Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#67130 Jan 17, 2013
John wrote:
I didn't catch your scientific, natural explanation for the universe. Do you have one? Don't skip steps.
We don't have one ... yet.

Why do you want to accept the made up mythological one that gives you no answers or benefits instead of learning what you can about the real universe?
John

United States

#67131 Jan 17, 2013
I don't disagree this isn't near pure capitalism. The narrative has changed and the political will to implement what had been the best example of workable commerce on this scale isn't there. Why don't you stop advocating for the progressive side. We know that is a nonstarter. Yet, you march against your own words. Thank me for trying to remove your blinders.

I agree with you on the internet. Guess what Obama/progressives have their eyes on beside your pension. You can learn a lot from proposed legislation. Your actions aren't in sync with your words.

It's not difficult for me to agree with you on certain things. I'm intellectually honest. Try it sonetime. It's liberating.

When your yet is ready we can debate my belief. I don't debate nothing.

Do you believe in a historical Jesus? Let's test your intellectual honesty. You can do it. Break those chains!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#67132 Jan 17, 2013
"I don't debate nothing" - atrocious!
John wrote:
I don't disagree this isn't near pure capitalism. The narrative has changed and the political will to implement what had been the best example of workable commerce on this scale isn't there. Why don't you stop advocating for the progressive side. We know that is a nonstarter. Yet, you march against your own words. Thank me for trying to remove your blinders.
I agree with you on the internet. Guess what Obama/progressives have their eyes on beside your pension. You can learn a lot from proposed legislation. Your actions aren't in sync with your words.
It's not difficult for me to agree with you on certain things. I'm intellectually honest. Try it sonetime. It's liberating.
Do you believe in a historical Jesus? Let's test your intellectual honesty. You can do it. Break those chains!
John

United States

#67133 Jan 17, 2013
You fight hard for it though. This is a gun and evidence free zone. My sticker ensures that.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#67134 Jan 17, 2013
John wrote:

Um, I know most of them the moment Google does. ;) We missed one recently. >.> One that gives other countries the power to essentially get all your information from your ISP, as well as the federal government, all in the guise of "protecting intellectual property," Obama signed the treaty. But if you think the Republicans would not do that, think again, they're both trying to control the internet. But we will not make it easy, the internet is the last fair and balanced place in the world where we have most freedom of speech.
As for the Jesus, there were a lot of street preachers in that time, and Jesus was a very common first name. As for the bible stories, they are ripped off from other stories, and there is zero evidence supporting that the new versions of those stories, the ones in the bible that is, are any more real.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#67135 Jan 17, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
And the evidence for any of this is...?
<quoted text>
Quantum mechanics doesn't say that you can't observe an electron. It says only that you can't identify the electron's *exact* location.
<quoted text>
But if one has no evidence for the existence of the mountain, on what rational basis can one claim that the mountain exists?
<quoted text>
Why not?
Heisenberg was speeding along the highway, and a cop pulled him over. The cop asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
And Heisenberg says, "Not exactly, but I can tell you exactly where I was."
:)

Santa Monica, CA

#67136 Jan 17, 2013
John wrote:
Do I believe the Jesus character in the Gospels existed? No.
I believe it's possible there is a person or people behind the Jesus myth, like there is a person behind the Santa myth. I also believe it's possible Jesus it a totally fictional character. If I had to put money down, I'd bet Jesus is based on a real person.
John

United States

#67137 Jan 17, 2013
The Google whose CEO frequents the White House and was touted for a position within the Obama administration? One outcome for the lawsuit in Europe, another in the US. Why do you give cover to Obama? He is wrong on steroids regardless of what the Republican Party is. Obama loves treaties relinquishing our freedoms and soveireignty. That's unconstitutional by the way. Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

What should matter is progressives take away freedoms. If you say you want more of it you should oust these vermin. They now control what at one time was a mostly reasonable Democratic party. Mccarthy was correct. Libertarian, Constitutionalist,,are reasonable viewpoints.

The time for choosing sides may be close. Maybe you will see some crossover from the fairness doctrine.

Come on K, there is plenty of evidence from non-Christian sources of a historical Jesus. The biblical Jesus. That just makes you look silly.

I disagree with the last part of your post as well, but you know that. Of course you are free to do so. For now.

Perhaps you shouldn't stand on the sidelines when the progressives in here spout off. I'm closer to a friend of your freedom then they ever will be. My belief and your disbelief notwithstanding.
John

United States

#67138 Jan 17, 2013
How appropriate. Rose posted as I was. Do you really want to be a dishonest loon like Rose? Rose tell K how Obama reduced government.

Do your own homework guys I'm not going to do it for you. Okay, I take that back I will do some if Rose apologies for her lie that Obama reduced government size and spending.

