Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66292 Dec 23, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh backing up claims is like torture to a believer. Why oh why can't we just accept their imagination created ideas as fact?
<quoted text>
It's like pulling teeth without Novocain.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#66293 Dec 23, 2012
I rather enjoyed this :)

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like pulling teeth without Novocain.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#66294 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I am more inclined to believe that you are one of science's apologists dedicated to finding different ways to exculpate its many contradictions and inconsistencies.
Your lack of understanding is not the fault of the theory. What you asked about is not speciation. it is not expected to appear in the lab because of severe time constraints and it shows a remarkable lack of comprehension about what evolution actually says (as opposed to what the creationists like to claim it says).

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66295 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of date and inaccurate, or just contrary to your point of view?
Out of date and inaccurate. There has been a tremendous amount of work on dark matter over the last few years and popular treatments simply don't keep up with the current research. For example, the post you made referred to a paper claiming that the dark matter density was about 10% of the expected density. It did NOT claim that there was no dark matter, just that the amount nearby was less than expected. But it also made assumptions that are known to be wrong about the rates of revolution of matter close to the midline of the galactic plane. That meant that its calculations about the dark matter density were wrong (as pointed out in the paper I liked to). When the correct description of local revolution are included in the analysis, the amount of dark matter agrees with the predictions.
I notice you tend to rely on this schtick when you are confronted with opposing scientific perspectives that challenge your own.
Astrophysics is one of my specialties, so I am much more aware of the amount that things have changed in the last decade in this area. Cosmology, in particular, has moved from a collection of ideas with very large error bars to one that currently is a precision science. Many objections that were reasonable 10 years ago are no longer so simply because of the vastly larger amount of data we have now versus then. because of this, it is easy for even fairly recent articles to be badly out of date, especially those for a popular audience.
If you refute the findings of scientists when they disagree, you can't expect the public to do any less with your interpretations. This is, after all, a public forum.
Shall we see what happens in the *scientific* debate? The scientists are the ones that have the data and know enough to actually analyze it correctly (perhaps with some peer review). Where the data is ambiguous, science journal articles are typically very good at pointing this out and discussing what the range of possibilities are. You don't get this debate in the public media. But if you are interested, I can link to journal articles that have the *real* science (as opposed to the stuff you get in popular magazines and websites).

Lexington, KY

#66296 Dec 23, 2012
Do tell us the sin of science that is angering your Jesus.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated in my post, the calamity I see is the one awaiting science if it continues along its chosen course.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66297 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The use of soap and water has done more to extend the lives of humans than anything else. But let's say your asssertion is true. What's the point of extending life when the quality of life has been compromised by the same science? Do you find something particularly appealing about living under a pall of pollution, or drinking water contaminated by industrial technology?
Better than the threat of malaria, smallpox, polio, spoiled meats, no refrigeration, water contaminated by feces, tuberculosis, etc.
Tell that to people recovering from severe bouts of E-coli and salmonella in hospitals.
As opposed to dying from them in hovels and no medical attention.
Which doesn't explain why backyard gardens and organic foods are making a comeback.
They do taste better.
If you expect me to lay down my life for science because I have a computer and a phone, it's not going to happen. Generations past did just fine without these conveniences.
Yes, they survived and often did well. But if you go back 1000 years, the conditions would be intolerable for most people today: early death by disease was common, childhood mortality was worse than anywhere today, poor diet lead to malnutrition even among the elite, etc. So, while these were 'just fine', they were certainly NOT good.

Science has done much more to improve your life than it has to detract from it.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66298 Dec 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it
The atheist's knee jerk response. LOL!
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>.....polio was not cured by just soap and water, AIDS won't be either.
I didn't say it was.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>2. You mean newly evolved strains. We figure out how to fight those like all the others.
I mean mutations, which is not an adequate mechanism for evolving complexity.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text> Most e-coli outbreaks are from farms that did not use enough chemicals, ironically, because e-coli is just a natural bacteria that is in almost everything. But transporting food products that are not properly preserved will always give the bacteria a nice little breeding environment.
You said today's food was safe, I illustrated how it isn't.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text> Previous generations had to work 18 hours a day just to provide the barest essentials.

And then came unions and changed all that.

