Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66908 Jan 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Their numbers would skyrocket amongst young goth kids if they would embrace their zombie vampire side. It seems like a good marketing strategy.
<quoted text>
No way, goth is about "not conforming" and an organized religion is the ultimate in conformity. Now way they'd recruit true goths.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#66909 Jan 11, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning!
The Bible, New Revised Standard, may be the best, is contradictory. Handed down in oral tradition for a century or more?
Historical research is frustrating, so much in lost.
Life may be frustrating for secularists in the US. The country is religious and prayer in school may be in place in rural areas.
-
Are most atheists actually agnostics?
How can one know that God does not exist?
Peace!
Since there is no evidence god exists, why even consider the possibility that he does?
Lincoln

United States

#66910 Jan 11, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Any particular claim can be verified, if there is evidence then the evidence can be tested, if there is no evidence it is safe, and sane, to assume it is nothing but mythology.
Grad student in history NYU.
Use evidence for World War II research.
Your opinions noted and respected.
You seem one of the best on the thread

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#66911 Jan 11, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing is "self evident," as I pointed out to you. That is just a cop-out, an excuse, a way to tell anyone who disagrees with you, in spite of them having all the actual evidence supporting their assertions, that they are wrong, and only idiots, I mean die hard, total buffoons, think that can actually serve as evidence for anything.
Imagine if a physicist said that quantum theory is self evident. Or if electricity was just called "self evident?" We'd never have computers.
Exactly. They cannot prove their claims so they would rather just cite themselves as proof of those claims.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#66912 Jan 12, 2013
What if we made Ozzy the Pope?:)
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No way, goth is about "not conforming" and an organized religion is the ultimate in conformity. Now way they'd recruit true goths.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66913 Jan 12, 2013
And make him chief rabbi too.
No more "shalom", lots more "SHARON????!!!!"
Givemeliberty wrote:
What if we made Ozzy the Pope?:)
<quoted text>
Lincoln

United States

#66914 Jan 12, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. They cannot prove their claims so they would rather just cite themselves as proof of those claims.
Greater the claim
the greater the evidence nede.

Do you feel the US will ever become a secular nation?
Lincoln

United States

#66915 Jan 12, 2013
Greater the claim
the greater the evidence neded.
-

Lexington, KY

#66916 Jan 12, 2013
And crazy train would be the hymn :)
Thinking wrote:
And make him chief rabbi too.
No more "shalom", lots more "SHARON????!!!!"
<quoted text>

Lexington, KY

#66917 Jan 12, 2013
Which is why we need extraordinary evidence for the extraordinary claim of god.

Want to discuss the US going secular over a stack of foreclosed church deeds?:) They are closing at an all time high rate and are dirt cheap :)
Lincoln wrote:
Greater the claim
the greater the evidence neded.
-
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66918 Jan 12, 2013
Not a role model though. Sharon used to come into our local florists with very large sunglasses to cover her bruises.:(
Givemeliberty wrote:
And crazy train would be the hymn :)
<quoted text>
Lincoln

United States

#66919 Jan 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Which is why we need extraordinary evidence for the extraordinary claim of God.
Want to discuss the US going secular over a stack of foreclosed church deeds?:) They are closing at an all time high rate and are dirt cheap :)
<quoted text>
Easter Holiday approaching with all US Public School closing for a week to observe this.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66920 Jan 12, 2013
I like easter because in the UK we get the Friday and Monday off work but won't be going near a church. In fact very few in the UK go to church but we still get the two days off. Result!
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter Holiday approaching with all US Public School closing for a week to observe this.
Lincoln

United States

#66921 Jan 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I like easter because in the UK we get the Friday and Monday off work but won't be going near a church. In fact very few in the UK go to church but we still get the two days off. Result!
<quoted text>
UK belief in God much lower than in the US

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#66922 Jan 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Greater the claim
the greater the evidence nede.
It was a secular nation. The Christian right in this country would like to make it a theocratic oligarchy.

Some other modern secular nations would include Sweden, Denmark, Japan, etc. Modern secular nations routinely score better on livability indicators such as low felony rates, low teenage pregnancy, high math & sciences graduates, etc. The U.S. isn't one of these.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66923 Jan 12, 2013
I know, we have so much to be thankful for.

We also get Dec 26th off work as well as the two easter days.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
UK belief in God much lower than in the US
John

United States

#66924 Jan 12, 2013
Well, you loons did not disappoint. You, once again did not provide one accountable position of belief you were willing to debate. You failed to produce one iota of evidence that meets your requirements. You have nothing but ridiculous assertions even questioning Jesus as a historical figure. Your bigotry has diseased your brains. I will stay on point as always. Your fishing expeditions are merely ways to steer the narrative from your nothing. I asked a simple question. When you cowards are ready we can debate all your ridiculous ideas.

I think I caught an attempt at machismo in one of your posts liberty. I don't really read them all, but I do skim looking for an accountable position that is never there. Thanks for the chuckle though. Liberal atheists are such cowards.
Lincoln

United States

#66925 Jan 12, 2013
John wrote:
Well, you loons did not disappoint. You, once again did not provide one accountable position of belief you were willing to debate. You failed to produce one iota of evidence that meets your requirements. You have nothing but ridiculous assertions even questioning Jesus as a historical figure. Your bigotry has diseased your brains. I will stay on point as always. Your fishing expeditions are merely ways to steer the narrative from your nothing. I asked a simple question. When you cowards are ready we can debate all your ridiculous ideas.
I think I caught an attempt at machismo in one of your posts liberty. I don't really read them all, but I do skim looking for an accountable position that is never there. Thanks for the chuckle though. Liberal atheists are such cowards.
You tend to use "I" a great deal.

"I think I caught..."

"I do skim..."

"I asked a..... "

You seem a bit self important?
Atheists may be bored with you?
Lincoln

United States

#66926 Jan 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I know, we have so much to be thankful for.
We also get Dec 26th off work as well as the two easter days.
<quoted text>
Your taxes support Lords and Ladies, Dukes and other titled nonentities.

Established Church?

UK provides PBS with excellent programs
John

United States

#66927 Jan 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
You tend to use "I" a great deal.
"I think I caught..."
"I do skim..."
"I asked a..... "
You seem a bit self important?
Atheists may be bored with you?
No, they are just stumped bigots. I notice you have nothing as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Chimney1 19,790
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 49 min ChristineM 243,396
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 9,402
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 1 hr thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... 17 hr Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web