Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
67,801 - 67,820 of 70,959 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 7
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Bible there are explicit commands in the OT to commit genocide and terrorism. You cannot simply ignore these verses. The OT is apparently the word of God as well as the NT.
In the NT Jesus promises eternal torture in hell for those who dont believe him.
These are scare tactics. We are told God is about peace and love, yet the Bible god commits atrocities and is cruel. He wants to punish nearly everyone in eternal hellfire, except 144000 jewish virgins. Very silly if you ask me.
You seem to agree with fundamentalist Christians?
Stalin, one of your fellow atheists, killed tens of millions.
Atheists in denial are typical.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
No they are fighting/lashing out at God. Most of them. This forum has gone on for years and it happens with or without me. You think simple disbelief has carried the forum in all its venom this long? The evidence speaks otherwise. Speaking of evidence. Do you have any in this arena you hold others accountable to?
I've already exposed your standard of evidence yet you want ME to provide YOU evidence in your forum. Let me guess you'll be the arbiter. Your forum insists on fighting God, you can't stay away from him. I've made it clear, apparently you don't read my posts that I don't debate nothing. God is merely an axe and diversion created by loons to mask their nothing agenda.
You've made the claim there is no God so prove it. That's your deal and problem whether its impossible or not. I've offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief you want to make a case for. You have failed miserably. Not my problem.
Regurgitating tired nonpoints despite four years of me being clear makes it obvious you have no intention of doing anything other than projecting. Nothing certainly isn't the answer.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.[
Who Would Jesus Hate, John?

You certainly demonstrate how much HATE you have for atheists.

Your Jesus would be so proud of you, here...

I bet he'd hate all atheists too... right?

Right?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to agree with fundamentalist Christians?
Stalin, one of your fellow atheists, killed tens of millions.
Atheists in denial are typical.
no, you been corrected on this many times previously...why do you continue to post what you know to be a lie?

it was by far mostly people of faith that did all the killing for Stalin.

sad that you have to lie about atheists to try and make them look bad...wouldn't your cult have something to say about such behavior?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
No they are fighting/lashing out at God. Most of them. This forum has gone on for years and it happens with or without me. You think simple disbelief has carried the forum in all its venom this long? The evidence speaks otherwise. Speaking of evidence. Do you have any in this arena you hold others accountable to?
I've already exposed your standard of evidence yet you want ME to provide YOU evidence in your forum. Let me guess you'll be the arbiter. Your forum insists on fighting God, you can't stay away from him. I've made it clear, apparently you don't read my posts that I don't debate nothing. God is merely an axe and diversion created by loons to mask their nothing agenda.
You've made the claim there is no God so prove it. That's your deal and problem whether its impossible or not. I've offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief you want to make a case for. You have failed miserably. Not my problem.
Regurgitating tired nonpoints despite four years of me being clear makes it obvious you have no intention of doing anything other than projecting. Nothing certainly isn't the answer.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.[
for your statement to be sensical, you would first have to have at least a shred of evidence for this god you think people are lashing out against...otherwise what would they be lashing out at?

where is this very first ever shred of evidence for any god, gods or goddesses?
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Nothing vs something is the start point. Your forum. I'll wait or laugh at years of posts for nothing.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
Well over 100 million killed by atheistic regimes this century. Wow! That's what happens when man thinks he is the be all end all and is subject to no moral code.
That is what happens when countries have regimes that have corrupt or self-centred leaders and governments such that there is no way of getting rid of the governemnt other than by rebellion. How would religion or a belief in one of the gods come into that, except if, as in some of the Muslim countrolled countries the people were told that what they were doing is God's will. Kind of sounds like how the USA works when they attack other countries too, doesn't it, often with many thousands of innocent lives lost - for what purpose?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
Nothing vs something is the start point. Your forum. I'll wait or laugh at years of posts for nothing.
except you clearly stated atheists are lashing out against god, for that to be true, you would have to have some evidence of this supposed god. where is it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
You don't believe in God. No evidence or accountable position in the atheism forum. Nothing repeated endlessly for five years. Almost as if this isn't just about simple disbelief. Newsflash- you have been exposed; and stumped.
John, it is a very simple to understand fact, that atheism does not have a means of proof. We can only prove what exists, if possible. Proving what doesn't exist fails right off the bat, because how do you prove nothing?

Gods are beings, if they exist that are not see, so for those that claim they exist, those people have to have some means of proving that existence to others who may not share that belief.

In 5 years or whatever, there is not yet a single piece of proof provided on Topix or anywhere else, of which I am aware, that "proves" the existence of a god or God.

