Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70657 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66671 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The distinction made was one of relevance, not popularity. If a majority of people believe something and have for centuries, it can't be attributed to imagination alone.
Actually, it can be. The majority of people believed the Earth was flat for a very long time, it's not flat. The majority is also wrong more often than not, so basing anything on the majority is folly.
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66672 Jan 5, 2013
The information that comes to us directly through dreams, impulses, hunches, intuition and the like -is organized differently from the information we receive through our physical senses.

You perceive physical events as happening in time, one following the other and thus when you recount your experiences, you automatically organize them in time sequences. You are so tied to the concept of time that it is difficult for you to grasp other types of organization. This why you think dreams and intuition are unreliable, and why you are more likely to disregard an impulse than notice it. Inner information is organized through emotional association - not according to time. When your "monitor of prosaic logic" is turned off while in dreams or other altered states of consciousness - emotional associations are allowed to flow freely adding valuable input to your waking experience. But whether or not you use that information depends on the degree of your parochialism.

You can't trust you physical senses alone to give you an accurate picture of reality. They can be consumate liars. You can hardly grow into your full potential if you believe that you are a creature bound by the physical limitations of time and space, mindlessly following a path to extinction.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66673 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
The information that comes to us directly through dreams, impulses, hunches, intuition and the like -is organized differently from the information we receive through our physical senses.
You perceive physical events as happening in time, one following the other and thus when you recount your experiences, you automatically organize them in time sequences. You are so tied to the concept of time that it is difficult for you to grasp other types of organization. This why you think dreams and intuition are unreliable, and why you are more likely to disregard an impulse than notice it. Inner information is organized through emotional association - not according to time. When your "monitor of prosaic logic" is turned off while in dreams or other altered states of consciousness - emotional associations are allowed to flow freely adding valuable input to your waking experience. But whether or not you use that information depends on the degree of your parochialism.
You can't trust you physical senses alone to give you an accurate picture of reality. They can be consumate liars. You can hardly grow into your full potential if you believe that you are a creature bound by the physical limitations of time and space, mindlessly following a path to extinction.
Where is the evidence suggesting any of this?
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66674 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the evidence suggesting any of this?
Within yourself. Learn to trust that evidence. Your earthbound assessments are not the limit of your reality.
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66675 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it can be. The majority of people believed the Earth was flat for a very long time, it's not flat. The majority is also wrong more often than not, so basing anything on the majority is folly.
And yet a belief in god(s) persists despite science's theorizing and litany of changing facts.

The human psyche senses the existence of a greater non-physical reality. A belief in god(s) is a manifestation of this inner knowing and religions are attempts to objecify this knowledge.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66676 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Within yourself. Learn to trust that evidence. Your earthbound assessments are not the limit of your reality.
Trusting in fanciful wishing is delusion. I care not to share your mental instability. If what I present cannot be reproduced by others, I fully accept that it was a dream and nothing more. You cannot accept that, because you fear not knowing.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66677 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet a belief in god(s) persists despite science's theorizing and litany of changing facts.
The human psyche senses the existence of a greater non-physical reality. A belief in god(s) is a manifestation of this inner knowing and religions are attempts to objecify this knowledge.
150 years of science has given us the Moon, computers, clean water and food, longer lives ... religion has been indoctrinating people for thousands of years, you can't cure a social illness that's been around for thousands of years in only 150 years, it takes longer than that.

Despite religion's non-answers, woowoo, and believers, it has never once offered more than war.
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66678 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Trusting in fanciful wishing is delusion. I care not to share your mental instability. If what I present cannot be reproduced by others, I fully accept that it was a dream and nothing more. You cannot accept that, because you fear not knowing.
You think trust is a delusion and yet you trust science to give you accurate answers. You are confused.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66679 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You think trust is a delusion and yet you trust science to give you accurate answers. You are confused.
Science hasn't failed to produce beneficial results yet. Religion has not succeeded in doing so. It's a fool who trusts that which does not deliver.
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66680 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
150 years of science has given us the Moon, computers, clean water and food, longer lives ... religion has been indoctrinating people for thousands of years, you can't cure a social illness that's been around for thousands of years in only 150 years, it takes longer than that.
Despite religion's non-answers, woowoo, and believers, it has never once offered more than war.
How do trips to the moon and computers "cure social illness"? Science, instead of promoting peace and brotherly love - has gone along with religion's warring proclivities by producing unconscionable weapons of mass destruction.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66681 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
How do trips to the moon and computers "cure social illness"? Science, instead of promoting peace and brotherly love - has gone along with religion's warring proclivities by producing unconscionable weapons of mass destruction.
Since the advent of the internet, and a serious increase of sales in violent video games, we have seen a steady decline in criminal activity in the US, with the fastest decline in all of recorded history occurring between 1980 and 1990.

Medicine has enabled us to live not only longer but also comfortably.

Since the multiculturalism caused by the massive communications network world wide we have seen a huge decline in wars, this is literally an era with the least number of wars in all known history.

