Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70629 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#65208 Nov 25, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I want proof.
Proof of the shredding, or proof of the fear?

xD

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#65209 Nov 25, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Proof of the shredding, or proof of the fear?
xD
both .

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#65210 Nov 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Caring for the weaker of your species does make your species more fit. The only way a species genetics could be strong is with diversity, destroying those who are unique, in any way, weakens the species as a whole, and thus would lead to extinction. It is one reason reptiles are less fit, they did not develop the nurturing instincts until later, so their genetic diversity is lower than that of most mammals. Then there is the lack of comprehending what fit is. Intelligence has a huge impact on how fit an organism is, in spite of all his weaknesses, Hawking, for example, is exceptionally fit for survival, so long as the species is willing to accept the intelligent information given by these organisms, we can become even more fit.
This is the evolutionary advantage humans have had, our capability to defend and even remove ourselves from natural selection itself, it's part of that being able to change ourselves trait that makes us stand out from the other animals. It is not our similarities that give us strength, or make us fit, it is our differences.
Blah Blah Blah. Hawking is able to pay people to care for him, he is not a drain on society.

Location hidden

#65211 Nov 26, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>both .
Aw crap. You're gonna make me work for this one? Can we make a deal instead? It might take me a while to prove the fear part. I hope you don't get impatient easily.

:D

Location hidden

#65212 Nov 26, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Blah Blah Blah. Hawking is able to pay people to care for him, he is not a drain on society.
Yep, these days everybodys' genes make it to the next generation, which actually dumbs down the gene pool instead of improving the quality. Too many people with hereditary diseases like Cystic Fibrosis are having kids and weakening the species. Sperm levels dropping by half in male humans is not a positive sign either, not if they continue halving every fifty years. I did the projection and the future doesn't look good for the human race.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#65213 Nov 26, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, these days everybodys' genes make it to the next generation, which actually dumbs down the gene pool instead of improving the quality. Too many people with hereditary diseases like Cystic Fibrosis are having kids and weakening the species. Sperm levels dropping by half in male humans is not a positive sign either, not if they continue halving every fifty years. I did the projection and the future doesn't look good for the human race.
The next thing that you know we will be watering our crops with 'Gatorade'.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#65214 Nov 26, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Aw crap. You're gonna make me work for this one? Can we make a deal instead? It might take me a while to prove the fear part. I hope you don't get impatient easily.
:D
Me? Never.

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#65215 Nov 26, 2012
Postscript...

I see you have your hands full here, I am not trying to get into an argument debating scientific fact and tangent philosophy sprinkled with quantum mechanics.

However, as I read the last few pages of posts I have become a bit curious.

You refer to scientific experiments that the scientific community has accepted as valid without a recreation of the experiment. Being that eye-witness testimony is the least reliable of all evidence in the scientific world....
I would like to know if you can provide examples of such a situation.

I am a simple astrophysicist. And you have a very distorted view of science.

You seem to assume that we are covering up some sort of greater truth because it conflicts with established theory. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We are sharks. Our entire careers are devoted to proving something/anything. The ONLY thing that could make us happier is to disprove established theory/law.

I can't count even one amoung my colleagues who would come across a reality bending discovery and would sweep it under the rug because it goes against established theory.

Forget the Nobel prize and conquoring Newton or Hawking... hell with being regarded as one of the foremost minds on the planet.

We have tradition to preserve! It is just silly. It is more so a trait of religion.

Secondly, each "level" of matter obeys it's own set of physical laws. The rock you hold in your hand (no matter how you as an individual perceives it) follows its own laws. The atoms it is constructed from follow a different set of rules. The subatomic particles that make up the atoms follow yet another set. Far beyond that, the quantum foam itself marches to yet another beat.

Just because at its basest level matter is really made up of nothing and gravity is an illusion. You probably should think twice before diving out a third story window.

The science of the very small doesn't apply to a very physically realistic sidewalk you would end up decorating.

One last thing...intelligent design. Just stop.
No practical application. No testable hypothesis.
For every example you can come up with for (evidence) of intelligent design....I can give you 5 that litterally could have been designed better by a complete dunce.

Can't say you are my favorite type of anti-science poster. But it is amusing watching you wiggle.

My favorites are the guys who can disprove established theory and the very laws of physics. Instead of claiming their place in science history (and their enormous grants) they are content to inform a few people on a public forum that they have bested Einstien..

(So, its not that you are outclassed by my current favorites. Just out delusioned)

Be well.

