Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70634 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66186 Dec 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The burden of proof is on your side, not mine. You are the one claiming a new phenomenon that is in control of various situations, so *you* have to come up with the detailed theory that makes detailed predictions that can be tested. Until you can do that, you have nothing more than fantasy.
And yet science expects the world to accept its theories about a big bang and evolution at face value despite the lack of evidence that something comes from nothing and one species can magically turn into an entirely new species.

I've never doubted Intelligent Design exists, but you do and when you claim it does not them the onus lies with you to prove it.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66187 Dec 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an atheist, but I don't have any problem with people who speculate about religious matters.
Guess you're wrong.
I said "atheists' not you specifically, and here's my evidence that atheists are intolerant of religious speculation.

Skeptic: "You Creationists are so rubbish at basic research, no wonder nobody belies you useless liars."

Givemeliberty: "Catholics don't see Muhammad, Muslims do not see Jesus, Protestants don't see mother Mary and retards like you don't see reason."
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66188 Dec 21, 2012
Last but not least:

Kittenkoder: "As it should be, based on reality instead of myths."

Some random dude: "Anybody that would argue that gravity is not a force is arguing pure semantics. I would have a hard time wasting my intellectual energy on them."

Thinking: "Stupid cults like you believe any old bollocks."

etc. etc. etc.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66189 Dec 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But it can also be wrong.
What else is new? Scientific opinion, speculation and hypothesis can be wrong as well.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Experience does have to be interpreted and that interpretation can be seriously incorrect.
The same can be said of science and often its intepretation of testable evidence is incorrect hence the need for more and more theories. Experience is a fact and we all know what it is. How would you propose that experience be studied when you admit that it is untestable? Dismiss it entirely as too subjective because it can't be examined using the all hallowed scientific method?
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>So while the experience itself is untestable, the beliefs that derive from that experience need to be. As for bringing changes to a person's life; even falsehoods can do that.
Indeed. Heavier than air machines cannot fly. If the Wright brothers believed that one, you can imagine the results. The theory that the earth is increasing in volume was never actually proven wrong, it was simply replaced with the theory of plate techtonics because it sounded less fantastical. There used to be Martian canals on the red planet, remember? And scientist's busied themselves drawing detailed maps tracing their paths, and making wild speculations about possible origins, use and an intelligent species. Hell - that went on until well into the 20th century - until imaging technology shut down all that speculative chatter. Let's not forget the blank slate theory - the one that said we are all born no built-in personality traits or proclivities. Now there’s little doubt that a person’s EXPERIENCES have a huge impact on their disposition. There's more, much more but I think you get my drift.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>The question is whether you want a pleasant falsehood over an unpleasant reality. Or a falsehood that is easy to comprehend instead of a truth that is not.
Falsehood - schmalsehood, if one believes it's real - it is! Science has a record of many falsehoods that were accepted as legitimate facts in the past, and people behaved as it those falsehoods were real.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66190 Dec 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The decay of a muon? You cannot be serious. OK, we have a theory (quantum electrodynamics) that describes muons and when and how they decay. This theory has been tested in a wide variety of situations and has been verified in all of them. Furthermore, it does not require consciousness for any of its explanations.
Furthermore, actual testing concerning consciousness shows that very small time intervals cannot be perceived by conscious humans, and the time of decay of a muon is far below the level of perception.
These together show that consciousness is irrelevant to the decay of a muon.
Missed this one. What on earth do murons have to do with consciousness? You would have to establish a connection before you can declare that consciousness is inapplicable based on this theory.

Predictions have the nasty habit of being wrong - including scientific predictions.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66191 Dec 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why we require more than one person to investigate and attempt to interpret. often, there are several different interpretations produced by different people and the question becomes how to test between them. Without a method of testing, the question can remain open for decades until new technology allows better tests.
Just another way of saying science has no truths. At any given time, it has verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66192 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Just another way of saying science has no truths. At any given time, it has verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions.
So, admitting there are not truths is worse than pretending you have truths when truths don't exist. You prefer lying to honesty.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66193 Dec 21, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, admitting there are not truths is worse than pretending you have truths when truths don't exist. You prefer lying to honesty.
I've challenged your truths which you perceive as lying. Now why would I be lying if you concede there are no truths?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66194 Dec 21, 2012
How is that intolerance?