We can get clean water and food, and not have to worry as much if it will kill us. If it does contain something that winds up making us ill we can take a quick trip to the hospital and get it taken care of relatively painless to what it was like 50 years ago.

Better question: What hasn't scientific advancement done to help improve our species?
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66682 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the advent of the internet, and a serious increase of sales in violent video games, we have seen a steady decline in criminal activity in the US, with the fastest decline in all of recorded history occurring between 1980 and 1990.
Medicine has enabled us to live not only longer but also comfortably.
Since the multiculturalism caused by the massive communications network world wide we have seen a huge decline in wars, this is literally an era with the least number of wars in all known history.
We can get clean water and food, and not have to worry as much if it will kill us. If it does contain something that winds up making us ill we can take a quick trip to the hospital and get it taken care of relatively painless to what it was like 50 years ago.
Better question: What hasn't scientific advancement done to help improve our species?
Sources? If you can't provide links - you are making this stuff up.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66683 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Sources? If you can't provide links - you are making this stuff up.
www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_Uni...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_W...
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_indu...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_wars

All nicely annotated so you can verify the data presented.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#66684 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Science hasn't failed to produce beneficial results yet. Religion has not succeeded in doing so. It's a fool who trusts that which does not deliver.
KK

Science has not failed. It is our trust in those promoters in science that makes one realize science has not delivered....

When I was younger, the promise was that in 10-15 years there would be "free" energy. Instead it costs 5 times what it used to....I am disappointed!

Likewise it is the promoters in religion that makes one think religion has not delievered.

When I was younger religion was respected, now it is ignored or spit upon....I am disappointed!

I am not disappointed in science, and religion. Rather, that they have been used, and in my lack of understanding, did not know it yet....

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66685 Jan 5, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
KK
Science has not failed. It is our trust in those promoters in science that makes one realize science has not delivered....
When I was younger, the promise was that in 10-15 years there would be "free" energy. Instead it costs 5 times what it used to....I am disappointed!
Likewise it is the promoters in religion that makes one think religion has not delievered.
When I was younger religion was respected, now it is ignored or spit upon....I am disappointed!
I am not disappointed in science, and religion. Rather, that they have been used, and in my lack of understanding, did not know it yet....
You are conflating corporations with scientists. You are also ignoring that the benefits from advancement far outweigh the few areas they have been unable to benefit ... yet.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66686 Jan 5, 2013
Oh, and religion has produced very little benefit, a placebo only works for so long before you need the real thing.
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66687 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
"Violent TV, films and video games do increase aggression, an international panel of experts has said, as they warn parents to keep an eye on what their children are watching. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

War did not decline during the course of the 20th century. In fact, mankind experienced some of the most destructive wars of all times due to the invention of horrific weaponry.

http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/peace/c...

We are eating cheaper food with less and less nutrional content - thanks to the efforts of the scientifcally fueled manufactured food industry. These chemically altered counterfeit food stuffs have contributed to an epidemic of obseity and associated illnesses throughout the world.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/201...

Modern medicine kills more often than it cures. "Modern Medicine's treatments for disease are seldom effective, and they're often more dangerous than the diseases they're designed to treat. ninety per cent of Modern Medicine could disappear from the face of the earth--doctors, hospitals, drugs and equipment--and the effect on our health would be immediate and beneficial." - Dr. Robert S. Mendolsohn

What makes your sources more valid than mine, other than your belief that they are?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#66688 Jan 5, 2013
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
postcriptt

The virtue of religion is love, prayer, sacrifice. So it is rather the opposite, the vices of man that make war and destruction.

Likewise, the virtue of knowledge does not make war, it is the vice(greed and envy) within men that make war and destruction.

Thus one needs to purge oneself of these vices, and pursue virtue. And in the pursuit of virtue these must be active and not just in the heart and mind. We are not all islands, to isolate ourselves....
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66689 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Oh, and religion has produced very little benefit, a placebo only works for so long before you need the real thing.
Not true. The placebo effect is measurable and quantifiable and often works better than the real thing with fewer side effects.
postscriptt

Placitas, NM

#66690 Jan 5, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
postcriptt
The virtue of religion is love, prayer, sacrifice. So it is rather the opposite, the vices of man that make war and destruction.
Likewise, the virtue of knowledge does not make war, it is the vice(greed and envy) within men that make war and destruction.
Thus one needs to purge oneself of these vices, and pursue virtue. And in the pursuit of virtue these must be active and not just in the heart and mind. We are not all islands, to isolate ourselves....
Ours is a path marked by wonders of our own making, but also with barriers, and baffles and MOB border guards (kittykoder types) whose main purpose in life is to protect the scientifically engineered social status quo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min Uncle Sam 239,426
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 11 min thetruth 7,477
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Zog Has-fallen 19,074
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Thinking 2,218
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 4 hr Insults Are Easier 125
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 7 hr Thinking 2
John 3:16 7 hr Thinking 2
More from around the web