Atheism is not a thing, it is the absence of a thing. An atheist has no belief in a deity, so what would motivate them to look for proof of something that they don't have in the first place.

Those atheists that actually take up some sort of cause are not marching to get people to worship the non-belief in a god; they are marching to fight various inequalities, evils, bigotry, and prejudices created or held by those who have a belief in an apparently non-existent god, and using this god as their authority to do evil.

People who actually write books or are militant about their atheism, as Dawkins and Barker might be considered, are those who have looked at the other side, or in the case of Barker, actually preached, and found that the other side was a falsehood. These people oppose the abuses of religion or beliefs in an invisible supernatural being.

We in the 21st century who still act as people did in ancient times, believing in unseen powers, have really stopped progressing in that area of of our lives, whereas the rest of life/the world has continue to move on and progressed with the knowledge of the time, not the knowledge of thousands of years ago.

One can understand and justify the belief in magic, and super beings in times when man had no means of discovering how things came about and why various things happen, but man has discovered much for which gods were given credit, and now we know that there is no god involved.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John - you are a crazy person.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
John, it is a very simple to understand fact, that atheism does not have a means of proof. We can only prove what exists, if possible. Proving what doesn't exist fails right off the bat, because how do you prove nothing?
Gods are beings, if they exist that are not see, so for those that claim they exist, those people have to have some means of proving that existence to others who may not share that belief.
In 5 years or whatever, there is not yet a single piece of proof provided on Topix or anywhere else, of which I am aware, that "proves" the existence of a god or God.
Atheism is not a thing, it is the absence of a thing. An atheist has no belief in a deity, so what would motivate them to look for proof of something that they don't have in the first place.
Those atheists that actually take up some sort of cause are not marching to get people to worship the non-belief in a god; they are marching to fight various inequalities, evils, bigotry, and prejudices created or held by those who have a belief in an apparently non-existent god, and using this god as their authority to do evil.
People who actually write books or are militant about their atheism, as Dawkins and Barker might be considered, are those who have looked at the other side, or in the case of Barker, actually preached, and found that the other side was a falsehood. These people oppose the abuses of religion or beliefs in an invisible supernatural being.
We in the 21st century who still act as people did in ancient times, believing in unseen powers, have really stopped progressing in that area of of our lives, whereas the rest of life/the world has continue to move on and progressed with the knowledge of the time, not the knowledge of thousands of years ago.
One can understand and justify the belief in magic, and super beings in times when man had no means of discovering how things came about and why various things happen, but man has discovered much for which gods were given credit, and now we know that there is no god involved.
great post

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
John, is it possible that you could click on "reply" at the top right corner of the post you are responding to? That way we know to which post you refer when you provide a response. If that leaves you not enough space for your reply them delete part of the other's post, leaving enough so we at least know who it is, you are replying to.

I find often that when one replies the post they reply to is many pages previous to the reply, and so it is almost impossible to know what you are replying to, without taking hours to go back through all the pages of posts to find one that might correspond to what you appear to be posting about. If, as in a few cases, there are only a few or no other posters online, and you post to the last one and your post appears then right after the one you replied to, that then is easy to understand, but that hardly ever happens.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Nope. You don't believe in God yet you lash out against him. The lashing out takes place regardless of his existence or nonexistence. You're five years in to avoiding your nothing and fixating on God. I'm comfortable with that. You focus on your nothing/semantics.

Don't forget I've exposed your evidentiary standard and it is an atheism forum. Are you incapable of a comparative debate vs my oft cited accountable position? Why yes, yes you are. Now get your nothing out of here!

QFN club- quacks for nothing.
Libertarian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Come on atheists! America needs you.

Bring your country out of the bronze age moralising and into the modern tolerant world where people educate themselves rather than stick to the easy answers that make them judge others.

Show me one person on this planet who worships a deity whose rules they don't agree with but still follow and that is one genuine believer.

