Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
67,921 - 67,940 of 70,985 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 5

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

St Black Pope wrote:
<quoted text>You sir are a bigot, and your derogatory reference to Jews is because you are a self hating gay.
I am not gay. I am a straight male, who happens to believe in EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW.

But that is not something YOU believe in is it?

You believe in INEQUALITY-- special privilege for those in power, and damn-all to those who are not.

Just as your ugly bible teaches, point of fact.

Your hate, your obvious depravity has not gone unnoticed.
Imhotep

Hernando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are a demonstrated idiot.
I believe you are also hateful in the extreme; your bigotry extends to many others in the world, but especially to everyone who doesn't buy into your hateful delusions.
I believe you have been shown to be an uneducated moron.
I believe you actually think that the ReThuglicans give a sh7t about.... you. When reality suggests that the only thing ReThuglicans give a sh7t about, is the top 1%. Which you clearly are not a member of.
I believe you are uneducated, and likely never completed high school.
Shall I go on?
Absolutely Robert, continue the assault on this idiot! I can't bring myself to respond to this mammal - actually he doesn't deserve any response.

I consider this a study in stupidity and ignorance.
And John has this in spades! I doubt he attends any church but if he did and they saw any of his responses they throw him out of his ear.

I skip down to the next name that doesn't say John. occasionally, with you being the exception, i don't read any response to John.

This guy is a bottom feeder that craves attention and I'm not in the business of feeding these juvenile minds. I prefer to let them copy paste away.

I know you enjoy trouncing this cretin however.

He has nothing to say hence the endless copy paste besides I doubt he understands anything that anyone on this forum posts.

Seething hatred is all he has.

John is a total waste of time and effort

if there were a god - she's probably saying boy I screwed this one up royally! Even my pal Satan won't have anything to do with him.
Imhotep

Hernando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree with you and you have expressed it more eloquently than I could have.:)
I just thought I'd give you heads up! ;)

you seemed new to this forum and you should ignore certain people who don't merit any response whatever. The content of their post is all you need To ignore them or have a good belly laugh!

This particular mammal is of no value whatever and there's plenty here that have lots to say.

John warrants utter contempt. Sympathy is completely out of the question as far as I'm concerned.
John K

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

This is for the other John. I have arrived at my position of nothing by the following process.

Born atheist. Parents, family members, friends, teachers, priest , nuns, and strangers, indoctrinated me into their cult of Roman Catholism. Once I was old enough to read I would read the paper every morning. Not just the comics but also the rest of it, even the editorial pages. The local paper was lucky to have some folks that would write letters to the editor that debated the god question. Lucky for me the editor published those letters and I read them. This perked my curiosity. So I read all of the grown up books I could about religion. The history of religion is what really was the key.(Time Life Books put out a beautiful photographic essay on the history of religion, my parents made the mistake of buying this book and left it laying around the house, what fools!)

By reading about the histories of religions it became quite obvious that they were all made up. By reading comparative religious studies it became obvious that the newer religions steal and borrow ideas and stories from the older ones. This process makes the study of them difficult but quite interesting at the same time.

At the same time that I was reading about the history of religion I was reading about science and it's history. Comparing the two histories it seemed that one progressed while the other did not. As an endeavor science seems to get more bang for the buck than religion. With just a few thousand dollars the Wright brothers brought us controlled flight. Einstein gave us Relativity for the cost of some penciles and paper. Same for Newton's work on gravity. It just seemed to me that science produces greater results than religion and at a fraction of the cost. And the benefit to humanity from science far out weighs the benefits of religion.

So that is why I am on the science side. As to the question as to the ultimate cause of the universe, I stand with science on this one also.

Science says it doesn't know the ultimate cause of the universe. Science so far can get us back to the first fractions of the first second of this universe. But that's as far as we are at this time. In the next century there may be more to say on this. Possibly this new information we just got about the Higgs particle will get us closer to a definitive answer. But right now all we know is that energy can not be created or destroyed and that everything is made of it. We all came into existence through a long process of energy. That is it. There is no need to discuse about gods,spirits, or other supernatural stuff. Energy is what made all of this, end of story.

