Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
62,121 - 62,140 of 70,959 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 7
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Your forum continues to prove it is the nothing I said it was. Please come back. Thank you.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Look, another post without proof of god in it.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

You don't believe in God. You believe in nothing. As this is your forum I'll wait for you to avoid the impossible.

Since you are so fixated on a God you don't believe in I even offered to compare my something vs ??????. Collectively you loons have avoided that since 2009. Thanks for being compliant in exposing you.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

John wrote:
You don't believe in God. You believe in nothing. As this is your forum I'll wait for you to avoid the impossible.
Since you are so fixated on a God you don't believe in I even offered to compare my something vs ??????. Collectively you loons have avoided that since 2009. Thanks for being compliant in exposing you.
Go on john, make another post with no proof of god in it, there's a good village idiot.

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Got to hand it the StumpJohngodspambot all this time and it's still making unsubstantiated claims and assuming pigeon chess victories. A+ for persistence.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

John wrote:
I posted a coherent set of beliefs at the beginning of this thread. You refused to consider it because it didn't address the origins of the universe or of life on earth. But not all beliefs concern either of those--they don't even form the foundation of most religious beliefs.

Physics and biology are fascinating, but they don't lie at the center of my beliefs. I suspect that few outside those fields spend as much time pondering them as they do more immediate concerns such as the well-being of their loved ones, their communities, humanity as a whole and the planet on which we live.

I believe that most people do the best that they can within their limitations, which are often considerable. I believe that the most noble of human attributes are kindness, empathy, generosity, and willingness to set aside personal considerations for the grater good. I believe that the greatest obstacles to achieving a state of benevolence are anger, fear, ignorance, and delusion, i.e., the tendency to cling to obvious fallacies even in the face of overwhelming evidence out of sheer stubbornness. Some call this cognitive dissonance. I believe that people can help each other to overcome these obstacles.

I believe that art is just as important as science and that any society that focuses so much on either as to exclude the other is headed for trouble. I believe in the wisdom of replacing beliefs with knowledge wherever possible.

These are beliefs I am prepared to defend.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

I believe in empty rhetoric and long winded diversions from the nothing. Oh, and puppies should live forever.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. The tireless.fight for nothing in the forum about nothing continues LOL.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

John wrote:
I believe in empty rhetoric and long winded diversions from the nothing. Oh, and puppies should live forever.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. The tireless.fight for nothing in the forum about nothing continues LOL.
Go on John, show us no proof of god again.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle thought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence DREW, Curious, Mikey,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 62,180 plus posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I posted a coherent set of beliefs at the beginning of this thread. You refused to consider it because it didn't address the origins of the universe or of life on earth. But not all beliefs concern either of those--they don't even form the foundation of most religious beliefs.
Physics and biology are fascinating, but they don't lie at the center of my beliefs. I suspect that few outside those fields spend as much time pondering them as they do more immediate concerns such as the well-being of their loved ones, their communities, humanity as a whole and the planet on which we live.
I believe that most people do the best that they can within their limitations, which are often considerable. I believe that the most noble of human attributes are kindness, empathy, generosity, and willingness to set aside personal considerations for the grater good. I believe that the greatest obstacles to achieving a state of benevolence are anger, fear, ignorance, and delusion, i.e., the tendency to cling to obvious fallacies even in the face of overwhelming evidence out of sheer stubbornness. Some call this cognitive dissonance. I believe that people can help each other to overcome these obstacles.
I believe that art is just as important as science and that any society that focuses so much on either as to exclude the other is headed for trouble. I believe in the wisdom of replacing beliefs with knowledge wherever possible.
These are beliefs I am prepared to defend.
John will not debate.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Which is why everyone should ignore him and stop feeding this troll already.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
John will not debate.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Which is why everyone should ignore him and stop feeding this troll already.
<quoted text>
I'm going to. I'm done with him unless he actually debates.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

As I have even trying to do let's change the subject and get this thread back on track. No matter what anyone says or reasoning you use it's just not going to get through his stump temper tantrum.

Ignore the screaming child because the atheist non believer movement is spiking in the US an that's what we should focus on and not let a desperate Christian try to derail a great thread.

The religious crowd knows they are in huge trouble.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to. I'm done with him unless he actually debates.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
As I have even trying to do let's change the subject and get this thread back on track. No matter what anyone says or reasoning you use it's just not going to get through his stump temper tantrum.
Ignore the screaming child because the atheist non believer movement is spiking in the US an that's what we should focus on and not let a desperate Christian try to derail a great thread.
The religious crowd knows they are in huge trouble.
<quoted text>
Why do you think there is such resistance to reason?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

To sort of answer my own question.:)
I think many people play their own version of "Pascal's Wager" in their minds.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Indoctrination sad to say is a powerful enslaving device. Those indoctrinated sheeple are seeing their numbers dwindle, their churches becoming less an less filled and then closing it's doors. This enrages them and they are fighting the only way they know how and that's to attack non believers with nonsense. Yet it's like fighting the tide.

With each passing year reason slowly becomes more of a factor while their superstitious ways dwindle. The more they lose control the more desperate and unhinged thy will become my friend. Just sit back and enjoy the show.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think there is such resistance to reason?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Indoctrination sad to say is a powerful enslaving device. Those indoctrinated sheeple are seeing their numbers dwindle, their churches becoming less an less filled and then closing it's doors. This enrages them and they are fighting the only way they know how and that's to attack non believers with nonsense. Yet it's like fighting the tide.
With each passing year reason slowly becomes more of a factor while their superstitious ways dwindle. The more they lose control the more desperate and unhinged thy will become my friend. Just sit back and enjoy the show.
<quoted text>
That will be great!

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
John will not debate.
True. My purpose was to demonstrate that his claims were nothing more than a hollow charade. His followup showed exactly that.

QED
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

So you loons are doubling down on your nothing. No evidence, no logic, no reason, no debate of course. Atheism exposed 101.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

It's happening as we speak. Tell me if not why would so many believers spend so much time on an atheist forum? Why would they write all these books and make websites by the hundred? Why spend so much time and effort of we are such a small insignificant number? If this were really true we would not warrant such a massive effort from believers. They would completely ignore us and move on.

So when I see the angry believers coming on here I smile because they prove me right.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
That will be great!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••