Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 3,170)

Showing posts 63,381 - 63,400 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66075
Dec 18, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hint: Gravity is the weakest of the four forces of nature, and inertia is just a part of gravity.
Did a little birdie tell you that on your daily walk around the asylum? Gravity is not a force. It's a curvature and inertia is not a factor. An object with mass will exhibit the same amount of inertia regardless of whether it's in a gravitational field or not.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66076
Dec 18, 2012
 
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh look, its the guy who refuses to provide any proof of god yet continues to lie about it being real.
You and Jesus would make a cute couple.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66077
Dec 18, 2012
 
A catholic priest, Monsignor Georges Lemaîtrewho, came up with the bigbang theory. You jokers believe in a theory about the origin of the universe based on the biblical story of genesis. LMAO!
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66078
Dec 18, 2012
 
A broken clock may be correct twice a day.
digitaldan wrote:
A catholic priest, Monsignor Georges Lemaîtrewho, came up with the bigbang theory. You jokers believe in a theory about the origin of the universe based on the biblical story of genesis. LMAO!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66079
Dec 18, 2012
 
digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a little birdie tell you that on your daily walk around the asylum? Gravity is not a force. It's a curvature and inertia is not a factor. An object with mass will exhibit the same amount of inertia regardless of whether it's in a gravitational field or not.
BWAHAHAHA! Good one.*snickers* Gravity is not a force.

So then what is it? Angles holding everything down. lol

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66080
Dec 18, 2012
 
digitaldan wrote:
A catholic priest, Monsignor Georges Lemaîtrewho, came up with the bigbang theory. You jokers believe in a theory about the origin of the universe based on the biblical story of genesis. LMAO!
And LeMaitre chastised the Pope for attempting to make exactly such a claim. The Big Bang has nothing to do with Genesis.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66081
Dec 18, 2012
 
digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a little birdie tell you that on your daily walk around the asylum? Gravity is not a force. It's a curvature and inertia is not a factor. An object with mass will exhibit the same amount of inertia regardless of whether it's in a gravitational field or not.
In general relativity, gravity is essentially a curvature of space-time. However, it is still a force because that curvature produces relative acceleration of nearby geodesics. Once quantum effects are considered, the matter isn't so straightforward because the same situation can be regarded in geometric terms (curvature), field theoretic terms (force field), or particle interactions (gravitons). All three are the same mathematically.

So yes, gravity is justifiably considered a force. It is the weakest of the four fundamental forces by far.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66082
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHA! Good one.*snickers* Gravity is not a force.
So then what is it? Angles holding everything down. lol
Well, as digitaldan was pointing out, it is also regarded as simply a geometric effect caused by the curvature of spacetime. No 'force' shows up in the basic equations when using general relativity. Instead, the curvature of spacetime causes nearby paths to converge.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66083
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHA! Good one.*snickers* Gravity is not a force.
So then what is it? Angles holding everything down. lol
Wipe the spittle off your chin and do some googling.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66084
Dec 18, 2012
 
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And LeMaitre chastised the Pope for attempting to make exactly such a claim. The Big Bang has nothing to do with Genesis.
Not after science got through with it, no.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66085
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wipe the spittle off your chin and do some googling.
You mean like this:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/a...
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/cosmo...
http://library.thinkquest.org/27930/forces.ht...

That was with my eyes closed.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66086
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not after science got through with it, no.
As it should be, based on reality instead of myths.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66087
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not after science got through with it, no.
Exactly. By removing the god factor, science put itself in a major conundrum trying to explain how something comes from nothing. In fact, science cobbled a lot from religion.

When a new "mechanized" god appeared shimmering on the horizon and the power of organized religion began to wane in America, the search for the truth was transferred largely to science, which borrowed Protestantism's garb. Heaven was no longer considered a suitable concept for reasonable people, so the ideal of an industrialized, self-indulgent society was inserted instead as mankind's goal. A focus on pragmatic materialistic issues replaced a search for spirituality, and truth could only be found in a test tube. Instead of an end time apocolypse between good and evil, all the stars would burn out one day in a big crunch. The devil became the "disturbed" subconscious and the soul, the "heart" of man. And if indulging in material gluttony did not satisfy one's deeper needs, no matter, the new god-science, would come up with a better solution tomorrow.

