Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
63,801 - 63,820 of 70,985 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 5

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
None of those links support "something from nothing".
You have weird beliefs.
So ... you didn't read any of them. I found them fascinating myself, why don't you read them?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you didn't read any of them. I found them fascinating myself, why don't you read them?
I have read them.

They fail to support Polymouth's claim.

But sufficient to fascinate you, I'm sure.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read them.
They fail to support Polymouth's claim.
But sufficient to fascinate you, I'm sure.
Really? How so?

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Do remember to thank your god for making childhood leukaemia.
LucindaW wrote:
John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
honest atheist

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
And thank him for sharks,aligators,lions,tornado s,tidal waves,volcanos,the plague,the kardasians,and hiltons.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

honest atheist wrote:
<quoted text> And thank him for sharks,aligators,lions,tornado s,tidal waves,volcanos,the plague,the kardasians,and hiltons.
Gah, the Kardashians .... if there is a god, he's one sadistic twit.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

John wrote:
You loons scream for evidence
Translation: John doesn't have any evidence for his claim.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

John wrote:
My claim is simply a response to your agenda based attempts to marginalize believers.
By your behavior in this thread, you marginalize yourself.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... rocks are aware?
Awareness is the universal property of "all" matter, and that includes rocks. Just because the existence of consciousness in all things is beyond your level of comprehension, or can't be tested using the scientific method, doesn't mean it is not true. Scientists assume that consciousness "requires" a complex brain. They use this assumption to formulate other assumptions, which are then presented as scientific factoids (something resembling a fact, but not verified). They reason that in humans at least, consciousness must be located somewhere in the central cortex of the brain. One would think that if huge portions of the cerebral cortex were missing, awareness would likewise be missing, but predictably when one deals in assumptions - one is wrong more often than not.

"Some hydranencephalic children - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydranencephaly - give every appearance of genuine consciousness, or awareness. They respond to people and things in their environment. When someone calls, they perk up. The children smile, laugh and cry. They know the difference between familiar people and strangers. They move themselves towards objects they desire. And they prefer some kinds of music over others. If some children with hydranencephaly are conscious, then the brain does not require an intact cerebral cortex to produce consciousness."

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwave...

Research findings regarding other creatures challenge the scientific assumption that only complex brains are capable of possessing consciousness. Octopuses for example,- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus - are classified within the invertebrates in the mollusk family - and many mollusks, like clams, have no brain. Birds have more complex brains than an octopus yet these boneless, so-called mindless critters exhibit not only intelligence, but emotion and individual personalities. They can unscrew jar lids - they are escape artists finding clever ways to get out of aquariums - they can be trained to distinguish between different shapes and patterns - all examples of awarenss not dependent upon a complex brain. So much for scientific factoids, eh?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you expecting utopia here on earth - a garden of Eden perhaps? The story of Adam and Eve is symbolic of the emergence of the ego "I". When man separated himself from nature, he separated himself from his own inner knowledge which includes natural healing among other abilities.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

honest atheist wrote:
<quoted text> And thank him for sharks,aligators,lions,tornado s,tidal waves,volcanos,the plague,the kardasians,and hiltons.
Lions and tigers and bears - oh, my! For years, Jane Godall and Dian Fossey sat in the middle of chimpanzees and apes capable of tearing humans limb from limb and were never harmed. If you read the works of these women, you will find that they practiced a deep and abiding respect for nature.

As long as man's irresponsible gluttonous habits and insistence on engaging in a mindless global breeding spree push other living things to the edge of their natural habitats - to the edge of extinction in some cases - humans will pay the price. Tsunamis, tornados, and volcanos are natural events. As long as humans build on flood plains, live along coast lines, in tornado alleys, near volcanos - they will pay the price. Blaming a god, or even a devil for our own choices is a cop-out. The Kardashians? A fine example of our human proclivity to find something redeeming in sciolism.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
Awareness is the universal property of "all" matter, and that includes rocks.
How are rocks "aware"?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Awareness is the universal property of "all" matter, and that includes rocks. Just because the existence of consciousness in all things is beyond your level of comprehension, or can't be tested using the scientific method, doesn't mean it is not true. Scientists assume that consciousness "requires" a complex brain. They use this assumption to formulate other assumptions, which are then presented as scientific factoids (something resembling a fact, but not verified). They reason that in humans at least, consciousness must be located somewhere in the central cortex of the brain. One would think that if huge portions of the cerebral cortex were missing, awareness would likewise be missing, but predictably when one deals in assumptions - one is wrong more often than not.
"Some hydranencephalic children - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydranencephaly - give every appearance of genuine consciousness, or awareness. They respond to people and things in their environment. When someone calls, they perk up. The children smile, laugh and cry. They know the difference between familiar people and strangers. They move themselves towards objects they desire. And they prefer some kinds of music over others. If some children with hydranencephaly are conscious, then the brain does not require an intact cerebral cortex to produce consciousness."
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwave...
Research findings regarding other creatures challenge the scientific assumption that only complex brains are capable of possessing consciousness. Octopuses for example,- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus - are classified within the invertebrates in the mollusk family - and many mollusks, like clams, have no brain. Birds have more complex brains than an octopus yet these boneless, so-called mindless critters exhibit not only intelligence, but emotion and individual personalities. They can unscrew jar lids - they are escape artists finding clever ways to get out of aquariums - they can be trained to distinguish between different shapes and patterns - all examples of awarenss not dependent upon a complex brain. So much for scientific factoids, eh?
So ... you're reading headlines and running with them into something that has zero evidence suggesting it.

You are just making it up as you go.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Lions and tigers and bears - oh, my! For years, Jane Godall and Dian Fossey sat in the middle of chimpanzees and apes capable of tearing humans limb from limb and were never harmed. If you read the works of these women, you will find that they practiced a deep and abiding respect for nature.
As long as man's irresponsible gluttonous habits and insistence on engaging in a mindless global breeding spree push other living things to the edge of their natural habitats - to the edge of extinction in some cases - humans will pay the price. Tsunamis, tornados, and volcanos are natural events. As long as humans build on flood plains, live along coast lines, in tornado alleys, near volcanos - they will pay the price. Blaming a god, or even a devil for our own choices is a cop-out. The Kardashians? A fine example of our human proclivity to find something redeeming in sciolism.
You're capable of killing cats, do you do it everytime there's one around you?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
How are rocks "aware"?
Not unlike the way you do. They perceive their own surroundings according to their degree - changing, reacting to natural forces both internal and external.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You're capable of killing cats, do you do it everytime there's one around you?
Of course not, but neither do animals kill wantonly and mechanically if that is your implication.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you're reading headlines and running with them into something that has zero evidence suggesting it.
You are just making it up as you go.
Much like science does, eh?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not, but neither do animals kill wantonly and mechanically if that is your implication.
No, that is the assertion creationists make. I am pointing out that social animals tend to form alliances, friendships are what we call them, even cross species. There are some that are not like that, but very few, all it proves is that we aren't that different from the other animals alive today.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••