Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#65938 Dec 14, 2012
Primates are all of our common ancestors. Do you wanna buy those books or not?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't imagine any woman being attracted do an ape-man like yourself. It's a freaking miracle that you are able to find your mouth with a fork every day!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65939 Dec 14, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do have something.
And no, it is not a first.
And no, it has not been demonstrated to be a scam. Ask scientists privately what they think. It's a different answer.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Still more assertions, still no evidence, and if you had demonstrated it to not be a scam, why is it that no one knows about it? James Randi has over a million bucks for such a thing. This money has remained unclaimed for decades now.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65940 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
A dingbat like you posting something stupid produces the same result every time.
Yes, which makes one wonder why you enjoy looking like a fool.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65941 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Another wild claim without any bases in fact. You're chock full of them.
Michelle Funk, a drowning victim, fell into the icy waters of Bell Canyon Creek in Utah as a child. Today she's a normal adult and shows no signs of her traumatic experience - no brain injury from oxygen deprivation even after 62 minutes under water. Moted.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_hypoxia
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/...

Such a well understood phenomena there's even a wikipedia entry about it. Those are just two randomly selected scientific articles about it as well.

The brain can survive 2 minutes without oxygen before damage begins, takes a full 10 minutes for it to actually die. During that time the rapidly depleted energy, due to the lack of transmission chemicals, begins to fire into random neurons, sort of like cars finishing the race. This causes the brain to record random events, images, etc. all out of order, resulting in garbage data. To accommodate the missing parts, should the brain be revived successfully and soon enough, it fills in the gaps with whatever "fits" best based on it's own personal experiences, thus you have NDE/OBE hallucinations.

Oh, and then there's the "cold" effect, when a brain is cooled enough it slows down, a lot, to the point of entering a stasis like mode, where it can survive for hours with little to no oxygen, it's the whole basis for the concept of cryogenics.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65942 Dec 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_hypoxia
Such a well understood phenomena there's even a wikipedia entry about it. Those are just two randomly selected scientific articles about it as well.
The brain can survive 2 minutes without oxygen before damage begins, takes a full 10 minutes for it to actually die. During that time the rapidly depleted energy, due to the lack of transmission chemicals, begins to fire into random neurons, sort of like cars finishing the race. This causes the brain to record random events, images, etc. all out of order, resulting in garbage data. To accommodate the missing parts, should the brain be revived successfully and soon enough, it fills in the gaps with whatever "fits" best based on it's own personal experiences, thus you have NDE/OBE hallucinations.
Oh, and then there's the "cold" effect, when a brain is cooled enough it slows down, a lot, to the point of entering a stasis like mode, where it can survive for hours with little to no oxygen, it's the whole basis for the concept of cryogenics.
Offering explanations after the fact doesn't diminish the falsity of your original statement one iota.

"Loss of oxygen to the brain in ANY WAY is traumatic for the brain."
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65943 Dec 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Still more assertions, still no evidence, and if you had demonstrated it to not be a scam, why is it that no one knows about it? James Randi has over a million bucks for such a thing. This money has remained unclaimed for decades now.
James Randi likes to claim he's a sceptic, but he's really a cynic. Having been a stage magician for many years, he's smart enough to know how to prevent forking over a million dollars he doesn't have, which is why no one one can pass his prequalifying test. There's nothing scientific about choosing a series of experiments you know have a minimal chance of success.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65944 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
James Randi likes to claim he's a sceptic, but he's really a cynic. Having been a stage magician for many years, he's smart enough to know how to prevent forking over a million dollars he doesn't have, which is why no one one can pass his prequalifying test. There's nothing scientific about choosing a series of experiments you know have a minimal chance of success.
You don't know anything about James, or the JREF.

Most of the money in the pot now is from donations, from people like me, who actually want to see something paranormal. We've been to all the graveyards, and "haunted" locations, seen no evidence of anything paranormal at all. We've been to psychic but because of being too observant we see through their guise. So, we increase the pot.

All tests are agreed on by the participants, who actually do design a lot of the tests themselves. which is rather ironic. If they were truly psychic or there was something paranormal, then there is more than a minimal amount of success in any situation. Something that is real can be repeated, with almost identical results each time, unless it's all based on chance, in which case, that's not paranormal, that's just chance.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65945 Dec 14, 2012
You're avoiding the question.
How do you distinguish between evidence that is the result of your vivid imagination and evidence that is the result of reality (but which is not available to anyone else, for some reason)?
postscriptt wrote:
I answered the question.
No, you didn't. The question was how to distinguish evidence of reality from imagination. You simply relabeled the two as categories, but provided no *method* on how to distinguish them.
postscriptt wrote:
If you don't take the time to examine your own subjective states, then you can't complain if my answers elude you.
You aren't providing answers. You're avoiding the question.

You can provide no method to distinguish real evidence from imagined evidence.

So why should anyone else accept your claims?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65946 Dec 14, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
For the same reason not everybody accepts your claims.

I answered the question and I told you how to find your own evidence which is the only way you will know the difference between imagination and subjective states of mind. All of existence and consciousness is interwoven. It is only when you think of yourself as separate from creation that you insist on testable evidence.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65947 Dec 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the money in the pot now is from donations, from people like me, who actually want to see something paranormal. We've been to all the graveyards, and "haunted" locations, seen no evidence of anything paranormal at all. We've been to psychic but because of being too observant we see through their guise. So, we increase the pot.
All tests are agreed on by the participants, who actually do design a lot of the tests themselves. which is rather ironic. If they were truly psychic or there was something paranormal, then there is more than a minimal amount of success in any situation. Something that is real can be repeated, with almost identical results each time, unless it's all based on chance, in which case, that's not paranormal, that's just chance.
Wrong. Randi put up his own money.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#65948 Dec 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The JREF gives itself complete control. The test is one-sided and the applicant has absolutely no rights and no control. On the JREF website, it states that the test: "isn't going to be like taking a test. This is going to be like going to court."

http://voices.yahoo.com/exposing-unfair-truth...

btw....James Randi is being sued for fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract, malfeasance and more.

http://www.bolenreport.com/feature_articles/D... 's-Data-v-Barrett/milliondolla rsuit1.htm

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65949 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
For the same reason not everybody accepts your claims.
You didn't answer the question.
postscriptt wrote:
I answered the question
No, you didn't. You identified no process for distinguishing between you claimed "evidence" and the products of a vivid imagination.

If you can't distinguish them, then nobody else has any reason to accept your claim.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#65950 Dec 14, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>possibly
http://recordofawakening.com/2012/04/21/relea...
DMT through Meditation
Interesting, but I was thinking of one not caused by the individual experiencing it.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#65951 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't imagine any woman being attracted do an ape-man like yourself. It's a freaking miracle that you are able to find your mouth with a fork every day!
This guy's mom was obviously attracted to neanderthal types...

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2009070...

...which explains the unibrow and fangs.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#65952 Dec 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
James Randi is a fraud, and there is no million dollar prize. Wise up.

Amazing Randi has been adjudicated in at least 2 court cases to be a liar. He has lied repeatedly about data submitted to him by aspirants to the prize. There is no prize.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#65953 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
There are groups who have passed Amazing Randi's test and are waiting for their prize.

They will wait a long time. There is no prize. Randi is a proven and documented liar and fraud.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#65954 Dec 14, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question.
<quoted text>
No, you didn't. You identified no process for distinguishing between you claimed "evidence" and the products of a vivid imagination.
If you can't distinguish them, then nobody else has any reason to accept your claim.
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65955 Dec 14, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Randi put up his own money.
You don't read too well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi_Educ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi_Educ...

Learn something, you idiot.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65956 Dec 14, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
James Randi is a fraud, and there is no million dollar prize. Wise up.
Amazing Randi has been adjudicated in at least 2 court cases to be a liar. He has lied repeatedly about data submitted to him by aspirants to the prize. There is no prize.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YB3SAD-gHTcXX
Um, wow, you buy into anything. So one scam artist who's bilking millions out of people isn't interested in the prize money and suddenly James is a criminal? Lame attempt to discredit someone just because you can't put up the evidence.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65957 Dec 14, 2012
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
The JREF gives itself complete control. The test is one-sided and the applicant has absolutely no rights and no control. On the JREF website, it states that the test: "isn't going to be like taking a test. This is going to be like going to court."
http://voices.yahoo.com/exposing-unfair-truth...
btw....James Randi is being sued for fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract, malfeasance and more.
http://www.bolenreport.com/feature_articles/D... 's-Data-v-Barrett/milliondolla rsuit1.htm
Still nothing but scam artists trying to make excuses for not presenting evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 48 min Joe fortuna 232,895
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,270
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 9 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 9 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 9 hr thetruth 67
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Fri _Bad Company 23,198
More from around the web