Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
64,001 - 64,020 of 70,959 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 7

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why the US was never a democracy, democratic republic is the more accurate description, even our founding fathers knew that mob rule is a bad idea, and democracy is mob rule with a procedure.
Science cannot do anything, it is a tool, we use it to better our lives, and it's served us well so far. You are seriously swallowing the whole tackle box, as you are supporting every single pseudo-scientific scam and conspiracy nut on the planet with your assertions here.
KittenKoder

No. Quite the opposite. I am quite the skeptic.

But you are right, the U.S. is a democratic republic....Although I don't understand what the "republic" really is outside of being synonymous with being "government".

But I am stumped on a quantum level phenomena which I was working on some years ago. The problem arose from trying to make a plastic barrier 1 in wide, which did not leak hydrogen.(It was for an aerospace project, so it had to be light in weight, but could withstand high pressure.) We did make the plastic and the process was tightly controlled.

The study was on the penetration(leakage) rate of hydrogen atoms across an amorphous plastic/solid.

The problem was/is that one could predict that 5 out of 100 cases would prevent penetration(to a "degree"), but not which 5, except by physical testing. Nor could one improve on the results....

Thus as a manufacturing process it was a failure (5 out of 100), and it cost the buyer a fortune, but as a physics phenomena it was and still is interesting to me.

The results showed either a failure caused by defect, or a success, with no variability(but always a well defined leagage rate). This meant that the hydrogen had to be "leaking/penetrating " on a "sub-atomic" level. Do you have any ideas? I suspect polymorphism, but across a 1 inch barrier does not seem possible....

So I do think I have enough "critical thinking" ability left to know when I am being taken on a ride....

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
The tight weave of a scientifically engineered society that makes a comfortable hammock for some just as surely makes a noose that strangles others. Loosening the stranglehold and throwing away the noose is the beginning of culture rather than the end of it. If the notion of "self "is a product of Darwinian evolution - of conveniences and gadgetries, then it is nothing less than a product of science's idea of civilization. By this logic, those who draw their sense of identity and integrity from within - from the self - rather than from technological notions, are basking in the glory of an advanced civilization. And by this logic, the group behavior is retrograde - primitive.
Science's civilization will go on. The pattern is set. It will go on and on until is sucks up the last resources of the planet that so graciously supports it - carrying its minions with it. At the very least, whether or not science's version of civilization brings about the death of the planet, it is clearly no longer required.
postscriptt

An interesting view....

I think one sees the addiction to the newest toy quite evident in the society of today.

This new toy is what makes us primitive, I wouldn't call it childlike....

It is the new opiate of the people. But resources are going fast....

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You quoted outdated statistics. In your rush to provide links, you didn't read them.
2011 is outdated? You should travel back to your time then.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
KittenKoder
No. Quite the opposite. I am quite the skeptic.
But you are right, the U.S. is a democratic republic....Although I don't understand what the "republic" really is outside of being synonymous with being "government".
But I am stumped on a quantum level phenomena which I was working on some years ago. The problem arose from trying to make a plastic barrier 1 in wide, which did not leak hydrogen.(It was for an aerospace project, so it had to be light in weight, but could withstand high pressure.) We did make the plastic and the process was tightly controlled.
The study was on the penetration(leakage) rate of hydrogen atoms across an amorphous plastic/solid.
The problem was/is that one could predict that 5 out of 100 cases would prevent penetration(to a "degree"), but not which 5, except by physical testing. Nor could one improve on the results....
Thus as a manufacturing process it was a failure (5 out of 100), and it cost the buyer a fortune, but as a physics phenomena it was and still is interesting to me.
The results showed either a failure caused by defect, or a success, with no variability(but always a well defined leagage rate). This meant that the hydrogen had to be "leaking/penetrating " on a "sub-atomic" level. Do you have any ideas? I suspect polymorphism, but across a 1 inch barrier does not seem possible....
So I do think I have enough "critical thinking" ability left to know when I am being taken on a ride....
Even some of the greats had delusions.
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Castro, Trotsky, Mao, Himler, Eichmann all were atheists.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Hostler was a devout catholic you are an idiot.
Lincoln wrote:
Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Castro, Trotsky, Mao, Himler, Eichmann all were atheists.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Wow you never cease to amaze with your stupidity.

So stop cowering from my question serif as how you love firing away your ignorant babbling.

Why should anyone accept god as anything more than the product of someone's vivid imagination?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. The placebo effect is measurable and quantifiable and often works better than the real thing with fewer side effects.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
I think Penn tells it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Warning, they have experts for and against in their shows. You may not want to watch it if you don't like facts.
Penn and Teller - really? They are entertainers who like Randi are in the business of debunking. They are apt to do anything to boost ratings. In fact, they did. They faked a big foot video in an effort to disprove the big foot phenomena.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/hoaxes/sonom...
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
2000 years ago lifespans were about 30, and that was with soap and water. There were wars across the globe. People starved so much that no one even noticed. You really want to go back to that?
Stop exaggerating! Nobody knows how long humans lived 2000 years ago. Sketchy historical records are generally unreliable sources of statistics - not to mention notoriously unrepresentative graveyard epitaphs and samples.

Life expectancy is a figure dramatically influenced by infant mortality often pegged as high as 30% in some scientific studies. This does not mean that the average person living 2000 years ago, died at the age of 30. Rather it suggests that for every child that died in infancy, another person could have lived to be 70. Based on what documentation is available, particulally among the more elite - many Greeks and Romans lived into their late 60s to 80s, not unlike today's human crop.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Penn and Teller - really? They are entertainers who like Randi are in the business of debunking. They are apt to do anything to boost ratings. In fact, they did. They faked a big foot video in an effort to disprove the big foot phenomena.
http://www.bigfootencounters.com/hoaxes/sonom...
In other words, you avoided watching the videos because you know they'll make learning too much fun for you to handle. As I said, they have experts on there, they also give the crackpots like you equal time, which never fails to entertain.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop exaggerating! Nobody knows how long humans lived 2000 years ago. Sketchy historical records are generally unreliable sources of statistics - not to mention notoriously unrepresentative graveyard epitaphs and samples.
Life expectancy is a figure dramatically influenced by infant mortality often pegged as high as 30% in some scientific studies. This does not mean that the average person living 2000 years ago, died at the age of 30. Rather it suggests that for every child that died in infancy, another person could have lived to be 70. Based on what documentation is available, particulally among the more elite - many Greeks and Romans lived into their late 60s to 80s, not unlike today's human crop.
Actually, if we can tell how old a person was when they died by their skeleton. So yes, we do know.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Oh, and a few people living a long time does not change the life expectancy of that era. The majority died well before 30, thus the life expectancy was 30. Some people live to 108 today, but life expectancy is still 80 years, because the majority of humans today live to 80 years. Life expectancy also has infant mortality factored into it.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you avoided watching the videos because you know they'll make learning too much fun for you to handle. As I said, they have experts on there, they also give the crackpots like you equal time, which never fails to entertain.
I got through a couple of the videos. I think Penn and Teller have more fun duping the viewer with their sensationalized crackpot psychotic twists.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if we can tell how old a person was when they died by their skeleton. So yes, we do know.
Actually, the most accurate method in determining the age of skeletal remains is to examine the dentition.
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hostler :-)

Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Zinoviev, Castro, Trotsky, Mao, Himler, Eichmann, Ho all were atheists
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hostler :-)
Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Castro, Zinoviev, Trotsky, Mao, Himler, Eichmann all were atheists

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
I got through a couple of the videos. I think Penn and Teller have more fun duping the viewer with their sensationalized crackpot psychotic twists.
"Duping the viewer?" So you don't think they present facts? How rather blind you are.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
No proof of god - and no arguments whatsoever. You need to prove your god before your criticize science.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
No proof of god - and no arguments whatsoever. You need to prove your god before your criticize science.
Science, like religion, is fair game. The only prerequisite necessary is doubt. And while I'm on the subject - you atheists have a loooooog march ahead of you.

A recent Gallop poll (June-2012) found that "forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process."

"More broadly, some 78% of Americans today believe that God had a hand in the development of humans in some way, just slightly less than the percentage who felt this way 30 years ago."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Hold-Creati...

So much for the credulity of science's version of creation, eh? In order to swallow science's schtick about origins completely - that the universe happened by accident - that something comes from nothing - that dead matter gives rise to life - you have to have a postgraduate degree. LOL!

"Americans with postgraduate education are most likely of all the educational groups to say humans evolved without God's guidance, and least likely to say God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years."
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Tis coincidence, and nothing more - or so science says. If you know whose on the phone before you answer it - if you experience a DeJa-Vu - if you follow an impuilse that proves beneficial - if you experience a premonition about someone that comes true - if something tells you not to board a plane that later crashes - rack it all up as coicidence.

Think of the millions of events like this that occur daily all over the world, and then think of all those brainwashed scientific schlubs who chose to ignore this widespread evidence of human extrasensory experience - experiences that shouldn't happen at all according to them.

Each precognition no matter how small is self-evident proof that the world has a meaning never found by Darwinian or Freudian thought - that the self has access to an inner system of communication and perception demonstated in the evidence of experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 24 min Richardfs 198
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Buck Crick 224,097
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Buck Crick 368
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 4 hr No-Doubt 270
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 6 hr DonPanic 21,384
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 16 hr Patrick 16
•••
•••