Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70631 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72503 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is a claim. Theism explains why we are here. Atheism does not explain why we are here. Theism explains why there is something rather than nothing. Atheism does not. Theism explains why there is order in the universe. Atheism does not. I could go on. <quoted text> No. What is really important is atheism explains nothing.
Yet, the why does not cure illness, fly us to the Moon, build computers, or save lives .... it's not an answer even if it was based on facts.
KJV

United States

#72505 Jun 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Alright, what does theism explain?

Does it explain how viruses evolve to become stronger and deadlier? Nope, need evolution and virology for that.

Does it explain how to build a computer better? Nope, need electronics and metallurgy for that.

Does it explain how to solve world hunger with better crops? Nope, need evolution and genetics for that.

Does it explain how to cure cancer? Nope, neither does science yet but there are a lot of breakthroughs the more we involve things like evolution.

Does it explain how to transplant a pig's heart into a human child so that child can survive until it's large enough for a human heart? Nope, need evolution and genetics for that.

Does it explain how we can work to reduce our negative impact on the environment? Nope, need lots of science for that.

Does it explain how to build a craft that can reach the Moon? Nope, need a lot of things for that.

Does it explain where to find genetic ailments to overcome and one day correct? Nope, need evolution and genetics for that.

Does it explain how to purify the beneficial chemicals in plants for medicine? Nope, need chemistry for that.

I fail to see what it answers or how it's helpful.
Did some ask KK to show off her stupidity?

Wow. Nice job KK.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72506 Jun 2, 2013
[QUOTE who="KJV
"]<quoted text>
Wow. Nice job KK.[/QUOTE]

Says the creationist cult liar with no proof of god.
KJV

United States

#72507 Jun 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Yet, the why does not cure illness, fly us to the Moon, build computers, or save lives .... it's not an answer even if it was based on facts.
So do you believe we are gods for doing these things?

Oh my we built a computer we must be gods.

Did you know the first computer was built over 2000 years ago? And it did not need windows or electricity. It was a computer just the same. Real god stuff there!

Location hidden

#72508 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is a claim. Theism explains why we are here. Atheism does not explain why we are here. Theism explains why there is something rather than nothing. Atheism does not. Theism explains why there is order in the universe. Atheism does not. I could go on. <quoted text> No. What is really important is atheism explains nothing.
Theism is a lie with no facts or evidence behind it.

Atheism is honesty and higher morality than theism.

When theist learn how to be more honest, their morals will look more appealing to atheists

Location hidden

#72509 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Since atheism explains nothing and Theism explains pretty much everything then Theism wins by default.
Was that what the competition was? To make up some bullsh*t and pass it off as the meaning of the universe?

I didn't know atheists entered.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#72510 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Theism explains why we are here. Atheism does not explain why we are here. Theism explains why there is something rather than nothing. Atheism does not. Theism explains why there is order in the universe. Atheism does not. I could go on.
Yes. Theism claims to know the answers without evidence that can be tested.
Atheism says that evidence isn't good enough.... Please try again later.

I would say most atheists would tell you that they would believe in a god if the evidence was presented. So far that hasn't been done and it become frustrating when people judge you for not believing in something that to you is the equivalent of believing in Santa clause.

I take that back... There seems to be more evidence for Santa.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#72511 Jun 2, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
Atheism says that evidence isn't good enough....
And explains nothing.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#72512 Jun 2, 2013
John wrote:
Something>nothing.
Do tell us how this God you allege came into existence.

Location hidden

#72513 Jun 2, 2013
John wrote:
.... and attack the rational believers.
There is no such thing as a rational believer, if words mean anything believing with no evidence is irrational.

For hundreds of years biblicists have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible's teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a liberal sprinkling of Old Testament moralisms. The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft-noted failure to practice what they preach, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Biblicists practice what can only be described as "selective morality". What they like, they expound; what they don't like, they ignore, even though the validity or strength of one is no less than that of the other. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addresed 2,000 years ago. They enjoy quoting the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and some of Paul's preachings, for example, but don't pretend to heed other, equally valid, maxims.

Location hidden

#72514 Jun 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Theism is a lie with no facts or evidence behind it.
Atheism is honesty and higher morality than theism.
When theist learn how to be more honest, their morals will look more appealing to atheists
Once the theists become honest about the fact that they have no facts they become Atheists. Everyday someone leaves the delusional invisible friends club and joins the thinking atheists and begins to use logic and reason that is always kept on the back burner when one is warming pews.

And keeping with my tradition of always presenting evidence that proves the Bible is unreliable and can not be trusted:

Ex. 15:3 ("The Lord is a man of war")

versus
Rom. 15:33 ("Now the God of peace be with you all"),
1 Cor. 14:33 ("For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace") and
2 Cor. 13:11 ("...and the God of peace and love shall be with you")

Location hidden

#72515 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> And explains nothing.
Atheism is a lack of belief. Science is what is there to explain stuff.