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#65216 Nov 26, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>The next thing that you know we will be watering our crops with 'Gatorade'.
Brawndo.
Gatorade sounds pompous and faggy.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#65217 Nov 26, 2012
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>
Brawndo.
Gatorade sounds pompous and faggy.
True
John

Saint Louis, MO

#65218 Nov 26, 2012
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle thought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 62,500 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65219 Nov 26, 2012
I am saying science doesn't understand the the true nature of reality. I am saying scientists aren't the gods people think they are. The proof is all around us in the form of a polluted planet, and yet many continue to believe that only science can explain everything.

The basic tool of science, mathematics, can't describe or explain clouds, or fire, or lightning. That's because science is not geared to understand, let alone predict irregular behavior. If it isn't repetitious, continuous, or highly consistent science doesn't know how to deal with it, and yet its pronouncements form our very civilization, shape our ideas of personhood.

But don't take it from me, consider the thoughts of scientists themselves:

Eddington and Schroedinger, emininent physicists, were the first to acknowledge that science is not dealing with the world itself, but with the shadows of an imaginary world. James Jeans further elaborated that the mathematical pictures of nature which science discloses are fictitious and do not represent ulitimate reality.

"Proof is the idol before whom the pure mathematician tortures himself. Something unknown is doing we don't know what." - Sir Arthur Eddington

“I am very astonished that the scientific picture of the real world around me is very deficient. It gives a lot of factual information, puts all our experience in a magnificently consistent order, but it is ghastly silent about all and sundry that is really near to our heart, that really matters to us. It cannot tell us a word about red and blue, bitter and sweet, physical pain and physical delight; it knows nothing of beautiful and ugly, good or bad, God and eternity." - Erwin Schrodinger

"The tendency of modern physics is to resolve the whole material universe into waves, and nothing but waves. These waves are of two kinds: bottled-up waves, which we call matter, and unbottled waves, which we call radiation or light. If annihilation of matter occurs, the process is merely that of unbottling imprisoned wave-energy and setting it free to travel through space. These concepts reduce the whole universe to a world of light, potential or existent, so that the whole story of its creation can be told with perfect accuracy and completeness in the six words:'God said, Let there be light'.- James Jeans

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65220 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Consciousness is not physical and it does not reside in the brain. A blow to head therefore isn't going to affect its ability to function. After all, it survives death.
Actually, it does. People who suffer from brain damage will have completely new personalities after. Alzheimer's sufferers have their personalities altered by the physical effects if the disease. If you cut out part of the brain, they will become a completely different person. Also, knocking a person out can kill them.

It is physical, we can even show you in the brain where each part resides.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65221 Nov 26, 2012
John wrote:
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence ...
Then prove us wrong, show us the evidence and not just a bunch of assertions.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65222 Nov 26, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, these days everybodys' genes make it to the next generation, which actually dumbs down the gene pool instead of improving the quality. Too many people with hereditary diseases like Cystic Fibrosis are having kids and weakening the species. Sperm levels dropping by half in male humans is not a positive sign either, not if they continue halving every fifty years. I did the projection and the future doesn't look good for the human race.
So, instead of seeking cures for these diseases you just want to let nature reclaim them all. Nice compassion there.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65223 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Google out-of-body-experiences.
Hallucinations brought on by the lack of oxygen in the brain as it attempts to process what little information it receives from the sensory organs and fills in the blanks with random stuff from the memory. As Rose said, they're just dreams.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#65224 Nov 26, 2012
PS seems to have lost the ability to attribute posts to the correct person.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65225 Nov 26, 2012
Polymath didn't write any of the things above that you claimed that he did. I did. When you correctly attribute those quotes to me and not to Polymath, I'll be glad to respond to them.
postscript wrote:
I know. You are several identities.
Nope. This is the only name under which I post on Topix.

As I said, when you correctly attribute who said what, I'll be glad to respond. Otherwise, you're being dishonest and there is no need to respond to you.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65226 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it does. People who suffer from brain damage will have completely new personalities after. Alzheimer's sufferers have their personalities altered by the physical effects if the disease. If you cut out part of the brain, they will become a completely different person. Also, knocking a person out can kill them.
It is physical, we can even show you in the brain where each part resides.
Do you think consciousness is a magician? That it can magically make a damaged brain whole again? It works through what is available - otherwise we'd all be geniuses.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65227 Nov 26, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Polymath didn't write any of the things above that you claimed that he did. I did. When you correctly attribute those quotes to me and not to Polymath, I'll be glad to respond to them.
<quoted text>
Nope. This is the only name under which I post on Topix.
As I said, when you correctly attribute who said what, I'll be glad to respond. Otherwise, you're being dishonest and there is no need to respond to you.
Your - ah - "literary style" compared to a couple of other regular posters is simply too similar to be coincidental.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 24 min One way or another 61,377
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Dogen 28,320
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 6 hr Dogen 2,687
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Fri IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web