Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 3,194)

Showing posts 63,861 - 63,880 of70,904
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
http://www.badscience.net/
I recommend reading Bad Science, by Ben Goldacre.
(It probably won't help the superstitious, but its cogent and a good read)
The cool thing about bad science is that it highlights that fact that scientists are great at admitting when something isn't right or doesn't add up, factually or experimentally.

If only the same could be said for lying creationists...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
How can anyone have a civilised discussion with you?
You just admitted that you believe that rocks can talk....!
Go back to your creationist cave troll, save the big words for the smart people.
Ditto, lame brain. Should postscript need your opinion, he should consult with your pet rock.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Everytime you post a piece of creationist propoganda here, I will buy ten copies of the god delusion to distribute to hotels around the world.
You would be wasting your time. The title the God Delusion says it all. In a hotel, a book written by a religious bigot would be used as toilet paper.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The cool thing about bad science is that it highlights that fact that scientists are great at admitting when something isn't right or doesn't add up, factually or experimentally.
If only the same could be said for lying creationists...
Science has the morality of lint and so do you. I'd suggest you and your superhero do some soul searching if you had souls.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Awareness is the universal property of "all" matter, and that includes rocks. Just because the existence of consciousness in all things is beyond your level of comprehension, or can't be tested using the scientific method, doesn't mean it is not true.
If you consider a rock to be aware or conscious, then you are using *very* different definitions of the words 'aware' and 'conscious' than everybody else.
Scientists assume that consciousness "requires" a complex brain.
Using the *usual* definition of consciousness, a very complex system of inputs and responses is required. This is, as far as we have seen so far, limited to brains. it is possible CPUs will get to consciousness at some point, but not yet.
They use this assumption to formulate other assumptions, which are then presented as scientific factoids (something resembling a fact, but not verified). They reason that in humans at least, consciousness must be located somewhere in the central cortex of the brain. One would think that if huge portions of the cerebral cortex were missing, awareness would likewise be missing, but predictably when one deals in assumptions - one is wrong more often than not.
Actually, if certain pieces of the brain stem are missing, so is consciousness. In fact, if these areas are simply suppressed, you will lose consciousness. That is one way anesthetics work.
"Some hydranencephalic children - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydranencephaly - give every appearance of genuine consciousness, or awareness. They respond to people and things in their environment. When someone calls, they perk up. The children smile, laugh and cry. They know the difference between familiar people and strangers. They move themselves towards objects they desire. And they prefer some kinds of music over others. If some children with hydranencephaly are conscious, then the brain does not require an intact cerebral cortex to produce consciousness."
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwave...
Yes, this type of awareness is located in the brain stem, not in the cortex.
Research findings regarding other creatures challenge the scientific assumption that only complex brains are capable of possessing consciousness. Octopuses for example,- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus - are classified within the invertebrates in the mollusk family - and many mollusks, like clams, have no brain. Birds have more complex brains than an octopus yet these boneless, so-called mindless critters exhibit not only intelligence, but emotion and individual personalities. They can unscrew jar lids - they are escape artists finding clever ways to get out of aquariums - they can be trained to distinguish between different shapes and patterns - all examples of awarenss not dependent upon a complex brain. So much for scientific factoids, eh?
Once again, a distortion of what the actual science says. Octopi actually have fairly developed brains for invertebrates. And yes, many birds are more intelligent than octopi.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto, lame brain. Should postscript need your opinion, he should consult with your pet rock.
oh really are you his agent? Do you talk to rocks too, or just represent them professionally?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling anti-vaccination sentiment a conspiracy theory, only works as long as your child is not a victim.
I don't know where you are getting your information, but the majority of pharmacies in America are privately owned and operated by americans. If the U.S. government can impose criminal repercussions for activities on foreign soil that violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) such as the bill H.R. 313, the "Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2011, it can do so with legal drugs sold overseas via black market distribution networks involving well known American companies like Walgreens and CVS pharmacies.
You swallowed the entire tackle box.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
How can anyone have a civilised discussion with you?
You just admitted that you believe that rocks can talk....!
Go back to your creationist cave troll, save the big words for the smart people.
I said rocks are aware - I didn't say they could talk. If you want to engage in meaningful discussion, you will have to learn how to comprehend what you read.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be wasting your time. The title the God Delusion says it all. In a hotel, a book written by a religious bigot would be used as toilet paper.
ZING! Dawkins wrote, "I do not, by nature, thrive on confrontation. I don't think the adversarial format is well designed to get at the truth " And yet, Dawkin's entire book is one long rant against Christianity. The man would do well to practice what he preaches.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider a rock to be aware or conscious, then you are using *very* different definitions of the words 'aware' and 'conscious' than everybody else.
As stated previously, consciousness is "awareized" energy existing in all matter. There is conscious and nonconscious information. The physical senses are rudimentary extentions of the inner senses. In the physical realm, one must be awake to "express" conscious information. The inner senses are pathways to an inner reality, or nonconscious information. To access this reality, one need not be conscious, or awake.