Many accepted the idea that the body belonged to the nefarious realm of Darwinian and biological happenstance and with the soul properly disconnected, instead of grappling with a conscience, people could live their lives unaccountable to anything when there was no price to pay - when death obliterated their brief and insignificant physical experience.

In the 21st century with man-made climate change gathering momentum, things have come full circle. The mechanized god-science, promising much and delivering failures, has been exposed as a charlatan. Science's myths revealed - lack all the qualities that give man respect for nature, hope, inspiration and faith by denying him not only the meaning of the universe but of his very being.

The flock is leaving the fold looking for truth elsewhere. Mankind's psyche is once again using its ancient god making tools to fashion a version of reality that is both psychically expansive and connected, more benevolent and purposeful. A reality not focused on structured organized dogma, but a private "individualized" relationship between the universe and the natural mystical self.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66088
Dec 18, 2012
 
So angels at the command of the great sky wizard hold everything down eh reject?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. By removing the god factor, science put itself in a major conundrum trying to explain how something comes from nothing. In fact, science cobbled a lot from religion.
When a new "mechanized" god appeared shimmering on the horizon and the power of organized religion began to wane in America, the search for the truth was transferred largely to science, which borrowed Protestantism's garb. Heaven was no longer considered a suitable concept for reasonable people, so the ideal of an industrialized, self-indulgent society was inserted instead as mankind's goal. A focus on pragmatic materialistic issues replaced a search for spirituality, and truth could only be found in a test tube. Instead of an end time apocolypse between good and evil, all the stars would burn out one day in a big crunch. The devil became the "disturbed" subconscious and the soul, the "heart" of man. And if indulging in material gluttony did not satisfy one's deeper needs, no matter, the new god-science, would come up with a better solution tomorrow.
Many accepted the idea that the body belonged to the nefarious realm of Darwinian and biological happenstance and with the soul properly disconnected, instead of grappling with a conscience, people could live their lives unaccountable to anything when there was no price to pay - when death obliterated their brief and insignificant physical experience.
In the 21st century with man-made climate change gathering momentum, things have come full circle. The mechanized god-science, promising much and delivering failures, has been exposed as a charlatan. Science's myths revealed - lack all the qualities that give man respect for nature, hope, inspiration and faith by denying him not only the meaning of the universe but of his very being.
The flock is leaving the fold looking for truth elsewhere. Mankind's psyche is once again using its ancient god making tools to fashion a version of reality that is both psychically expansive and connected, more benevolent and purposeful. A reality not focused on structured organized dogma, but a private "individualized" relationship between the universe and the natural mystical self.
Some Random Dude

Capitola, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66089
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
In general relativity, gravity is essentially a curvature of space-time. However, it is still a force because that curvature produces relative acceleration of nearby geodesics. Once quantum effects are considered, the matter isn't so straightforward because the same situation can be regarded in geometric terms (curvature), field theoretic terms (force field), or particle interactions (gravitons). All three are the same mathematically.
So yes, gravity is justifiably considered a force. It is the weakest of the four fundamental forces by far.
Anybody that would argue that gravity is not a force is arguing pure semantics. I would have a hard time wasting my intellectual energy on them.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66090
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
In general relativity, gravity is essentially a curvature of space-time. However, it is still a force because that curvature produces relative acceleration of nearby geodesics. Once quantum effects are considered, the matter isn't so straightforward because the same situation can be regarded in geometric terms (curvature), field theoretic terms (force field), or particle interactions (gravitons). All three are the same mathematically.
So yes, gravity is justifiably considered a force. It is the weakest of the four fundamental forces by far.
Doesn't seem that way when I take off my bra...

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66091
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody that would argue that gravity is not a force is arguing pure semantics. I would have a hard time wasting my intellectual energy on them.
Go ahead, tell me everything you know, genius. It'll only take 10 seconds.
Some Random Dude

Capitola, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66092
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Go ahead, tell me everything you know, genius. It'll only take 10 seconds.
There's not much TO know. Do things move by way of gravity? Yes. Then it's a force. Any other stupid questions?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66093
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
There's not much TO know. Do things move by way of gravity? Yes. Then it's a force. Any other stupid questions?
It's difficult to get the big picture when you have such a small screen, isn't it?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66094
Dec 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

The great sky wizard sends in his angels to hold everything down right?

Lmfao!
digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's difficult to get the big picture when you have such a small screen, isn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 63,381 - 63,400 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••