What an idiot, defeated and still talking.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#72516 Jun 2, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as a rational believer, if words mean anything believing with no evidence is irrational.
God hypothesis is rational given all we know and the fact it explains things. Atheism, on the other hand is infantile in that it makes a lot of noise on one end and has no responsibility on the other. All the whining about lack of evidence ignores the fact the default position explains nothing and claims it does not have to. When evidence is offered it is dismissed. When Theism is argued using a series of arguments the arguments are picked apart as opposed to being viewed as a whole. The problem is not and never has been with the evidence.
For hundreds of years biblicists have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible's teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a liberal sprinkling of Old Testament moralisms. The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft-noted failure to practice what they preach,
You are looking at it from a jaundiced point of view. Besides even if what you say is true and all Theists fail it does not falsify Theism. It means Theism is difficult. Nobody argues that. In a lot of ways it is counter intuitive. Who wants to be a pacifist when knocking the crap out of a big mouth to put them in their place is so much easier? Who wants to remain celibate in a world where women are practically giving it away? Who wants to love their enemies? Who wants to go to prisons to hold Bible studies for a bunch of convicts when a person is married, works and has children? Theism means i am responsible to God for the life He has granted and His expectations are excellence in everything. To reach out to the lepers and help when i can no matter how i may feel. Theism means to tell people the truth. What they need to hear no matter the consequence not only to me but to my family.
but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Biblicists practice what can only be described as "selective morality". What they like, they expound; what they don't like, they ignore, even though the validity or strength of one is no less than that of the other. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addresed 2,000 years ago. They enjoy quoting the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and some of Paul's preachings, for example, but don't pretend to heed other, equally valid, maxims.
If Theism is true then atheism is false and what is false is not equally valid to what is true.
KJV

United States

#72517 Jun 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
[QUOTE who="KJV
"]<quoted text>
Wow. Nice job KK. "

Says the creationist cult liar with no proof of god.
No, says me.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72518 Jun 2, 2013
John wrote:
My accountable position is a prime mover.
One which cannot be supported by ANYTHING-- let alone facts.

Modern Quantum Mechanics has done away with the need for this ... ahem... "prime mover".

But you?

YOU NEVER EVEN ONE TIME PUT AN ARGUMENT IN SUPPORT OF IT.

You lose.

Again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72519 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Since atheism explains nothing and Theism explains pretty much everything then Theism wins by default.
If by "explain" you mean "make up shit and lie about it", then sure...

... your madeup shit (theism) can "explain" stuff I suppose.

In EXACTLY the same way that "Santa Claus" explains the "mysterious" appearance of presents at GiftMas time in December.

<laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72520 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is a claim. Theism explains why we are here.
In the EXACT same way that the Tooth Fairy "explains" how that "mysterious" quarter got under that pillow, that one time...
lightbeamrider wrote:
Atheism does not explain why we are here.
Correct: it does not need to, nor does it try. The fall-back position is to let SCIENCE explain these things (but science is not atheism)
lightbeamrider wrote:
Theism explains why there is something rather than nothing.
In the EXACT SAME WAY that Harry Potter "explains" why Voldemort is dead....
lightbeamrider wrote:
Atheism does not.
Correct again. Atheism is simply asking for PROOF OF GODS. That's all it is, and all it ever was.

Science, on the other hand? The REAL opposite of Theism? SCIENCE EXPLAINS LOTS OF STUFF. For real, too.

Theism? It "explains" in the exact same way that the Easter Bunny "explains" the sudden and amazing appearance of chocolate bunny rabbits in Spring.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Theism explains why there is order in the universe.
Sure, in the same way that Thor explains why there is lightning.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Atheism does not. I could go on.
You could keep making an idiot of yourself, but why bother?

You cannot possibly become MORE of an idiot than you already are...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72521 Jun 2, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Theism claims to know the answers without evidence that can be tested.
Atheism says that evidence isn't good enough.... Please try again later.
I would say most atheists would tell you that they would believe in a god if the evidence was presented. So far that hasn't been done and it become frustrating when people judge you for not believing in something that to you is the equivalent of believing in Santa clause.
I take that back... There seems to be more evidence for Santa.
Indeed. Santa even has hundreds of movies and films "proving" his existence...

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72522 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> And explains nothing.
Correct: atheism simply asks you god-robots for PROOF of your god.

Can you do THAT? Can you show PROOF?

No?

Interesting.... it appears that SCIENCE is better at EXPLAINING THINGS.

REAL things-- not bullshit things like you theists want.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72523 Jun 2, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> God hypothesis is rational given all we know and the fact it explains things.
Santa Claus "explains" things too.

Is belief in Santa Claus .. rational? Why or why not?

Thor "explains" lightning. Is belief in Thor rational or irrational?

Why or why not?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min Eagle 12 21,395
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 9 min Richardfs 307
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 min emperorjohn 20,248
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 22 min emperorjohn 429
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 27 min Eagle 12 10,338
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min New Age Spiritual... 257,130
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Rose_NoHo 45,539
More from around the web