K, I'm going to hang onto the tiny glimmer of hope I have for you. Are you presently an Obama supporter?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#67139 Jan 17, 2013
John wrote:
The Google whose CEO frequents the White House and was touted for a position within the Obama administration? One outcome for the lawsuit in Europe, another in the US. Why do you give cover to Obama? He is wrong on steroids regardless of what the Republican Party is. Obama loves treaties relinquishing our freedoms and soveireignty. That's unconstitutional by the way. Maybe that doesn't matter to you.
What should matter is progressives take away freedoms. If you say you want more of it you should oust these vermin. They now control what at one time was a mostly reasonable Democratic party. Mccarthy was correct. Libertarian, Constitutionalist,,are reasonable viewpoints.
The time for choosing sides may be close. Maybe you will see some crossover from the fairness doctrine.
Come on K, there is plenty of evidence from non-Christian sources of a historical Jesus. The biblical Jesus. That just makes you look silly.
I disagree with the last part of your post as well, but you know that. Of course you are free to do so. For now.
Perhaps you shouldn't stand on the sidelines when the progressives in here spout off. I'm closer to a friend of your freedom then they ever will be. My belief and your disbelief notwithstanding.
Obama is a twit, and Google's corporate staff have been spearheading all efforts to stop his encroaching on the internet.

I still have seen nothing but hearsay, without a body, actual grave, or some real markers, at least something that everyone agrees on and doesn't suffer from serious ambiguity would be nice. But that's the problem when you piece together a story from many other stories, you wind up with no evidence to support it and a ton of "this could be ..." It's just not convincing at all. That's ignoring all the fraudulent claims around the bible's other stories as well, which really hurts the entire case for anything in that book. I simply cannot accept such vague evidence.

Santa Monica, CA

#67140 Jan 17, 2013
John wrote:
How appropriate. Rose posted as I was. Do you really want to be a dishonest loon like Rose? Rose tell K how Obama reduced government.
Do your own homework guys I'm not going to do it for you. Okay, I take that back I will do some if Rose apologies for her lie that Obama reduced government size and spending.
K, I'm going to hang onto the tiny glimmer of hope I have for you. Are you presently an Obama supporter?
Do you fundies get a quarter every time you type "Obama" in a forum?
I have no idea what you are talking about with the "size of government" thing. Must be just another excuse for you to type "Obama".

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#67141 Jan 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I didn't ask how is it possible that human's can think about the abstract you are hiding from my question as expected. Again what I asked was is where did the concept or notion of a god come from? Where does the idea originate from?
This seems to terrify you and your logical fallacies. Let's see if you can actually answer this and stop humiliating yourself on front of those who are way smarter than you. Way way way way smarter than you.
<quoted text>
Givemeliberty

See post 67051: You write...,"Wow you love you some special pleading! Well since that I your favorite logical fallacy explain how we even have the concept or notion of god? If he is totally outside the observable how did the notion of there being a god even arise?"(Note: I left in the errors....RF)

My answer: You did ask "how".
I gave you an answer concerning "how".

Your counter is now that you never asked "how".

My answer: You have been proved wrong.

Comment: It is hard to debate with someone when their brain doesn't function well, your grammer is atrocious, and your memory the same. Your rhetoric is excellent. Your logic is average.

Good day.

Location hidden

#67142 Jan 17, 2013
Got to go. See you tomorrow, God willing.
NorthbyNW

Denver, CO

#67143 Jan 17, 2013
The average atheist makes much ado about evidence, but he doesn't really care about it one way or another. That much is *evident* in the deadening redundancy of scientific factoids found on atheist forums. He knows God exists, he just refuses to bow down to the Christian version of diety.

Santa Monica, CA

#67144 Jan 17, 2013
NorthbyNW wrote:
The average atheist makes much ado about evidence, but he doesn't really care about it one way or another. That much is *evident* in the deadening redundancy of scientific factoids found on atheist forums. He knows God exists, he just refuses to bow down to the Christian version of diety.
This is one of the stupider fundie "arguments". If I did believe in your god, why would I say I didn't?

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#67145 Jan 17, 2013
I didn't see your proof for a prime mover pussyassbitch. Get your nothing out of here! Stop with the ineptitude and show proof for your claim bitchboy for Christ!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
John wrote:
I didn't catch your scientific, natural explanation for the universe. Do you have one? Don't skip steps.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#67146 Jan 17, 2013
Wow my iPhone changed is to I! Holy hells bells stop the presses! Lmfao!

Again how do we have the concept and notion of god? All you said was, well because humans can have such a notion.

Well gee wiz captain obvious! Humans talking about the notion of god have a notion of god! Whew doggies you are really on a roll now! Now where do these notions come from retard? Stop obfuscating what I said it's not helping you.

Now since you lack the IQ or perhaps the intellectual honesty, most likely both, let me answer the question that you keep hiding from.

