Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65750 Dec 10, 2012
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>I can't explain it, the bible states that all will be revealed in the end. But I do know this, when I chose to live under his leadership, my life has changed profoundly, I have almost been granted everything that I have asked for, from family to career and I couldn't be happier.:) Call it what you will, but I am sticking to believing and most that say they just believe but do not really adhere to the gospels , I hate to say , live miserable existences, from drugs to alcoholism, etc. I am not saying I am a perfect christian, but I do succeed at most endeavors that I seek, and I always pray and ask God for his guidance, plus I give to three different charities, because of my successes through him and it looks like I am having another door open for me career wise in January, which will triple what I make now, so that I may be able to give more. So, again call it what you will, I am sticking with my game plan, which is believing and serving the lord. Oh and by the way, have a Merry Christmas!
You just admitted that you both hate your own existence, and that you only wish for the world to end. The first 4(5) words are your confession, you just want it to happen, you don't even care about the fact that human society is the best it has ever been, ever, since the time we walked on two legs until now, we have never been more peaceful, healthy, and secure.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65751 Dec 10, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are wrong. many of the processes in the brain are spread out around the brain. but we can locate the seat of emotions (limbic system with some frontal involvement) and thought (mostly frontal lobes). And so yes, we do know these are physical processes.
You've offered many scientific opinions but have yet to provide conclusive evidence to support any of them. There is no neurophysiological research which "conclusively" shows that the higher levels of mind are located in brain tissue. The fact that science cannot control human behavior should be your first clue. If it could, crime would not exist.

Like your atheistic compadres. you're not defending science, you're defending atheism using unproven scientific theories as a smokescreen to justify your choice.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65752 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is still better than using obvious mythology, such as the bible, as justification for heinous and horrible acts.
While mythology cannot be used to justify immoral behavior, neither can amoral objectivism. Science knows when it steps over the line, it can see the results. Using animals in biomedical research for example produces no benefits for humans yet science continues to engage is this horrific activity. The deliberate avoidance of ethical issues in the name of objectivisim is no justification for immoral behavior.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#65753 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
"The Intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein
"The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms – this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness”.- Albert Einstein (The Merging of Spirit and Science)
Consciousness forms matter. It is not the other way around.
There are many gradations of matter that scientists do not perceive and many of these particles move faster than the speed of light. Light represents only a portion of an even greater spectrum and when scientists study its properties, they can only investigate light as it intrudes into the three dimensional system. The same applies to the study of the structure of matter, or form.
There are universes composed of such faster than light particles. Some of these share the same space as our own universe but they are not perceived unless these particles are slowed sufficiently to experience them as matter.
Some of these particles (emanations from consciousness) drastically alter their velocity, appearing sometimes at our slower rate, usually in a cyclic fashion. The inner vortex of these particles have a much greater velocity than the orbiting portions. The intensity is the core (feeling and intent) around which these electromagnetic emanations of consciousness form. The more intense the core, the sooner the physical materialization. Coordinate points magnify or intensify the behavior, the latent spontaneity inherent within the properties of physical matter. They act as psychic generators.
The intensity of the thought or emotion determines the characteristics of these emanations of consciousness. As certain ranges are reached, they are propelled into physical actualization. This is how consciousness becomes matter. This is the spirit made flesh.
Liar, lying about Einstein.

Einstein was atheist:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.

