Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
62,961 - 62,980 of 70,959 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 7

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

emperorjohn wrote:
Atheism will soon replace religion.
You are fighting a losing battle. On both intellectual and philosophical levels, materialist explanations for our mysterious human existence settles nothing. Proves nothing.

"God [consciousness] formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life. And man became a living soul." Materialism will never explain these words because scientists cannot test metaphor or consciousness in a laboratory.

The world was lost in pagan immorality until the Christ concept changed all that. Obviously you barbaric, knuckle dragging philistines didn't get the message. In the 21st century, instead of practicing dark malevolent rituals on each other by firelight, you are content to spread your Darwinian manure all over the Internet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious liar with no proof of god, lying to intelligent athiests who have already proven you wrong.
Atheism is not a fact of experience, or even a deduction of logic. It's a choice based on a fear of the unknown.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
And therefore the earth is 6000 years old.. F*ck off creationist scum.
For all science knows, this is the second earth. The asteroid belt is what's left of the first one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
That religion was such an effective means of control and Christians were so eager to follow the tenets of Martin Luther in the extermination of the Jews IS just as damning, whether Hitler himself believe or not is kind of icing on the cake.
I don't really know, I can just go by what his writing say. You on the other hand apparently claim some magical insight into his inner motivations.
<quoted text>
And the classic ad hominem. Such a fine example of Christian hate.
You make a lot noise about the ad hominem approach and then use a collection of scientific prejudices as a means to belittle religion and think you are providing proof that God does not exist. You're not a hedonist. You're a hypocrite.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we should just tell all the biologists to just stop their research and ask you for their answers.
No, wait, you're not a biologist. You're not even a practicing scientist in any discipline, let alone any of the Earth sciences.
So why should anybody care what your uninformed opinions is.
I'd much rather listen to the biologists that have been studying, researching, testing, and VERIFYING evolution biology for the past 150 years.
These are the people who are getting better and better at being able to predict how biology actually works. These are the people who are improving food production through higher crop yields and animal husbandry techniques. These are the people who are improving everybody health and developing the next generation of biological solutions.
You on the other hand have an agenda, so your opinion is less than worthless.
As long as you expect others to provide answers to your questions, you risk being led astray. As it is, you're a victim of science's mass delusion and too stupid to realize it. Take postscript's advice. Learn how to use the natural abilities of your own consciousness to find answers.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you expect others to provide answers to your questions, you risk being led astray. As it is, you're a victim of science's mass delusion and too stupid to realize it. Take postscript's advice. Learn how to use the natural abilities of your own consciousness to find answers.
No, I read and study and challenge myself to remain scientific literate. That's how I know you're not.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not a fact of experience, or even a deduction of logic. It's a choice based on a fear of the unknown.
Now that's funny!

So atheism is the arrogant belief that the entire universe with its billions of galaxies was NOT created just for us.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
...As it is, you're a victim of science's mass delusion and too stupid to realize it.....
And yet you're typing on a computer developed through this mass delusion of science. And it's using the internet, another development of this mass delusion of science. All the modern processed foods, medicines, cars, planes,... well, pretty much every aspect of your life is a product of this mass delusion of science. That is, unless you're Amish.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I read and study and challenge myself to remain scientific literate. That's how I know you're not.
According to Dawkins, you are a no more than a robotic vehicle blindly programmed to preserve your selfish genes. How could you possibly "know" anything of value?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you're typing on a computer developed through this mass delusion of science. And it's using the internet, another development of this mass delusion of science. All the modern processed foods, medicines, cars, planes,... well, pretty much every aspect of your life is a product of this mass delusion of science. That is, unless you're Amish.
None of which has anything to do with explaining the origin of man, or the meaning of life.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's funny!
So atheism is the arrogant belief that the entire universe with its billions of galaxies was NOT created just for us.
That is your fable, not mine. The siren call of objectivity has rendered science a dead technology and left its genetically programmed minions but remnants of monkeys taking up space for a brief time on a tiny speck in the corner of infinity.

The bleak and muddled creed of every materialist atheist says there is no God, nothing beyond physical life, nothing out there, no connection whatsoever. Only the seriously deluded would accept this load of baloney as truth.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question! Kitten routinely confuses mutations and adaptation within a species with evolution. There is much debate in science in fact about what constitutes a species and what is sufficient in experiments to demonstrate evolution.
The evolutionary evidence presented to date regarding her list of creatures is at best inconclusive. The fruit fly however is the perfect test subject because of its short life span and four pairs of chromosomes. Despite experiments and a hundred years of opportunity, no evidence of evolution has been demonstrated.
http://suite101.com/article/fruit-flies-and-e...
Species are defined to be populations that can interbreed. For two populations to be of different species, interbreeding would not exist. And yes, we *have* produced new species of fruitflies in the lab under this definition.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes no sense.
Belief in god counters logic.
The Bronze Age goat herders who wrote the buy-bull made up god to explain things they didn't understand, and to control people. They messed up in many places, they had plants growing before there was a sun.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are fighting a losing battle. On both intellectual and philosophical levels, materialist explanations for our mysterious human existence settles nothing. Proves nothing.
"God [consciousness] formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life. And man became a living soul." Materialism will never explain these words because scientists cannot test metaphor or consciousness in a laboratory.
The world was lost in pagan immorality until the Christ concept changed all that. Obviously you barbaric, knuckle dragging philistines didn't get the message. In the 21st century, instead of practicing dark malevolent rituals on each other by firelight, you are content to spread your Darwinian manure all over the Internet.
You can't even prove that Jesus existed.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Quite right, the proof for a historical Jesus of Nazareth is so light it's comical. The passage in Josephus is a forgery and Tacitus is even later and is merely commenting on Christians.

