Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
66,921 - 66,940 of 70,983 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 5
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Fair enough. See you on another thread, then. x
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. I think I'm done with this topic.
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

I believe you're a fuckwit.
John wrote:
I was unaware atheists weren't believers LOL. Why don't you go find these ahem relevant answers you claim to have provided.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

John wrote:
<quoted text>
Disbelief is not belief. I just skim for evidence or an accountable position of belief he provided neither. Did you read my posts? Did you answer my question regarding evidence quantifaction?
There is no evidence of a non-existence. Can you find evidence to prove that unicorns do not exist? Because there is no evidence to prove the existence of any gods, those atheists who have actually considered the possibility of a god, likely have concluded that, since no evidence has ever existed during the time we know man has been on this earth, very likely that means there are no gods.

The claim of millions that there are gods or there is a God cannot be proved in any way currently known to man. The information that man currently uses to back up his beliefs appears to all be fiction.
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Yawn. Since nothing in this arena is provable according to your standard it very likely means it is nothing.

Is this forum unable to grasp I don't debate nothing and I have not been the one going around making claims. You simply want to steer the narrative onto something else. You singulary choose to do this with a God you don't believe in. I have thoroughly exposed your evidentiary process. That's why you skipped the questions.

You will not be the arbiter of evidence. You will not have a forum and throw out question after question expecting me to answer whatever axe you have to grind today.

I see no accountable position of belief or evidence from you. Keep repeating the same shyte the other antitheists do.

I do offer you the chance to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs ???. Fill in the blank.

It's fashionable in your crowd to marginalize believers but you realize there are multiple disciplines and great thinkers with a laundry list reasons, evidences, coincidences, guideposts, whatever term you like to make my case. If it doesn't satisfy you I don't care. Never did. That's your forums way to shirk any intellectual burden.

You skipped my questions by the way.

What do you believe?
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

The larger question is something vs nothing. You can't even get started with your nothing but want to go all the way specifically to an Abrahamic God. It could reach that level of discussion. We could discuss whether God is a sentient being and any number of questions, but we won't, and the reason is your refusal to meet my reasonable prerequisites.

Now you can get upset and lash out at this God you don't believe in or move on. I was clear and honest about this in 2009 and haven't budged. Your nothing is fine. I get it. Your other nonsense will get checked.

Nothing Bless
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

John wrote:
The larger question is something vs nothing. You can't even get started with your nothing but want to go all the way specifically to an Abrahamic God. It could reach that level of discussion. We could discuss whether God is a sentient being and any number of questions, but we won't, and the reason is your refusal to meet my reasonable prerequisites.

Now you can get upset and lash out at this God you don't believe in or move on. I was clear and honest about this in 2009 and haven't budged. Your nothing is fine. I get it. Your other nonsense will get checked.

Nothing Bless
They are afraid John, to face truth!
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

They are definitely afraid, but I don't believe truth is what they seek. If it can't be measured with a ruler or seen in a microscope their eyes and ears close. The irony is this approach is the antithesis of freethought. Heck , they even seek to bastardize science that doesn't fit "the model."

Nothing Bless to you!:)

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

John wrote:
<quoted text>
Disbelief is not belief. I just skim for evidence or an accountable position of belief he provided neither. Did you read my posts? Did you answer my question regarding evidence quantifaction?
I agree that disbelief is not belief. That is why this whole discussion is odd.

I did read your posts but i don't remember what you asked about quantitative evidence. I can look back if you don't wish to repeat it. I apologize.

Atheists and theists believe in almost all of the same stuff... Atheists and anti-theists believe in gravity, love, etc... etc... All of the things you do... But theists believe in 1 more thing that atheists don't... God. We haven't seen any evidence. That does not require us to have evidence that there is not a god, because maybe there is... Once we have good reason to believe we can. It's not off the table. We just don't expect that is going to happen.

Apart from that... Can you define what a prime mover is? I have a good idea but until it is clear I shouldn't accept or dismiss it as an answer.
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Going to bed but will touch on a reply. Remember I've been doing this for four years and I'm admittedly impatient by now. Your flying spaghetti monster routine wasn't exactly ingratiating but in fairness you probably are miffed with my vernacular. I do mention I'm specifically addressing antitheism from time to time.

Why do atheists believe in love? Do you believe we have a conscience? Can you prove it?

The question regarding quantitative analysis- how do you decide what is most or least likely of the following: always was, prime mover, something from nothing. Show your work. Oh, prime mover is probably what you are thinking. Check out Aristotle and Aquinas for further.

The evidence isn't good enough for YOU. There isn't any evidence good enough for you. God, higher power, is just one of many. I believe my faith is reasoned, but you keep forgetting; either purposefully or buying into the purposeful forum narrative that I am here to persuade, convert, or proselytize. God need not even be mentioned. It is this forum that attempts to marginalize God. I've just called the bluff and exposed the evidentiary standard in the process.

It does require you to have evidence when you say there is no God. All these posts about simple disbelief belies that assertation. I know the score.

By the way I post from my phone and things are sometimes jumbled or misspelled as a result. You see some in this forum alluded to my ip address when I used to use a computer. Many others have physically threatened me. So much for freethinking.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

I just typed up a long response i was very satisfied with and my computer lost it all.....ugh... Very very very upsetting...

Sorry john, get a good sleep and I will try again tomorrow...

That is so frustrating.
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Been there. Take your time. Bob will hold down the fort in the interim :)
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

It's "Flying Spaghetti Monster".

Show some f**king respect.
John wrote:
Going to bed but will touch on a reply. Remember I've been doing this for four years and I'm admittedly impatient by now. Your flying spaghetti monster routine wasn't exactly ingratiating but in fairness you probably are miffed with my vernacular. I do mention I'm specifically addressing antitheism from time to time.
Why do atheists believe in love? Do you believe we have a conscience? Can you prove it?
The question regarding quantitative analysis- how do you decide what is most or least likely of the following: always was, prime mover, something from nothing. Show your work. Oh, prime mover is probably what you are thinking. Check out Aristotle and Aquinas for further.
The evidence isn't good enough for YOU. There isn't any evidence good enough for you. God, higher power, is just one of many. I believe my faith is reasoned, but you keep forgetting; either purposefully or buying into the purposeful forum narrative that I am here to persuade, convert, or proselytize. God need not even be mentioned. It is this forum that attempts to marginalize God. I've just called the bluff and exposed the evidentiary standard in the process.
It does require you to have evidence when you say there is no God. All these posts about simple disbelief belies that assertation. I know the score.
By the way I post from my phone and things are sometimes jumbled or misspelled as a result. You see some in this forum alluded to my ip address when I used to use a computer. Many others have physically threatened me. So much for freethinking.
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

You're cute. That wasn't predictable at all. You skipped the questions by the way. I would be embarrassed.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
John

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 66,960 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Bollocks.
John wrote:
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 66,960 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
Oh no!
Thinking has upped the ante, hes gone from 1 liners to 1 worders

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

John wrote:
Yawn. Since nothing in this arena is provable according to your standard it very likely means it is nothing.
Is this forum unable to grasp I don't debate nothing and I have not been the one going around making claims. You simply want to steer the narrative onto something else. You singulary choose to do this with a God you don't believe in. I have thoroughly exposed your evidentiary process. That's why you skipped the questions.
You will not be the arbiter of evidence. You will not have a forum and throw out question after question expecting me to answer whatever axe you have to grind today.
I see no accountable position of belief or evidence from you. Keep repeating the same shyte the other antitheists do.
I do offer you the chance to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs ???. Fill in the blank.
It's fashionable in your crowd to marginalize believers but you realize there are multiple disciplines and great thinkers with a laundry list reasons, evidences, coincidences, guideposts, whatever term you like to make my case. If it doesn't satisfy you I don't care. Never did. That's your forums way to shirk any intellectual burden.
You skipped my questions by the way.
What do you believe?
Still no argument from John in support of his... "prime mover".

Safe to presume he has none-- and believes just because.

Sad, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

John wrote:
Nothing Bless

Sad, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
They are afraid John, to face truth!

Sad, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

John wrote:
They are definitely afraid, but I don't believe truth is what they seek. If it can't be measured with a ruler or seen in a microscope their eyes and ears close. The irony is this approach is the antithesis of freethought. Heck , they even seek to bastardize science that doesn't fit "the model."
Nothing Bless to you!:)

Sad, really.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 226,235
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Patrick 21,497
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 1 hr Patrick 10
100% Faith Free 1 hr Patrick 8
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 1 hr Patrick 26
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 3 hr Patrick 10
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr USN Atheist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••