Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65878 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Still hitting that metaphysical bong, I see. "Mediums" in the form of psychic phenomena? I know a bit about. They aren't real, and yes, it's all a scam.
"Altered states of consciousness," you mean getting high, that's fully explainable in neurology.
You like to refer to yourself as intelligent but you can't explain why you can think at all.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65879 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Skills?" Junkies in the shelters get the exact same insights you posit.
Junkies in shelters have more humanity than your god science acknowledges. In that respect, they are light years ahead of you.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65880 Dec 13, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
What evidence do you have for a "greater reality"?
How exactly do you distinguish between your *subjective* evidence and a vivid imagination?
If you have traveled the path inward, you wouldn't have to ask that question.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65881 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to refer to yourself as intelligent but you can't explain why you can think at all.
Actually, I can' as do many neurologists who I have talked to, developing AI requires a bit more understanding of the brain than working in a Burger King like you. Thinking is a result of chemical reactions within the organ called the brain, which is a collection of stable cells called neurons. These neurons process information much like our computers, but with a slightly more dynamic thread system that we cannot, as of yet, emulate perfectly in digital formats. The neurons, when starting out, all contain random weights, values, as one path of neurons results in positive results those weights increase accordingly, when they result in negative results they decrease accordingly. The scale of how much of an increase or decrease occurs is based on the total response of the complete complex organism, each cell is itself and organism you see. For example, a sociopath brain will not weigh in emotional responses, while an empathic brain will always weigh them in. A balanced brain weighs them in when appropriate. Then when the same situation arises the brain fires a shot through the neural pathways, the weights of each "guide" the direction of that information to, what it hopes, is the best resulting neurons to produce a response for the complex organism. Because the brain is a learning engine, these responses are not always going to result in desirable, or accurate, reactions, however, because it is a learning engine it adapts, should the complex organism survive.

Anymore stupid questions?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65882 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was actually organized by the Catholic church as a way to determine false claims of "miracles" and such as what you are posting. There was never any magic as you are hinting at here, and that is why the Catholics support scientific research a lot today, even if they don't like the results. It was organized to weed out confirmation bias, falsified data, and instinctual alterations to the findings. It got us to the moon, created computers, allows us to fly, and a slew of other things, all done within 200 years, that's how old the scientific method is. In that short time it has opened our eyes to possibilities we never dreamed of, even in your drug induced haze you cannot come close to I, Robot (the book).
You mean biased confirmation don't you? Only the deluded would beleive we come from chaos, are ascending via "survival of the fittest" to reach a utopia of our own making which includes computers, airplanes and trips to the moon. Zowie!
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65883 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I can' as do many neurologists who I have talked to, developing AI requires a bit more understanding of the brain than working in a Burger King like you. Thinking is a result of chemical reactions within the organ called the brain, which is a collection of stable cells called neurons. These neurons process information much like our computers, but with a slightly more dynamic thread system that we cannot, as of yet, emulate perfectly in digital formats. The neurons, when starting out, all contain random weights, values, as one path of neurons results in positive results those weights increase accordingly, when they result in negative results they decrease accordingly. The scale of how much of an increase or decrease occurs is based on the total response of the complete complex organism, each cell is itself and organism you see. For example, a sociopath brain will not weigh in emotional responses, while an empathic brain will always weigh them in. A balanced brain weighs them in when appropriate. Then when the same situation arises the brain fires a shot through the neural pathways, the weights of each "guide" the direction of that information to, what it hopes, is the best resulting neurons to produce a response for the complex organism. Because the brain is a learning engine, these responses are not always going to result in desirable, or accurate, reactions, however, because it is a learning engine it adapts, should the complex organism survive.
Spare me the pretense. Your knowledge about anything extends only as far as you are able to Google.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65884 Dec 13, 2012
How exactly do you distinguish between your *subjective* evidence and a vivid imagination?
postscriptt wrote:
I'm asking *you*.

You don't know?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65885 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Spare me the pretense. Your knowledge about anything extends only as far as you are able to Google.
If true, then I have already demonstrated far more intelligence than you. Either way, you are an idiot.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65886 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If true, then I have already demonstrated far more intelligence than you. Either way, you are an idiot.
YOu have demonstrated a peculiar mental denseness and I suspect it's because of an information overload from all the googling you do.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#65887 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes practice and diligence to develop the skills necessary to venture inward. I can see why you adopted scientific dogma instead. It's easier to have someone tell you what to believe.
Is that what you think happens? Then you really have no idea what it takes to be a scientist. You have to put your neck on the line, making *testable* predictions of new phenomena or providing *testable* explanations of unexplained phenomena. You don't get to simply sit back and be passive like you do with metaphysics. Instead of sitting and gazing at ones navel, you actually ask nature what is going on. if you ask in the right way, you might get an answer.

But it really is so much easier to just sit and dream. i tis much harder to actually attempt to understand.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65888 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you don't distinguish them. You don't have to.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65889 Dec 13, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm asking *you*.
You don't know?
of course not. For PS, the two are the same thing. A vivid experience *is* reality for that mindset.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65890 Dec 13, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm asking *you*.
You don't know?
One is a tool, the other is reality.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65891 Dec 13, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you think happens? Then you really have no idea what it takes to be a scientist. You have to put your neck on the line, making *testable* predictions of new phenomena or providing *testable* explanations of unexplained phenomena. You don't get to simply sit back and be passive like you do with metaphysics. Instead of sitting and gazing at ones navel, you actually ask nature what is going on. if you ask in the right way, you might get an answer.
But it really is so much easier to just sit and dream. i tis much harder to actually attempt to understand.
You're not a scientist. You are a follower of science. You don't have to do anything but nod your head in agreement.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65892 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu have demonstrated a peculiar mental denseness and I suspect it's because of an information overload from all the googling you do.
Now you enter into conspiracy nuttery.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65893 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not a scientist. You are a follower of science. You don't have to do anything but nod your head in agreement.
There you go with more assertions yet no evidence to back them up.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65894 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you enter into conspiracy nuttery.
And this from a nutball who needs fables and fantasies and all those white coated scientists selling pretty packaged lies.
obama sucks

Denver, CO

#65895 Dec 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Changing your screen name doesn't boost your IQ. Your preacher is the guy who gives sermons on Sunday and tells you about NDEs being proof for God.
<quoted text>
I watch football on sunday. dingus.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#65896 Dec 13, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
And this from a nutball who needs fables and fantasies and all those white coated scientists selling pretty packaged lies.
Trying to explain metaphysical concepts to a bunch of clueless atheists is like trying to explain the combustion engine to a tribe of Toulambi villagers.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#65897 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Research continues to bring new insights in the new brain millennium. Neurons have a cell body, which contains extensions called axons that pass a message through an electrical impulse generating neural signals in split components. Encased in a protective skeletal structure, the sensory column segragates motor neurons that can alter amnesia in rats.
Does this make any sense? Neither do your comments. That's what happens when you cobble information from a web site and try to put it in your own words, fool!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr MUQ1 23,000
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Dave Nelson 230,104
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 1,403
Islam for peace, or violence? 5 hr Thinking 52
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Thinking 1,061
Man center of the universe. 11 hr hpcaban 88
Does Being 'Spiritual But Not Religious' Really... 11 hr hpcaban 4

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE