Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,979

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story
Lincoln

United States

#69680 Mar 16, 2013
President Obama on Friday met with over a dozen faith leaders at the White House who urged quick action to pass immigration reform.
After speaking with the president for around one hour, participants came away hopeful that Obama could sign a comprehensive immigration overhaul into law this year.
"This is the year," Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, told ABC/Univision after the meeting. "I walked out of that meeting with a greater sense of optimism, with the strong chance of passing comprehensive immigration reform this year."
Rev. Gabriel Salguero, the president of the National Latino Evangelical Association, echoed that sentiment.
"The urgency of immigration reform is now. We recognize there is a narrow political window and there is strong support for it," Salguero said. "We want to see strong bipartisan support, we don't want it to suffer inertia from partisanship or scoring political points."
John

Kansas City, MO

#69681 Mar 16, 2013
How Rich/Richard of you to try and take the focus off your irrational and illogical.four year evidence free charade against a God you don't believe in on me.

I might as well take financial advice from Obama. You skipped the questions by the way.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#69682 Mar 16, 2013
Indy 300M wrote:
<quoted text>
So religion doesn't drive us back to the dark ages. Look at the muslim world. No thanks.
Really, though, it's not so much evangalizing as it is making our presence known, so others don't feel isolated and we can collectively demand our equal rights and a secular government.
The nuclear inferno is on the march!!!
Lincoln

United States

#69683 Mar 16, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The nuclear inferno is on the march!!!
Last time you Germans were marching we had World War II
Jimmy

London, UK

#69684 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time you Germans were marching we had World War II
hitler was catholic, why do you guys even try?

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#69685 Mar 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Have you noticed that John isn't even bright enough to use reply correctly?
John is a dribbler.
<quoted text>
Yeah. I think I'm done with this topic.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#69686 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
At one point, though, Dawkins did retreat from one of his previous comments. At Reason Rally 2012 — a national atheist event — he had encouraged atheists to “ridicule” Catholics. In hindsight, he confessed,
“I think I did go too far,” though he claimed that he had not intended for ridicule to mean name-calling ..........
I was there.:-)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69687 Mar 16, 2013
John wrote:
No Bob you lose. You have nothing and even your definition of nothing requires semantics. You skipped the questions because you have no evidence to support you.
I have thoroughly exposed your agenda and welcome doing this for years more.
You don't believe in a prime mover or any other possibility. Each is equally plausible or implausible as you have proven an inability to quantify these possibilities. You are a run of the mill bigot. Not much different than a Klan member.
I expect nonsense from.Obama voters. Here is a clue, if you have to lie for your cause and create a strawmen its inadequate. If you want to support your claim there is no prime mover have at it. I just asked what you believe in 2009. You playing hard to get? Your worth it. I'll wait.
Welcome to Stumpville!
You think your "prime mover" is plausible?

PROVE IT:

Let's see ONE (1) argument in support of this... "plausible" thing of yours.

Nothing you say above? Is an argument in support of your... ahem... "prime mover".

You don't even describe what it is!

Let alone provide a SINGLE argument in support of it.

Without an argument?

Your ... "prime mover" is ... nothing.

The nothing you seem to worship.

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69688 Mar 16, 2013
John wrote:
The above rantings of Bob are all for the God he doesn't believe in lmao. There is no evidence. There is no logic. No science. No reason. Pure and simple maniacal hate enveloping a man unhappy with his existence. Living life on the fringes of society like a leper contributes to his already diminished cognitive state. That, or he is a hologram LOL.
Notice Bob won't debate me with something of his own; using his own standard, in his own forum.
Do you have any evidence at all in this arena you hold others accountable to? Yes or no.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
The above? Is not an argument in support of your ... ahem... "prime mover".

Neither is it evidence.

And yes-- science is repeatable and observable. Which is why evolution is science, and your "prime mover" isn't.

You are still a coward, without a single argument.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69689 Mar 16, 2013
John wrote:
You skipped my questions. On and on the nothing goes...

Neither is it evidence.

