Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70634 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

TheIndependentMa jority

United States

#70157 Mar 27, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
John, you are not making sense, or if you think you are making statements that others will understand, they are not being understood.
This is not my forum. I came here on recently and this discussion was well on its way long before I joined it. I can't give you evidence of the non-existence of a god. That is something that no human could do. As I have stated to you several times in the past day or so, I can only look at 'evidence' you provide to back your apparent claim that a God does exist. I, if I know that some claim you make is proved incorrect, might tell you that and where I learned that, if I can remember where I learned it. If you provide evidence to which I have to refutation, then the very best I can say is that I don't know if your evidence is true or not, but give my gut feeling about it. So far, and this is being truthful, I have never heard or seen any evidences provided by any believers that are irrefutable.
You keep mentioning Prime Mover (or something to that effect). What is your Prime Mover, and what evidence do you have of that.
As far as there can never be a beginning, in my understanding if there was such as thing as the beginning of everything, or even the beginning of even one thing, than prior to that point there was nothing. I cannot conceive of nothing (the same as I can provide evidence of a nothing). It seems logical to me that if nothing existed then that nothing would also preclude even that God or Creator.
Nothing in my understanding would mean no God, no universe, no Earth, no living creatures, not anything at all. Yet the Creationist view suggest that before all man can comprehend existed, God existed, and then God created everything, which since nothing existed before would seem logically to have come from nothing.
That just doesn't compute in my understanding of how we define the various words used.
It seems to make some sense that something has always existed, even if we could agree that the 'something' was God. However, since we have no evidence yet that there is a God, why would we agree that the 'something' is God, when we know it has no evidence?
Actually he stated some of same things I just did, only in a longer version form.
TruthIs

United States

#70158 Mar 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
That's because I'm thick.
<quoted text>
Might want look to look up up that word marginalize then too.
TruthIs

United States

#70159 Mar 27, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
If John wants an opinion from atheists then why doesn't he present one which we can respond to. We can't provide him with evidence of the non-existence of a deity, because there could be no such evidence. If a deity existed it would not nor could not leave evidence that it didn't exist.
So rather than harping on constantly what we can't do, because it is impossible to do, why does he not state what he has as evidence for his opinion on the subject of a deity.
Simply sitting there and asking us to do something which he knows we can't do and then claiming some sort of victory from that is a cop out on his part, IMO.
I will be glad to present my thoughts on any evidence he provides to support his knowledge that a god exists, but without what that knowledge is, I am not going to try guessing and then refuting my own guesses.
To the very best of my knowledge, or at least memory of my knowledge, no evidence of a god exists anywhere, that anyone has ever confirmed to be true. If I am wrong in that, then for goodness sakes show me where I am wrong.
I kind of think that those who would promote the idea of a God still tell us that one has to believe because there is no evidence. If they have evidence then for goodness sakes, let man off the hook and stop believing and start 'knowing' that a god exists. Kind of along the same line as when some men believed that the earth was not flat, and some of them actually proved that to be true, which ended any debate of the subject, for anyone who had any education, at least.
Why is Columbus credited as having been some sort of "first person" to have thought the earth was round, when there were soo many more "educated" that thought likewise, before him?

Sometimes history takes awhile, but eventually the TRUTH prevails.

Must've been a sad day for those who thought otherwise!!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#70160 Mar 27, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Cover to cover at one time.
The MANY times after over the years-why bother to reread (parts) of what is of no applicable use daily.
Sorry to disappoint your delusion-but I prefer religious freedom as found in democracy to commieTicism any day, it allows me to read what I wish to, and to not have it vomited at me via someone else's perception. That, and because there's many OTHER books I like to read as well!!!
Reading it through once is not going to stay in your memory.
As a Mormon child, we were encouraged to not only read it over an over again, along with the other books, but we had this game called "Scripture Chase." It was a fun one in which the referee would pick a random, literally random page flip, eyes closed, finger point random, scripture and read the first few words, no more than one line though, depending on how common the words were. Then we'd have to race to find it, of course we could begin when they started reading it out loud but most of us were smart enough to wait ... because with enough words we knew what page to turn to without actually searching. Then the winner would read off that section, depending on what it was we'd read the entire story or page, or if we were unlucky to land in a geneology section ... well, two verses. It was such a huge deal that they had city, state, regional, and national competitions, all official and such. I got first in the state three times ... and I stopped going to church when I was 15. My brother always came in second to me.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#70161 Mar 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe in the way you read it, but not the way I read it.
People encourage that warped kind of stuff, via their own twisted and distorted misinterpretations, and loathing of their own sinful doings.
So tell me how are we supposed read this?
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Is it a distortion for me to say that this verse considers a slave to be the property of his master?