The notion of god came from ancient people as an explanation for what they observed around them. They lacked the understanding and tools that we have today and were just doing their best. They believed there was a wind god for example who blew the wind as he saw fit, they even had rituals before traveling to try to make the wind blow with them rather than against them. This ritual was performed and at that time the wind direction changed and now we have these ancient people thinking their silly dance could change the wind direction. This superstition is passed down through the generations. Later they had gods of the trees, animals, water, sun, and so on after a while the superstition had people thinking there was a god for everything that they could perform rituals do to do their bidding. When things went their way in the field that meant the wheat god was with them. When the crop went south the wheat god was angry or acting mysteriously! Perhaps the wheat god wasn't pleased with their dancing and chanting he needs more right? So let's kill some animals and pour their blood on the field! Hey it worked a week later the wheat started growing again! Good thing to because children would be sacrificed if it didn't!

And following this pattern we pretty much can sum up how we have the notion of god passed down to us.

Now today we know that there is no reason to sacrifice children to make crops grow as we have agricultural developments that actually work time and time again. We don't need to dance around brandishing our buttocks to the wind so it blows in the proper direction we just check the weather on our phone and plan accordingly. Today we laugh at such notions of dancing for the wind. Today we would be horrified if a farmer went on TV and said he was going to sacrifice his children so his crops would grow better. Our understanding is better and with that the superstitious ways of the past seem quaint and at times horrifying.

The ancient people were mistaken Robert. They lived in the shadow of superstition and delusion. Today we can be free of that. Break those chains of superstitious slavery Robert, the wind doesn't care if we taunt it by brandishing our buttocks at it.
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Givemeliberty
See post 67051: You write...,"Wow you love you some special pleading! Well since that I your favorite logical fallacy explain how we even have the concept or notion of god? If he is totally outside the observable how did the notion of there being a god even arise?"(Note: I left in the errors....RF)
My answer: You did ask "how".
I gave you an answer concerning "how".
Your counter is now that you never asked "how".
My answer: You have been proved wrong.
Comment: It is hard to debate with someone when their brain doesn't function well, your grammer is atrocious, and your memory the same. Your rhetoric is excellent. Your logic is average.
Good day.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#67148 Jan 18, 2013
NorthbyNW wrote:
The average xtian is convinced that us atheist know that God exist despite our adamant statements to the contrary.

Location hidden

#67150 Jan 18, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The more people are educated, the more are atheists. That is quite logical why they are on the forward march! But in the age of nuclear age we do have very little time to stay alive! Capitalism has to be abolished in order to survive!
Hello Henry

Sounds like you are in a desperate place....

Now I am not saying atheists are more or less educated. But if a person, or generation is more educated, wouldn't it seem more likely a solution could be found to modify capitalism.

Rather than lay blame on capitalism, as another failed "ism", the incentives must be made a source of wealth. In other words the definition of wealth must change. To abolish it would crash the whole system. It would be chaos.

Location hidden

#67151 Jan 18, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe "felling" is the wrong word.
Let me put on my Spock ears:
If there is an all-powerful, all-knowing, honest deity who cares about us and what we do, and who has promised to answer our prayers, logic dictates there is evidence of his existence.
(At this point I'm not saying what would or wouldn't "count" as evidence, or if the evidence exists, or not.)
<quoted text>
This god is supposed to be everywhere, so distance could not be an issue.
<quoted text>
But mountains aren't all powerful, and they aren't interested in what we do.
<quoted text>
Well, if there were an elephant in my kitchen, I would see, hear, and smell the evidence. And an elephant isn't even all powerful. But my main point was that in some cases, you can prove a negative.
Maybe we do have to agree to disagree.
Rose Hoho

Well...,lets disagree to agree(smile).

I am just trying to understand, so in the end, my point is not that I prove or disprove God's existence based on evidence. But if I can understand someone elses view, then I have better understanding....

I would say, that distance does make a difference in determing if one can "see" God....Using the elephant again, if you were 20 miles away, I doubt you could see the elephant. Or if your eyeball were right on the elephant, you could not see the elephant. So the distance becomes important between the object and viewer.

In modern spiritualism, there is this "sense" of seeing God. But I would deny this is God. And I think this is where most are lacking in understanding.

Why?

If God is Truth, then one is bonded to Truth by definition, and this is Religion.
But if Religion is Truth, then one is bonded to Oneself, and is therefore a Lie.

(If one looks infinitely far, or infinitely within, then one is bonded....In other words practicing Religion.
If one looks on the surface or within an infinite framework, then one is bonded to Oneself, and practicing a Lie.)

It is the incorrectness, the flaw one sees, the Lie, not in God, but in the individual in practicing Religion that makes brings doubt on God's existence.

So the "sense" of seeing God becomes a Lie, as spiritualism is merely looking at oneself. This makes the practioner of spiritualism a Liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 min Eagle 12 2,279
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr Thinking 142
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr KiMare 232,900
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 16 hr Yiago 148
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 22 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 22 hr thetruth 67
More from around the web