You Creationists are so rubbish at basic research, no wonder nobody belies you useless liars.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#65754 Dec 10, 2012
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite your rosy critique and wild expectations, modern medicine has also maimed and killed millions of unsuspecting victims under the guise of curing them. And more significantly, our species managed to survive before the advent of medical technology.
The power of belief. The theory that our thoughts can heal is perhaps as old as the practice of healing itself. Prayer and faith healing has helped billions of people since time immemorial. From a scientific perspective, faith healing is unexplained, incomprehensible, and should not work. Yet it does work. The same is true of drug placebo effects. Scientists recognize that there are placebo effects but have trouble accounting for them.
Medical science takes a materialistic stand in opposition to the non-physical; it is predicated upon a denial of the relevance of spirit. The irony here is that the church of Modern Medicine assumes the authority and function of a religious system but refuses to account for the role that the spiritual dimension plays in human health.
In its quest for objectivity the Church of Modern Medicine has rejected its spiritual roots and lost sight of its humanity. It cannot be but a reflection of the culture from which it has emerged. It arrogantly rejects the wisdom of thousands of years of human history, is fragmented to the point of dissociation, devoid of common sense, preoccupied with short-term material goals, slave to its financial overlords, and utterly lacking in the requisite spiritual knowledge that would enable it to find its way out of its self-imposed foolishness.
http://www.naturalnews.com/031589_modern_medi...
You're full of sh*t and have no proof of god. Before you try and attack science, a subject that you clearly don't understand, try proving the god you're trying to lie to us about, there's a good dishonest religious drone.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65755 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
While mythology cannot be used to justify immoral behavior, neither can amoral objectivism. Science knows when it steps over the line, it can see the results. Using animals in biomedical research for example produces no benefits for humans yet science continues to engage is this horrific activity. The deliberate avoidance of ethical issues in the name of objectivisim is no justification for immoral behavior.
Would you rather they tested on humans?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65756 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and the first bananas had too many seeds for us to eat, the others did not exist before humans did, we know when they existed, it was long after humans did. You must be a troll, or a Poe, because even Ray Comfort isn't this stupid. He even did a backtrack and tried to pretend he knew that when it was pointed out to him.
You provided links to two photos of the same plant species cobbled from googled images and now you're stuck trying to explain how these photos represent the theory of evolution. The variety commonly available at most grocery stores come from sterile triploid hybrids. Fruits that develop parthenocarpically are typically seedless. They can occur naturally although less frequently than a variety of types within a plant species developed through horticulural crossbreeding, which in not an example of evolution. It is an example of your egregious lack of comprehension however.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65757 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You provided links to two photos of the same plant species cobbled from googled images and now you're stuck trying to explain how these photos represent the theory of evolution. The variety commonly available at most grocery stores come from sterile triploid hybrids. Fruits that develop parthenocarpically are typically seedless. They can occur naturally although less frequently than a variety of types within a plant species developed through horticulural crossbreeding, which in not an example of evolution. It is an example of your egregious lack of comprehension however.
Same plant species? Are you really that blind?
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65758 Dec 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar, lying about Einstein.
Einstein was atheist:
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
You Creationists are so rubbish at basic research, no wonder nobody belies you useless liars.
Reread the quote. Einstein does not refer to a personal god.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65759 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you rather they tested on humans?
They do.

http://listverse.com/2008/03/14/top-10-evil-h...
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65760 Dec 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You're full of sh*t and have no proof of god. Before you try and attack science, a subject that you clearly don't understand, try proving the god you're trying to lie to us about, there's a good dishonest religious drone.
Definintely an exemplary example of overt anti-religious bigotry. This must be your ward's computer hour. LOL!
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65761 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Same plant species? Are you really that blind?
Blaming others for your own myopia won't cut it. You got caught pretending to know what you're talking about. Moted.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#65762 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Reread the quote. Einstein does not refer to a personal god.
“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this”~ Albert Einstein

“Nobody, certainly, will deny that the idea of the existence of an omnipotent, just, and omnibeneficent personal God is able to accord man solace, help, and guidance; also, by virtue of its simplicity it is accessible to the most undeveloped mind. But, on the other hand, there are decisive weaknesses attached to this idea in itself, which have been painfully felt since the beginning of history.””~ Albert Einstein

“A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.”~ Albert Einstein
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65763 Dec 10, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this”~ Albert Einstein
“Nobody, certainly, will deny that the idea of the existence of an omnipotent, just, and omnibeneficent personal God is able to accord man solace, help, and guidance; also, by virtue of its simplicity it is accessible to the most undeveloped mind. But, on the other hand, there are decisive weaknesses attached to this idea in itself, which have been painfully felt since the beginning of history.””~ Albert Einstein
“A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.”~ Albert Einstein
There are different ways to express a belief in a greater reality. Einstein was a pantheist, or someone who believes that God is creation. I happen to share that belief.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65764 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
Not legally in the US and most civilized countries as well. Some of what's on that list you posted is really just studying, not actual testing of chemicals on them.

Anyhow, I need to order a new batch of death row inmates, I'll be back in a bit.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65765 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
There are different ways to express a belief in a greater reality. Einstein was a pantheist, or someone who believes that God is creation. I happen to share that belief.
"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein
While that's all fine and dandy, and really it's actually something of a lie you are telling since you clearly don't even know scientific information and often I see you post religious nonsense as a response, what order?