A rock, like a comatose patient cannot verbalize its awareness in the usual sense, but this does not mean that it is not aware of itself and its surroundings just as a coma does not mean that nothing is perceived. Rocks as molecular structures send out their own expressions of awareized energy, and unless you are tuned in to perceive them, you may interpret these expressions as static or meaningless noise.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, if certain pieces of the brain stem are missing, so is consciousness. In fact, if these areas are simply suppressed, you will lose consciousness. That is one way anesthetics work.
We don't "lose" consciousness. It is always there - it simply can't express through an anesthesized unresponsive brain.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, this type of awareness is located in the brain stem, not in the cortex.
Neuroscientists would take issue with this statement.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/2484...
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Once again, a distortion of what the actual science says. Octopi actually have fairly developed brains for invertebrates. And yes, many birds are more intelligent than octopi.
Actually to be aware doesn't require a brain at all. Jellyfish have no brain or central nervous system yet the ability to change position or direction while swimming requires an awareness of their environment to avoid running into things willy nilly.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You swallowed the entire tackle box.
Your evidence is at best ambiguous - your logic, sketchy. But then, what else is new? Flat statements with no basis in knowledge, is your forte.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I said rocks are aware - I didn't say they could talk. If you want to engage in meaningful discussion, you will have to learn how to comprehend what you read.
meaningful discussion starts with you, a known creationist liar, first proving your god.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
ZING! Dawkins wrote, "I do not, by nature, thrive on confrontation. I don't think the adversarial format is well designed to get at the truth " And yet, Dawkin's entire book is one long rant against Christianity. The man would do well to practice what he preaches.
He has other books. But so? He addresses the majority of fallacies he encounters, they just happen to be mostly christian. If you'd stop using fallacies, he'd have to find a new topic, no?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Your evidence is at best ambiguous - your logic, sketchy. But then, what else is new? Flat statements with no basis in knowledge, is your forte.
Actually, I posted an ad hom. It's accuracy is debatable, but you have provided evidence to support it.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
meaningful discussion starts with you, a known creationist liar, first proving your god.
And ends with you - a religious bigot. Religions can at least shun or excommunicate the dregs it attracts, but atheists don't have that luxury. They have to endure brain dead bigoted morons like you who attach themselves to the cause like ticks to a host.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I posted an ad hom. It's accuracy is debatable, but you have provided evidence to support it.
Was it your own post or somebody else's?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He has other books. But so? He addresses the majority of fallacies he encounters, they just happen to be mostly christian. If you'd stop using fallacies, he'd have to find a new topic, no?
Like a carcinoma just happens to be malignant? LOL!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it your own post or somebody else's?
Actually, it was your posts, most of them.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Like a carcinoma just happens to be malignant? LOL!
It does, can you provide evidence otherwise?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It does, can you provide evidence otherwise?
non sequitur

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 63,861 - 63,880 of70,904
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••