Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70634 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#65182 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Consciousness is not subject to physical laws.
Then why can I render a person unconscious with a hammer?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#65183 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Consciousness is not subject to physical laws.
Yes, actually, it is. It is a product of the physical brain.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65184 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
The advanced order basic to the new physics (quantum), and all ancillary sciences was not discovered in particles of matter. It was found in the minds of scientists who had given up their preconceived notions about the physical world and reality, as the overwhelming idea of the oneness of life began to impinge upon their perceptions. They saw that things moved without following the laws of mechanical motion, that they moved disjointedly in a discontinuous manner, jumping almost effortlessly between two places. On the atomic scale, physicists saw that what they used to measure "data" created and determined what they found.
Once again, you are clearly getting your information about quantum mechanics from popularized sources instead of the actual physics literature. Your misunderstandings abound because of this. I would recommend actually learning some of the math and physics involved in QM before you attempt to speak about it. Otherwise, you only make yourself look foolish.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65185 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Astral projection.
A figment of the imagination. Nothing real here except brain states.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65186 Nov 25, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is fitness? The ability to survive.
But again, that is determined by things like energy flow that can be determined independently. The point is that we can determine which things would lead to better ability to survive by looking closely at the environment and the species itself. Evolution predicts that the population will change in the direction where those things leading to survival will be optimized.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#65187 Nov 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I never did much care for the liberal atheists either, but us conservative atheists need the balance they offer in order to keep the roads paved. A necessary evil if we ever want capitalism back and corporatism gone. Though I still wish the people with god delusions would just stop perverting the language so much, makes it difficult to actually get a point across when "conservative" means "god delusion" and "liberal" means "intelligent."
A conservative "anything" would be on youtube posting vlogs of himself dressed as a woman and using a voice modulator to convince little kids that he's a harmless female.

Location hidden

#65188 Nov 25, 2012
urr...

Make that, "...would NOT be..."

Location hidden

#65189 Nov 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe myths are real, your standards for facts are really too low to trust.
You expect us to believe that you are really a woman.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA AA

How deluded is that?

Location hidden

#65190 Nov 25, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in humanity, and that is why I am smarter than you are.
You believe in delusions...or...at least you try very freaking hard to. Funny how you have just enough sanity left that you know you need the voice modulator not to frighten away the kiddies.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65191 Nov 25, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>A conservative "anything" would be on youtube posting vlogs of himself dressed as a woman and using a voice modulator to convince little kids that he's a harmless female.
Stop projecting, it's unbecoming of you men.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65192 Nov 25, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You believe in delusions...or...at least you try very freaking hard to. Funny how you have just enough sanity left that you know you need the voice modulator not to frighten away the kiddies.
Funny how you can hear the traffic in some of my older vids, and it's not "modulated." You can't come to terms with what you are, so you project them onto everyone else. It must be hard for you to go into public knowing you sound like a guy, so tell us how hard it is.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65193 Nov 25, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You expect us to believe that you are really a woman.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA AA
How deluded is that?
More projection.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65195 Nov 25, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why can I render a person unconscious with a hammer?
Consciousness is not physical and it does not reside in the brain. A blow to head therefore isn't going to affect its ability to function. After all, it survives death.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65196 Nov 25, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Once again, you are clearly getting your information about quantum mechanics from popularized sources instead of the actual physics literature. Your misunderstandings abound because of this. I would recommend actually learning some of the math and physics involved in QM before you attempt to speak about it. Otherwise, you only make yourself look foolish.

