Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,981

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story
Imhotep

United States

#71454 Apr 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>if we had a flat tax very few people would be able to pay their fair share.
this is because the wealthy pay the vast, vast majority of the income taxes in the US. and at the state level.
perhaps you meant a flat tax rate, which would be wholly unfair. we have a very progressive tax sysytem in the us now. you should be thankful for those that help pay your way for you.
Thankful? Now that's a laugh!

Equal tax percentage for all! In a flat-rate system, all are equal. We would all pay the same percentage taxes, thereby keeping it fair. A person who makes $100,000 a year paying 20% taxes pays $20,000. A person who makes $50,000 a year paying the same 20% tax rate, pays $10,000. It's only fair to have the same percentages across the board. Otherwise the very wealthy pay less and less percent the more they make.

Two people earning $50,000 each will pay together less tax than one person having $100,000 on the progressive tax system, so simply $50000+$50000 is not = to $100000. This generates all kind of problems, including that you have to have a monster like IRS to figure out where each dollar came from.

Taxation Equal under the law, equal under the tax code. That one makes more or less than another should not be a basis of determining how much the one should pay, for it introduces bias into the equation and therefore cannot be equal.

The argument that the wealthiest use the greatest amount of resources is irrelevant. Under the law, we are all considered equal. Taxing someone due to their financial situation would be no different than charging them an exorbitant price for a good/service based on some differentiating criteria...which is wrong in any way/shape/form.

The argument that it will bring in less revenue is immaterial. The government exists for the purpose of serving the people, the people do not exist for the purpose of funding the government.

If it cannot fund its current operations with revenue collected from equal taxation from its citizenry, then it needs to scale back operations until it can. They should live within their means, like everyone else should.

;)
Lincoln

United States

#71455 Apr 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>if we had a flat tax very few people would be able to pay their fair share.
this is because the wealthy pay the vast, vast majority of the income taxes in the US. and at the state level.
perhaps you meant a flat tax rate, which would be wholly unfair. we have a very progressive tax sysytem in the us now. you should be thankful for those that help pay your way for you.
Flat tax a Republican one percent idea.

The poor wealthy who pay 'the wealthy pay the vast, vast majority of the income taxes"....
we could all skip one meal a week
to give some money to the oppressed billionaires :-)

Romney 47%

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#71456 Apr 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
John is a massive tw*t.
The godless world rolls on oblivious to his lack of consent.
<quoted text>
Why did you censor "twit?"

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#71458 Apr 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Flat tax a Republican one percent idea.
The poor wealthy who pay 'the wealthy pay the vast, vast majority of the income taxes"....
we could all skip one meal a week
to give some money to the oppressed billionaires :-)
Romney 47%
the current iteration of the gop are a bunch of idiot, far right evangelicals.

true conservatives know that a flat tax would not be possible. a flat rate tax would not leave us with a viable tax base.

facts are fun!

St. Croix valley

#71459 Apr 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Equal tax percentage for all! In a flat-rate system, all are equal. We would all pay the same percentage taxes, thereby keeping it fair. A person who makes $100,000 a year paying 20% taxes pays $20,000. A person who makes $50,000 a year paying the same 20% tax rate, pays $10,000. It's only fair to have the same percentages across the board. Otherwise the very wealthy pay less and less percent the more they make.
Two people earning $50,000 each will pay together less tax than one person having $100,000 on the progressive tax system, so simply $50000+$50000 is not = to $100000. This generates all kind of problems, including that you have to have a monster like IRS to figure out where each dollar came from.
Taxation Equal under the law, equal under the tax code. That one makes more or less than another should not be a basis of determining how much the one should pay, for it introduces bias into the equation and therefore cannot be equal.
The argument that the wealthiest use the greatest amount of resources is irrelevant. Under the law, we are all considered equal. Taxing someone due to their financial situation would be no different than charging them an exorbitant price for a good/service based on some differentiating criteria...which is wrong in any way/shape/form.
The argument that it will bring in less revenue is immaterial. The government exists for the purpose of serving the people, the people do not exist for the purpose of funding the government.
If it cannot fund its current operations with revenue collected from equal taxation from its citizenry, then it needs to scale back operations until it can. They should live within their means, like everyone else should.
;)
that is not even near equal, and it is not a flat tax. it is a flat rate tax.

what people have left over after they pay far more than their share of taxes is not your business nor concern.

