Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70631 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#582 Sep 2, 2009
john wrote:
That's disbelief.
That's belief: belief that you have been utterly deceived. How many times do you need to be told? I believe you're wrong. I belief you are ineducable. I believe that you are trolling.

Your turn, Stump

What's your belief regarding Leprechauns?

[Any answer]

That's disbelief, Stump. It's like pulling stumps out of their rooted positions with you antiantitheists, Stump.

Stump, the Christian. Axe him (his belief)

Fennario

#583 Sep 2, 2009
[QUOTE who="UNW I am Duck d'Puke"]All of you incompetent idiots don't see it the way we see it.

but for now we watch is silent

We say good day to you illiterate bigots.[/QUOTE]

Well said, Duc.

Fennario

#584 Sep 2, 2009
UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
All of you incompetent idiots don't see it the way we see it.

but for now we watch is silent

We say good day to you illiterate bigots.
Well said Duc

Fennario

#585 Sep 2, 2009
john wrote:
Not bad Alex, I have some disagreements, but, your questions show some thought.
<quoted text>
LOL.
worried

Lorton, VA

#586 Sep 2, 2009
god bless america,i love god ,he has done a lot for my family and the air i breath and my childs full belly when they go to sleep at night.and those who believeth in him shall inherit the kingdom of heaven
john

Waterloo, Canada

#587 Sep 2, 2009
Well you are adding to the list of things you cannot achieve in real life or the internet. STFU is what you say, but, could not achieve. Diminishing God is what you impotently try to do, but, cannot. Do you have a God complex at work as well as civilian life? You have chosen to accept only naturalistic possibilities when another supernatural possibility if you will cannot be measured by our rudimentary sciences. There is a whole natural world that we can't even measure. Now, can you provide a rational response to exactly what position you want to defend? I'm not impressed by your self reported intelligence and laugh at your aggression little fella. Stump an antitheist! Science that is repeatable and observable.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
“B”, the Big Bang. As the prime mover, it created a singularity from which everything else in the Universe, including your god delusion, derived. That’s my complete and final answer, Rege. Lock it in.
Now STFU, you stump.
<quoted text>
Ru-rooo???!!! It would be, if anybody was doing that. What is continually insisting that we do when we don’t – what is that, Yawn Boy?
Let me see if I can stump a theist: show me a post where one of us said that there is no possibility of a prime mover. Can you do that, you little psychopath? Or do you prefer to accept the title,“Sir Yawn of Dumbstump, Lying Liar and Sack of Stercoliths”
I’ll be more than happy to retract that when you show me that you’re not a loathsome, lying sack of cruor and feces.(ask your doctor if electroconvulsive therapy is right for you).
Stump a theist. Ask him to defend his lies. LOL. Loser. You're in WAY over your thick, pointed little head.
<quoted text>
I’m glad that you think so. Now defend it, you bezoar, or do the honorable thing. It won’t hurt for long, and then it will be all over: Sleep, perchance to dream!”.
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#588 Sep 2, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never met anyone who proposed Spinoza's god
you should not define others by your limitations.
I found your response to me disingenuous.
Well, Spinoza did, as did Einstein, and myself and least one other person in this forum.

Perhaps it is you who are limited.

And I don't think the word disingenuous means what you seem to think it means.
john

Waterloo, Canada

#589 Sep 2, 2009
Problem solved. The big bang has explained everything. Don't worry about how there was something to bang. Yawn

Fennario

#590 Sep 2, 2009
john wrote:
Surely a man of your intelligence can tell me what position of his own he is defending. Use your own words and remember the observable and repeatable paramaters. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
<quoted text>
My answer is all over this thread in multiple places, some within the last two or three pages, one withing 20 posts of this one, I believe.

Much of that material was addressed to you. If you care, read it when it goes by. If you don't, don't ask. If you didn't care then but do now, go back about 36 hours and read through my posts. If you're not willing to do that, then you're not serious, you're trolling.

Fennario

#591 Sep 2, 2009
john wrote:
Dance puppet dance.
<quoted text>
Puppet. Ouch, Stump! Take it easy, will you?

You don't like hearing that Bush is a liar, thief and killer, that your god is a phantasm and that you are a stump, do you Stump.

But the fact is that Bush is a liar, thief and killer, that your god is a phantasm and that you are a stump.

It would be disingenuous of me, Stump, if I believed that Bush is a liar, thief and killer, that your god is a phantasm and that you are a stump and wasn't willing to say that Bush is a liar, thief and killer, that your god is a phantasm and that you are a stump.
keltec 9mm

Boca Raton, FL

#592 Sep 2, 2009
The article states

"The American Religious Identification Survey recently found the number of people who claimed "no religion" had nearly doubled nationally over the last 18 years, to 15 percent. They were the only demographic that increased in all 50 states."

Wow big increase in the number of atheists, right?

Perhaps, perhaps not.

"But what did Americans mean when they checked the box marked "no affiliation"? Pew researchers found that this category challenges assumptions about those who have "left" religion. In the 2008 survey, 16% of Americans said they had no religious affiliations, but of that group, only 10% identified themselves as atheists and 15% as agnostics. Far from joining in religion-bashing, roughly 4 out of 10 currently unaffiliated said religion is at least somewhat important in their life. And many said they are still hoping to eventually find the right religious home. Among those who were raised Catholic or Protestant, the study says, "1 in 3 say they just have not found the right religion yet." (Read "Finding God on YouTube.")

For the most part, the unaffiliated report deep dissatisfaction with organized religion, believing that it focuses too much on rules and that religious leaders are too concerned with acquiring power and wealth. "In the 2008 survey, when we asked other religion questions - whether they believed in God, how often they prayed or attended religious services - it was clear that 40% of these unaffiliated people are fairly religious," says Lugo. "They are not indifferent or hostile to religion." Indeed, only 32% of the unaffiliated agreed with the statement that religion is superstition, and even fewer (23%) said belief was important in their decision to leave a religious tradition.

Perhaps most surprising to the Pew researchers was that of the 7% of Americans who were raised unaffiliated, only half remained unaffiliated as adults. "Only Jehovah's Witness has a lower retention rate," says Pew analyst Gregory Smith. Unlike the disillusioned Catholics and Protestants who fled organized religion, these new adherents tend to see the positive aspects of being affiliated with a religious institution. When asked for the main reason they joined their current religion, 33% of the formerly unaffiliated cited the benefits of being spiritually and socially connected to a community, and 20% said it was a choice driven by personal spirituality and a sense that something was missing from their life.

These findings won't be music to the ears of Sam Harris or fans of his best seller The End of Faith. But they do confirm that a stubborn, insistent strain of religiosity continues to infuse Americans - even those who claim they've left organized religion behind.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090429/us_time...

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#593 Sep 2, 2009
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you feel that a human being is condemning you to hell. They are not you know. You do have a choice, a God given choice. Blah, blah, blah
STUFAGA

You are preaching to an empty room. Only the other faithers here care about your bible crap and empty threats. The atheists already regard is as a total bullshit, so you are wasting your time.

Fennario

#594 Sep 2, 2009
worried wrote:
god bless america,i love god ,he has done a lot for my family and the air i breath and my childs full belly when they go to sleep at night.and those who believeth in him shall inherit the kingdom of heaven
Feel better now?
Charlie

Papeete, French Polynesia

#595 Sep 2, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't a fact. That is a fundie brain spasm. There is no dogma associated with atheism.
Dogma #1: "There is no dogma associated with atheism."
What premise? You mean the premise "Since there is no evidence of magic flying toasters I lack belief in them"?
Premise # 1: All that exists is the physical world.
LOL. Ever read some of the sophisticated arguments against sky pixies by the ancient greeks?
The ancient Greeks never wrote any arguments against sky pixies.
Atheism does not need, and never has needed, an argument. The burden of proof of sky pixies is on you, the deluded.
Then why do atheists keep arguing so vehemently?
The same science ignored religion and let it drown.
Bof……
Still having trouble with identifying that premise?
Just did above…
The natural world has never relied on a deity.
Misunderstanding on your part. It is the explanation that did not have to rely on positing a deity.
Atheism stands on the logic one learns in kindergarten, unless one's parents lie and indoctrinate the innocent minds of the children.
Dogma #2 above……

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#596 Sep 2, 2009
Saint Paul Sam wrote:
Send the atheists and the fairies to Siberia as Rusky slaves.
You're already taking up all the space.
Richard

Canton, OH

#597 Sep 2, 2009
Josef Stalin, the greatest mass murderer of all time (40,000,000 or more killed), was an atheist.
mayo420

Baltimore, MD

#598 Sep 2, 2009
Tough call, who do you have more respect for? The atheists who admit they don't believe in God or christians who pretend to believe?

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#599 Sep 2, 2009
UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text><quoted text>All of you incompetent idiots don't see it the way we see it.
You just don't get it. Many atheists have seen it your way, decided that it's a load of shit, and that's WHY we are atheists.
We are done trying to get you slugs to walk the light of the Holy,
Already stated - not interested. You are dense.
but for now we watch is silent as we see the many numerous mistakes you make while we hold back our laughter at you.
You haven't noticed but we haven't been holding back our laughter at your expense. Keep it up, you guys are hilarious.[QUOTE}
We say good day to you illiterate bigots.
ALL of you.[/QUOTE]Bye. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
keltec 9mm

Boca Raton, FL

#600 Sep 2, 2009
That link no longer has the reply but it is available with a little effort on the Pew Site.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#601 Sep 2, 2009
john wrote:
Surely a man of your intelligence can tell me what position of his own he is defending. Use your own words and remember the observable and repeatable paramaters. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
<quoted text>
I believe that you're a troll, and I'm not about to write your thesis for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min Chimney1 45,415
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 50 min It aint necessari... 20,215
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 4 hr Chick240 9,500
News Why Kasich's atheist criticisms seem out of touch 5 hr Reason Personified 29
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 8 hr ATHEOI 189
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 14 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 417
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 15 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 278
More from around the web