If there is such a thing as a prime mover it is probably just energy. No intelligence behind it just energy. The exchange of energy is able to pop matter into and out of existence.(This has been proven by some wonderfully cool experiments that are probably above the average persons understanding, so it is hard to explain to the laity.)

As for evolution doubters there is a real elegant experiment that has been on going for over 30 years that shows a bacteria culture evolving the ability to ingest and metabolize citrus, where as it's great, great, great, great, great, great ..........grand parents could not.(We are talking about thirty years of bacteria here.) This experiment shows how mutations from multiple generations can link up to create new useful functions. This is us being a witness to evolution. And it is a real knife in the back to the intelligent design folks.

As I look at the word count it looks like I am just about up. So I hope this clears up my personal "position on nothing". The main thing about my position is it is an honest look at reality and no wishfull thinking on my part. To not know all of the answers to all of the question is ok. To use methods that have proven track records to learn more is the best I can do for now. Realizing my limitations is not a weakness but a strength. The end.
John K

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

This is for the other John. I have arrived at my position of nothing by the following process.

Born atheist. Parents, family members, friends, teachers, priest , nuns, and strangers, indoctrinated me into their cult of Roman Catholism. Once I was old enough to read I would read the paper every morning. Not just the comics but also the rest of it, even the editorial pages. The local paper was lucky to have some folks that would write letters to the editor that debated the god question. Lucky for me the editor published those letters and I read them. This perked my curiosity. So I read all of the grown up books I could about religion. The history of religion is what really was the key.(Time Life Books put out a beautiful photographic essay on the history of religion, my parents made the mistake of buying this book and left it laying around the house, what fools!)

By reading about the histories of religions it became quite obvious that they were all made up. By reading comparative religious studies it became obvious that the newer religions steal and borrow ideas and stories from the older ones. This process makes the study of them difficult but quite interesting at the same time.

At the same time that I was reading about the history of religion I was reading about science and it's history. Comparing the two histories it seemed that one progressed while the other did not. As an endeavor science seems to get more bang for the buck than religion. With just a few thousand dollars the Wright brothers brought us controlled flight. Einstein gave us Relativity for the cost of some penciles and paper. Same for Newton's work on gravity. It just seemed to me that science produces greater results than religion and at a fraction of the cost. And the benefit to humanity from science far out weighs the benefits of religion.

So that is why I am on the science side. As to the question as to the ultimate cause of the universe, I stand with science on this one also.

Science says it doesn't know the ultimate cause of the universe. Science so far can get us back to the first fractions of the first second of this universe. But that's as far as we are at this time. In the next century there may be more to say on this. Possibly this new information we just got about the Higgs particle will get us closer to a definitive answer. But right now all we know is that energy can not be created or destroyed and that everything is made of it. We all came into existence through a long process of energy. That is it. There is no need to discuse about gods,spirits, or other supernatural stuff. Energy is what made all of this, end of story.

If there is such a thing as a prime mover it is probably just energy. No intelligence behind it just energy. The exchange of energy is able to pop matter into and out of existence.(This has been proven by some wonderfully cool experiments that are probably above the average persons understanding, so it is hard to explain to the laity.)

As for evolution doubters there is a real elegant experiment that has been on going for over 30 years that shows a bacteria culture evolving the ability to ingest and metabolize citrus, where as it's great, great, great, great, great, great .......... grand parents could not.(We are talking about thirty years of bacteria here.) This experiment shows how mutations from multiple generations can link up to create new useful functions. This is us being a witness to evolution. And it is a real knife in the back to the intelligent design folks.