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#70162 Mar 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
If a book tells a tale of riding gilded laden unicorns through fields of glitter producing chaff, does that mean people should strive to do such?
Only the bird brainless.
You are more than projecting-you are OBSESSED. As in socio-ILLogically warped.
#1- your analogy involves a tale about mythical creatures committing an action whereas my posts deals with the buybull ordering people to commit certain acts. There is difference between me writing a book on a guy who kills people and me writing a book ordering my followers to kill people. I cannot understand why you cannot see that words either in the written or spoken form, can cause harm. That is why we prosecute people in this country for threatening people. If I write a book in which I encourage my readers to commit crimes, I can be arrested for doing so because the law of this country acknowledges that words and speeches can be used to excite violence.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#70163 Mar 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think you can even begin to think to know what anyone else thinks or considers?
You have stated what you think. It was you who labeled the OT as dark age nonsense while persisting in the belief that the buybull is the word of God. I am just pointing out the contradictions.
Thinking

Barnsley, UK

#70164 Mar 28, 2013
I certainly generate a lot less typos than you. Why is that?
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's because it was incoherent ramblings- on par level of a deluded 12 year old. Deluded, because even a rational 12 year old can theorize better, as in, with Out projecting bigotry onto others.
Thinking

Barnsley, UK

#70165 Mar 28, 2013
Posting changing cuntardery is all you've got.

You give away a moral victory every time you alter someone's post.
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Might want look to look up up that word marginalize then too.
TruthIs

United States

#70166 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Posting changing cuntardery is all you've got.
You give away a moral victory every time you alter someone's post.
<quoted text>
I have enough of that type of victory already, not to even have to worry the first nano second about it!!!!!!

Try not to let it slap ya to more disturbed between your own eyes too hard though!
TruthIs

United States

#70167 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I certainly generate a lot less typos than you. Why is that?
<quoted text>
Because your obsessing about typos on some DUHM internet thread it while I am not?

Knock yourself out...here's hoping you can count high enough!
TruthIs

United States

#70168 Mar 28, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> You have stated what you think. It was you who labeled the OT as dark age nonsense while persisting in the belief that the buybull is the word of God. I am just pointing out the contradictions.
The OT IS full of dark age, UNenlightened stuff.

I(!) view the book as a book written by men-Inspired to do so, based upon their beliefs and in some instances, even possibly experiences.

So stop projecting YOUR opinion and speak for yourSELF only.

The REST of the articulate enough for themselves in the world types, would appreciate that you do NOT attempt to speak for them!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#70169 Mar 28, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he stated some of same things I just did, only in a longer version form.
So where you equally as wrong, but in a condensed version?
TruthIs

United States

#70170 Mar 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading it through once is not going to stay in your memory.
As a Mormon child, we were encouraged to not only read it over an over again, along with the other books, but we had this game called "Scripture Chase." It was a fun one in which the referee would pick a random, literally random page flip, eyes closed, finger point random, scripture and read the first few words, no more than one line though, depending on how common the words were. Then we'd have to race to find it, of course we could begin when they started reading it out loud but most of us were smart enough to wait ... because with enough words we knew what page to turn to without actually searching. Then the winner would read off that section, depending on what it was we'd read the entire story or page, or if we were unlucky to land in a geneology section ... well, two verses. It was such a huge deal that they had city, state, regional, and national competitions, all official and such. I got first in the state three times ... and I stopped going to church when I was 15. My brother always came in second to me.
Catholic catechism here, strictly local, never competative, just learned of lessons applcable to good human character development.

Stopped attending regular Mass at 16..mostly because a 7 day rise and shine early school/work week schedule made Sunday morning zzz's time seem like handfuls of gold.
Thinking

Barnsley, UK

#70171 Mar 28, 2013
It's "you're".
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Because your obsessing about typos on some DUHM internet thread it while I am not?
Knock yourself out...here's hoping you can count high enough!
John

United States

#70172 Mar 28, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
So where you equally as wrong, but in a condensed version?
More like your posts are devoid of evidence or an accountable position so you attempt to steer the narrative far away from your magic science.

I notice you avoided my challenge.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
TruthIs

United States

#70173 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's "you're".
<quoted text>
March march march, oh jackboot velveteenage potus worshipers! Hiel obammer lol.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#70174 Mar 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
The OT IS full of dark age, UNenlightened stuff.
I(!) view the book as a book written by men-Inspired to do so, based upon their beliefs and in some instances, even possibly experiences.
So stop projecting YOUR opinion and speak for yourSELF only.
The REST of the articulate enough for themselves in the world types, would appreciate that you do NOT attempt to speak for them!
so sad..the myth of divine inspiration for writing and interpreting the bible has been proven false time and time again.

your cult just made shit up...just like every other cult.(actually, your cult wasn't even that original, they borrowed tons of stuff, like the whole concept and life of your saviour, from previous religious cults...)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#70175 Mar 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
March march march, oh jackboot velveteenage potus worshipers! Hiel obammer lol.
you talk a lot like runaway johnny...why is that?
Thinking

Barnsley, UK

#70176 Mar 28, 2013
At least it will soon be April April April April.
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you talk a lot like runaway johnny...why is that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min DanFromSmithville 34,459
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 33 min ChristineM 14,866
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 255,503
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,053
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr emperorjohn 4,468
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 5 hr emperorjohn 168
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 5 hr emperorjohn 54
More from around the web