Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70634 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

John

United States

#72064 May 14, 2013
I contend the preponderance of evidence lies on the side of a prime mover vs any other accountable position of belief. Your entire forum is a nothing farce. I love watching you fight so hard for a supposed nonclaim.
Your whole narrative is reliant on God to have a voice. Logic and rationality are lost on liberal atheists. Do you have an example of evidence that meets the criteria you hold others accountable to?
How does a bigot measure the evidence for the following possibilities: prime mover, always was, something from nothing. Show your work.
You can't even make up an accountable position to debate vs a prime mover. The reason your forum won't engage is they realize just how futile their nonposition is.
Debate nothing with your other personalities. I don't debate nothing Stumpy.6
John

United States

#72065 May 14, 2013
Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost four years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Four years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 69,180 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True
science that is repeatable and observable.
John

United States

#72066 May 14, 2013
Come and see the show! My puppet parade will commence shortly. Our usual litany of nothing Obots will regale you with their disbelief and excuses for their master.

A special guest Imhotep will continue to mesmerize the audience with his bipolar thoughts and analysis.

The kids will be treated to a game of guess the truthful statement from proven liar Bob.

The show promises nothing. Questions will be rejected and in a symphony of synchronicity the crew of nothing will steer the topic to ?????(audience gasps)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72067 May 14, 2013
John wrote:
Zero net jobs since Obama took office. Not one!
Lie. Jobs are up.... but you enjoy eating the Yellow Snow from False News.

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72068 May 14, 2013
John wrote:
Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost four years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Four years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 69,180 posts to show otherwise.
Thor.

He's a god you can RESPECT.

Unlike your pansy-assed dead-Jew.

Your dead jew was a pansy-ass... he passively allowed himself to be killed by the Romans.

Lame.

Not Thor-- Thor wears chainmail, and has a hammer--- he would have blasted those Romans with lightning, then smack'em with his hammer.

Poor pantywaist Zombie-Jesus....
John

United States

#72069 May 14, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie. Jobs are up.... but you enjoy eating the Yellow Snow from False News.
Sad.
Puppet Bob was a big hit with the kids. They remained true to the game and remained silent as Bob had no truthful statement. He tried to trick them with a progressive tactic and wordplay.

Tommy in row #3 was interviewed post show and had the following comment, "Even puppets know there have been ZERO net job gains since Obozo took office."

Liar Bob had previously been given the bureau of labor statistics proof. Perhaps he should watch Fox news, but he would rather lie and lead his puppet life.

Bob is a bad American.(Kids boo in unison)
John

United States

#72070 May 14, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Thor.
He's a god you can RESPECT.
Unlike your pansy-assed dead-Jew.
Your dead jew was a pansy-ass... he passively allowed himself to be killed by the Romans.
Lame.
Not Thor-- Thor wears chainmail, and has a hammer--- he would have blasted those Romans with lightning, then smack'em with his hammer.
Poor pantywaist Zombie-Jesus....
Oh my. My reaction was visceral. The shock still resonates. Bwahahahaha!!!!!

March, march, hate that God, march, march, puppet dance.

Atheism is simply disbelief. Nothing more.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72071 May 14, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Puppet Bob was a big hit with the kids. They remained true to the game and remained silent as Bob had no truthful statement. He tried to trick them with a progressive tactic and wordplay.
Tommy in row #3 was interviewed post show and had the following comment, "Even puppets know there have been ZERO net job gains since Obozo took office."
Liar Bob had previously been given the bureau of labor statistics proof. Perhaps he should watch Fox news, but he would rather lie and lead his puppet life.
Bob is a bad American.(Kids boo in unison)
Your jealousy of me is duly noted.

Thanks for playing.

I suspect it's your eating of too much Yellow Snow from Faux SNews.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72072 May 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Some do and many are agnostic and atheists.
Religion important in winning elections in the USA
Tell that to Palin who followed your cult of liars and lost.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#72073 May 14, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes-- atheism is not belief.