You mean I don't interpret science with the same gullibility as you seem to, don't you kitten?
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, actually, it is. It is a product of the physical brain.
Another scientific myth. You would have to understand the nature of consciousness before you could even begin to comprehend it's capabilities.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm describing the mechanisms that fully account for the predictable coming and going of the seasons. You haven't provided any evidence for "Intelligent Design".
You are being deliberately obtuse and you think it's cute.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Provide a specific example of "Intelligent Design" that is not explained by observed natural phenomena such as gravity or natural selection.
Psychic phenomena - such as precognition, telepathy, psychokinesis, clairvoyance.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Science doesn't claim that it's version of reality is the "only" version. However, it is the only version that has been shown to make usable predictions. Do you have any other version that has been shown to make usable predictions?
It's usuable predictions (when they work) apply to the material world only.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Translation: Science, when it is shown to be in error, admits to the error and makes corrections. Therefore, it does not claim to have "truth".
Provide examples.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure about that? Perhaps you need to read "Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain" by Antonio Damasio.
Consciousness exists in all things. Proving it is the product of the physical world is a daunting task for the likes of a Damasio.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65197 Nov 25, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Gee, you're able to commit plagiarism! Who knew? Got anything that Pert actually published as a peer-reviewed scientific research paper? No?
Google it! Oh, and one does not plagiarize ideas and facts. If that were true than everything you think you know scientifically is plagiarized information because you aren't the originator.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>If you can't even explain how one would know that they are dealing with a "non-natural" cause, then on what basis do you claim that they exist?
Based on the fact that you can't provide examples that non-natural causes don't exist.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>It has everything to do with genetic mutations, since elephants are descended from animals that *didn't* create such openings. It was genetic mutations that led to modern elephants.
The elephant is not the result of genetic mutations. That is a myth. Modern darwinian synthesis is to scientists what apologetics is to Christians - the invention of explanations where contradictions exist. If scientists can find tiny fossil cells 3.4 billion years old, there is no reason why they cannot find the fossilized remains of entire creatures that would provide the missing links proving their story of evolution. The fact is, they don't exist because genesis was not a single isolated event where life crawled forth from a steaming primordial soup of dead matter and magically transformed into millions of different species all with a mysterious ability to duplicate themselves. That scientific fable is as much a fantasy as the Christian's story of the Ark.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>As opposed to the *what*? The stuff you claim exists but for which you cannot provide any evidence?

Certainly not the dead matter you claim mysteriously gives rise to life.

The thinking person can no longer accept that the universe is a gigantic clock that just happens to operate without intent or purpose. Instead it is a unified network of events and relationships in which the mind and intelligence and the human spirit are integral parts of existence, rather than products of the physical world.

Santa Monica, CA

#65198 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Consciousness is not physical and it does not reside in the brain. A blow to head therefore isn't going to affect its ability to function. After all, it survives death.
OK, you had me, but now I know you are joking.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65199 Nov 25, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you had me, but now I know you are joking.
Google out-of-body-experiences.

Santa Monica, CA

#65200 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Google out-of-body-experiences.
Those are just illusions, like dreams.
Google getting hit over the head with a rock.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65201 Nov 25, 2012
postscript wrote:
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm describing the mechanisms that fully account for the predictable coming and going of the seasons. You haven't provided any evidence for "Intelligent Design".

You are being deliberately obtuse and you think it's cute.

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Provide a specific example of "Intelligent Design" that is not explained by observed natural phenomena such as gravity or natural selection.

Psychic phenomena - such as precognition, telepathy, psychokinesis, clairvoyance.

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Science doesn't claim that it's version of reality is the "only" version. However, it is the only version that has been shown to make usable predictions. Do you have any other version that has been shown to make usable predictions?

It's usuable predictions (when they work) apply to the material world only.

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Translation: Science, when it is shown to be in error, admits to the error and makes corrections. Therefore, it does not claim to have "truth".

Provide examples.

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure about that? Perhaps you need to read "Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain" by Antonio Damasio.

Consciousness exists in all things. Proving it is the product of the physical world is a daunting task for the likes of a Damasio.
Polymath didn't write any of the things above that you claimed that he did. I did.

When you correctly attribute those quotes to me and not to Polymath, I'll be glad to respond to them.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65203 Nov 25, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Polymath didn't write any of the things above that you claimed that he did. I did.
When you correctly attribute those quotes to me and not to Polymath, I'll be glad to respond to them.
I know. You are several identities. You even carry on a conversation with yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min THE LONE WORKER 43,293
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min ChristineM 256,572
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 6 min Eagle 12 9,377
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 min Eagle 12 10,060
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 11 min Eagle 12 766
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 12 min Eagle 12 21,193
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 17 min Eagle 12 18,584
More from around the web