Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70634 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Since: May 13

Trenton, NJ

#72351 May 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
1) you have failed to prove there IS a building at all
2) you have failed to show the as-yet-unproved building is, in fact, on fire
3) you have failed to establish that it is even possible to LEAVE said building (which hasn't been established anyhow)
4) you have failed to show, that if by some imaginary process, we COULD leave the as-yet-unproven building (which may or may not be on fire), that YOU have the answer to what happens... next.
5)...
I could go on? But the point is clear: you have failed to establish even a BASE LINE for your claims.
And?
You have NOT addressed my point:
THERE CAN BE NO GOD BEHIND ANY, WHO CARES, DUE TO THE OBVIOUS LACK OF GODLY-GUIDANCE.
All of your excuses? Are just that: excuses.
Not explanations AT ALL.
bob, im answering the question within the context of your own question lol. your the one making the claim that this is significant. you have to make your own argument, or you have to retract the argument and rephrase it. again im answering the question within the context of what your own question assumes. i dont have to prove any of that until you make that the issue. but the context of your own question assumes that the main reason why this matters is for salvation. in your view, God is a monster for not correcting people who could potentially go to hell. well im answering your question within that context. i havent made any excuses, because im not making mountains out of molehills.
Lincoln

United States

#72353 May 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Stop.
The god you worship?
Is nothing short of a MONSTER.....
Wonder how many people he converts with his hatred:-)
LOL

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72354 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
lol bob, you keep asserting the same things, but you miss my point consistently. if all those people have christ in their heart, it doesnt matter where they go to worship, theyre saved. so again, your consern about eternal damnation isnt valid because the people are still being saved regardless of if theyre pentacostal or baptist or catholic. the problem is that you draw the line fare beneath where even jesus himself drew it. it God did it your way, it is quite possible that by your method many more people would be lost. this also has to do with how much knowledge we can claim or account for. your raising a nonissue on individual preferences and personal grounds. its not a logically valid argument.
Lying about your god being real doesn't make your faith based mental illness any more appealing thanks.

Atheists have higher morals than theists that choose to lie about god.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72355 May 29, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder how many people he converts with his hatred:-)
LOL
Bob doesn't convert anyone. He merely responds to creationist trolls like yourself who are frustrated at having no proof of god and knowing full well that your beliefs are utter b*llocks.

You get what you put in with bob.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72356 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
lol i love the way you put it. the analagy was more concerned with the safety of the person rather than the consequences of how they jump. if im in a burning building and i jump into someones arms, i dont care if my legs broken, im alive, and thts what matters lol. but let me say, youre awesome for pointing that out.:)
People can die from a broken leg as well, something no one likes to talk about, not to mention a broken leg would be the best case scenario in such an event, we're talking broken spine or even major head trauma, yes, landing on your feet can cause major head trauma depending on the impact point. How is almost always more important than who, almost always. For even the darkest of hearts can save a life.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72357 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
so basically what your saying is God should do it your way. why? why should convergence be significant? why should God do that, given hat you dont know that the salvation of more people would be the case. in a christian world view, theres no reason why we should all blend. second, theres not reason why God should restrict the freewill of anyone to think differently about side issues. im sorry bob, but its really not significant. the argument isnt foundational.
Because we have better ethics than your god.
Lincoln

United States

#72358 May 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob doesn't convert anyone. He merely responds to creationist trolls like yourself who are frustrated at having no proof of god and knowing full well that your beliefs are utter b*llocks.
LOL

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72359 May 29, 2013
Im your Huckleberry wrote:
<quoted text>
First, how would you know which of the 45,000+ brands he subscribes too?
Easy: if a REAL god subscribed to ONE?

Then it would be quite simple to spot that one-- for who can compete with GODLY ADVICE AND GUIDANCE?

No mere human agency, that's for certain.

So with very little effort, it would be quite simple to spot the REAL one backed by a REAL GOD.

Is that the case?

No.

None are superior in any measurable way to the others.

Conclusion: no god behind ANY.

Refute THAT, if you have the stones to.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72360 May 29, 2013
Im your Huckleberry wrote:
<quoted text>
I could go on? But the point is clear: you have failed to establish even a BASE LINE for your claims.
All of your excuses? Are just that: excuses.
Not explanations AT ALL.
Let's see your FACTS that prove your GOD is real.

Can you?

No?

Run along--- you lose.

Again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72361 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
lol bob, you keep asserting the same things,
Yes---because you keep IGNORING them completely.
Ray puelerico wrote:
but you miss my point consistently.
Your 'points' do not actually address mine.

Your 'points' are what is known as a straw-man-- you ignore my point completely, or you deliberately misinterpret what I said, to "score" against a false statement.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72362 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
if all those people have christ in their heart, it doesnt matter where they go to worship, theyre saved.
Does it matter if they murder, while having this ... mythical thing?

Does it matter if they are thieves, all while having "christ in their heart"?

I ask, because a survey of prison populations shows that most believe in your Jesus, much as you do.

And you just said that NOTHING MATTERS, apart from them believing in your Jesus....

... which is why YOUR religion FAILS at ethics.

