Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#66766 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
How strange. You label everybody, including scientists who disagree with you as mentally disturbed. Has it ever occurred to you that you might be the one who is unhinged?
lying sack of manipulative creationist sh*t with no proof of god.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66767 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
How strange. You label everybody, including scientists who disagree with you as mentally disturbed. Has it ever occurred to you that you might be the one who is unhinged?
Nope, never occurred to me in recent years as I have nothing to feel insecure about.

99% of the population is mentally disturbed in some way, though it's often a simple delusion that some imaginary thing talks to them and tells them how to live.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66768 Jan 7, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why don't you jump off the top of a very tall building, thus proving that Professor Verlinde is correct?
Velinde is not saying you can't fall down, he's saying that science is looking at gravity the wrong way. Read the article.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66769 Jan 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
lying sack of manipulative creationist sh*t with no proof of god.
You are proof positive that the prejudiced always think in extremes.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66770 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, never occurred to me in recent years as I have nothing to feel insecure about.
99% of the population is mentally disturbed in some way, though it's often a simple delusion that some imaginary thing talks to them and tells them how to live.
Those who feel secure don't require constant affirmation and validation as you have demonstrated time and again.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66771 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Velinde is not saying you can't fall down, he's saying that science is looking at gravity the wrong way. Read the article.
The "wrong way?" So then the "right way" is "angels hold things down?"
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66772 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The "wrong way?" So then the "right way" is "angels hold things down?"
Angels? Where did that come from - your delusional state of mind?

Since: Jan 13

Largo, FL

#66773 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an intersting point. If a person went around claiming that they have an invisible friend that they can communicate with, and that their invisible friend is the final word on justice, morality, and truth, that person would probably be sent to a mental hospital for observation.

And yet, by simply calling himself "Christian", such a person is considered perfectly sane.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66774 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who feel secure don't require constant affirmation and validation as you have demonstrated time and again.
Erm, what? Are you hallucinating?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66775 Jan 7, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an intersting point. If a person went around claiming that they have an invisible friend that they can communicate with, and that their invisible friend is the final word on justice, morality, and truth, that person would probably be sent to a mental hospital for observation.
And yet, by simply calling himself "Christian", such a person is considered perfectly sane.
Thus why the vast majority of the human population is delusional. ;)

Not just christian, but any religion. Religious belief gets a free pass, and yet they are delusional,
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66776 Jan 7, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Is worshipping science a perceptible indication that one is sane in your world? Not much difference between an invisble friend and a superhero.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66777 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not just christian, but any religion. Religious belief gets a free pass, and yet they are delusional,
You are engaging in stereotypical thinking. "If one is agin science, one must be fer religion, right?" While such an interpretation may be satisfyingly simple, it's also nonsense and another indication that you are prone to unhinged thinking.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#66778 Jan 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not wasting time here. This is very productive time. I'm learning, teaching, and having fun. It's so much fun that I am here whenever I have time and there are more posts that I haven't read yet.
REASONS TO POST ON TOPIX
[1] Learn from one another. This is atheist school, and we have many gifted minds here.
[2] Sway any possible uncommitted lurkers or future readers.
[3] Practice formulating better and more cogent arguments.
[4] Practice writing skills.
[5] Observe the parade of theists - I'd pay for that
What's to learn about "being" an unbeliever"? Either you are one or you are not; ideology is a concept not a skill.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#66779 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you aren't confused at all about that gherkin under your skirt?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66781 Jan 7, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>So you aren't confused at all about that gherkin under your skirt?
Still trying to get away with lying, I see. So ... where is your evidence again? You still haven't shown any that your assertions are based on reality.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66782 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You are engaging in stereotypical thinking. "If one is agin science, one must be fer religion, right?" While such an interpretation may be satisfyingly simple, it's also nonsense and another indication that you are prone to unhinged thinking.
I said nothing of the sort, you are putting words into my post. I stated, based on the definition of delusion, that religious people are delusional. That is not because they disagree with anything, but because they assert something is reality while lacking any evidence to demonstrate it.

Since: Jan 13

Largo, FL

#66783 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Is worshipping science a perceptible indication that one is sane in your world? Not much difference between an invisble friend and a superhero.
You make the same idiotic argument that many "believers" make. When did I ever say I "worship" science? Again, you are trying to drag me down to your level. I don't think there is anything magical about science. It's just that science and math are based upon fact.

Let me explain to you the diffrence between worshipping, and stating facts:

When you get down on your knees and thank God for your many blessings, or beg him to cure your illness, you are worshipping.

When I say that ice is cold, or that 2 plus 2 equals 4, I am stating facts.

See the diffrence?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#66784 Jan 7, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Obfuscation will get you nowhere. Erik Verlinde, professor of Theoretical Physics says gravity is an illusion:
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/11/...
Actually, Verlinde has proposed that gravity is not fundamental, but is a result of the other forces and of thermodynamics (the Entropic theory of gravity). This happens in a similar way to temperature. Temperature does not make sense when there is only one atom, so it is not a fundamental concept. Instead, it turns out to be related to the *average* kinetic energy of the atoms in the sample we are taking the temperature of.

It should be pointed out that things still fall (or orbit) and that the Einstein equations for gravity are an incredibly good approximation, even if Verlinde is correct. Of course, the real question is whether Verlinde can make any testable predictions using his model. That, at yet, has not happened.

Oh, even in Verlinde's theory, the universe was once much hotter and denser than it is now: so the basic Big Bang scenario still holds. Any modifications would be at times before the inflationary epoch.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66785 Jan 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Verlinde has proposed that gravity is not fundamental, but is a result of the other forces and of thermodynamics (the Entropic theory of gravity). This happens in a similar way to temperature. Temperature does not make sense when there is only one atom, so it is not a fundamental concept. Instead, it turns out to be related to the *average* kinetic energy of the atoms in the sample we are taking the temperature of.
It should be pointed out that things still fall (or orbit) and that the Einstein equations for gravity are an incredibly good approximation, even if Verlinde is correct. Of course, the real question is whether Verlinde can make any testable predictions using his model. That, at yet, has not happened.
Oh, even in Verlinde's theory, the universe was once much hotter and denser than it is now: so the basic Big Bang scenario still holds. Any modifications would be at times before the inflationary epoch.
Hmm, now I like this Verlinde guy. Maybe I should have checked the link and not assumed it actually agree with postcript's idiotic notions. lol
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66786 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I said nothing of the sort, you are putting words into my post. I stated, based on the definition of delusion, that religious people are delusional. That is not because they disagree with anything, but because they assert something is reality while lacking any evidence to demonstrate it.
Amazing! You will even go as far as to deny the content of your own posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 21 min Thinking 25
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min Thinking 232,718
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 40 min serfs up 2,262
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Thinking 1,439
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 23,175
America Commits Suicide (Nov '12) 1 hr Pahu 11
God' existence 22 hr polymath257 55
More from around the web