Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70645 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72634 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
A South Carolina valedictorian garnered wild applause after he ripped up his pre-approved speech and delivered the Lord’s prayer at his high school graduation on Saturday.
The act was apparently in protest of the Pickens County School District’s decision to no longer include prayer at graduation ceremonies, Christian News reported. Officials said the decision was made after the district was barraged with complaints by atheist groups.
SEE RELATED: Atheist on graduation prayer: It’s ‘religious bullying’
But that didn’t stop Roy Costner IV of Liberty High School. He ripped up his graduation speech for all to see, before he started talking about his Christian upbringing, Christian News reported.
“Those that we look up to, they have helped carve and mold us into the young adults that we are today,” he said.“I’m so glad that both of my parents led me to the Lord at a young age.”
“And I think most of you will understand when I say…” he paused.“Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name…”
The auditorium began to erupt with applause and cheers.
“Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,” he continued.“For Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.”
Pickens County School District spokesman John Eby said that no disciplinary action will be taken against Mr. Costner.
Chasmar, J. "Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord’s prayer." The Washington Times. Web. 6/5/2013.
So they chose someone who would break the law as their representative as the "best" they have to offer. What a horrible school, a better school should get their funding.
Imhotep

Murfreesboro, TN

#72635 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
Have yet to see one that actually captures ALL the variables as well as this one *in My personal opinion anyway!
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein
More from Albert ;)

- Albert Einstein, Out Of My Later Years:
"One strength of the Communist system ...is that it has some of the characteristics of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion."

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
-Albert Einstein

I particularly like this one - taken from a letter Einstein wrote shortly before he died....

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein

And I saved the best for last... LOL

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72636 Jun 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Genuine Christhole Terrorist™ duly noted, recorded and reported.
Thanks for playing.
I noted that nothing you said, above, is an argument in support of your hate-god.
You don't like reading quotes by Elanor Roosevelt?
I like reading all types of different materials!

As for the rest of your post-
YOU might have a "hate-god" and be a "christhole terrorist"- but I don't, and am not (whatever a "christhole terrorist is) but I will say, it does sound like a personal issue, of your own!!
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72637 Jun 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully he was arrested and sent directly to jail, for violating the constitution like he did.
And just for laughs? You hatecultists get a brandy-new MARTYR too!
Everybody wins!
Nope, apparently (as seen in the video as well the crowd LOVED and appreciated (rather than hated) the young mans spur of the moment changes in HIS achievement speech.
How nice for a change-a crowd of NON-hate filled people, supporting NON-hate-filled kids!!
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72639 Jun 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So they chose someone who would break the law as their representative as the "best" they have to offer. What a horrible school, a better school should get their funding.
I don't think those are qualifications in earning the achievement of being a Valedictorian.
I think it's Great that people opted NOT to take the vile hate road with it.
Kids just starting out- deserve MUCH better than just hate, from haters.
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72640 Jun 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
More from Albert ;)
- Albert Einstein, Out Of My Later Years:
"One strength of the Communist system ...is that it has some of the characteristics of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion."
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
-Albert Einstein
I particularly like this one - taken from a letter Einstein wrote shortly before he died....
"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein
"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein
And I saved the best for last... LOL
"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein
I already have a favorite Einstien quote, but thank you anyway.
John

United States

#72641 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, apparently (as seen in the video as well the crowd LOVED and appreciated (rather than hated) the young mans spur of the moment changes in HIS achievement speech.
How nice for a change-a crowd of NON-hate filled people, supporting NON-hate-filled kids!!
Notice the tolerance of these liberal atheists LOL. They try to silence or arrest all those that don't jibe with their agenda. No wonder atheist regimes have been the biggest butchers in history. Come silence me loons. Cowards on ALL levels. Keep pushing though you aren't going to like the results.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72642 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think those are qualifications in earning the achievement of being a Valedictorian.
Kids just starting out- deserve MUCH better than just hate, from haters.
So choosing a now known law breaker, someone who cares nothing about the laws, as their "best" is not a good reflection of their school, no matter how you spin it.
John

United States

#72643 Jun 6, 2013
Atheism is simply disbelief. Nothing more. I also believe the Obama administrations talking points on Benghazi, IRS, and Fox/AP, drones, spying on law abiding citizens, jobs,,,,,
You're dismissed offhandedly because I've been here four years and you don't have one example of evidence in this arena you hold others accountable to. Show me it.
This is a collection of bigots with zero intellectual honesty. It's why you can't answer my questions relevantly.
God doesn't meet your criteria. Nothing else does either. Yet you attack God with specificity.
I contend the evidences and reasons for a prime mover trump any other possibility. I am willing to debate that. What's your accountable position?
If you don't have one and can't show the methodology where a prime mover is somehow less likely than others you are just loons. It's obvious that's the case.
Your turn to repeat nothing.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.6
John

United States

#72644 Jun 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So choosing a now known law breaker, someone who cares nothing about the laws, as their "best" is not a good reflection of their school, no matter how you spin it.
Did Eric Holder or Obama give the speech? Get your nothing out of here bigot. This is an atheism forum. At least act like you care about evidence. Magic science!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72645 Jun 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. The entire staff of that school should be sacked, and replaced with responsible people.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72646 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU might have a "hate-god" and be a "christhole terrorist"- but I don't, and am not (whatever a "christhole terrorist is) but I will say, it does sound like a personal issue, of your own!!
The bible-god is a hate-god, silly person.

All Genuine Christians™ are basically terrorists of one stripe or another.

It's not personal, until hatecultists like YOU try to get laws passed based on your bigotry.

Or refuse to allow equality laws to be passed because of your bigotry.

Either way? hate-cultist.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72647 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
Classic persecution of all NON-CHRISTIANS IN ATTENDANCE.

And you praise this display of persecution and bigotry.

As I noted earlier?

You are just another hate-cultist.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72648 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, sure-- politics always plays a role in these too-- the teachers pass on their favorites, and are hard on anyone who isn't a club member.
JoanofArk wrote:
But they DID-- all NON-CHRISTIANS in attendance were persecuted by his breaking of the LAW.

But you hate-cultists DESPISE the law, don't you?

You think your evil bible is somehow .. above all that, right?

Right.

No wonder you are called "hate cult" by outsiders...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72649 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
I already have a favorite Einstien quote, but thank you anyway.
Of course!

Anything that feeds into your culture of hate...
bnzo

Santiago, Chile

#72650 Jun 6, 2013
john wrote:
Unfortunately, many atheists are antitheists. Foreshadowing where this thread will end up I'll ask a simple question. What position are defending? Disbelief is not belief, and mocking religion/God is usually the response to a simple question. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
Im sorry john, perhaps you could explain why asking I believe - as an antitheist, would stump me?

I could offer you two concepts that might have escaped you. A-theism. of course, is an absence of a belief in gods - and only gods. Atheists are free to believe in flying kettles around saturn.
In matters biblical however, I "believe" in the fundamental assumptions of reality - i.e. that we exist, and that the world exists. Of course if I did not, life would be short.

I don't even "believe" in logic - it's a nonsense application of the concept. Logic is a tool, it's irrefutably demonstrated to work - it WORKS - that is not a belief, that is a fact.Is it the BEST tool? we can't know - but we do know it's the best tool we have.

So john, my cards are on the table, you know what I believe. I do not enjoy your headgames I see here - so how about you demonstrate some intellectual honesty?- what do you believe?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72651 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like reading quotes by Elanor Roosevelt?
I like reading all types of different materials!
When you've learned that lying about god being real is immoral, let us know.

Until then, you're just a simple ignorant liar with no proof of god.
John

United States

#72652 Jun 7, 2013
@bnzo. Try again. Maybe try origin. Why is it that's always conveniently skipped. I eagerly await your I don't know.
John

United States

#72653 Jun 7, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was and am simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitimate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
You weren't saying?27
John

United States

#72654 Jun 7, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 69,725 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr candlesmell 94,151
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 18 hr blacklagoon 3 138
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 15 dollarsbill 5
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971