And yes-- science is repeatable and observable. Which is why evolution is science, and your "prime mover" isn't.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69690 Mar 16, 2013
John wrote:
How Rich/Richard of you to try and take the focus off your irrational and illogical.four year evidence free charade against a God you don't believe in on me.
I might as well take financial advice from Obama. You skipped the questions by the way.

Neither is it evidence.

Location hidden

#69691 Mar 16, 2013
John wrote:
No Bob you lose. You have nothing and even your definition of nothing requires semantics. You skipped the questions because you have no evidence to support you.
I have thoroughly exposed your agenda and welcome doing this for years more.
You don't believe in a prime mover or any other possibility. Each is equally plausible or implausible as you have proven an inability to quantify these possibilities. You are a run of the mill bigot. Not much different than a Klan member.
I expect nonsense from.Obama voters. Here is a clue, if you have to lie for your cause and create a strawmen its inadequate. If you want to support your claim there is no prime mover have at it. I just asked what you believe in 2009. You playing hard to get? Your worth it. I'll wait.
Welcome to Stumpville!
I don't understand quantum fluctuation. Maybe something is coming from nothing and maybe they just don't understand it yet.

Bob seems to attack you personally while you group people. Your use of the word bigot still bothers me. Even is bob is being a bigot, the pot is calling the kettle black. Even immediately after calling him a bigot and comparing him to a clan member , you say "I expect nonsense from Obama voters".

All I'm saying is you should not use the insult if you are going to be hypocritical.

I don't even know what Obama has to do with quantum fluctuation or the origin of the universe. I know it's the Barack Obama forum but I don't think he created the universe.

That being said.... Saying "voting for Barack Obama is stupid" is not the same as saying "Obama voters are stupid". I know you didn't say that ... It's an example.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69692 Mar 16, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob seems to attack you personally while you group people.
Go back to the earliest posts-- the first time Stump-John appears, I answered all of his questions as best as I was able, at the time.

He ignored them, and continues to do so-- in fact? Hundreds of posters answered him, time and time again.

He lies. It's what he does.

Now? It's amusing to poke him with a stick, and get the >>exact<< same response (or more accurately, non-response) like the little god-robot he resembles.

He has no argument. He has nothing.

Location hidden

#69693 Mar 16, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back to the earliest posts-- the first time Stump-John appears, I answered all of his questions as best as I was able, at the time.
He ignored them, and continues to do so-- in fact? Hundreds of posters answered him, time and time again.
He lies. It's what he does.
Now? It's amusing to poke him with a stick, and get the >>exact<< same response (or more accurately, non-response) like the little god-robot he resembles.
He has no argument. He has nothing.
I had that assumption but I'm new to this discussion who it would be wrong of me to jump to that conclusion without finding evidence. ;-)

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#69694 Mar 16, 2013
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

Main category: Religious demographics
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

Note the (July 2012) date.

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
John

Kansas City, MO

#69695 Mar 16, 2013
All these claims of relevant answerable and evidence LOL. Strange they are never simply posted. Unless you have some evidence you hold others accountable to or an accountable position of belief you would like to submit this is just the lying I say it is. Year after year after year. Bigots is an entirely appropriate term. Now get your nothing out of here!
John

Kansas City, MO

#69696 Mar 16, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I had that assumption but I'm new to this discussion who it would be wrong of me to jump to that conclusion without finding evidence. ;-)
He said it so it must be true. That's how evidence works amongst the intellectualy dishonest antitheist.
John

Kansas City, MO

#69697 Mar 16, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. ;)
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit..
John

Kansas City, MO

#69698 Mar 16, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 66,900 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69699 Mar 17, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it would be; and unbecoming of a skeptic too.

:)

I'm confident, though, that with just a wee bit'o thread necromancy, you'll discover whatever it is you wish to discover.

I've maintained a list of links that do point to some of the oldest comments that have previously answered Stump-John's "questions". He always ignores them, naturally.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 234,702
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 3 hr NoahLovesU 1,259
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr NoahLovesU 14,708
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr woodtick57 2,848
why? 6 hr Uncle Sam 55
The Consequences of Atheism 7 hr ChristineM 85
Christianity Created Hitler 9 hr thetruth 221
More from around the web