We have a very progressive tax system in the US now. and for a very good reason.

a flat rate tax system is unteneable. there are no serious economists that would tell you it is.

St. Croix valley

#71460 Apr 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
there is no argument about the wealthy using more resources. if they do, they pay more in sales taxes and such.

as far as using gov't resources, it is the poor who use the most. by far.

your idea of gov't and the people is all messed up. we ARE the gov't. it is a two way relationship. if you see the gov't as seperate from the people of the country, you do not understand the nature of your country at all. not even close.

St. Croix valley

#71461 Apr 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
well, it is not you, you do not participate, right? you just take.

and yes, that DOES mean you don't get a say. it really does.
Imhotep

United States

#71462 Apr 19, 2013
PSA

The @John virus is mutating -

Download Imhotep's latest app

JesusRoachAway®

$666.66 bargain

;)
Imhotep

United States

#71463 Apr 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well, it is not you, you do not participate, right? you just take.
and yes, that DOES mean you don't get a say. it really does.
Rubbish to the power of 10

The problem with the politicians and the government is the QUALITY of the voters.

The entire government is OWNED, yes OWNED, by corporations and the super rich. All candidates are pre-selected by their puppet masters, that not only control their strings, but 90% of all the money used to put them in office.

The USA is an Oligarchy and has been for almost 30+ years beginning with Reaganomics.

At last, with the advent, of Fox News, et. al., we now can see clearly the process, and the Middle Class is not part of it in any way.

With some luck... some will do great, others will be and are desperate.

Lincoln said “a nation divided against itself cannot endure”... how long will this government endure?

The general public votes against its own better interests, so the 'sales pitch' has been very successful - among the fact-allergic and reality-challenged.

My take...Obama is not as strong as I expected but still is better than entrenched power. Bush left behind a daunting task for ANY politician. It will take much longer than 4 years to undo the nightmare wrought by "Mission accomplished " Bush.

I do not vote. There is NO point. The country is already 'owned'.

And... don't give me that old excuse "If you don't vote you cannot complain"

WRONG!- It is the voters that elected these mammals, not me.

IF... you want change - all incumbants should be immediately voted out of office regardless of party or record.

This, of course, will never occur.

Rule by the few, often seen as having self-serving ends. Aristotle used the term pejoratively for unjust rule by bad men, contrasting oligarchy with rule by an aristocracy. Most classic oligarchies have resulted when governing elites were recruited exclusively from a ruling class, which tends to exercise power in its own interest.

However in the extremely unlikely event one vote will determine a major election mine is available and For Sale to the highest bidder!

I am after all a capitalist

Lol
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#71464 Apr 19, 2013
Funny.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71465 Apr 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he meant to use an "a" in there...

;)

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#71466 Apr 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
That's an insult to women everywhere! He's a meanie.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71467 Apr 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
agreed.

:)
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#71468 Apr 19, 2013
Twait?
<quoted text>
;)
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#71469 Apr 19, 2013
When I use co*k, cu*t, di*k and tw*t as insults there is no gender implied.

What's your favourite insult in the whole world?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71470 Apr 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Twait?
<quoted text>
That sounds like the title of a Country & Western song...

... <heh>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71471 Apr 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
That's easy: True Believer™

:)
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#71472 Apr 19, 2013
Sung by Conwoy Twatty?
<quoted text>
That sounds like the title of a Country & Western song...
... <heh>

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#71473 Apr 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer more creative insults ... unless of course they're just TSTL, in which case I just us "idiot," that's the worst thing you can call anyone.
Imhotep

United States

#71474 Apr 19, 2013
<quoted text>
;)
Okay time for a joke

A well-known record producer discovers a startling new talent he is so impressed he walks up to the entertainer and asked him what's your name

Peeniss Liquor is the reply

Staggered the producer says he could never use a name like that and insists that the entertainer changes name

He does... Wait for it.

He says okay call me Dick Van Dyke

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min ChristineM 228,000
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Dak-Original 22,524
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 1 hr Thinking 30
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 511
Girl's Christmas letter to atheist dictator sho... 2 hr Mikko 1
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 3 hr Chimney1 358
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 14 hr cancer suxs 5
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE