Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 3,199)

Showing posts 63,961 - 63,980 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Your question is irrelevant to mine I mean do you have A.D.D. Or something? But for laughs you answer my question that you keep cowering away from and I will answer your irrelevant off topic question, fair enough?
Now yet again. Why should anyone accept god as anything other than a product of someone's vivid imagination?
<quoted text>
Anything logical would be irrelevant to an ape-man. You have the IQ of lint. You prove it every time you post a comment. You'd be out of your depth in a parking lot puddle.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet another ridiculous assertion from the stupid gallery. Our existence is proof of no such thing! Every effect has a cause (principle of causality). Everything that begins has a cause except the big bang and Darwin's evolution. You would rather fall on a sword than admit that these scientific ideas are conspicuously flawed.
Not everything has a cause though. Effects and things are two different ... well things.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The lack of common sense in scientific research would explain why something can come from nothing and dead matter creates life.
So then why do you have a myth that states the same thing, only you don't present even a possible method of how it happens?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything logical would be irrelevant to an ape-man. You have the IQ of lint. You prove it every time you post a comment. You'd be out of your depth in a parking lot puddle.
In other words he "nailed it."

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Inability to answer a simple question we see the subject grow agitated and lash out with an ad hom attack.

Stop stalling. It's a simple question and if you are unable to answer that then there is no way you have the mental abilities to discuss more advanced subjects.

So yet again. Why should anyone accept god as anything more than the product of someone's vivid imagination?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
Aside from the fact that design in nature (specified complexity) necessitates a designer
Argumentum ad ignorantiam is a logical fallacy.

Furthermore:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specified_comple...
postscriptt wrote:
billions of people believe a god(s) exist.
Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Inability to answer a simple question we see the subject grow agitated and lash out with an ad hom attack.
Stop stalling. It's a simple question and if you are unable to answer that then there is no way you have the mental abilities to discuss more advanced subjects.
So yet again. Why should anyone accept god as anything more than the product of someone's vivid imagination?
<quoted text>
It wasn't an attack, it is my perception of you. When you can answer my question, I'll answer yours. Why would the idea of a god be any less worthy of consideration than science's big bang theory?
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Argumentum ad ignorantiam is a logical fallacy.
Furthermore:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specified_comple...
<quoted text>
Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.
The distinction made was one of relevance, not popularity. If a majority of people believe something and have for centuries, it can't be attributed to imagination alone.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't an attack, it is my perception of you. When you can answer my question, I'll answer yours. Why would the idea of a god be any less worthy of consideration than science's big bang theory?
Because no evidence suggests or even hints at a god.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The distinction made was one of relevance, not popularity. If a majority of people believe something and have for centuries, it can't be attributed to imagination alone.
Actually, it can be. The majority of people believed the Earth was flat for a very long time, it's not flat. The majority is also wrong more often than not, so basing anything on the majority is folly.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

The information that comes to us directly through dreams, impulses, hunches, intuition and the like -is organized differently from the information we receive through our physical senses.

You perceive physical events as happening in time, one following the other and thus when you recount your experiences, you automatically organize them in time sequences. You are so tied to the concept of time that it is difficult for you to grasp other types of organization. This why you think dreams and intuition are unreliable, and why you are more likely to disregard an impulse than notice it. Inner information is organized through emotional association - not according to time. When your "monitor of prosaic logic" is turned off while in dreams or other altered states of consciousness - emotional associations are allowed to flow freely adding valuable input to your waking experience. But whether or not you use that information depends on the degree of your parochialism.

You can't trust you physical senses alone to give you an accurate picture of reality. They can be consumate liars. You can hardly grow into your full potential if you believe that you are a creature bound by the physical limitations of time and space, mindlessly following a path to extinction.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
The information that comes to us directly through dreams, impulses, hunches, intuition and the like -is organized differently from the information we receive through our physical senses.
You perceive physical events as happening in time, one following the other and thus when you recount your experiences, you automatically organize them in time sequences. You are so tied to the concept of time that it is difficult for you to grasp other types of organization. This why you think dreams and intuition are unreliable, and why you are more likely to disregard an impulse than notice it. Inner information is organized through emotional association - not according to time. When your "monitor of prosaic logic" is turned off while in dreams or other altered states of consciousness - emotional associations are allowed to flow freely adding valuable input to your waking experience. But whether or not you use that information depends on the degree of your parochialism.
You can't trust you physical senses alone to give you an accurate picture of reality. They can be consumate liars. You can hardly grow into your full potential if you believe that you are a creature bound by the physical limitations of time and space, mindlessly following a path to extinction.
Where is the evidence suggesting any of this?
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the evidence suggesting any of this?
Within yourself. Learn to trust that evidence. Your earthbound assessments are not the limit of your reality.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it can be. The majority of people believed the Earth was flat for a very long time, it's not flat. The majority is also wrong more often than not, so basing anything on the majority is folly.
And yet a belief in god(s) persists despite science's theorizing and litany of changing facts.

The human psyche senses the existence of a greater non-physical reality. A belief in god(s) is a manifestation of this inner knowing and religions are attempts to objecify this knowledge.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Within yourself. Learn to trust that evidence. Your earthbound assessments are not the limit of your reality.
Trusting in fanciful wishing is delusion. I care not to share your mental instability. If what I present cannot be reproduced by others, I fully accept that it was a dream and nothing more. You cannot accept that, because you fear not knowing.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet a belief in god(s) persists despite science's theorizing and litany of changing facts.
The human psyche senses the existence of a greater non-physical reality. A belief in god(s) is a manifestation of this inner knowing and religions are attempts to objecify this knowledge.
150 years of science has given us the Moon, computers, clean water and food, longer lives ... religion has been indoctrinating people for thousands of years, you can't cure a social illness that's been around for thousands of years in only 150 years, it takes longer than that.

Despite religion's non-answers, woowoo, and believers, it has never once offered more than war.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Trusting in fanciful wishing is delusion. I care not to share your mental instability. If what I present cannot be reproduced by others, I fully accept that it was a dream and nothing more. You cannot accept that, because you fear not knowing.
You think trust is a delusion and yet you trust science to give you accurate answers. You are confused.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You think trust is a delusion and yet you trust science to give you accurate answers. You are confused.
Science hasn't failed to produce beneficial results yet. Religion has not succeeded in doing so. It's a fool who trusts that which does not deliver.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
150 years of science has given us the Moon, computers, clean water and food, longer lives ... religion has been indoctrinating people for thousands of years, you can't cure a social illness that's been around for thousands of years in only 150 years, it takes longer than that.
Despite religion's non-answers, woowoo, and believers, it has never once offered more than war.
How do trips to the moon and computers "cure social illness"? Science, instead of promoting peace and brotherly love - has gone along with religion's warring proclivities by producing unconscionable weapons of mass destruction.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
How do trips to the moon and computers "cure social illness"? Science, instead of promoting peace and brotherly love - has gone along with religion's warring proclivities by producing unconscionable weapons of mass destruction.
Since the advent of the internet, and a serious increase of sales in violent video games, we have seen a steady decline in criminal activity in the US, with the fastest decline in all of recorded history occurring between 1980 and 1990.

Medicine has enabled us to live not only longer but also comfortably.

Since the multiculturalism caused by the massive communications network world wide we have seen a huge decline in wars, this is literally an era with the least number of wars in all known history.

We can get clean water and food, and not have to worry as much if it will kill us. If it does contain something that winds up making us ill we can take a quick trip to the hospital and get it taken care of relatively painless to what it was like 50 years ago.

Better question: What hasn't scientific advancement done to help improve our species?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 63,961 - 63,980 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 18 min MUQ1 21,327
Why do i deserve no respect. 52 min Carchar king 1
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Carchar king 19
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Lab28 222,983
Introducing The Universal Religion 11 hr NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 hr ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 20 hr Buck Crick 324
•••
•••