You others that pick and choose are just making up your own god to suit yourselves.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

I'm glad we have established your forum has no accountable position of belief or adequate way to weigh evidence.
If that's all you have, its duly noted. I'm not alluding that I think you have an agenda, I know you do. Four years of posting accusations and attacks against Christianity confirms that.
Now if you don't believe in God what's the fixation? You don't believe anything is evidence in this arena. I'm not going to fend off multiple and repeated questions in your forum. You folks are the ones running from any substantive debate. If that's because your nonposition doesn't allow it then stop the lunacy of trying to make your disbelief relevant. One sentence sums up atheism.
Your continued attempts to marginalize belief is entirely different than simply not believing. Most of the world believes something larger than us is responsible for the universe. There are many reasons and rationales why that belief persists. This conclusion is derived in different ways by different people. Some come to the decision based on logic and evidence. Many ex-atheists become believers in this manner. C.S. Lewis being one. To me these are some of the more interesting thinkers on the subject.
Francis Collins mapped our genetic code and sees design. The list is endless and isn't pigeonholed by only one discipline. I don't debate nothing. Do your own homework I'd you want but this narrative you want to convey that belief is absurd and has absolutely no evidence I reject. What I do know is no evidence is good for YOU. Fair enough. Going further and marginalizing belief as you sit on the fence is childish.
There is a reason you don't want to debate your nothing vs my something. You don't know where to begin. I do. I don't care if it satisfies you or not. This is your forum. I don't debate nothing and won't apologize for it.
I will accept your apologies for spending four years attacking reasoned faith you don't have in your own forum. Talk about bait and switch LOL.
....and empatheist no need to apologize for not submitting the second half. It is tiring and you just started. Try to remember that. You are dealing with just a few theists as opposed to the dozens of antitheists I am. Yet another reason I don't feel an obligation to address every nonsensical claim thrown into the mix. You want a debate. You know the terms.
I find it interesting that the evidentiary standard you use and I've exposed is the sole barometer you want to weigh my evidence in your forum is. It must be easy to attack, question, ad infinitum from the fence. Anyone can throw monkey shyte.
....so, another day of bigot marching begins. Little Kim Jongs making noise.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
John, non-believers are not fighting God, but rather they are arguing against the bigotry and hatred shown by believers, and asking for evidence from these believers as to why their belief should carry any weight when they cannot provided evidence of what they believe in.

An atheist does not believe in something, in a topic relating to a god or a deity. In my case, which is the only one that I can honestly say why I am here, I find some of the topics of particular interest to me. Homophobia and other forms of bigotry have always been things that I have opposed going back to my early life. I also oppose some of the things that believers insist that others do, because of "God". The things that they do that I oppose are IMO harming other people, therefore that gives me a reason to participate on a topix about a god.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John believes we're made in god's image.
Which means god has an a**ehole.
And that a**ehole is John.
John wrote:
Nope. You don't believe in God yet you lash out against him. The lashing out takes place regardless of his existence or nonexistence. You're five years in to avoiding your nothing and fixating on God. I'm comfortable with that. You focus on your nothing/semantics.
Don't forget I've exposed your evidentiary standard and it is an atheism forum. Are you incapable of a comparative debate vs my oft cited accountable position? Why yes, yes you are. Now get your nothing out of here!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
John, why do you keep stating that this is "your forum"? This is a discussion site, and the topic states "Atheists on the march in America". I don't know the background from which the person who initiated this topic started it, but it could very well be a Christian who is concerned that atheism is taking over, or more correctly, beliefs are diminishing, which is actually the case. It is a topic for discussion. People can have views right across the spectrum on a topic, and those who like to discuss things come to these places to discuss whatever topic interests them.

I am interest in religion, and gods, from the view of how they have been a major influence in humanity in the past and are still influencing man today, even though not any of them have been verified to be true. Those who seem to be pushing religion at us today seem to have some pretty evil agendas, in that they use their beliefs to justify hatred and bigotry.

That kind of thing is what causes a lot of the problems in the world, and man needs to find ways of solving worldly problems using worldly means, because believing and praying to invisible beings to solve these problems has never had any effect, and never will.

Yes, there is much wrong doing in the world, not in the name of religions, but still worldly means to stop this wrong doing is still the only way that these things are ever going to change. Praying to God, or denigrating people because they don't follow a god, is not and will not fix anything.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Only atheist believe Hitler was Christian.:-)
Next they will lie about Stalin and Lenin :-)
Hitler wrote:
In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders.

But it doesn't matter... Crazy people are crazy.

I would like to argue how many people have been killed in the name of religion vs. atheism.... But regardless, it's still crazy people who do the killing.

This argument never goes well... Most of these mass killings we reference are by white people... Ok.... What does that mean? Did they kill because they are white? If not, then where are we now? If so, then it is about racism not skin color.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

John wrote:
see, this is where you get confused, atheists are not lashing out afgasinst any god, they are pointing out that the proven myths of gods are not real, they are myths. atheists, non-believers and freethinkers are just saying that the myths of god that cult members are indoctrinated into are just that, myths.

when you are able to understand the issue, you might be able to post about it coherently.

i won't hold my breath....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••