As I look at the word count it looks like I am just about up. So I hope this clears up my personal "position on nothing". The main thing about my position is it is an honest look at reality and no wishfull thinking on my part. To not know all of the answers to all of the question is ok. To use methods that have proven track records to learn more is the best I can do for now. Realizing my limitations is not a weakness but a strength. The end.
John K

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Sorry about the double post.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

St Black Pope wrote:
<quoted text>Since, your delusion is that the world is over 11 billion years old, perhaps is how soon is soon. 1 billion, 2 billion or another 11 billion years. In any case, religion will out live you and all your issues.
I suspect that you are simply evil, so when and if you followed religion, you were still evil. Here is the point of your confusion, religion is not a persona and it has no voice. You will beat your wife because you are evil, you will hate because you are evil, you are a bigot because you are evil, so when you enter into any religion you are all at once still evil.
who says the world is 11 billions years old? is it fun to talk of things you don't understand?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

St Black Pope wrote:
<quoted text>Since, I am a historian, I do not need to go to a library. You know, a library that makes claims like Columbus discovering America in 1492.
Yes, the African black King Imhotep, indeed an architect, Jewish high priest, the world's first double genius and best known as the black African King pyramid builder. Really, no evidence of Jesus' existence, yet all historian prescribe to records and accounts of a man known as Jesus, born in Bethlehem, at the exact time that the Bible gives account of it.
But, let us go black African king genius, Imhotep, since it is clear that your appointment with the lake of fire has you upset.
he Upper Egyptian Famine Stela, dating from the Ptolemaic period, bears an inscription containing a legend about a famine of seven years during the reign of Djoser. Imhotep is credited with having been instrumental in ending it. One of his priests explained the connection between the god Khnum and the rise of the Nile to the king, who then had a dream in which the Nile god spoke to him, promising to end the drought.[23]
These dreams are another factor which has led some scholars to associate Imhotep with the Biblical figure of Joseph.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imhotep
yes, many cult leaders are considered geniuses. especially by the cult members.

just like your cult will ascribe miracles to people after they die and the cult members just blindly go along with the bullshit. this is what cults do...
Imhotep

Hernando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

John K wrote:

As for evolution doubters there is a real elegant experiment that has been on going for over 30 years that shows a bacteria culture evolving the ability to ingest and metabolize citrus, where as it's great, great, great, great, great, great .......... grand parents could not.(We are talking about thirty years of bacteria here.) This experiment shows how mutations from multiple generations can link up to create new useful functions. This is <edited> look at reality and no wishfull thinking on my part. To not know all of the answers to all of the question is ok. To use methods that have proven track records to learn more is the best I can do for now. Realizing my limitations is not a weakness but a strength. The end.
Excellent description congratulations!
The resident John is as useless as tits on a bull.
Facts remain the Achilles' heel of true believers.
How does this affect our elected leaders is the question?
Answer
"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
~ George Herbert Walker Bush
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Well the kiddies are still confused between belief and disbelief. I won't give up on you kids! You skipped my question BTW John K, Imhotep ( Egyptian for getting trounced), Bob (lying gay hater).
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

No they are fighting/lashing out at God. Most of them. This forum has gone on for years and it happens with or without me. You think simple disbelief has carried the forum in all its venom this long? The evidence speaks otherwise. Speaking of evidence. Do you have any in this arena you hold others accountable to?
I've already exposed your standard of evidence yet you want ME to provide YOU evidence in your forum. Let me guess you'll be the arbiter. Your forum insists on fighting God, you can't stay away from him. I've made it clear, apparently you don't read my posts that I don't debate nothing. God is merely an axe and diversion created by loons to mask their nothing agenda.
You've made the claim there is no God so prove it. That's your deal and problem whether its impossible or not. I've offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief you want to make a case for. You have failed miserably. Not my problem.
Regurgitating tired nonpoints despite four years of me being clear makes it obvious you have no intention of doing anything other than projecting. Nothing certainly isn't the answer.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.

