Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Since: May 13

Hightstown, NJ

#72377 May 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
At a BARE MIMINUM OF STANDARD, yes.
But I would expect SUPERIOR to my way--I'm only human after all.
But as a MINIMUM, yes. I expect that-- and more.
From a being worthy of the title.
Might DOES NOT, in fact, make RIGHT.
Never has.
Never will.
bob, you have failed to establish why you think your way would b better. how do you know that your way is superior? what factors do you have to take into consideration? does your way sufficiently interact with the nature of man no matter what view you hold to? does your way account for free will? is your way even logically possible given human free will? bob, i suspect that in this case, you lack sufficient knowledge of all these factors to defend your claim to said knowledge. and i dont men personally, i just mean logically, your not in a possition to defend that claim logically

Since: May 13

Hightstown, NJ

#72378 May 29, 2013
<quoted text>
No-- you are not "answering" my points at ALL.
You are **literally** building a straw-man (which has nothing at all to do with what I said) and then proudly knocking down your straw-man declaring a win.
bob, i already adressed this, but im willing to show how my questions and responses logically follow from your claim. theres no strawman here. im not making any arguments that you arent making yourself. why should i prove the very thing your claim presupposes? your in essence raising your own side argument, a red herring, in order to skirt the issue you yourself rised. i dont have to prove any of the presuppostitions of your argument. but, if you dont accept them as valid, then we can just make the complaint invalid as well and call it a night, since im exausted for work lol.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72379 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
ktts, bob is making a claim that his morals are better. he has yet to present the foundation for that assertion. not human suffering is complex, and when it comes to judging Gods actions, we arent in a position to know all the reasons why he lets things happen. but you can certainly agree with this. isnt it true that the vast majority of suffering caused is human on human suffering?that is to say, that humans are the cause of the vast majority of the suffering of others?
Nothing to prove, your god is a monster that lacks any decency, which, since your god is really just your own ego, means you are a monster.
sad

Park Hills, MO

#72380 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing to prove, your god is a monster that lacks any decency, which, since your god is really just your own ego, means you are a monster.
I don't know you or anything about you but how can a person look around, see natural beauty, a new baby, the tiny intricate details of human beings/nature/animals and not believe in a higher being? I will say a prayer for you tonight and I apologize if that offends you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72381 May 30, 2013
sad wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know you or anything about you but how can a person look around, see natural beauty, a new baby, the tiny intricate details of human beings/nature/animals and not believe in a higher being? I will say a prayer for you tonight and I apologize if that offends you.
Easy, nothing suggests that such a being exists save dreams and fancies of humans wishing such a being existed so they could blame everything on these beings.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#72382 May 30, 2013
sad wrote:
<quoted text>
well, all of the religious cult gods have been proven to be false, like the god of the bible, so believing in them is just silly.

as yet there is not one teensy shred of evidence to suggest any god, gods or goddesses exist.

why would you think that? just because our world is pretty? that's pretty lame thinking...

St. Croix valley

#72383 May 30, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
ktts, bob is making a claim that his morals are better. he has yet to present the foundation for that assertion. not human suffering is complex, and when it comes to judging Gods actions, we arent in a position to know all the reasons why he lets things happen. but you can certainly agree with this. isnt it true that the vast majority of suffering caused is human on human suffering?that is to say, that humans are the cause of the vast majority of the suffering of others?
since your god has already been proven to be a myth this is a hypothetical question, but how do claim this god to be moral since he condones slavery?

(the answer is that your god was made up by humans, that is why he has so many human traits, like being a vindictive, jealous little prick

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#72384 May 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Well... they HAVE been successful at ONE thing.
They HAVE managed to interfere with Obama's presidency.
A lot.
If Obama was praising the value of getting clean air each day?
The ReThuglicans would immediately begin praising the virtues of dirty air...
With all their venom against common sense regulations, they are doing just that.

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#72385 May 30, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
bob, do you know how many of those people turn to christ when theyre in jail? how many of those people see themselves in a horrible place and cry out to God to change them? also, do you know how many of those in prison just say theyre christian to make it seem like theyve changed?
That is not evidence of God. We want evidence. Footprints, photographs, DNA, fossils, or even something we can notice with our senses. We are not interested in the delusional fantasies of criminals in prison.
Lincoln

United States

#72386 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing to prove, your god is a monster that lacks any decency, which, since your god is really just your own ego, means you are a monster.
is this warmed over Dawkins as have seen the exact quote from Quantum-Bot?

Favor dialog with respect between all peoples, life is mysterious and those certain regarding metaphysics may be in error
Imhotep

Asheville, NC

#72387 May 30, 2013
~~~\\\\|||
~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOo
CONGRESS’S AVERAGE I.Q. EXPECTED TO RISE IN 2015

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—The average I.Q. of a member of the House of Representatives is expected to rise sharply in 2015, experts said today.

The experts, who indicated that they were “cautiously optimistic” about the development, said that the gains were most likely to be made in the Midwest.

The expected rise in I.Q. could mean that the average congressperson would have a greater grasp of basic concepts in math and science, including the law of evolution, as well as addition and subtraction.

The last time a branch of the federal government experienced such a significant increase in average I.Q., experts said, was the executive branch in 2009.
John

United States

#72389 May 30, 2013
I contend the preponderance of evidence lies on the side of a prime mover vs any other accountable position of belief. Your entire forum is a nothing farce. I love watching you fight so hard for a supposed nonclaim.
Your whole narrative is reliant on God to have a voice. Logic and rationality are lost on liberal atheists. Do you have an example of evidence that meets the criteria you hold others accountable to?
How does a bigot measure the evidence for the following possibilities: prime mover, always was, something from nothing. Show your work.
You can't even make up an accountable position to debate vs a prime mover. The reason your forum won't engage is they realize just how futile their nonposition is.
Debate nothing with your other personalities. I don't debate nothing Stumpy.*1

St. Croix valley

#72390 May 30, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
is this warmed over Dawkins as have seen the exact quote from Quantum-Bot?
Favor dialog with respect between all peoples, life is mysterious and those certain regarding metaphysics may be in error
why would any rational person respect known and proven lies?
John

United States

#72391 May 30, 2013
The tick is back with the same old nothing. You skipped my questions. Let's compare evidences. Your forum. Pick your poison. Your forums avoidance just screams with the realization you know there is nothing substantative to match a prime mover. Throw your pebbles and run. I'm not impressed.

Hate that God, attack belief, bigots unite for nothing!!
Lincoln

United States

#72392 May 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why would any rational person respect known and proven lies?
1. They voted for Mitt Romney

2. They are in the Tea Party

3. They send money to the 700 Club

4. They are poor and vote Republican

St. Croix valley

#72393 May 30, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
1. They voted for Mitt Romney
2. They are in the Tea Party
3. They send money to the 700 Club
4. They are poor and vote Republican
what does that have to do with it? there are stupid people on all parts of the political spectrum. you still hear lots of idiots parroting the mantra that the wealthy don't pay their fair share of taxes...
Lincoln

United States

#72394 May 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what does that have to do with it? there are stupid people on all parts of the political spectrum. you still hear lots of idiots parroting the mantra that the wealthy don't pay their fair share of taxes...
Is this a Mantra or a prescription for the reelection of President Obama in 2012?
Lincoln

United States

#72395 May 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what
Hey

Talk to Dawkins and
out popped an agnostic!:-)

Agnostics may outnumber atheists and may be less strident?
Peace!

http://www.examiner.com/article/richard-dawki...
John

United States

#72396 May 30, 2013
Atheism is simply disbelief. Nothing more. I also believe the Obama administrations talking points on Benghazi, IRS, and Fox/AP.
You're dismissed offhandedly because I've been here four years and you don't have one example of evidence in this arena you hold others accountable to. Show me it.
This is a collection of bigots with zero intellectual honesty. It's why you can't answer my questions relevantly.
God doesn't meet your criteria. Nothing else does either. Yet you attack God with specificity.
I contend the evidences and reasons for a prime mover trump any other possibility. I am willing to debate that. What's your accountable position?
If you don't have one and can't show the methodology where a prime mover is somehow less likely than others you are just loons. It's obvious that's the case.
Your turn to repeat nothing.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.1
John

United States

#72397 May 30, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was and am simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitimate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
You weren't saying?19

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Knowledge- 244,822
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 50 min Paul Porter1 20,572
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 1 hr Anonymous1386 11
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Gary Coaldigger 10,738
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 12 hr Shizle 15
Santa vs. God: logic? Wed Shizle 2
Is the Christian god good? Wed Shizle 4
More from around the web