Hurricane Sandy, record heat waves and flooding, devastating forest fires and unprecedented drought are just previews - the tip of melting glaciers. When climate change hits us full force and all the wonders of science can no longer offer us refuge, will you survive? Too many people have grown dependent on the conveniences of science subsequently, very few possess the knowledge of their ancestors, the knowledge it takes to live off the land. We have effectively sacrificed our human heritage for an iphone and an X-box.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>The great thing is, you don't have to "lay down your life" for science, it's religion that demands blood sacrifices, scientists would rather you keep the blood inside you.
Unless you are an unwitting guinea pig in a scientific experiment.
http://www.nuclearcrimes.org/6-2.php

The old testament god, Jehovah the Bloodthirsty, did indeed require sacrificial burnt offerings - "a sweet savour" unto the Lord. Many innocent animals lost their lives to appease his taste for blood.

But is the sacrifice of animals any less appalling because it is done in the name of science?

http://voices.halabol.com/sites/default/files...
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66299 Dec 23, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Astrophysics is one of my specialties, so I am much more aware of the amount that things have changed in the last decade in this area.
Then you are the one to ask: What has astrophysics done to improve the human condition?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66300 Dec 23, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Better than the threat of malaria, smallpox, polio.....
Until vaccinations injure YOUR child. Then the "threat" of disease is of no consequence. "Hannah Bruesewitz suffered 125 seizures in the 16 days following her whole-cell pertussis shot in 1992. Eventually she was diagnosed with a residual seizure disorder and pervasive developmental disorder. She's now a 19-year-old woman who can't take care of herself and requires round-the-clock care."
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_scie...

Parents deserve good information untainted by conflict of interest. They deserve the right to choose whether or not to vaccinate their children. And those that choose to vaccinate, after weighing the benefits and risks, deserve SAFE vaccines.

http://vactruth.com/2012/05/27/numerous-probl...
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has done much more to improve your life than it has to detract from it.
If it comes down to the lessor of two evils, we haven't advanced very far as a civilization, have we?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66301 Dec 23, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I rather enjoyed this :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oEl9kVl6KPcXX
<quoted text>
Neil is awesome! I love his bluntness, his forwardness, his honesty. He's also very intelligent.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66302 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The atheist's knee jerk response. LOL!
<quoted text>
I didn't say it was.
<quoted text>
I mean mutations, which is not an adequate mechanism for evolving complexity.
<quoted text>
You said today's food was safe, I illustrated how it isn't.
<quoted text>
And then came unions and changed all that.
Hurricane Sandy, record heat waves and flooding, devastating forest fires and unprecedented drought are just previews - the tip of melting glaciers. When climate change hits us full force and all the wonders of science can no longer offer us refuge, will you survive? Too many people have grown dependent on the conveniences of science subsequently, very few possess the knowledge of their ancestors, the knowledge it takes to live off the land. We have effectively sacrificed our human heritage for an iphone and an X-box.
<quoted text>
Unless you are an unwitting guinea pig in a scientific experiment.
http://www.nuclearcrimes.org/6-2.php
The old testament god, Jehovah the Bloodthirsty, did indeed require sacrificial burnt offerings - "a sweet savour" unto the Lord. Many innocent animals lost their lives to appease his taste for blood.
But is the sacrifice of animals any less appalling because it is done in the name of science?
http://voices.halabol.com/sites/default/files...
You know literally nothing of the various technological and scientific advances that keep you alive every day. Without the scientific community, you'd be dead by now.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66303 Dec 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You know literally nothing of the various technological and scientific advances that keep you alive every day. Without the scientific community, you'd be dead by now.
PROVE IT! LOL!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66304 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Until vaccinations injure YOUR child. Then the "threat" of disease is of no consequence. "Hannah Bruesewitz suffered 125 seizures in the 16 days following her whole-cell pertussis shot in 1992. Eventually she was diagnosed with a residual seizure disorder and pervasive developmental disorder. She's now a 19-year-old woman who can't take care of herself and requires round-the-clock care."
And at one time she would have been dead of pertussis. Or smallpox. No, vaccines are not perfectly safe. Nothing is. But they are far better than the alternative of the disease.
If it comes down to the lessor of two evils, we haven't advanced very far as a civilization, have we?
Sorry, but that's how the real world often operates.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66305 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are the one to ask: What has astrophysics done to improve the human condition?
The quest for knowledge is an independent value.

But, there are a host of advancements that would not have started except for the general physical principles that were first uncovered in astrophysics. Helium was first discovered on the sun. We understand more about ourselves and our place in the universe by studying astrophysics. We understand how the materials our bodies are made of came to be by studying stars. Perhaps we even achieve a certain level of humility by seeing how small we are in this vast cosmos.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66306 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE IT! LOL!
Have you ever actually camped? I mean really camped. With a bow and arrow, fishing rod, tent, and twenty mile hike to the nearest ... well ... anything. Try it sometime, live there for just one week, I did for a whole month at a time. To me it was fun because it reminded me of how lucky we are.

Since you obviously think that mutation is not part of evolution, you know nothing of biological sciences, none of them.

Since you don't admit that you buy things from the grocer all the time, you are probably lying, but more importantly you don't know much about what a quality inspection is, since you seem to imply that grocer foods are worse for you than the homegrown stuff.

You obviously know nothing of farming, if you think that even a suburban yard has enough room to feed one person ... all year round.

You know nothing of computers, other than how to turn them on and use GUIs.

You have no idea how much technology and science it takes to get you enough electricity to operate your appliances, since you seem to think you can live without it now.

I think I'll let that evidence seep in.

Chicago, IL

#66307 Dec 23, 2012
I thought you would approve :)
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Neil is awesome! I love his bluntness, his forwardness, his honesty. He's also very intelligent.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66308 Dec 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever actually camped? I mean really camped. With a bow and arrow, fishing rod, tent, and twenty mile hike to the nearest ... well ... anything. Try it sometime, live there for just one week, I did for a whole month at a time. To me it was fun because it reminded me of how lucky we are.
Since you obviously think that mutation is not part of evolution, you know nothing of biological sciences, none of them.
Since you don't admit that you buy things from the grocer all the time, you are probably lying, but more importantly you don't know much about what a quality inspection is, since you seem to imply that grocer foods are worse for you than the homegrown stuff.
You obviously know nothing of farming, if you think that even a suburban yard has enough room to feed one person ... all year round.
You know nothing of computers, other than how to turn them on and use GUIs.
You have no idea how much technology and science it takes to get you enough electricity to operate your appliances, since you seem to think you can live without it now.
I think I'll let that evidence seep in.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever actually camped? I mean really camped. With a bow and arrow, fishing rod, tent, and twenty mile hike to the nearest ... well ... anything. Try it sometime, live there for just one week, I did for a whole month at a time. To me it was fun because it reminded me of how lucky we are.Since you obviously think that mutation is not part of evolution, you know nothing of biological sciences, none of them. Since you don't admit that you buy things from the grocer all the time, you are probably lying, but more importantly you don't know much about what a quality inspection is, since you seem to imply that grocer foods are worse for you than the homegrown stuff. You obviously know nothing of farming, if you think that even a suburban yard has enough room to feed one person ... all year round.You know nothing of computers, other than how to turn them on and use GUIs.
You have no idea how much technology and science it takes to get you enough electricity to operate your appliances, since you seem to think you can live without it now. I think I'll let that evidence seep in.
The above rambling adolescent trumpery proves nothing, but it does highlight a deficiency in your ability to think critically.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66309 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The above rambling adolescent trumpery proves nothing, but it does highlight a deficiency in your ability to think critically.
So .... you have nothing to support your assertions and want to distract everyone, well try to, by simply dropping the subject. Gotcha.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#66310 Dec 23, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The quest for knowledge is an independent value. But, there are a host of advancements that would not have started except for the general physical principles that were first uncovered in astrophysics. Helium was first discovered on the sun.

The search for knowledge is not a quest but a characteristic of consciousness. The discovery of helium on the sun has not transformed the human race one iota and I suspect the host of advancements you speak of are only beneficial to science's minions of theorists.

[QUOTE who="polymath257"] <quoted text>We understand more about ourselves and our place in the universe by studying astrophysics.

Really? Science would have to define the meaning of life, give life purpose before it could purport to know who we are and why we we exist, let alone where our "place" in the universe is.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>We understand how the materials our bodies are made of came to be by studying stars.
That's all good and well, but how does this information explain the dark side of human nature? Perhap the answer in hidden in dark stars, eh?:))
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps we even achieve a certain level of humility by seeing how small we are in this vast cosmos.
The public need not fund astrophysicist's search for elusive dark matter to feel humility when all it takes is something as inexpensive and simple as looking up in perfect silence at the stars. You may as well admit it before you dig yourself a deeper hole, astrophysics is science for the sake of science. It has done absolutely nothing to do with improving the human condition.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#66311 Dec 23, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Science would have to define the meaning of life, give life purpose before it could purport to know who we are and why we we exist, let alone where our "place" in the universe is.
Presupposition, your entire post fails because of the presupposition here. Why must there be a "purpose" for life to exist?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 1 hr Paul Porter1 6,223
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 243,507
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr ChristineM 9,498
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 16 hr TC_Tia 14,656
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 hr MikeF 19,806
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Jul 4 Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Jul 4 thetruth 38
More from around the web