Einstein couldn't understand quantum physics because it opposes this whole "order" concept, things only appear solid, ordered, and coherent. Get down to the atomic level and beyond, you lose all sense of direction, all sense. He denied quantum physics, yet today we use it a lot, and it helps us advance a lot. There is no order, there is merely expected. We know how larger things react, and they tend to do as expected, thus why we have developed laws for that behavior, but on the atomic or subatomic level we are still barely to comprehend how these small particles behave and why they behave that way, they are, by definition, chaos.
postscriptt

Santa Fe, NM

#65766 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
While that's all fine and dandy, and really it's actually something of a lie you are telling since you clearly don't even know scientific information and often I see you post religious nonsense as a response, what order?
Einstein couldn't understand quantum physics because it opposes this whole "order" concept, things only appear solid, ordered, and coherent. Get down to the atomic level and beyond, you lose all sense of direction, all sense. He denied quantum physics, yet today we use it a lot, and it helps us advance a lot. There is no order, there is merely expected. We know how larger things react, and they tend to do as expected, thus why we have developed laws for that behavior, but on the atomic or subatomic level we are still barely to comprehend how these small particles behave and why they behave that way, they are, by definition, chaos.
You need not be scientific to use your intuition. You need not be a slave to dialectics to understand the nature of reality. Until you have put in an appreciable amount of time studying (not googling) religions and philosophies, your opinions on the subject will always resemble something you haphazardly copied and pasted.

Einstein was a "mental physicist" who developed the ability to merge his consciousness with the consciousness of other forms. He understood far more than he could actually articulate in a way that his lessor informed colleagues could comprehend. His understanding of the universe and theirs were light years apart, in other words.

Science's idea of development and growth implies a single chronological march towards an end,(whether perfection of extinction), which is why it's difficult for scientist's to grasp the kind of order that actually pervades. An end presupposes that point beyond which development is impossible, and creativity stops. Ultimately a completed or finished God, or All That Is, would end up smothering its creation. For there would be an order in which only predestination could rule, each part automatically following some predetermined fate. What science calls chaos is freedom. The freedom of creativity that is characteristic of God and that guarantees its infinite becoming.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65767 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You need not be scientific to use your intuition. You need not be a slave to dialectics to understand the nature of reality. Until you have put in an appreciable amount of time studying (not googling) religions and philosophies, your opinions on the subject will always resemble something you haphazardly copied and pasted.
Einstein was a "mental physicist" who developed the ability to merge his consciousness with the consciousness of other forms. He understood far more than he could actually articulate in a way that his lessor informed colleagues could comprehend. His understanding of the universe and theirs were light years apart, in other words.
Science's idea of development and growth implies a single chronological march towards an end,(whether perfection of extinction), which is why it's difficult for scientist's to grasp the kind of order that actually pervades. An end presupposes that point beyond which development is impossible, and creativity stops. Ultimately a completed or finished God, or All That Is, would end up smothering its creation. For there would be an order in which only predestination could rule, each part automatically following some predetermined fate. What science calls chaos is freedom. The freedom of creativity that is characteristic of God and that guarantees its infinite becoming.
Intuition, in other words "common sense," tells you that there are monsters in the shadows. It's an instinctual response that was evolved as a means to protect us from the actual monsters there, like lions, tigers, etc. The instinct is outdated, we no longer need it as most shadows contain nothing but inane objects now. But the instinct leads to confirmation bias, confirmation bias leads to inaccurate results, and will make you inherently wrong more often than not. This is why the scientific method works to eliminate the use of such flaws, and it is a flaw today. The instinct tells you to fight or flight when often either will get you killed in the modern day, as well.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#65768 Dec 10, 2012
John wrote:
<quoted text>
If Rose had a conscience there would be evidence of it.
There is no evidence Rose has a conscience.
We can conclude Rose has no conscience.
Will there ever be an antitheist willing to address their ridiculous nothing? It's indefensible bigotry. Not one evidence backed accountable position has been offered.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
Again, John, you avoid debating my position.
Stump John, ask him to debate.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#65769 Dec 10, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You've offered many scientific opinions but have yet to provide conclusive evidence to support any of them. There is no neurophysiological research which "conclusively" shows that the higher levels of mind are located in brain tissue.
But there is plenty that shows it beyond a reasonable doubt.
The fact that science cannot control human behavior should be your first clue. If it could, crime would not exist.
You have got to be kidding. Simply understanding that thoughts and emotions are physical processes in the brain doesn't automatically mean we can control them at the level of precision that would affect crime rates. For one thing, it would require some sort of brain implant that knows the 'language' of the brain in detail and affects the mechanisms in a desired direction. We are NOWHERE close to this even though we know where in the brain (not the specific neurons!) the processes happen.
Like your atheistic compadres. you're not defending science, you're defending atheism using unproven scientific theories as a smokescreen to justify your choice.
Garbage. You are simply ignoring the scientific evidence accumulated over the last century showing where in the brain things happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 5 min BeHereNow 101
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 min MUQ1 22,233
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 45 min KiMare 227,562
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 1 hr Thinking 4,095
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Reason Personified 466
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 6 hr Patrick 762
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 hr Thinking 77
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE