Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story
John

East Saint Louis, IL

#68624 Feb 23, 2013
Thanks for your irrelevant side commentary madscot.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#68625 Feb 23, 2013
John wrote:
I'm comfortable exposing you and refusing to debate nothing. You skipped the questions by the way. My accountable position in a debate of this nature would be a prime mover. You haven't given yours. Nothing doesn't frighten me in the least.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
This post of yours?

Not a debate. Not evidence of any kind.

I get to keep my money. And you?

You are the coward-- exactly as I predicted.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#68626 Feb 23, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
http://cara.georgetown.edu/
If it matters to you, Bob.
That is incomplete-- he quoted more than that (yes, I went back to skim his non-cited SPAM).

Thanks, though.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#68627 Feb 23, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
CARA and Georgetown University are Catholic run orginizations. Why do you think a Catholic run anything would be trustworthy?
Good point-- I missed that fact myself.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#68628 Feb 23, 2013
John wrote:
Thanks for your irrelevant side commentary madscot.
This post of yours?

Not a debate. Not evidence of any kind.

I get to keep my money. And you?

You are the coward-- exactly as I predicted.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#68629 Feb 23, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>I did not bother to even read it-- since you gave no references as to where you stole it from.

Stealing-- yet another trait common to Genuine Christians™

'tis an ugly religion, it 'tis.
"I did not bother to even read it-- since you gave no references as to where you stole it from."

What you can't read?

"study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA)."

What a DOLT!

Location hidden

#68630 Feb 23, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>CARA and Georgetown University are Catholic run orginizations. Why do you think a Catholic run anything would be trustworthy?
Because I do.

Why do you believe in spontaneous self generating life?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#68631 Feb 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I do.
Because the simplest explanation is often the correct one.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#68632 Feb 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like this :(
"Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
"What these findings reflect is that in the U.S. atheists are for the most part 'made' as adults after being raised in another faith. It appears to be much more challenging to raise one's child as an atheist and have them maintain this identity in their life," Dr. Mark Gray wrote at CARA's blog.
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
The study used the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life's 2008 U.S. Religious Landscape Survey. Gray noted that Pew's original report did not include some of the retention rates. Pew provided CARA with the original data sets for the study."
And? What is you point?
That doesn't argue for god.

North Hollywood, CA

#68633 Feb 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I do.
I don't know how life began, I admit.
But I do know the creation story in Genesis is just a Bronze Age myth. It's full of clearly absurd tales. So, I do know it didn't happen that way.
My guess is that combinations of amino acids that became life were formed by lightning in pools of chemicals in the pre-oxygen atmosphere earth. But, maybe not. But, again, I do know the story in Genesis is just that, a story.

An analogy, what if you were to ask me how every kid on earth gets their Christmas gift, and then you quote me "The Night Before Christmas". I'd tell you that is just a story, but that doesn't mean I have to know the details of how every child on earth who got a Christmas gift got one to know that poem isn't history.

Location hidden

#68634 Feb 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Because the simplest explanation is often the correct one.
Agreed, so why do you believe in the Big Bang, then Spontaneous self generating life, then a single cell being the mother of all plant and animal life that ever lived and currently live, Mutations improving life billions and billions of times?

As apposed to a intelligent designer?

Location hidden

#68635 Feb 23, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>And? What is you point?
That doesn't argue for god.
My point? Lol

2.04% what a joke your religion is!

You claim all humans are born atheist.
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population that is atheist is at 2.04%.

That means that 97.96% of your congregation has left your faith!!

WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.96%!!!!!!!
Do you realize how many people that is?

Man you're not just losing them, at that rate they are running from you!

LMFAO

Location hidden

#68636 Feb 23, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how life began, I admit.
But I do know the creation story in Genesis is just a Bronze Age myth. It's full of clearly absurd tales. So, I do know it didn't happen that way.
My guess is that combinations of amino acids that became life were formed by lightning in pools of chemicals in the pre-oxygen atmosphere earth. But, maybe not. But, again, I do know the story in Genesis is just that, a story.

An analogy, what if you were to ask me how every kid on earth gets their Christmas gift, and then you quote me "The Night Before Christmas". I'd tell you that is just a story, but that doesn't mean I have to know the details of how every child on earth who got a Christmas gift got one to know that poem isn't history.
"Bronze Age" try Iron Age.

"My guess is that combinations of amino acids that became life were formed by lightning in pools of chemicals in the pre-oxygen atmosphere earth"

Where did the amino acids come from?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#68637 Feb 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bronze Age" try Iron Age.
"My guess is that combinations of amino acids that became life were formed by lightning in pools of chemicals in the pre-oxygen atmosphere earth"
Where did the amino acids come from?
Where did your beliefs come from? A fiction novel.
the greatness

Harrisonville, MO

#68638 Feb 23, 2013
God loves you

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#68639 Feb 23, 2013
the greatness wrote:
God loves you
BS.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#68640 Feb 23, 2013
the greatness wrote:
God loves you
Show me one place in the bible where god shows any love other than the statement (for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son).

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#68641 Feb 23, 2013
Because you do ah the bleating of a sheeple. Can you prove life didn't originate from natural devices?
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I do.
the greatness

Harrisonville, MO

#68642 Feb 23, 2013
God really does love you

North Hollywood, CA

#68643 Feb 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
My point? Lol
2.04% what a joke your religion is!
You claim all humans are born atheist.
They are all born without a belief in god.
They have to be taught to believe in one.
What do you fundies get out of claiming atheism is a religion but Christianity isn't?
Langoliers wrote:
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population that is atheist is at 2.04%.
That means that 97.96% of your congregation has left your faith!!
WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.96%!!!!!!!
And? What shape was the earth when 97.96% of the earth thought it was flat? You can't vote on truth.
Langoliers wrote:
Do you realize how many people that is?
Man you're not just losing them, at that rate they are running from you!
LMFAO
As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 min Patrick 150
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min Dave Nelson 228,530
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr Patrick 3
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr _Bad Company 22,919
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Richardfs 674

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE