Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Since: Jan 13

Largo, FL

#66798 Jan 7, 2013
John wrote:
There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle thought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 64,100 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
Your say, "Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof." Any first year college student knows that it is not necessary to prove a negative. You say that God exists. I say that God does not exist. The burden of proof is on you, not me. I really don't care if you have been deluded into believing in Old and New Testament fairy tales. I don't see any reason to prove that God doesn't exist, any more than I feel obligated to prove that Santa Clause doesn't exist. But if you want me to believe in God, YOU have to prove it.
You also say, "That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons." How ironic that you view people who don't believe in God "loons". Only in your world is a person a "loon" because he doesn't belive in an invisible man in the sky.
But my favorite offering from you is this little tidbit of foolishness and self-contradiction: "Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom. Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!" You complain about "ad hominem" attacks then type "Cowards!" LOL. What exactly is so "cowardly" about being an atheist?
Here is the bottom line, Ace. You believe in an invisible super-hero. And you are angry that some of us are not big enough suckers to share your belief. I suspect that the reason your post is so verbose is that you think that by piling up enough words, you can obscure the fact that, far from being a "rational freethinker", your are a superstitious dolt. Being pompous about it doesn't help. It just means you're a pompous, superstitious dolt.
(dusting off my hands) Ok, I'm done with you.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#66799 Jan 7, 2013
Which naturally doesn't count.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
My direct personal experience.

Lexington, KY

#66800 Jan 7, 2013
Because god is a self projection of themselves. A projection they are usually taught from childhood and it is a self assuring mechanism for them. Notice god always agrees with the theist. So when we say we do not believe in god they take it as a personal insult which is why we see their anger and vitriol and only verifies my point.

I proposed a simple question to the theists and all of them have refused to answer to even try to answer. Why should anyone accept god as anything more than a product of one's imagination? It seems simple enough yet they day after day fail to answer it.

The only attempt any of them made was, when you believe completely in god you can feel god. Which is no different than a child and Santa Claus. Or men who delude themselves into thinking they could land a playboy playmate if they just had the chance to meet her. Both the child with santa or the chump thinking Heff needs to sweat him will get upset if you don't play along just like people with God. Imagination and delusion are powerful forces.
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Can anyone explain to me why religious nuts are so anxious that everybody else buy into their nonsense? I mean, ok, I don't beleive in god. So how is that any skin off a believer's nose?
Thoughts?

Largo, FL

#66801 Jan 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Because god is a self projection of themselves. A projection they are usually taught from childhood and it is a self assuring mechanism for them. Notice god always agrees with the theist. So when we say we do not believe in god they take it as a personal insult which is why we see their anger and vitriol and only verifies my point.
I proposed a simple question to the theists and all of them have refused to answer to even try to answer. Why should anyone accept god as anything more than a product of one's imagination? It seems simple enough yet they day after day fail to answer it.
The only attempt any of them made was, when you believe completely in god you can feel god. Which is no different than a child and Santa Claus. Or men who delude themselves into thinking they could land a playboy playmate if they just had the chance to meet her. Both the child with santa or the chump thinking Heff needs to sweat him will get upset if you don't play along just like people with God. Imagination and delusion are powerful forces.
<quoted text>
You raise some good points. I was having an argument with a religious nut who was ranting about Clinton being responsible for 9/11. According to the nut, President Clinton did not take any action against terrorists that might have prevented the 9/11 attacks. So I asked the nutjob whether or not he thought God could have prevented the attacks.

The nut replied, "Of course". So I asked, "Then why didn't he?" The nut replied that 9/11, like everything else, was "God's will". Which led me to this question: "Then why do you think Clinton should have interfered in God's will?" The nutjob replied that I was an idiot, mumbled someting about Israel and the Old Testament, then suddenly remembered he was late for an appointment. LOL

Lexington, KY

#66802 Jan 8, 2013
Reason is not the theist's friend :) great job making his head spin btw. I used to make theists squirm by asking them when was the last time they realized god disagreed with them. When they pause and stutter I don't know I say, well all believers answer as you did. How could one god agree with all of you unless he were merely a self projection? Doesn't it seem more likely that way that he is a self projection hence why so many people different as night and day all think god is in lock step with them, or that one deity rapidly canges his POV billions of times a second to fit his believers?

Lol
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
You raise some good points. I was having an argument with a religious nut who was ranting about Clinton being responsible for 9/11. According to the nut, President Clinton did not take any action against terrorists that might have prevented the 9/11 attacks. So I asked the nutjob whether or not he thought God could have prevented the attacks.
The nut replied, "Of course". So I asked, "Then why didn't he?" The nut replied that 9/11, like everything else, was "God's will". Which led me to this question: "Then why do you think Clinton should have interfered in God's will?" The nutjob replied that I was an idiot, mumbled someting about Israel and the Old Testament, then suddenly remembered he was late for an appointment. LOL

Largo, FL

#66803 Jan 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Reason is not the theist's friend :) great job making his head spin btw. I used to make theists squirm by asking them when was the last time they realized god disagreed with them. When they pause and stutter I don't know I say, well all believers answer as you did. How could one god agree with all of you unless he were merely a self projection? Doesn't it seem more likely that way that he is a self projection hence why so many people different as night and day all think god is in lock step with them, or that one deity rapidly canges his POV billions of times a second to fit his believers?
Lol
<quoted text>
LOL. Good argument. Here is another. Ask a theist if he thinks God knows everything that is going to happen in the future. He will probably say "Yes". Then ask him if God gets angry when people sin. Again he will probably say yes. Then ask him, "Well, why should God get mad at a person for sinning if he already knew the person was going to sin?"
John

United States

#66804 Jan 8, 2013
Calm liberal LOL, how about outed loon. You purposefully and incorrectly submitted multiple claims I have made. That's what liberals do; calm or otherwise.

I've simply noted you have no evidence that meets your own criteria in this arena.

I've simply noted you loons spend an inordinate amount of time fighting a God you don't believe in.

I've simply noted your intellectual cowardice and hypocrisy.

When you get over your nothing let me know what your nothing is. I don't debate nothing.

I will debate the evidences and reasons for belief in a prime mover vs whatever nonsense you choose. You can't even dip your little toe in the big boy pool though can you bigot? My evidence will be the nothing you respond with.

I especially like Obama voting nothings patting theirselves on the back as if they are the intellectuals. Honey, you got nothing except a forum about nothing.

Stump an antitheist? Ask them what they believe. So?
John

United States

#66805 Jan 8, 2013
Atheism is anti-science. Unreasonable. Irrational. Illogical. Hateful. Sexist. Homophobic. Do I win?.....loons.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66806 Jan 8, 2013
John wrote:
Atheism is anti-science. Unreasonable. Irrational. Illogical. Hateful. Sexist. Homophobic. Do I win?.....loons.
You sure do win the projection award for consistently projecting your failures onto us.

Largo, FL

#66808 Jan 8, 2013
John wrote:
Calm liberal LOL, how about outed loon. You purposefully and incorrectly submitted multiple claims I have made. That's what liberals do; calm or otherwise.
I've simply noted you have no evidence that meets your own criteria in this arena.
I've simply noted you loons spend an inordinate amount of time fighting a God you don't believe in.
I've simply noted your intellectual cowardice and hypocrisy.
When you get over your nothing let me know what your nothing is. I don't debate nothing.
I will debate the evidences and reasons for belief in a prime mover vs whatever nonsense you choose. You can't even dip your little toe in the big boy pool though can you bigot? My evidence will be the nothing you respond with.
I especially like Obama voting nothings patting theirselves on the back as if they are the intellectuals. Honey, you got nothing except a forum about nothing.
Stump an antitheist? Ask them what they believe. So?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't spend any time "fighting God", as I don't believe there is anything to fight. You know, John, your act is pretty old among us atheists. You babble on and on about some high sounding philosophical rubbish, but it all boils down to the same thing. "God exists because I say so, and if you don't agree, you're a loon, also because I say so." Yawn

Here is my opinion in a nutshell, John. Your belief system is based on mythology and superstition. I don't care whether you believe in God or not. I think it's a silly idea that people should have outgrown many, many years ago. But if you choose to hang on to it, who's stopping you? All I'm saying is that calling people "loons" every few seconds does not prove you're right. It just proves you are very angry and unhappy. Sorry about that. But I can't help you.
John

United States

#66809 Jan 8, 2013
Ummm, ummm....but you don't believe in God. Thanks for the dance bigot. All your noise and accusations, assertions, etc are merely attempts to steer the narrative from your nothing.

