Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71967 May 5, 2013
John wrote:
The prime mover remains the best consideration imo. It certainly has you afraid of challenging it.
I have challenged it many times--- you ALWAYS run away scared to post even ONE (1) argument in support of it.

But Quantum Mechanics refutes your Prime Mover to 100%.

So there you go-- case closed.

You lose.

AGAIN.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71968 May 5, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
I take it you didn't look at my post.....' Ah, well....that's okay. Not everyone has to answer me....
John seldom reads...

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#71969 May 5, 2013
ha ha ha.....so, when did I disappear from Topix, Bob? Do you remember when? I can't remember the first time I found this site.....it must've been back in 2008 or 2009, when I was only fourteen or fifteen.

Sorry I never told ya, but I'm a teenager. I'm nineteen now.....age is irrelevant online, right?^^

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71970 May 5, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
ha ha ha.....so, when did I disappear from Topix, Bob? Do you remember when? I can't remember the first time I found this site.....it must've been back in 2008 or 2009, when I was only fourteen or fifteen.
Sorry I never told ya, but I'm a teenager. I'm nineteen now.....age is irrelevant online, right?^^
Yes it is-- as Nightserf has said so many times?

All that is visible here, is our words.

Just our words--and nothing BUT our words.

Age doesn't matter.

Gender doesn't matter.

Country, education, etc-etc-etc-- all that matters is the words a person writes.

Those are the single avenue we have to understand and judge a person--- the words they write.

And those words can tell entire stories, and reveal a great many secrets about a person, usually unintentionally. Sometimes, unavoidably.

But the words speak volumes, both from the actual content, and from the style, the grammar, the choice of visual position-- all of that tell a story about the author.

:)

So it hardly matters if you were young, back then--and are older now, does it?

:D

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#71971 May 5, 2013
So, can you tell what my gender is from the way I type? ;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71972 May 5, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
So, can you tell what my gender is from the way I type? ;)
Sometimes I can get that-- but most of the time, gender is not obvious from just the words.

In your case, I would hazard to guess, as I could get it wrong, and be insulting.

So I won't.

Does it matter? Not really.
John

United States

#71973 May 6, 2013
Four years in and the same reindeer games are being played in an effort to make your nothing relevant. What part of don't skip steps don't you understand Bob? Your mindset is horrible for scientific growth. You can't kill God. Time magazine can't kill God. Quantum mechanics certainly can't kill God. That's your implication.

Explain how quantum mechanics is responsible for origin. I am literally shaking my head responding to your nonsense.
John

United States

#71974 May 6, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 69,090 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#71975 May 6, 2013
John wrote:
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 69,090 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
No matter how many times you troll this forum your god will never ever be real.

Its part of your mental illness of faith and getting angry at atheists will not make evidence magically appear.

You are frustrated at your own cult, go back to your local religious leader and ask them for proof of god and leave atheists alone.
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#71976 May 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its part of your mental illness of faith and getting angry at atheists will not make evidence magically appear.
You are frustrated at your own cult, go back to your local religious leader and ask them for proof of god and leave atheists alone.
Impossible for this one!
We're dealing with the consummate narcissist
Self-absorbed Unimaginative unintelligent
Suffering from religious dementia

He needs to blame someone for his own inadequacies

Fodder for comedy material lonely. ;)

As soon as he reads this post you can be guaranteed three more spams will follow, to ignore!
Lincoln

United States

#71977 May 6, 2013
Atheist do not want another other beliefs on "Their" threads
LOL
Politically this is one of the reasons people generally do not vote for atheists as defined by the intolerant.

Atheists love their own views but intolerant of other views.
Atheist in Power in Communist countries 1945 to 1991 enforced atheism but can't do it here.
Freedom of speech still exists in America

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71978 May 6, 2013
John wrote:
Four years in and the same reindeer games are being played in an effort to make your nothing relevant. What part of don't skip steps don't you understand Bob? Your mindset is horrible for scientific growth. You can't kill God. Time magazine can't kill God. Quantum mechanics certainly can't kill God. That's your implication.
Explain how quantum mechanics is responsible for origin. I am literally shaking my head responding to your nonsense.
This is your ... "argument"? You BELIEVE?

<literally laughing out loud>

No argument in support of your myth (prime mover).

Therefore, the "prime mover" is false, by default.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71979 May 6, 2013
John wrote:
Quantum Mechanics is an uncaused process-- the events at the quantum mechanics level, are UNCAUSED.

