Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70645 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

KJV

United States

#72280 May 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You may not have had parents but I did.
I better stop now

I was just having toooooo much fun!
KJV

United States

#72281 May 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>

My parents had unprotected sex: approximately 9 months later? Me.
That is one hell of a long time on the nest!
KJV

United States

#72282 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>

And the drip! Your poor father.
KJV

United States

#72283 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>

God, I sure never thought your farther would ever hold up his end of the bet. But I guess he did, like you said you're here.

I'll have to honer his grave. Must have been a horrible way to go. Poor bastard.
KJV

United States

#72284 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>

You know that question mark in your post is incorrect right?
KJV

United States

#72286 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>

You sure can paint a pretty gross picture!!!!!!!!!!
KJV

United States

#72287 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>One of the best Original Star Trek episodes.

So?
I liked city on the edge of tomorrow.
KJV

United States

#72288 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>I've read it 100's of times.

How on EARTH do you think I became an atheist, from once being a Genuine Christian™?

I read the bible... the WHOLE bible... cover-to-cover...

... I highly recommend that-- it'll make an ATHEIST out of you.
"I've read it 100's of times." LOL

This might have helped you so that just once you might have gotten it and not needed to try hundreds of times. The page numbers are on the bottom of the page.

LMFAO!

KJV

United States

#72289 May 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>Actually Bob, the irony meter 'goes boom' with KJ V.

It is obvious he or she has never read the Bible.
In fact I have yet to encounter a Theist poster in our forums that has read their Bible!

What say "know "is contained in a few carefully cherry picked versus provided by their clergy.

So great is the fear of hell fire they refuse to examine anything about the origin of the religion.

Since I never had religion, this is my observation.

And I might add...I have learned more about religious dementia by reading the content of these forums!

Some of these people are borderline!
One wonders what kind of life they actually have.
"it is obvious he or she has never read the Bible."

Ihop believe it or not the Bible is also written in English. So yes I have read it.

What Bible have you read?
Barbies bible of cooking?

LOL
KJV

United States

#72290 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>Hey! Lookit that: Atheists/etc OUTNUMBER any given Genuine Christhole™ brand!

Except for possibly the Cat'Licks....

<laughing>
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
ListenUpPeeps

Columbus, GA

#72293 May 27, 2013
In reality, there are no atheists - only rebels who hate the thought of following rules and laws that get in the way of their "lifestyle" choices.
That fact will become crystal clear once Jesus Christ sets His foot back down on this lit'l planet we call "home".
The Bible tells us that EVERY knee will bow to God Almighty.
Dunno about you - but I prefer to bow in obedience - not in defiance.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72296 May 28, 2013
ListenUpPeeps wrote:
In reality, there are no atheists - only rebels who hate the thought of following rules and laws that get in the way of their "lifestyle" choices.
That fact will become crystal clear once Jesus Christ sets His foot back down on this lit'l planet we call "home".
Oh look the mentally ill creationist have come out to play. And they've come to the conclusion that atheists dont exist!
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#72298 May 28, 2013
[QUOTE who="KJV
"]<quoted text>
"it is obvious he or she has never read the Bible."
Ihop believe it or not the Bible is also written in English. So yes I have read it.
What Bible have you read?
Barbies bible of cooking?
LOL[/QUOTE]

TOO FUNNY!

IS THE BUYBULL INSPIRED?

If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.
It should contain the perfection of philosophy.
It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.
There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
Its morality should be the highest, the purest.
Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.
It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.
It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.
It should be true.
Does the Old Testament satisfy this standard?
Is there anything in the Old Testament -- in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science -- above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
Is there one ray of light from any supernatural source?

The ancient Hebrews believed that this earth was the center of the universe, and that the sun, moon and stars were specks in the sky.
With this the Bible agrees.

They thought the earth was flat, with four corners; that the sky, the firmament, was solid -- the floor of Jehovah's house.
The Bible teaches the same.

They imagined that the sun journeyed about the earth, and that by stopping the sun the day could be lengthened.
The Bible agrees with this.

They believed that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman; that they had been created but a few years before, and that they, the Hebrews, were their direct descendants.

This the Bible teaches.

If anything is, or can be, certain, the writers of the Bible were mistaken about creation, astronomy, geology; about the causes of phenomena, the origin of evil and the cause of death.

Now, it must be admitted that if an infinite Being is the author of the Bible, he knew all sciences, all facts, and could not have made a mistake.

----------
So, just like you must choose a God, you must choose a Bible. And here are your Judeo-Christian choices:
1. The Jewish Pentateuch.
2. The Catholic Bible.
3. The Protestant Bible, any of many translations.
4. One of the many Protestant Bibles with the Book of Mormon thrown in.
5. One of the many Protestant Bibles with Science and Health, with Key to the Scriptures thrown in.

I repeat, which Bible?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#72299 May 28, 2013
ListenUpPeeps wrote:
so ... where is the evidence that supports your god?
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#72300 May 28, 2013
very bright wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said!
Atheism will continue to decline if we keep showing our friends, neighbors, co-workers, clients, etc. the hate-filled posts spewed on threads like this. No one would want to be an atheist after reading the steaming hatred from atheists.
Too bad... so sad...

Whine like the sheep you are. Trolling forums that reject your personal fantasies and imagining that you possess some superior knowledge.

Your own book, speaks volumes...
Here is good example.. NO THANKS!

"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26

Please take your superstitions elsewhere.
You are in the wrong forum.

Here is something you might understand...:-)

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23
John

United States

#72301 May 28, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was and am simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitimate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
You weren't saying?18
John

United States

#72302 May 28, 2013
Do you have any evidence that meets the evidentiary standard you hold others accountable to? Yes or no.
How does an atheist decide which is most or least likely? Always was, prime mover, something from nothing. Show your work. You have no problem making statements about probability that's ground in what?
Contrary to your assertation that atheism is simply disbelief I submit to you this forum LOL.
I'll repost something you may have missed.
Your loon friends are going to love Islam.
John

United States

#72303 May 28, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 69,396 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
John

United States

#72304 May 28, 2013
Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost four years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Four years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 69,390 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True
science that is repeatable and observable.
John

United States

#72305 May 28, 2013
I contend the preponderance of evidence lies on the side of a prime mover vs any other accountable position of belief. Your entire forum is a nothing farce. I love watching you fight so hard for a supposed nonclaim.
Your whole narrative is reliant on God to have a voice. Logic and rationality are lost on liberal atheists. Do you have an example of evidence that meets the criteria you hold others accountable to?
How does a bigot measure the evidence for the following possibilities: prime mover, always was, something from nothing. Show your work.
You can't even make up an accountable position to debate vs a prime mover. The reason your forum won't engage is they realize just how futile their nonposition is.
Debate nothing with your other personalities. I don't debate nothing Stumpy.;9

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Eagle 12 - 79,887
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 58
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 21 hr Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 23 hr The pope 258,485
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web