But for fun let's accept these two's brief mentions of Jesus and forget the obvious forgeries.

They both mention Hercules several times. So if this is the proof Christholes want to wave in everyone's faces they must also accept Hercules and Zeus exist as well.

Hell even famous christian hero and apologetic Justin martyr mentions Hercules, Zeus, Mithra, amongst other deities.

Ok Christians who wants to be the first to admit Hercules was a real person?:)
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Adaptive mutation is evolutionary apologetics.
Once again, there is no proof that small scale changes within a species produce the massive changes necessary to form entirely new creatures, which the theory of evolution requires and which is why there are large gaps in the fossil record.
Where did I mention anything about "adaptive mutation?" Is that another of your creatard made up concepts?

I pointing to things we saw evolve, witnessed evolve, and you jump back to the "gaps in the fossil record" canard. You are a complete idiot or so dishonest you care more about being right than discussion.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
None of which has anything to do with explaining the origin of man, or the meaning of life.
Actually, it does.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I mention anything about "adaptive mutation?" Is that another of your creatard made up concepts?
I pointing to things we saw evolve, witnessed evolve, and you jump back to the "gaps in the fossil record" canard. You are a complete idiot or so dishonest you care more about being right than discussion.
Adaptations and mutations within a species in not evolutuion in the traditional Darwinian sense. None of the species you listed evolved into entirely new species. The only one who is confused about this issue is you.

The fruit fly remains a fruit fly to this day despite experimentation.

"Out of 400 mutations that have been provided by Drosophila melanogaster, there is not one that can be called a new species. It does not seem, therefore, that the central problem of evolution can be solved by mutations."*Maurice Caullery, Genetics and Heredity (1964), p. 119.

By inducing mutations, scientists have merely produced weaker offspring.

"The clear-cut mutants of Drosophila, with which so much of the classical research in genetics was done, are almost without exception inferior to wild-type flies in viability, fertility, longevity." -Theodosius Dobzhansky, Heredity and the Nature of Man (1964), p. 126.

"Richard Goldschmidt fell into despair. The changes, he lamented, were so hopelessly micro [insignificant] that if a thousand mutations were combined in one specimen, there would still be no new species." -Norman Macbeth, Darwin Retried (1971), p. 33.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You are pathetically clueless.

Christ was a common name, so when I say there was a man named Christ involved in the events of those days, I do not mean to say that he was the biblical Christ. His life was one of those lives that were finally used to compose the composite image of the biblical Christ.

The world of events springs from the world of ideas. The mass psyche was seeking a change, an impetus, a new organization. The idea of a redeemer was hardly new, but ancient in many traditions. That part of the world was filled with would-be messiahs, self proclaimed prophets, and so forth, and in those terms it was only a matter of time before man's spiritual and psychic desires played out in a physical event.

There is nothing that happened in those times that is not happening now however. We have numberless gurus, great psychics, and people who seemingly perform miracles (and some have). So there were in those days some rather disconnected events that served as a focus point for psychic activity.

People wanted to believe, and their belief changed the course of history. It doesn't matter that the events as described in the Bible never happened, the belief happened. And the belief was man's response to intuitional spiritual knowledge.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

digitaldan wrote:
<quoted text>
Adaptations and mutations within a species in not evolutuion in the traditional Darwinian sense. None of the species you listed evolved into entirely new species. The only one who is confused about this issue is you.
The fruit fly remains a fruit fly to this day despite experimentation.
"Out of 400 mutations that have been provided by Drosophila melanogaster, there is not one that can be called a new species. It does not seem, therefore, that the central problem of evolution can be solved by mutations."*Maurice Caullery, Genetics and Heredity (1964), p. 119.
By inducing mutations, scientists have merely produced weaker offspring.
"The clear-cut mutants of Drosophila, with which so much of the classical research in genetics was done, are almost without exception inferior to wild-type flies in viability, fertility, longevity." -Theodosius Dobzhansky, Heredity and the Nature of Man (1964), p. 126.
"Richard Goldschmidt fell into despair. The changes, he lamented, were so hopelessly micro [insignificant] that if a thousand mutations were combined in one specimen, there would still be no new species." -Norman Macbeth, Darwin Retried (1971), p. 33.
http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/dc/2e/ar...
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17o9k1jy58big...

If those look the same to you, you need your eyes examined.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 31 min Aura Mytha 224,087
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr DonPanic 21,384
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr religionisillness 361
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 11 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 11 hr Patrick 3
•••
•••