There are NO CONSEQUENCES to ANYTHING-- so long as you maintain the religious rituals.

That's not ethics.

That's.... an excuse to be a bad person.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72363 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
lol i love the way you put it. the analagy was more concerned with the safety of the person rather than the consequences of how they jump. if im in a burning building and i jump into someones arms, i dont care if my legs broken, im alive, and thts what matters lol. but let me say, youre awesome for pointing that out.:)
1) you failed to establish everyone is in an actual building.

2) you failed to establish that it is, in fact, on fire.

3) you failed to establish that it is possible to leave the building voluntarily.

4) you failed to establish, that there is something beyond the building to jump-TO.

Yes, you were using an analogy.

But my points apply EQUALLY to the religion you were alluding to with your analogy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72364 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
so basically what your saying is God should do it your way.
At a BARE MIMINUM OF STANDARD, yes.

But I would expect SUPERIOR to my way--I'm only human after all.

But as a MINIMUM, yes. I expect that-- and more.

From a being worthy of the title.

Might DOES NOT, in fact, make RIGHT.

Never has.

Never will.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72365 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
bob, im answering the question within the context of your own question lol. your the one making the claim that this is significant. you have to make your own argument, or you have to retract the argument and rephrase it. again im answering the question within the context of what your own question assumes. i dont have to prove any of that until you make that the issue. but the context of your own question assumes that the main reason why this matters is for salvation. in your view, God is a monster for not correcting people who could potentially go to hell. well im answering your question within that context. i havent made any excuses, because im not making mountains out of molehills.
No-- you are not "answering" my points at ALL.

You are **literally** building a straw-man (which has nothing at all to do with what I said) and then proudly knocking down your straw-man declaring a win.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72366 May 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.

I do try.:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72367 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.

I expect at least AS GOOD as mere people, from ... a **god**.

Not worse--much-much worse, as the bible teaches....

... and given a lack of an UPDATE from ANY god over the intervening years?

Yeah.... modern people have superior in every way, to the ethics of the bible's deities.

And yes-- there are many gods described by the bible.

An ancient pagan, who thought there were many gods-- a chief or top god, controlling all the lessor deities.

Just as the bible speaks of-- only the names were changed. The abilities and attributes are pretty much the same...

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#72368 May 29, 2013
Dang, my stupid computer keeps on enlarging the text....busy entertaining the trolls, Bob?:D
Hattori

Ashburn, VA

#72369 May 29, 2013
If all MUSLIMS DIE THEN earth will became better than HEAVEN

Trenton, NJ

#72370 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
kitts, the thing im asking is that the evidence for that claim to be laid out in logical form by bob. bob is avoidng the issue he raised completely by dismissing my argument as a strawman. i would like to ask how he knows tht his way is better. now its not that i dont think hes capable of coming up with answers, but what im ultimately saying, and hes ultimately missing, is that his limmited human perspective does not allow him to defend the idea that his way is better, even if his original assertion was valid. also, his original assertion isnt valid because he neverestablishes why convergens is better. he merely defends the idea that he prefers it.

Trenton, NJ

#72371 May 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes---because you keep IGNORING them completely.
<quoted text>
Your 'points' do not actually address mine.
Your 'points' are what is known as a straw-man-- you ignore my point completely, or you deliberately misinterpret what I said, to "score" against a false statement.
bob, you continue to miss what im satying, so im going to have to break it down. the vast majority of christian theology on salvation goes to christ. the rest of the side issues are not important. your argument presupposes my world view. if i make in sylogistic form, this is your argument:

1:given a theistic world view, one would expect God to unite his people.

2: there are many branches of christianity, all of which claim to be the right way to serve God.

3:we do not see unification

4:therefor god either is a villain or he doesnt exist.

now if im mistaken, correct it in a logical form.

for your argument to even be valid, you have to presuppose my world view to say that it is valid. you have to say,"if God exists, this convergens should happen." even if you dont flat out say it, it is essencial to your entire complaint. so you cant backtrack and say that now i must prove this claim, because its your complaint that PRESUPPOSES that my world view is valid, and therefor either you can step back and retract your argument and reform it logically, or you can stick with your argument and defend your assertion that your way would indeed be better given ALL the possibilities and all the requirements for salvation in the hearts of ALL men and women EVERYWHERE. and im sorry for capitalizing, i still cant get the italics to work lol. bob, its not possible given our limited scope to defend the view your proposing. not to mention that you continue to miss the point that people who are saved are saved by accepting christ and living a life for him. can people be wrong in this, yes. but that an internal issue that each church addresses, and that ultimately given theism, god knows. your argument fails to account for free will, it lacs explanitory scope, it lack the power to hold to its owm claim to knowledge. bob, this argument desnt hold water my friend. we should turn to a more fruitful discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min renee 34,532
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 31 min Uncle Sam 14,878
News Millionaire Entrepreneur Wants to 'Make Atheism... 40 min Lawrence Wolf 396
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr ChristineM 255,503
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr ChristineM 20,053
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 8 hr emperorjohn 4,468
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 9 hr emperorjohn 168
More from around the web