Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 3,192)

Showing posts 63,821 - 63,840 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not, but neither do animals kill wantonly and mechanically if that is your implication.
No, that is the assertion creationists make. I am pointing out that social animals tend to form alliances, friendships are what we call them, even cross species. There are some that are not like that, but very few, all it proves is that we aren't that different from the other animals alive today.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Much like science does, eh?
No, science contributes to understanding of the universe, then journalists create catchy headlines to draw in readers, you're suppose to read it all.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, science contributes to understanding of the universe, then journalists create catchy headlines to draw in readers, you're suppose to read it all.
Like explaining how something comes from nothing?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is the assertion creationists make. I am pointing out that social animals tend to form alliances, friendships are what we call them, even cross species. There are some that are not like that, but very few, all it proves is that we aren't that different from the other animals alive today.
Yes, it is called cooperation and cooperation requires awareness.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Like explaining how something comes from nothing?
Physics has, that's why the singularity idea is being looked at more seriously now. So I fail to see your point. You say something came from nothing, you just changed what that something is.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is called cooperation and cooperation requires awareness.
Yes, but rocks don't cooperate, they certainly don't care about who or what they squish, and they don't move on their own.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

How are rocks "aware"?
postscriptt wrote:
Not unlike the way you do. They perceive their own surroundings according to their degree - changing, reacting to natural forces both internal and external.
Rocks have no change or reaction to natural forces beyond that required by basic chemistry and physics. When the concept of awareness is stretched to include nothing more than chemical and physical properties, it loses all useful meaning.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but rocks don't cooperate, they certainly don't care about who or what they squish, and they don't move on their own.
You are superimposing your "human" perception of reality on a rock's reality. You are obviously not a rock, how could you know how they perceive reality?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You are superimposing your "human" perception of reality on a rock's reality. You are obviously not a rock, how could you know how they perceive reality?
No, see above post by Drew.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
How are rocks "aware"?
<quoted text>
Rocks have no change or reaction to natural forces beyond that required by basic chemistry and physics. When the concept of awareness is stretched to include nothing more than chemical and physical properties, it loses all useful meaning.
This is what it means to you as a human, but not a rock. Example, we perceive air as gaseous and breathable, but to a tree it could be as thick as pudding - a perception necessary to support its heavy branches.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
You are obviously not a rock, how could you know how they perceive reality?
You are obviously not a rock, how could you know that they perceive it at all?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, he's as dense as one.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
My five senses tell me a rock is an object, but they can't tell me if it is aware.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Still no evidence from the atheists using the criteria they hold others accountable to. Let's start another year of your collective dishonesty and bigotry.

They have 63,000 posts just to reiterate no claim. There isn't an agenda here though LOL. Well, if you believe in that you will probably believe in the ridiculousness of something from nothing.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
My five senses tell me a rock is an object, but they can't tell me if it is aware.
Then how do we know that rocks are aware? Merely that they are physical objects that react to chemistry and physics?

We already have a concept for that. It's called "existence".
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Then how do we know that rocks are aware? Merely that they are physical objects that react to chemistry and physics?
We already have a concept for that. It's called "existence".
Like your five senses, science can never tell you if a rock is aware since its focus is exclusively physical. The only way to know for certain is to rely on your inner senses - your ability to merge your consciousness with that of a rock - to "feel" its reality, otherwise you are confined to speculating endlessly about the awareness of matter or lack thereof based on physical preconceptions entirely.

We live, create, respond, feel, think, dream and do it without trying. From the materialist's point of view, it's all done for us. But where does the information come from that makes these things so effortlessly possible? In order to avoid getting hit by a truck for example, we must be able to react quickly. The inner mechanisms that make such reactions possible are based upon calculations that are not consciously available - do not reside in the brain. If they were, we would never be able to react promptly if we had to stop and consciously work all the muscles involved in motion before we could move. People certainly couldn't communicate if they had to be aware of all the mechanisms involved and manipulate them before a bystander could even utter the words, "Look out!". This information has a source and that source is consciousness which exists independent of the brain and which as awareized energy exists in all matter.

When science decided to concentrate its investigations on objective issues and provable hypothesis only, relying on the physical senses and later, their extensions through instruments, it ended up with a very limited picture of reality. Scientists can categorize things such as types of flowers - give them names - rip them apart petal by petal so that nothing "physical" escapes examination, but by practicing such exclusivity, it loses sight of the fact that some knowledge forever escapes fact's categories - knowledge just as valid and just as demonstrable of nature's true significance reflected in man's subjective experiences - his inner reality.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
Like your five senses, science can never tell you if a rock is aware since its focus is exclusively physical. The only way to know for certain is to rely on your inner senses - your ability to merge your consciousness with that of a rock - to "feel" its reality
In other words, it's all a lot of New Age "woo".

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, it's all a lot of New Age "woo".
New Age woowoo, not the same as the Old Aged woowoo, but still chalked full of nuts.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age woowoo, not the same as the Old Aged woowoo, but still chalked full of nuts.
Science prides itself on separating fact from religious fancy. Instead of delusions, it has given the world a practical picture of reality - a rational picture that has freed the human intellect from the leaden grip of magical myths.

In place of ancient fictions about beginnings, science says the universe was formed by chance from nothing. That dead matter gave rise to a rich and diverse range of mechanized biological forms, and the golden rule of life is survival of the fittest. Instead of fables about immortality, it tells us that one life is all we have; that life being the only game going in all of infinity. It's a game of no particular significance or value however since science tells us that the universe is slowly running down, its energy being dissipated and the whole works gradually disintegrating into chaos.

Science tells us that the human body is a machine with consciousness trapped inside and emotional truths just hallucinations - the result of erratic activity of neurons or chemicals. It says that illness comes from outside sources, from viruses and bacteria that cause our bodily mechanical parts to break down. By simply giving our machines an oil treatment (drugs) or some better parts - all is well in science's land-o-facts.

You have your woo, I have mine. The question is: Whose woo makes more sense?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Science prides itself on separating fact from religious fancy. Instead of delusions, it has given the world a practical picture of reality - a rational picture that has freed the human intellect from the leaden grip of magical myths.
In place of ancient fictions about beginnings, science says the universe was formed by chance from nothing. That dead matter gave rise to a rich and diverse range of mechanized biological forms, and the golden rule of life is survival of the fittest. Instead of fables about immortality, it tells us that one life is all we have; that life being the only game going in all of infinity. It's a game of no particular significance or value however since science tells us that the universe is slowly running down, its energy being dissipated and the whole works gradually disintegrating into chaos.
Science tells us that the human body is a machine with consciousness trapped inside and emotional truths just hallucinations - the result of erratic activity of neurons or chemicals. It says that illness comes from outside sources, from viruses and bacteria that cause our bodily mechanical parts to break down. By simply giving our machines an oil treatment (drugs) or some better parts - all is well in science's land-o-facts.
You have your woo, I have mine. The question is: Whose woo makes more sense?
Wow, you didn't just swallow the myth, you swallowed the entire collection. You think viruses don't cause illness? You think medicine doesn't help? I hope you never have children, such ignorance leads to child abuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 63,821 - 63,840 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••