Atheists- ahem freethinkers looking to scrub history for an agenda. Bob and Imhotep agree there is no historical Jesus. Bwahahaha
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

No they are fighting/lashing out at God. Most of them. This forum has gone on for years and it happens with or without me. You think simple disbelief has carried the forum in all its venom this long? The evidence speaks otherwise. Speaking of evidence. Do you have any in this arena you hold others accountable to?
I've already exposed your standard of evidence yet you want ME to provide YOU evidence in your forum. Let me guess you'll be the arbiter. Your forum insists on fighting God, you can't stay away from him. I've made it clear, apparently you don't read my posts that I don't debate nothing. God is merely an axe and diversion created by loons to mask their nothing agenda.
You've made the claim there is no God so prove it. That's your deal and problem whether its impossible or not. I've offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief you want to make a case for. You have failed miserably. Not my problem.
Regurgitating tired nonpoints despite four years of me being clear makes it obvious you have no intention of doing anything other than projecting. Nothing certainly isn't the answer.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe._
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit._
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

I'm glad we have established your forum has no accountable position of belief or adequate way to weigh evidence.
If that's all you have, its duly noted. I'm not alluding that I think you have an agenda, I know you do. Four years of posting accusations and attacks against Christianity confirms that.
Now if you don't believe in God what's the fixation? You don't believe anything is evidence in this arena. I'm not going to fend off multiple and repeated questions in your forum. You folks are the ones running from any substantive debate. If that's because your nonposition doesn't allow it then stop the lunacy of trying to make your disbelief relevant. One sentence sums up atheism.
Your continued attempts to marginalize belief is entirely different than simply not believing. Most of the world believes something larger than us is responsible for the universe. There are many reasons and rationales why that belief persists. This conclusion is derived in different ways by different people. Some come to the decision based on logic and evidence. Many ex-atheists become believers in this manner. C.S. Lewis being one. To me these are some of the more interesting thinkers on the subject.
Francis Collins mapped our genetic code and sees design. The list is endless and isn't pigeonholed by only one discipline. I don't debate nothing. Do your own homework I'd you want but this narrative you want to convey that belief is absurd and has absolutely no evidence I reject. What I do know is no evidence is good for YOU. Fair enough. Going further and marginalizing belief as you sit on the fence is childish.
There is a reason you don't want to debate your nothing vs my something. You don't know where to begin. I do. I don't care if it satisfies you or not. This is your forum. I don't debate nothing and won't apologize for it.
I will accept your apologies for spending four years attacking reasoned faith you don't have in your own forum. Talk about bait and switch LOL.
....and empatheist no need to apologize for not submitting the second half. It is tiring and you just started. Try to remember that. You are dealing with just a few theists as opposed to the dozens of antitheists I am. Yet another reason I don't feel an obligation to address every nonsensical claim thrown into the mix. You want a debate. You know the terms.
I find it interesting that the evidentiary standard you use and I've exposed is the sole barometer you want to weigh my evidence in your forum is. It must be easy to attack, question, ad infinitum from the fence. Anyone can throw monkey shyte.
....so, another day of bigot marching begins. Little Kim Jongs making noise._
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost four years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Four years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 67,960 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True
science that is repeatable and observable.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

John wrote:
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe._
the goid of your cult has been proven to be a myth, so why would anyone lash out against a myth. it is the cult following of myths that people of reason are against.
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 67,990+ posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Yes we are marching, marching, marching, why? don't know, but we march, march, hate, march, scrub history, nothing is our goal, march, march, we vote Obama and nothing is our goal. Hey! Hey! Here, here!
Atheist Silurist

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

John wrote:
Yes we are marching, marching, marching, why? don't know, but we march, march, hate, march, scrub history, nothing is our goal, march, march, we vote Obama and nothing is our goal. Hey! Hey! Here, here!
Are you upset?
John

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the goid of your cult has been proven to be a myth, so why would anyone lash out against a myth. it is the cult following of myths that people of reason are against.
Oh dumb grasshopper your nothing is unwise and your nonclaim is that of a child. There are many different faiths but your hate is for Christianity. You aren't willing to debate and answer questions to get to your endgame. I'll certainly walk you through it but the we won't skip steps. You haven't even made a baby step yet though. The question is something vs ??? You never did say. Hmmm. Thankfully there is no audience that can see for five years you loons have been this impotent. How embarrasing.

I contend the preponderance of evidence is clearly in the prime mover camp as opposed to any other accountable position of belief you care to make a case for.

This is the part where you obfuscate, attack, marginalize, and flee. The proof of your intellectual cowardice is well documented.

Nothing Bless

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••