Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70645 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Thinking

Barnsley, UK

#70042 Mar 26, 2013
Writing is not your strong suit.
John wrote:
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit)
TruthIs

United States

#70043 Mar 26, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Harmless beliefs? Tell that to all the women killed during the Salem Trials and all the other witch hunts throughout history.
Tell that to all the women who were forced to stay in abusive marriages because the buybull states that women must obey their husbands and that divorce is wrong.
Tell that to all the slaves whose enslavement was legal because the buybull tells slaves to be obedient to their masters.
Tell that to all the Heretics and Jews massacred in the inquisitions and crusades. They were killed because the buybull demands the killing o infidels who worship different gods.
Tell that to gay people like myself who were made to hate ourselves for something we have no control of, because the buybull states that gay men should be put to death.
People like you try to make Christianity look peaceful and pretend that it is just crazy fundies that create problems. However many of the great bigotries and crimes of history; slavery, intolerance, sexism, and homophobia, are supported and even promoted by the buybull.
Please feel free to try and address me directly again, when not projecting centuries old misdeeds of history. I don't do scapegoating for, or of others.
I live by love (not hate) respect and consideration, in the 21st century.

Thank you, have a nice day.
TruthIs

United States

#70044 Mar 26, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You can believe in what you want, but that does not change facts.
The buybull encourages sexism, tolerance, and violence.
Sexism in the buybull
1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35*
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
(Woman to be silent in church. A woman is not to speak in church)
Ephesians 5:22 - 25*
22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing.
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
(Wives must submit themselves to their husband, afterall he is the head of the wife)
Slavery in the Buybull
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of t
Violence encouraged in the buybull
Kill Witches
You should not let a sorceress live.(Exodus 22:17 NAB)
Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)
Kill Fortunetellers
A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death.(Leviticus 20:27 NAB)
Death to Followers of Other Religions
Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed.(Exodus 22:19 NAB)
PS: I don't believe we are supposed to adhere to OT dark age stuff either. So you're really just kind of wasting your time slinging that dark age muck at ones like me.
I do believe wives should love and respect their husbands, and vice a versa however, as even general respect of and towards others amongst people is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#70045 Mar 26, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
PS: I don't believe we are supposed to adhere to OT dark age stuff either. So you're really just kind of wasting your time slinging that dark age muck at ones like me.
I do believe wives should love and respect their husbands, and vice a versa however, as even general respect of and towards others amongst people is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.
why would a real god EVER put out such rules? EVER?!?!

how can you justify a god that condoned slavery? regardless of the theological conundrum there if he changed his mind or was wrong the first time...how can you EVER back such a god?

and jesus didn't say those old laws of Moses were not in effect just that there are two different ways to follow god...another theological paradox...

face it, your cult is based on a man-made god...
TruthIs

United States

#70046 Mar 26, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> I don't know what aids has to do with anything. I stated that the buybull encourages hatred, intolerance, and sexism, and you responded by bringing up a non nonsensical rambling on aids. Point is that books encourages ideas, whether good or bad. The buybull encourages despicable things like slavery, homophobia, and sexism.
The bible I read encourages love, faith, compassion, understanding, tolerance and respect of and for others.

Books are harmless, they ar einanimate object. The various ways that people choose twist and distort them to suit themselves, is what can be harmful to others.
I for one, personally choose NOT to dwell on negatives, or incitements of hatred of any kind against others, when ever possible.
John

Minneapolis, MN

#70047 Mar 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Writing is not your strong suit.
<quoted text>
The issue is Thinking; literally and figuratively. Tell me a little something about atheism that is substantive and requires more than a word or sentence.
TruthIs

United States

#70048 Mar 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Everyone discounts one part of the bible or another.
That's why I can confidently discount all of it.
<quoted text>
Freedom of choice, certainly any individuals right to.
Just as it is any individuals right to prefer the color magenta over black, peas over carrots, light over dark.
Just others have found some of the passages in it quite beautiful and inspiring.
I don't have an issue with peoples personal choices (so long as they are not harming others in any way) that may differ from my own perspective, do you?
John

Minneapolis, MN

#70049 Mar 26, 2013
You loons don't believe in God. I love how devoted you are to him though LOL. If there is a God you are using the intelligence he gave you to question his. Priceless. You don't believe in God though. You don't believe anything in this arena. Just magic science. Time will answer these questions with magic science.
Still no evidence or accountable position in an atheism forum. This is simply a bigot march.
TruthIs

United States

#70050 Mar 26, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
It has me completely amazed that I see people on here who can continuously call others bigots and are upset about name calling... And in the same comment will insult and use bigotry.
The hypocrisy is thick.
Not my business.
I pesonally don't believe in merely "marginalizing" others as any sort of justification for anything.
TruthIs

United States

#70051 Mar 26, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why would a real god EVER put out such rules? EVER?!?!
how can you justify a god that condoned slavery? regardless of the theological conundrum there if he changed his mind or was wrong the first time...how can you EVER back such a god?
and jesus didn't say those old laws of Moses were not in effect just that there are two different ways to follow god...another theological paradox...
face it, your cult is based on a man-made god...
I don't. What part of I find that "OT dark age stuff" REPUGNENT are you having trouble understanding?

I don't belong to any "cult", so maybe you have people your throwing rocks at, confused?
TruthIs

United States

#70052 Mar 26, 2013
John wrote:
You loons don't believe in God. I love how devoted you are to him though LOL. If there is a God you are using the intelligence he gave you to question his. Priceless. You don't believe in God though. You don't believe anything in this arena. Just magic science. Time will answer these questions with magic science.
Still no evidence or accountable position in an atheism forum. This is simply a bigot march.
I don't believe in "magic"...slight of hand and eye chicanery...good only for amusement of the kind not to be taken seriously.:-)

St. Croix valley

#70053 Mar 26, 2013
John wrote:
You base your premise on the assumption there is a god that there is not one shred of evidence for...

this is why the conclusions you get from this flawed premise are also false...
TruthIs

United States

#70054 Mar 26, 2013
John wrote:
I do believe in prayers/meditations of the RIGHT kind however. They are harmless, and can be very uplifting and helpful.(based on my ow personal experience anyway, can't spea for anyone else on that, nor would I even begin to, because to do so would just be psychoTic!!)

St. Croix valley

#70055 Mar 26, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible I read encourages love, faith, compassion, understanding, tolerance and respect of and for others.
Books are harmless, they ar einanimate object. The various ways that people choose twist and distort them to suit themselves, is what can be harmful to others.
I for one, personally choose NOT to dwell on negatives, or incitements of hatred of any kind against others, when ever possible.
Not all of it encourages those things...why is that?
John

Minneapolis, MN

#70056 Mar 26, 2013
Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost four years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Four years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 67,260 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True
science that is repeatable and observable.
John

Minneapolis, MN

#70057 Mar 26, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 67,260 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

St. Croix valley

#70058 Mar 26, 2013
John wrote:
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 67,260 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
not one shred of evidence of the any god...ever. the god of the bible has been proven to be a lie...

what else ya got? more nothing?
John

Minneapolis, MN

#70059 Mar 26, 2013
This is your nothing forum. Why are you so worried about my beliefs bigot? I'll be happy to compare the reasons and evidences I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief of your own. Strange, you scurry away from that challenge. Which is submitted only because of your attacks BTW. Do you really think people are so gullible they don't notice there is never any evidence or logic from your ilk.
Your unwillingness to debate let's me know you realize there is a wealth of information from multiple disciplines for me to present. You? Not so much LOL.
I don't debate nothing. I love exposing the lengths you will go to fight against God. Merely disbelief my ass.
Thanks goodness for God because atheism can be defined in one sentence. No need for a forum.
John

Minneapolis, MN

#70060 Mar 26, 2013
Woodtick wants someone else to prove something in a forum based on his disbelief. Oh, this is rich.

Atheism exposed 101!

St. Croix valley

#70061 Mar 26, 2013
John wrote:
This is your nothing forum. Why are you so worried about my beliefs bigot? I'll be happy to compare the reasons and evidences I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief of your own. Strange, you scurry away from that challenge. Which is submitted only because of your attacks BTW. Do you really think people are so gullible they don't notice there is never any evidence or logic from your ilk.
Your unwillingness to debate let's me know you realize there is a wealth of information from multiple disciplines for me to present. You? Not so much LOL.
I don't debate nothing. I love exposing the lengths you will go to fight against God. Merely disbelief my ass.
Thanks goodness for God because atheism can be defined in one sentence. No need for a forum.
No, you just lied again, you are not happy to compare your evidence as i have asked you for it many times and you have NEVER shown one single piece of evidence. not once.

So now you are lying again, unless you produce said evidence of your god now...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr Science 2,572
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Science 83,147
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web