Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#66565 Jan 2, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto, lame brain. Should postscript need your opinion, he should consult with your pet rock.
oh really are you his agent? Do you talk to rocks too, or just represent them professionally?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66566 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling anti-vaccination sentiment a conspiracy theory, only works as long as your child is not a victim.
I don't know where you are getting your information, but the majority of pharmacies in America are privately owned and operated by americans. If the U.S. government can impose criminal repercussions for activities on foreign soil that violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) such as the bill H.R. 313, the "Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2011, it can do so with legal drugs sold overseas via black market distribution networks involving well known American companies like Walgreens and CVS pharmacies.
You swallowed the entire tackle box.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66567 Jan 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
How can anyone have a civilised discussion with you?
You just admitted that you believe that rocks can talk....!
Go back to your creationist cave troll, save the big words for the smart people.
I said rocks are aware - I didn't say they could talk. If you want to engage in meaningful discussion, you will have to learn how to comprehend what you read.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66568 Jan 2, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be wasting your time. The title the God Delusion says it all. In a hotel, a book written by a religious bigot would be used as toilet paper.
ZING! Dawkins wrote, "I do not, by nature, thrive on confrontation. I don't think the adversarial format is well designed to get at the truth " And yet, Dawkin's entire book is one long rant against Christianity. The man would do well to practice what he preaches.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66569 Jan 2, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider a rock to be aware or conscious, then you are using *very* different definitions of the words 'aware' and 'conscious' than everybody else.
As stated previously, consciousness is "awareized" energy existing in all matter. There is conscious and nonconscious information. The physical senses are rudimentary extentions of the inner senses. In the physical realm, one must be awake to "express" conscious information. The inner senses are pathways to an inner reality, or nonconscious information. To access this reality, one need not be conscious, or awake.

A rock, like a comatose patient cannot verbalize its awareness in the usual sense, but this does not mean that it is not aware of itself and its surroundings just as a coma does not mean that nothing is perceived. Rocks as molecular structures send out their own expressions of awareized energy, and unless you are tuned in to perceive them, you may interpret these expressions as static or meaningless noise.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, if certain pieces of the brain stem are missing, so is consciousness. In fact, if these areas are simply suppressed, you will lose consciousness. That is one way anesthetics work.
We don't "lose" consciousness. It is always there - it simply can't express through an anesthesized unresponsive brain.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, this type of awareness is located in the brain stem, not in the cortex.
Neuroscientists would take issue with this statement.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/2484...
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Once again, a distortion of what the actual science says. Octopi actually have fairly developed brains for invertebrates. And yes, many birds are more intelligent than octopi.
Actually to be aware doesn't require a brain at all. Jellyfish have no brain or central nervous system yet the ability to change position or direction while swimming requires an awareness of their environment to avoid running into things willy nilly.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66570 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You swallowed the entire tackle box.
Your evidence is at best ambiguous - your logic, sketchy. But then, what else is new? Flat statements with no basis in knowledge, is your forte.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#66571 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I said rocks are aware - I didn't say they could talk. If you want to engage in meaningful discussion, you will have to learn how to comprehend what you read.
meaningful discussion starts with you, a known creationist liar, first proving your god.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66572 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
ZING! Dawkins wrote, "I do not, by nature, thrive on confrontation. I don't think the adversarial format is well designed to get at the truth " And yet, Dawkin's entire book is one long rant against Christianity. The man would do well to practice what he preaches.
He has other books. But so? He addresses the majority of fallacies he encounters, they just happen to be mostly christian. If you'd stop using fallacies, he'd have to find a new topic, no?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66573 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Your evidence is at best ambiguous - your logic, sketchy. But then, what else is new? Flat statements with no basis in knowledge, is your forte.
Actually, I posted an ad hom. It's accuracy is debatable, but you have provided evidence to support it.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66574 Jan 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
meaningful discussion starts with you, a known creationist liar, first proving your god.
And ends with you - a religious bigot. Religions can at least shun or excommunicate the dregs it attracts, but atheists don't have that luxury. They have to endure brain dead bigoted morons like you who attach themselves to the cause like ticks to a host.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66575 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I posted an ad hom. It's accuracy is debatable, but you have provided evidence to support it.
Was it your own post or somebody else's?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66576 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He has other books. But so? He addresses the majority of fallacies he encounters, they just happen to be mostly christian. If you'd stop using fallacies, he'd have to find a new topic, no?
Like a carcinoma just happens to be malignant? LOL!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66577 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it your own post or somebody else's?
Actually, it was your posts, most of them.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66578 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Like a carcinoma just happens to be malignant? LOL!
It does, can you provide evidence otherwise?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66579 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It does, can you provide evidence otherwise?
non sequitur

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66580 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
non sequitur
Thank you for admitting your point was invalid.

“Proud To Be An American”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#66581 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for admitting your point was invalid.
Attention PussyKoder!!! At an atheist funeral the deceased is all dressed up and going nowhere.
BTW, Since you boasted about your ability to borrow money perhaps you can start a business and tell everyone how things go for you under an obamanation especially at tax time...Hop to it.

“Proud To Be An American”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#66582 Jan 2, 2013
Yepper 77% of Americans no matter how much you earn will pay more taxes for 2013. The idea you were safe if you were not an evil millionaire was the sugar on the poop you consumed...you stupid sht eating bassturds.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66583 Jan 2, 2013
JohnInLa wrote:
<quoted text>Attention PussyKoder!!! At an atheist funeral the deceased is all dressed up and going nowhere.
BTW, Since you boasted about your ability to borrow money perhaps you can start a business and tell everyone how things go for you under an obamanation especially at tax time...Hop to it.
Well, since it's just a corpse at that stage, it's sort of difficult for it to ambulate, unless it's a zombie.

Oh hey! You worship zombies, don't you? Yeah, he wasn't even dressed up, he was just a zombie.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#66584 Jan 2, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated previously, consciousness is "awareized" energy existing in all matter.
Whatever *that* means. I have a suspicion that your understanding of energy is at the Star trek level.
There is conscious and nonconscious information. The physical senses are rudimentary extentions of the inner senses.
Inner senses, eh? And what, precisely, are those?
In the physical realm, one must be awake to "express" conscious information. The inner senses are pathways to an inner reality, or nonconscious information. To access this reality, one need not be conscious, or awake.
Nice fantasy you have there.
A rock, like a comatose patient cannot verbalize its awareness in the usual sense, but this does not mean that it is not aware of itself and its surroundings just as a coma does not mean that nothing is perceived.
Rocks have nothing to perceive with. They are simply chemicals in well-defined structures that don't react to their environment significantly.
Rocks as molecular structures send out their own expressions of awareized energy, and unless you are tuned in to perceive them, you may interpret these expressions as static or meaningless noise.
Or nothing at all. So, what exactly would be something 'tuned' to detect these 'awareized energies'? Let's make a device that detects them and measures them and we can bring all of this into the realm of science. Otherwise, all you have is some fantasies.
We don't "lose" consciousness. It is always there - it simply can't express through an anesthesized unresponsive brain.
The evidence says otherwise (depending, of course, on the type of anesthesia).
Neuroscientists would take issue with this statement.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/2484...
Yes, what we usually call consciousness is a complex collection of interactions at all brain levels. Basic awareness is different than consciousness.
Actually to be aware doesn't require a brain at all. Jellyfish have no brain or central nervous system yet the ability to change position or direction while swimming requires an awareness of their environment to avoid running into things willy nilly.
Jellyfish have nervous systems that react to stimuli. Their neural nets are very simplistic and don't allow for 'awareness' or, certainly, consciousness. The reaction is much closer to what we have as reflexes, but even more primitive. Reflexes are not consciousness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min KiMare 233,187
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr One way or another 5,955
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr JOEL 23,278
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr _Bad Company 214
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr thetruth 2,624
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 1 hr thetruth 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr thetruth 177
More from around the web