Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65367 Dec 1, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
If science doesn't claim truth then what does it claim.. according to you?
Not merely according to me, but according to others. As H.J. Muller wrote in 1959, "When we say a thing is a fact, then, we only mean that its probability is an extremely high one: so high that we are not bothered by doubt about it and are ready to act accordingly."

Tampa, FL

#65368 Dec 1, 2012
The Earth was once incapable of supporting life.
Later, the Earth was capable of supporting life and in fact did support life.
Therefore, life on Earth came from non-life.
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>As usual,
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/11/...
...I see "if, might, could, and presumably" describing someone's currently, untested mathematical model describing how they think life "may" have come from nonliving matter. It lacks snap, crackle and pop. Oh yeah, and fizz.
xD
I notice that you've provided no alternative scientific theory as to where life came from, if not from non-life. Why is that?

Tampa, FL

#65369 Dec 1, 2012
What is the evidence that non-living matter is conscious?
postscript wrote:
Science can't disprove that consciousness creates form. That's the evidence.
That consciousness can create form does not allow us to conclude that whatever creates form is conscious.

Your argument is like saying that because poison kills things that if something is killed it must have been done by poison.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65370 Dec 1, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
What is the evidence that non-living matter is conscious?
<quoted text>
That consciousness can create form does not allow us to conclude that whatever creates form is conscious.
Of course it does.

Definition Consciousness (Webster)-
a : the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself
b : the state or fact of being CONSCIOUS of an external object, state, or fact
c : Awareness

Tampa, FL

#65371 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
Of course it does.
How does anything in that definition tell us that whatever creates form is conscious?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#65372 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what YOU imagine - not what science knows.
To the atheist, this life is all there is. That's why they are afraid of dying because it means total annihilation. For the religious, living has a purpose and dying is not an end. For the atheist, it's fade to black. Everything they accomplish in life of personal value is of no consequence. At death there will be nothing - as if their living never happened. For all life is worth to the atheist, he may as well live it as a toadstool.
More lies from the Creationists about atheists while still being unable to prove the god they lie about every single day.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#65373 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it does.
There's no such thing as god and you've got no evidence to back up your lies.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65374 Dec 1, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
How does anything in that definition tell us that whatever creates form is conscious?
The word "aware" should be your first clue.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65375 Dec 1, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no such thing as god and you've got no evidence to back up your lies.
That's neither here nor there when science offers no evidence to prove that life sprang from dead matter and transformed itself into a myriad of different species.

Science represents but one single lens through which you focus. You interpret events you perceive through this lens alone. So entranced is your concentration, that when you wonder about reality in general, you automatically confine your questions to science's definitions and descriptions of physical reality. True reality is far more diverse, far richer and unimaginable than you or science can presently comprehend.

There is not just one country on our planet, or one planet in our solar system. Likewise there is an infinite variety of probable universes, far more vast that those aspects of the physical universe with which scientists are familiar. Often scientific answers have no meaning outside of our physical system.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65376 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
That's neither here nor there when science offers no evidence to prove that life sprang from dead matter and transformed itself into a myriad of different species.
Science represents but one single lens through which you focus. You interpret events you perceive through this lens alone. So entranced is your concentration, that when you wonder about reality in general, you automatically confine your questions to science's definitions and descriptions of physical reality. True reality is far more diverse, far richer and unimaginable than you or science can presently comprehend.
There is not just one country on our planet, or one planet in our solar system. Likewise there is an infinite variety of probable universes, far more vast that those aspects of the physical universe with which scientists are familiar. Often scientific answers have no meaning outside of our physical system.
You are purposefully remaining ignorant. There was a time there was no life, no there is life, life had to come into existence somehow. You are made up of dead matter, is carbon alive? Is oxygen alive? Is hydrogen alive? You are made of these things in abundance, are all those atoms alive before they get consumed? What about when they are expelled? What is the actual difference between "living" atoms and "nonliving" atoms?

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#65378 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what YOU imagine - not what science knows.
To the atheist, this life is all there is. That's why they are afraid of dying because it means total annihilation. For the religious, living has a purpose and dying is not an end. For the atheist, it's fade to black. Everything they accomplish in life of personal value is of no consequence. At death there will be nothing - as if their living never happened. For all life is worth to the atheist, he may as well live it as a toadstool.
Don't think Christians are afraid of dying? LOL. They believe in god and heaven BECAUSE they are afraid of dying.
Also, Buddhists are atheists, they believe in a life after this one.

North Hollywood, CA

#65379 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Life wasn't always here, now it's here. So, it had to come from non living matter. And there is plenty of evidence to support evolution.
postscript wrote:
And you know this...how?
Independent

Alice, TX

#65380 Dec 1, 2012
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text> For some reason this pop up. So let me ask you a question what facts do you have that your god is the true one when over three thousands are out there to choose from? How do you know you made the correct choice? Why do you reject all the other gods? Do you have any proof their god is not just as possible as yours? Or are you so igotistical to insist all the millions of people who have believed in their gods are wrong and your god is the right one? Go ahead.
Proove it.
Alone one time in Army bootcamp, I asked for God's assurance, I felt a presence that can only be explained as divine, full of love. From then on, I was "hooked" on God. Can't or do not need to explain anything, if it is good for me, then that is enough. Another time about three years ago, my wife, was robbed at her place of employment, these two black men, jumped the counter and forcibly held her down, while they looted the cash drawer. She said she felt calmness and peace, despite such a terrifying experience, she is a changed woman and loves and serves her God faithfully everyday of the week. By the way, she fought back and won against these two hoodrats! How do you explain that? She was able to outwit and out muscle two men, enough proof to me that God takes care of his own.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#65381 Dec 1, 2012
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>Alone one time in Army bootcamp, I asked for God's assurance, I felt a presence that can only be explained as divine, full of love. From then on, I was "hooked" on God. Can't or do not need to explain anything, if it is good for me, then that is enough. Another time about three years ago, my wife, was robbed at her place of employment, these two black men, jumped the counter and forcibly held her down, while they looted the cash drawer. She said she felt calmness and peace, despite such a terrifying experience, she is a changed woman and loves and serves her God faithfully everyday of the week. By the way, she fought back and won against these two hoodrats! How do you explain that? She was able to outwit and out muscle two men, enough proof to me that God takes care of his own.
Tell that to all the god-fearing parents who lose their children to terminal illnesses every day. Tell it to the people all over the world starving and praying for food. Yeah, you're more special than all of them.

(PS: your wife's feeling and 'amazing' ability is called adrenaline.)
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65382 Dec 1, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are purposefully remaining ignorant. There was a time there was no life, no there is life, life had to come into existence somehow. You are made up of dead matter, is carbon alive? Is oxygen alive? Is hydrogen alive? You are made of these things in abundance, are all those atoms alive before they get consumed? What about when they are expelled? What is the actual difference between "living" atoms and "nonliving" atoms?
The way they organize themselves obviously. How many times are you going to repeat the same silly mantra (life came from dead matter) under different identities? You don't prove anything. You simply sound like a broken record.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65383 Dec 1, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Life wasn't always here, now it's here. So, it had to come from non living matter. And there is plenty of evidence to support evolution.
<quoted text>
And you know this...how?
Consciousness creates form anytime - anywhere. There is no fossil record to support the theory of evolution. If you are willing to believe the fable anyway - you should have no problem accepting the notion that Moses parted the Red Sea.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65384 Dec 1, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think Christians are afraid of dying? LOL. They believe in god and heaven BECAUSE they are afraid of dying.
Also, Buddhists are atheists, they believe in a life after this one.
Christians have the promise of a heavenworld to work towards in life. Atheists have nothing.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65385 Dec 1, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know this...how?
"Many-worlds implies that all possible alternative histories and futures are real, each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). It is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, or just many-worlds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_inte...

North Hollywood, CA

#65386 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians have the promise of a heavenworld to work towards in life. Atheists have nothing.
Buddhists are atheists, they believe in a life after this one. Reincarnation.

North Hollywood, CA

#65387 Dec 1, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Consciousness creates form anytime - anywhere. There is no fossil record to support the theory of evolution. If you are willing to believe the fable anyway - you should have no problem accepting the notion that Moses parted the Red Sea.
There is a fossil record that supports evolution, but no evidence Moses existed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min Eagle 12 233,050
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,599
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 3 hr thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 4 hr chris toal 39
Evidence for God! 5 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 5 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr thetruth 162
More from around the web