But have you considered that you worship a Zombie Jesus.

After 2000 years, there is no doubt that maggots are infesting his skull.

If your Zombie-Jesus gets in a fight? He could fling maggots on his enemies.

In contrast to Thor, who would smash his enemies with his magical hammer.

A pantywaist Zombie-Jesus for a pantywaist follower.

Location hidden

#72074 May 14, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
How come all you Creationist trolls say "bwahahaha" whenever you get cornered for lying?

I've noticed Educated What, Buck, Lincoln and now John too.

Must be the same weak creationist poster.
Lincoln

United States

#72075 May 14, 2013
Paul Wallace

Physics & astronomy faculty, Agnes Scott College
GET UPDATES FROM Paul Wallace

The Real Problem With Atheism

"To become a theologian, start with an addiction." -- Kim Fabricius at Faith & Theology

Halloween is my favorite holiday. That may sound strange coming from a Christian, but it's true. The emotional, religious and social pressures that come during the seasons of Advent and Lent-Easter tend to shut me down. But in October there's no hype and I feel free to celebrate the annual cooling of Atlanta by laughing at what scares me.

What scares me? Plenty of things. "The Shining" scares me. Cancer scares me. The vulnerability of my children scares me. And for a number of years now the New Atheists have scared me.

It's true: Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett and even sweet lovable PZ Myers. I am not making this up. These gentlemen, with their impressive and sustained frontal assault on all religion everywhere, have scared me.

It began eight years ago, with the publication of Harris' "The End of Faith." I was instantly and morbidly fascinated. For years I read their books, lurked furtively about their blogs, and came to know a number of atheists personally. My fascination has been persistent and powerful enough to baffle me: Why should I care so much?

A scary question. As a professor of physics and former working scientist, I have told myself that I care because the New Atheists claim that science -- of all things -- disproves God's existence. During my years as a seminary student I told myself that I care out of theological interest. But what really scared me was the possibility that my fascination was an index of my own unconscious unbelief. I gradually began to ask myself: Am I a closet atheist?

No. In my time of trying on Yes I never felt the familiar click and closure of discovery, of having come across something true.

Yet I was unsatisfied. I could not get to the bottom of my disagreement with these people.

Then, just last week, it happened: click and closure. I was leafing through my well-worn copy of William James' "The Varieties of Religious Experience." When I came across -- for the nth time -- that section of the book in which James draws a distinction between two psychological types, the "healthy-minded" and the "sick soul," I saw clearly what separates me from the New Atheists: pessimism.

The truth is, if I were more optimistic I'd probably be an atheist.

Location hidden

#72076 May 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Paul Wallace
"To become a theologian, start with an addiction." -- Kim Fabricius at Faith & Theology
Halloween is my favorite holiday. That may sound strange coming from a Christian, but it's true. The emotional, religious and social pressures that come during the seasons of Advent and Lent-Easter tend to shut me down. But in October there's no hype and I feel free to celebrate the annual cooling of Atlanta by laughing at what scares me.
What scares me? Plenty of things. "The Shining" scares me. Cancer scares me. The vulnerability of my children scares me. And for a number of years now the New Atheists have scared me.
It's true: Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett and even sweet lovable PZ Myers. I am not making this up. These gentlemen, with their impressive and sustained frontal assault on all religion everywhere, have scared me.
It began eight years ago, with the publication of Harris' "The End of Faith." I was instantly and morbidly fascinated. For years I read their books, lurked furtively about their blogs, and came to know a number of atheists personally. My fascination has been persistent and powerful enough to baffle me: Why should I care so much?
A scary question. As a professor of physics and former working scientist, I have told myself that I care because the New Atheists claim that science -- of all things -- disproves God's existence. During my years as a seminary student I told myself that I care out of theological interest. But what really scared me was the possibility that my fascination was an index of my own unconscious unbelief. I gradually began to ask myself: Am I a closet atheist?
No. In my time of trying on Yes I never felt the familiar click and closure of discovery, of having come across something true.
Yet I was unsatisfied. I could not get to the bottom of my disagreement with these people.
Then, just last week, it happened: click and closure. I was leafing through my well-worn copy of William James' "The Varieties of Religious Experience." When I came across -- for the nth time -- that section of the book in which James draws a distinction between two psychological types, the "healthy-minded" and the "sick soul," I saw clearly what separates me from the New Atheists: pessimism.
Post any thing and everything except proof of god failed creationist.
Thinking