I notice you avoided my questions and came back with nothing of your own. Thank nothing you had a God to post about.

So much for you self proclaimed intellectuals.(stomps on bug)
John

United States

#66810 Jan 8, 2013
Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost three years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Three years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 64,120 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True science that is repeatable and observable.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66811 Jan 8, 2013
I believe you're a nobjockey.
John wrote:
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
John

United States

#66812 Jan 8, 2013
You might as well scream, "I'm stumped!" Aren't you tolerant of homosexuals?

Get your nothing out of here!

Largo, FL

#66813 Jan 8, 2013
John wrote:
You might as well scream, "I'm stumped!" Aren't you tolerant of homosexuals?
Get your nothing out of here!
Easy there, psycho. I bet you throw rocks at thinks you don't understand, don't you?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#66814 Jan 8, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy there, psycho. I bet you throw rocks at thinks you don't understand, don't you?
John's a resident troll. We've all had the experience of trying to have adult conversation with him. And all to no avail. Thought I'd let you experience him yourself before noting that is really does no good to feed this troll.

He's got a canned post that he'll put up once a week or so and that's all he's capable of. Been going on for over a year now that I know of.

Largo, FL

#66815 Jan 8, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
John's a resident troll. We've all had the experience of trying to have adult conversation with him. And all to no avail. Thought I'd let you experience him yourself before noting that is really does no good to feed this troll.
He's got a canned post that he'll put up once a week or so and that's all he's capable of. Been going on for over a year now that I know of.
Well, maybe I need to speak to him in his own language. So here goes:

"John, it is painfully obvious that your dichotomy is extinct to the point of rapture. Admit it, coward! You and your incessant co-religionists are unable to verify the very tenants of your verification. Therefore, you have something. So take your something, and shove it! But alas, your seemingly non-essential reliance upon essential reliance has been your undoing, both here and in the heretofore. Coward! But I will no longer deign to aspire to your metaphysical untowardness as it seems, in a word, supercalifragilistic. Liar! Let us also remember that your esoteric diaphram, needlessly derived from the bacillus of truth, can only lead to ruptured testicles. This is the conundrum for which there is no alimony. You seek, then you expostilate, without motion or memory. Fruitcake! And so, I bid you two hearts and a club, for your failure to explore the recesses of my aorta has grown tiresome. Nosepicker!"

Well, how was that? Do I win the "John sound alike" contest?
John

United States

#66816 Jan 8, 2013
Translation- We will post anything at all we think will marginalize believers and mask our nothing. Actually, for true freethinkers I asked simply what these folks believed. It is their forum. The ducking, obfuscating, and lengths they have gone for over THREE years is prima facie evidence of their lunacy.

Most in here are decidely antitheist. I offered hundreds of times to debate the evidences and reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position they choose. No takers. No surprise. You see, absolutely nothing is proof in this arena to them. They have rules though LOL. It is they that find it necessary to inject a God they don't believe in. I simply asked a question and it devolved from there.

How does an antitheist quantify the likelihood of always was, alien seeding, prime mover, something from nothing. Show your work and make sure it meets the evidentiary standards you hold others to.

Now sit back and wait for the nothing.
Lincoln

United States

#66817 Jan 8, 2013
Indy 300M wrote:
<quoted text>
So religion doesn't drive us back to the dark ages. Look at the muslim world. No thanks..........
Generalization
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66818 Jan 8, 2013
Science flies you to the Moon.
Religion flies you into buildings.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Generalization

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Eagle 12 247,230
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 39 min Who 12,435
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr JustASkeptic 47,755
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr Uncle Sam 96
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 2 hr True Christian wi... 2
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 7 hr thetruth 16
Atheism and Evidence of the Exodus Thu Amused 25
More from around the web