Since this has been well established by testing-- there is more proof for Quantum Mechanics than for gravity or evolution-- we can use that to predict the distant past, too.

The universe is an uncaused event-- the quantum singularity was uncaused, and it began it's rapid expansion, again, without cause-- for at the beginning, it was a quantum-sized "particle" (if particle is even the correct term).

There is NO NEED for your ... "prime mover" AT ALL.

Your god is dead.

So are you-- dead inside.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71980 May 6, 2013
John wrote:
This is your ... "argument"? You BELIEVE?

<literally laughing out loud>

Lincoln

United States

#71981 May 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Skeptic in power

The Soviet Union was the first state to have, as an ideological objective, the elimination of religion and its replacement with universal atheism. The communist regime confiscated religious property, ridiculed religion, harassed believers, and propagated atheism in schools. The confiscation of religious assets was often based on accusations of illegal accumulation of wealth.

The vast majority of people in the Russian empire were, at the time of the revolution, religious believers, whereas the communists aimed to break the power of all religious institutions and eventually replace religious belief with atheism.

"Science" was counterposed to "religious superstition" in the media and in academic writing. The main religions of pre-revolutionary Russia persisted throughout the entire Soviet period, but they were only tolerated within certain limits. Generally, this meant that believers were free to worship in private and in their respective religious buildings (churches, mosques, etc.), but public displays of religion outside of such designated areas were prohibited. In addition, religious institutions were not allowed to express their views in any type of mass media, and many religious buildings were demolished or used for other purposes.
Lincoln

United States

#71982 May 6, 2013
No one was <literally laughing out loud> in the Soviet Union when Atheism was enforced by the gun

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#71983 May 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you that "prime mover" is false, at least based on evidence, however, I would take issue with using whatever John says or doesn't say as a means to arrive at that conclusion. He just hasn't given me reason to put that much value in what he posts.

It seems John is much like Brian, kind of like a scratched up record which keeps playing the same thing over and over, and the part being played makes no sense.

There I manage to assault two posters in one post, and I have said before that I won't do that anymore. Tsk tsk.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#71984 May 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just twisted that way boots! ;) Pray for me. LOL
I enjoy baiting him and watching him leap to respond just like a little puppy.
I can honestly say I bypass all of his posts.
Scan to 'last, there's our little puppy!
Woof!
If I was a believer, I would already be praying for you, Imhotep.:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71985 May 6, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you that "prime mover" is false, at least based on evidence, however, I would take issue with using whatever John says or doesn't say as a means to arrive at that conclusion. He just hasn't given me reason to put that much value in what he posts.
It seems John is much like Brian, kind of like a scratched up record which keeps playing the same thing over and over, and the part being played makes no sense.
There I manage to assault two posters in one post, and I have said before that I won't do that anymore. Tsk tsk.

I take no offense at anything anyone says--regardless of who they are.

It is not worth my self-esteem to allow strangers that much control over my feelings.

I learned a long time ago, that we humans can >>own<< our own feelings, or? We can give them away, and allow other folk to control them-- and us. In the latter case, we become victims of our own neglect; permitting other people both direct and indirect control over our own self identity.

It's not easy at first to own your own feelings; but with practice, it does become possible.

After some practice, you soon realize that there is nothing at all, that anyone can say, that will affect you in the least-- unless you choose to be affected.

It is a rather powerful point of view. Unfortunately, your average theist is too often a victim of giving away their self-worth--to the leaders of whichever cult they find themselves trapped in.

Which makes it that much harder for them to see the writing on the wall... or the elephant in the room (or some other metaphor describing the non-reality of their theism).

Sad, really.

... yeah... I know... the last sentence-fragment is ironic, in light of my earlier statements.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71986 May 6, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
If I was a believer, I would already be praying for you, Imhotep.:)
Well, even as a non-believer, you still could-- it would be exactly as effective as if you still believed in it.

That is, the efficacy of prayers is not changed at all, by the mental world-view of the person doing the praying--

-- it still fails at the same rate.

<laughing>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min Rosa_Winkel 247,447
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 58 min Knowledge- 12,676
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr Eagle 12 22
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr Eagle 12 8
Proof of God for the Atheist 3 hr Shizle 126
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 3 hr -Stray Dog 47,807
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr ChristineM 2,353
More from around the web