Bishops Stortford, UK

#72077 May 15, 2013
Your punchline is that religion feeds on fear.
Lincoln wrote:
Paul Wallace
Imhotep

United States

#72078 May 15, 2013
~~~\\\\|||
~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOo
KIM JONG-UN DEFENDS RIGHT TO OBTAIN JOURNALISTS’ PHONE RECORDS

PYONGYANG (The Borowitz Report)—As controversy swirled around the Department of Justice’s move to obtain journalists’ phone records, the White House picked up a vote of support today from an unexpected source, Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un of North Korea.

“I honestly don’t see what the fuss is all about,” Mr. Kim said in an official statement today.“Of course it’s the government’s right to know what people are doing at all times—and journalists would be right at the top of the list.”

Mr. Kim also offered a vigorous defense of the I.R.S. policy of auditing the tax returns of organizations that oppose the government:“Again, this is something I wouldn’t lose a wink of sleep over, and I know Dad felt the same way.”

In what was an otherwise laudatory statement about the activities of the U.S. government, Mr. Kim offered one small critique:“They could save themselves the work of conducting audits and obtaining phone records if they would just get rid of journalists and anti-government groups in the first place. But, you know, baby steps.”

All in all, news of the I.R.S. audits and phone-records scandals have given the mercurial dictator hope that North Korea and the United States might have warmer relations in the future:“We have a lot more in common than I thought.”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#72079 May 16, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the atheist in the atheism forum. No one is here to do your homework for you. Remain silent or research the possibilities yourself. If you insist on ruling out and disparaging I will debate any accountable position you choose to make a case for. You chose to fixate on me rather than adddress your nothing. Since 2009 not one example of evidence that meets your own criteria. Amazing.
How do I know if I agree or disagree with your position if I don't really know your position? Clarification is all i was asking for. You said your position is prime mover. Maybe I agree.

You are the Christian in the forum asking for a position from a group of people without a position. I may say prime mover... Another atheist might say something from nothing.... Another atheist might say always was..... They would all still be atheists. There is no atheist position.

I feel like you understand this but keep asking anyway... What are your intentions? This doesn't seem to make any sense.
John

United States

#72081 May 17, 2013
I contend the preponderance of evidence lies on the side of a prime mover vs any other accountable position of belief. Your entire forum is a nothing farce. I love watching you fight so hard for a supposed nonclaim.
Your whole narrative is reliant on God to have a voice. Logic and rationality are lost on liberal atheists. Do you have an example of evidence that meets the criteria you hold others accountable to?
How does a bigot measure the evidence for the following possibilities: prime mover, always was, something from nothing. Show your work.
You can't even make up an accountable position to debate vs a prime mover. The reason your forum won't engage is they realize just how futile their nonposition is.
Debate nothing with your other personalities. I don't debate nothing Stumpy.7
John

United States

#72082 May 17, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was and am simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitimate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
You weren't saying?11
John

United States

#72083 May 17, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 69,201 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
John

United States

#72084 May 17, 2013
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 69,202 posts to show otherwise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min THE LONE WORKER 43,373
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min Aura Mytha 256,624
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 31 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 18,682
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 35 min Pahu 3,846
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr thetruth 785
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Chazofsaints 718
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 3 hr thetruth 354
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr thetruth 10,082
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr thetruth 21,236
A Universe from Nothing? 11 hr Insults Are Easier 602
More from around the web