Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70631 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#66048 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Red shift anomalies say these suppositions are far from settled. Further, Lorentz transformations while they may apply to matter, do not apply to massless space.
You think intuition is an invalid way to access information because you accept the silly notion that reason and intuition are polarites - and must always be at odds with each other. Yet they come from the same source. They are degrees of consciousness utilizing the same type of energy and focus required in analytical thought. They are simply different applications. This falsely perceived dichotomie is reflected in the opposition between science and religion that often manifests as a war between rational thought and so-called irrational faith. Nobody is 100% intellectual, or 100% intuitive because in our natural state, these two aspects of consciousness are blended.
In no way do I think that reason and intuition are at odds with each other. Intuition is essential for coming up with the original hypotheses that are to be tested. It is essential for the really deep insights. But it is not reliable. The goal of intuition is to have 100 ideas: 99 are bad and do not pan out, but 1 is good and eventually works. Without intuition, you will never get that 1 good idea. But intuition alone gets lost in the 99 bad ideas. That is why we need to *test* the ideas we get and learn to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones. The ultimate judge of good or bad here is agreement with observation.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66049 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Red shift anomalies say these suppositions are far from settled. Further, Lorentz transformations while they may apply to matter, do not apply to massless space.
If you are talking abut Arp's material, it has been shown to be simple alignments in the sky which must happen with a certain probability. As for the Lorentz transformations, it is clear from what you said that you have no idea what one is, let alone how they are used.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66050 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, self-delusion through self-inspection.
I mean deep contemplation. What you describe is what happens when a maggot dick plays with himself in front of mirror.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66051 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are talking abut Arp's material, it has been shown to be simple alignments in the sky which must happen with a certain probability. As for the Lorentz transformations, it is clear from what you said that you have no idea what one is, let alone how they are used.
You struck out on your attempt to redefine the big bang theory. Give the Lorenz transformations a shot. I am curious to see how you twist and garble that information to fit your pet theory.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66052 Dec 17, 2012
I believe you're a nobjockey.
John wrote:
Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost three years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Three years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 63, 360 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True science that is repeatable and observable.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66053 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
In no way do I think that reason and intuition are at odds with each other. Intuition is essential for coming up with the original hypotheses that are to be tested. It is essential for the really deep insights. But it is not reliable. The goal of intuition is to have 100 ideas: 99 are bad and do not pan out, but 1 is good and eventually works. Without intuition, you will never get that 1 good idea. But intuition alone gets lost in the 99 bad ideas. That is why we need to *test* the ideas we get and learn to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones. The ultimate judge of good or bad here is agreement with observation.
Say what? Now I know you are grasping at straws. How can something be essential yet considered unreliable? You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66054 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what? Now I know you are grasping at straws. How can something be essential yet considered unreliable? You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
Read what I said again. Intuition comes up with many ideas. Some of them are good, but most are bad. Testing and reason separate the good from the bad.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66055 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean deep contemplation. What you describe is what happens when a maggot dick plays with himself in front of mirror.
Put away the mirror and look at the real world for a change.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66056 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
You struck out on your attempt to redefine the big bang theory. Give the Lorenz transformations a shot. I am curious to see how you twist and garble that information to fit your pet theory.
General relativity models space-time as a manifold with a pseudo-metric of signature (1 1 1 -1), which means the local symmetries are Lorentz transformations.

Nothing I have said disagrees with this.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66057 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
General relativity models space-time as a manifold with a pseudo-metric of signature (1 1 1 -1), which means the local symmetries are Lorentz transformations.
Nothing I have said disagrees with this.
That's a definition. Explain how the Lorentz transformations demonstrates the big bang theory's assertion that something comes from nothing.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66058 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Put away the mirror and look at the real world for a change.
The real world or your fabrication of reality?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#66059 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a definition. Explain how the Lorentz transformations demonstrates the big bang theory's assertion that something comes from nothing.
Dude! Haven't you figured it out yet? You've been debating a troll. Polymath is Kittenkoder. There is no mistaking her brand of illogical deduction no matter what identity she's using.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66060 Dec 17, 2012
digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude! Haven't you figured it out yet? You've been debating a troll. Polymath is Kittenkoder. There is no mistaking her brand of illogical deduction no matter what identity she's using.
I suspected that might be the case. It was only when she claimed to be a research mathematician and a physicist with a fetish for astrophysics, that I knew I was dealing with a topix forum nutball.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66061 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't. Why would you think that it does? Do you even know what a Lorentz transformation is?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66062 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspected that might be the case. It was only when she claimed to be a research mathematician and a physicist with a fetish for astrophysics, that I knew I was dealing with a topix forum nutball.
I am not Kitten Koder. I am a male, heterosexual, married, professional mathematician. I have passed the qualifying exams in physics for a PhD, but have not done a dissertation in that subject yet.

Believe whatever you want. Once again, it shows your beliefs don't have to be true.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#66063 Dec 17, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
The real world or your fabrication of reality?
The real world. In other words, NOT your fabrication of reality.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66064 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't. Why would you think that it does? Do you even know what a Lorentz transformation is?
Obviously you don't or you would have taken the challenge. Hint: Gravity and inertia are NOT the only forces at work.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66065 Dec 17, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not Kitten Koder. I am a male, heterosexual, married, professional mathematician. I have passed the qualifying exams in physics for a PhD, but have not done a dissertation in that subject yet.
Believe whatever you want. Once again, it shows your beliefs don't have to be true.
It's okay. A trip to your psychiatrist should make things alright again.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#66066 Dec 17, 2012
Wanna buy some magic beans?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, no, you don't have a theory.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66067 Dec 18, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
It's okay. A trip to your psychiatrist should make things alright again.
I am flattered you think I am him, but alas, I do not has his comprehension in physics. I am a tech engineer, software specifically, all the physics I know are from the simulation programs I wrote for people more into that field than I am. But thanks for the compliment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 min Eagle 12 21,427
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 14 min Eagle 12 257,166
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 1 hr Eagle 12 454
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr scientia potentia... 45,566
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr scientia potentia... 20,334
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 hr Thinking 407
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 558
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 10,377
More from around the web