I've had a death threat on Topix and threats of bodily harm.
Who from?
US believers, and muslims of many countries.

Now that's intolerance.

At least you lot don't get to burn so many witches these days.
postscriptt wrote:
Last but not least:
Kittenkoder: "As it should be, based on reality instead of myths."
Some random dude: "Anybody that would argue that gravity is not a force is arguing pure semantics. I would have a hard time wasting my intellectual energy on them."
Thinking: "Stupid cults like you believe any old bollocks."
etc. etc. etc.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66195 Dec 21, 2012
Some people value believing in anything over what is right.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66196 Dec 21, 2012
Who says there are no truths?
I just don't know of any *exclusively* religious truths.
And neither do you.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I've challenged your truths which you perceive as lying. Now why would I be lying if you concede there are no truths?
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66197 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
How is that intolerance?
I've had a death threat on Topix and threats of bodily harm.
Who from?
US believers, and muslims of many countries.
Now that's intolerance.
At least you lot don't get to burn so many witches these days.
<quoted text>
Would those threats have anything to do with your intolerance? If we all believed in an eye for an eye as you seem to, the world would be rendered blind.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66198 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Who says there are no truths?
I just don't know of any *exclusively* religious truths.
And neither do you.
<quoted text>
The ten commandments. Would you consider them to be truths?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#66199 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
I said "atheists' not you specifically
So you made a mistake by implying *all* atheists, and you should have said "some atheists" instead.
postscriptt wrote:
and here's my evidence that atheists are intolerant of religious speculation.
Skeptic: "You Creationists are so rubbish at basic research, no wonder nobody belies you useless liars."
Skeptic isn't talking about "religious speculation". He's talking about the inability of so many creationists to do basic *scientific* research.
postscriptt wrote:
Givemeliberty: "Catholics don't see Muhammad, Muslims do not see Jesus, Protestants don't see mother Mary and retards like you don't see reason."
Nothing there about "religious speculation" either. Just Givemeliberty pointing out how each religion rejects the religious beliefs of other religions.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66200 Dec 21, 2012
Where do I espouse violence?

Yet believers often consign others to their imaginary hell or threaten personal harm.

As I said, the latter only seems to come from muslims or US believers.

Considering the recent events in Newtown, CT, perhaps you should dwell on this point.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Would those threats have anything to do with your intolerance? If we all believed in an eye for an eye as you seem to, the world would be rendered blind.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66201 Dec 21, 2012
No. They're orders.

A truth is something more like Newton's F=ma.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The ten commandments. Would you consider them to be truths?
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66202 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
No. They're orders.
A truth is something more like Newton's F=ma.
<quoted text>
Which idea would have more of an impact on your life personally? Newton's idea of gravity or an idea as old as dirt that forms the basis of many ethical systems around which societies have been built? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Explain why.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66203 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Honesty is not the same as "a truth." Now you are playing semantics, and not very well. A fact is not "a truth" and "the truth" is also not "a truth." You know this, unless you were using language you know nothing about, in which case you are bringing a spork to a gunfight.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66204 Dec 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
So you made a mistake by implying *all* atheists, and you should have said "some atheists" instead.
<quoted text>
Skeptic isn't talking about "religious speculation". He's talking about the inability of so many creationists to do basic *scientific* research.
<quoted text>
Nothing there about "religious speculation" either. Just Givemeliberty pointing out how each religion rejects the religious beliefs of other religions.
I said all atheists for a reason. Your suggestion that I made a mistake is your opinion, but it was not my intention. It was a set up and you fell for it.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66205 Dec 21, 2012
Gravity is unrelenting. Ethical systems change.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Which idea would have more of an impact on your life personally? Newton's idea of gravity or an idea as old as dirt that forms the basis of many ethical systems around which societies have been built? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Explain why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 min Thinking 18,520
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 43 min Chazofsaints 5,694
A Universe from Nothing? 46 min Richardfs 515
Atheism is a mental illness 2 hr Thinking 10
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Thinking 43,194
News Why I quit atheism 6 hr Chazofsaints 705
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Chazofsaints 3,844
Good arguments against Christianity 6 hr Thinking 205
More from around the web