Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
41 - 60 of 70,985 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 5
oneear69

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

Judged:

it is our turn to ridicule the so called believers of religion and their silly beliefs in something that does not exist.can you name me anything good that has come from any religion within the last 1000 yrs,besides fear and hate.we should all feel a little stupid and ignorant for having to think about were it is the universe started or came from when we cant even coexist on this beautiful but small planet.a planet which is really insignificant compared to the rest of the universe.out of the 200 or so wars happening around the world right now about 80% of them are because of religious indifference's.if your afraid of death and you need some kind of comfort thats your hangup ,i would suggest living your life to its fullest and not worry so much about death,and start treating the earth like your so called heaven because in the end thats all we really have.
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

oneear69 wrote:
it is our turn to ridicule the so called believers of religion and their silly beliefs in something that does not exist.can you name me anything good that has come from any religion within the last 1000 yrs,besides fear and hate.we should all feel a little stupid and ignorant for having to think about were it is the universe started or came from when we cant even coexist on this beautiful but small planet.a planet which is really insignificant compared to the rest of the universe.out of the 200 or so wars happening around the world right now about 80% of them are because of religious indifference's.if your afraid of death and you need some kind of comfort thats your hangup ,i would suggest living your life to its fullest and not worry so much about death,and start treating the earth like your so called heaven because in the end thats all we really have.
You're so right. Religion is one of many reasons we are finding earth is becoming a planet that man cannot exist on. Those in church say soon the earth will be destroyed by god. This is gods will. We cannot stop the destruction. In actuality it is over population, greed and lack of action to prevent the earth from becoming hell for living men that is the cause. No god needed. Man is doing it by himself.
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
Does a bang need a banger? Science of the gaps is just as silly as God of the gaps. Many scientific axioms have been disproven. Repeatable and observable is the standard set and that means none of us can factually ay they know. Only allowing for natural possibilities may mean the evidence will never be there. If there is a supernatural science is not the arena to address it. We can only imagine the compexities of the universe that are often so perfectly ordered despite mathematical improbabilities. Writing off any possibility of a supernatural world seems to be disengenious.
As always, your more willing to believe in ghosts and spirits than real world answers. Just present one fact, not your dreams, that any supernatural event has happened. Why waste a second on those beliefs? Man is but a gnat on an elephans butt in real time. The universe has existed billions of years before the first creature on earth came into existance. Trillions of earth like planets have come and gone since the start of the expansion of the universe, yet you think some supernatural being cares about what you or I do? I put your superstitions along side of those that believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and zombies. I see no reason to investgate those beliefs either. Do you?
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
Science of the gaps is just as silly as God of the gaps..
Not really since science continually closes the gaps with new evidence while religion crawls further into the ever shrinking gaps.
john wrote:
Many scientific axioms have been disproven..
Straw man. SInce that is an expected aspect of the scientific pursuit of knowledge it is not a criticism.
john wrote:
Only allowing for natural possibilities may mean the evidence will never be there..
As soon as you tell us how to search for non-natural possibilities (tools, methods) we'll be happy to do it.
john wrote:
If there is a supernatural science is not the arena to address it..
Admitted already.
john wrote:
the compexities of the universe that are often so perfectly ordered despite mathematical improbabilities..
This is called puddleism. One, things are NOT 'perfectly' ordered. Two, since the universe and life exist the probability of them existing is one in one. Given the infinite time, the infinite number of possible universes and the virtually infinite number of planets in a hospitable zone, the occurrence of some form of life was a virtual certainty.
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
Science has not diminished God one iota. He exists or he doesn't.
Every rational person understands this and understands that out of the thousands of imagined gods there is STILL no evidence of one. Point?
john wrote:
However, II contend some things may be beyond science or science is the process for a larger plan.
Maybe so but until 'science' hits a brick wall and stops discovering things, we'll keep on that track.
john wrote:
In order for the universe to function as it does requires seemingly mathematical impossibilities in perfect sequential order, just the right amount of gas combinations, exact planet alignments etc.
But in fact there IS no 'perfect sequential order'. Puddleism (that hole was designed exactly right to hold that amount of water). And the atmospheric gas mixture has varied hugely on earth over time. Also, if a different gas mixture existed not hospitable to carbon-based life perhaps a different life would have formed. One poster on another thread claimed that if earth moved a hundred miles closer/further from the sun that life would end. HUH? In its elliptical orbit the earth moves over 3 million miles closer/further from the sun each year. That is precision? And it blows the argument out of the water.
john wrote:
I don't view these things as chance. Many scientists including Francis Collins who mapped our entire genetic code see purposeful design.
If simply being intelligent supports one's beliefs, where does it stop? Evidence is needed to convince others.
john wrote:
It should however, allow for an open mind and an inquisitiveness as to man's place or possible purpose.
The world of science in no way prevents such discussion and questioning. It simply answers questions about the natural world,
john wrote:
Science is wonderful, but, limited and I have not been duped into seeing it as the be all end all.
You love your straw men don't you. No one claims science is the be all and end all.
CIA

Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

Power to them. Christians screwed the planet and islam is insanity that will make the world a middle eastern crap hole.
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
Ironically, believers and unbelievers arew all subject to the natural law.
The irony is the believers claim otherwise.
john wrote:
. What standard is it that offends you?
Theocracy as a desirable political system.
john wrote:
You are probably not familiar with it as it is not quantifiable or observable in a petri dish.
That was really lame.
john wrote:
You do not have the right to outlaw belief sir..
No one is trying to outlaw belief in this country and, if you actually understand human cognition, it is technically impossible to prevent belief. Do you have a scarecrow fetish?
redneck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

Religion has always held back science. Religion is non science which is the origin of the word 'nonsense'. Science does not set out to disprove religious beliefs, it just happens that way.
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

I've always wondered what science has to do with what one believes? An atheist make a simple statement, I see no facts that support the belief in any god. So I will live my life as best I can without believing in a god. Right away someone starts to talk about science this and science that. Now why does my posts draw such a response?
Fed up

Fenton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it so important for christians to evangelize?
What's the matter, can't take the competition?
Competiton for what? God is the beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega. Take al look around you, a real good look and tell me that there is no God. You would have to be blind not to see that something far greater than us created this universe. I am afraid that the "big bang" theory just does not cut it.
oneear69

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>Competiton for what? God is the beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega. Take al look around you, a real good look and tell me that there is no God. You would have to be blind not to see that something far greater than us created this universe. I am afraid that the "big bang" theory just does not cut it.
really next youll tell me the dinosaurs were put here to test your faith roflps there is no god,prove to me there is
nina

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>Competiton for what? God is the beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega. Take al look around you, a real good look and tell me that there is no God. You would have to be blind not to see that something far greater than us created this universe. I am afraid that the "big bang" theory just does not cut it.
there is no god
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Fed up wrote:
Take a look around you, a real good look and tell me that there is no God..
There is no god.
Fed up wrote:
You would have to be blind not to see that something far greater than us created this universe.
Mountains are 'greater than us'. Nuclear fusion is 'greater' than us. Did you thing 'greater' means sky pixie?
Fed up wrote:
I am afraid that the "big bang" theory just does not cut it.
Why? Do you think the big bang theory argues what 'created' the universe?
SANDY

Spirit Lake, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no god
I totally disagree.

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

Fed up wrote:
Maybe for you it doesn't, but it's more than adequate for me. Your silly superstitions don't cut it for me. And yes, I can look around and tell you that there is no "god."

You lose. Try again.

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>I totally disagree.
Good for you, now prove it.

There is no "god."
john

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Attempting discourse with an antitheist (not necessarily atheist) is ridiculous. Disbelief in something is not believe. Go back, look at my first post and see the puppets dance. When you wish to discuss my belief fine. I'll never have to because the simple fact is you have no skin in the game. Prove to me an observable and repeatable example of creation. You won't, you can't. Btw Science I think you misunderstood my point on natural law. If you care C.S. Lewis.(Mere Christianity) would be the place to look. I won't play this game of attack, defend, attack, defend. It doesn't make someone nearly as smart as they think when they don't have a position. If all I have to do is attack a position I will win every single time. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes. Nothing bless.
john

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

If I put a frog in a blender, puree contents, empty liquid into a container and set it covered in the sun for millions of years what would I have? Frog soup would be the answer geniuses.
john

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

Prove there isn't. Anything to deflect from the collective nothing huh? Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Good for you, now prove it.
There is no "god."
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
If I put a frog in a blender, puree contents, empty liquid into a container and set it covered in the sun for millions of years what would I have?.
Your mom?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 14 min Lawrence Wolf 101
If Christianity were true... 14 min henry 132
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 26 min Aura Mytha 225,569
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 54 min ChristineM 883
One top most argument for atheism (Apr '12) 2 hr henry 3
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 5 hr religionisillness 753
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr religionisillness 354
•••
•••