Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70631 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

atheist

Edmonton, Canada

#276 Sep 1, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for telling us what science deals with. However, that is not telling us what atheism deals with.
Atheist would like to hitch their wagon to the horse of science, but atheism is no more rational a system of thought than religion is. Atheism, too, is dogmatic, and while religion is based on faith, atheism is – pardon the expression – the "evil twin" of faith that is doubt and systematic skepticism.
Fact is, atheism does not equate to science.
education time,bro
www.atheists.org
SANDY

Emmetsburg, IA

#277 Sep 1, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you kow Satlin went to a catholic college and after he graduated, he became a priest? Perhaps he learned his murderous ways from the teachings of his church schooling?
Actually you are wrong he was actually an orthodox priest for a while until he abondond Christianity for marxist beliefs.
atheist

Edmonton, Canada

#278 Sep 1, 2009
everybody knows wrote:
<quoted text>Society needs structure to survive.
At least with religion the rules are already written in stone.To add to those rules would deface the religion to the devoute.
some rules you got there
www.evilbible.com
NO THANKS
Desi

Libertyville, IL

#279 Sep 1, 2009
The Atheist march to nowhere...

http://evolutionfacts.blogspot.com/

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#280 Sep 1, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, I love Leonard Cohen, thank you for posting that. I rank him right there with my favorite poet, Bob Dylan. A good poet creates images that everyone can relate to, even though people conjure up different mental pictures from the same poem.
My pleasure, and I'm glad both that you are already a fan, but that I could have something to do with the pleasure that that song can bring. It sends chills down my spine and makes my eyes wet. It's been running through my head all day since I listened to it and posted it.

OFF TOPIC: Leonard Cohen is one of a handful of singers that many people love that some musicians would say can't carry a tune, but we love them anyway. Ringo Starr, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead, and even Johnny Cash and Frank Sinatra.

Now I love every one of those voices, and love to hear each one sing. You might add Bob Dylan.
Charlie

Papeete, French Polynesia

#281 Sep 1, 2009
Deezil Wood wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religion is a crutch for the weak minded." -Jesse Ventura
Religiojn is nothing more than an attempt to explain what was previously unexplainable, and give hope to those cannot support themselves emotionally or mentally.
I have seen this sentiment expressed so often from atheists, that religion is for weak people. The implication is that atheists are strong people both emotionally and mentally. They evidently take pride in this idea, and so pride is most likely an important factor for atheists.

But this "strength" may simply be callous hard-heartedness or ruthlessness, the strength of a gangster.

Realistically, everybody needs help and support from time to time. Everyone needs to be loved and appreciated. People may turn to close friends and family when these needs hit them, but what happens to those who have no close friends and family? There are many people who are alone in the world. Some of these people turn to God, an imaginary friend for some, but real to those who believe in Him. Others are destroyed through drugs, alcohol, or quicker means of suicide. And still others become cold and lifeless atheists because their pride won't let them be weak and seek out the help of either man or God.

UNW I am Duc De Puce

“Researching”

Since: Jun 08

-

#282 Sep 1, 2009
America should become a country only for Christians.

Obama should be like Hitler and order all Atheists to be strung up to trees, and hung, while getting stones threw at their dead carcasses.

People are the Theism will get a worser punishment.
Charlie

#283 Sep 1, 2009
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the tip, Charlie, but I'll decide what I should do if it's OK with you.
Sure! It was just a suggestion, not a command.

But one is still curious. Just what do atheists believe in? Or is nihilism integral to atheism?
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#284 Sep 1, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<. The fact is that atheism uses science in order to support its dogma.
That isn't a fact. That is a fundie brain spasm. There is no dogma associated with atheism.
Charlie wrote:
<. I don't doubt that atheist have the ability to think for themselves. But like all thinking people, one has to begin with a premise. So, it's not the thinking ability of atheists that I question, but their premises..
What premise? You mean the premise "Since there is no evidence of magic flying toasters I lack belief in them"?
Charlie wrote:
<Prior to the popularity of the scientific method, atheism had no leg to stand on..
LOL. Ever read some of the sophisticated arguments against sky pixies by the ancient greeks?
Charlie wrote:
<There was not much credibility to atheistic arguments against the scholastics of antiquity..
Atheism does not need, and never has needed, an argument. The burden of proof of sky pixies is on you, the deluded.
Charlie wrote:
< Naturalism and science rescued atheism by throwing it a life preserver,.
The same science ignored religion and let it drown.
Charlie wrote:
<......... supporting its fundamental premise .
Still having trouble with identifying that premise?
Charlie wrote:
the natural world that did not have to rely on a deity..
The natural world has never relied on a deity.
Charlie wrote:
Atheism could not stand without science and the philosophy of naturalism that is at the heart of science.
Atheism stands on the logic one learns in kindergarten, unless one's parents lie and indoctrinate the innocent minds of the children.
Charlie

#285 Sep 1, 2009
tp talker wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in tooth fairy esque stories meant to cover up questioning authority or uncertainty or sexuality.
I believe in me. I don't need a GOD.
tp.
But the idea of God is so much more exalted than the idea of………you!
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#286 Sep 1, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen this sentiment expressed so often from atheists, that religion is for weak people.
That is stupid. Religion is obviously for people of every characteristic. However, religious people who attack and demean atheists, secular society and modern science, are quite weak minded.
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many people who are alone in the world. Some of these people turn to God, an imaginary friend for some, but real to those who believe in Him.
When you use the word 'real' that way, language ceases to have useful meaning.
Charlie wrote:
<. And still others become cold and lifeless atheists because their pride won't let them be weak and seek out the help of either man or God.
And this is where you go from being an annoying troll to a f**king piece of steaming xtian s**t. I have been an atheist for years and I know many others. I and most of them have rich, rewarding personal lives full of deep, meaningful relationships with family and friends. SO f**k off and go back to your cave.
Charlie

#287 Sep 1, 2009
Coolmind wrote:
I'm done having US policy and law bend to ancient myth and superstition. Sunday blue laws, bible beaters in congress "to do god's will", the C street Family, etc ... yikes!
Yes, it would be so much more preferable to have US policy and law bend to modern myth and superstition!
Charlie

#288 Sep 1, 2009
<quoted text>
Good post.
WARNING SIGNS OF A DESTRUCTIVE CULT
http://snipurl.com/riyiu
[1] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT TENDS TO BE TOTALITARIAN IN ITS CONTROL OF ITS MEMBERS' BEHAVIOR. Cults are likely to dictate in great detail not only what members believe, but also what members wear and eat, when and where members work, sleep, and bathe, and how members think, speak, and conduct familial, marital, or sexual relationships.
[2] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT TENDS TO HAVE AN ETHICAL DOUBLE STANDARD. Members are urged to be obedient to the cult, to carefully follow cult rules. They are also encouraged to be revealing and open in the group, confessing all to the leaders. On the other hand, outside the group they are encouraged to act unethically, manipulating outsiders or nonmembers, and either deceiving them or simply revealing very little about themselves or the group. In contrast to destructive cults, honorable groups teach members to abide by one set of ethics and act ethically and truthfully to all people in all situations.
[3] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT HAS ONLY TWO BASIC PURPOSES: RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS AND FUND-RAISING. Altruistic movements, established religions, and other honorable groups also recruit and raise funds. However, these actions are incidental to an honorable group's main purpose of improving the lives of its members and of humankind in general. Destructive cults may claim to make social contributions, but in actuality such claims are superficial and only serve as gestures or fronts for recruiting and fund-raising. A cult's real goal is to increase the prestige and often the wealth of the leader.
[4] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT APPEARS TO BE INNOVATIVE AND EXCLUSIVE. The leader claims to be breaking with tradition, offering something novel, and instituting the ONLY viable system for change that will solve life's problems or the world's ills. But these claims are empty and only used to recruit members who are then surreptitiously subjected to mind control to inhibit their ability to examine the actual validity of the claims of the leader and the cult.
[5] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT IS AUTHORITARIAN IN ITS POWER STRUCTURE. The leader is regarded as the supreme authority. He or she may delegate certain power to a few subordinates for the purpose of seeing that members adhere to the leader's wishes. There is no appeal outside his or her system to a greater system of justice. For example, if a schoolteacher feels unjustly treated by a principal, an appeal can be made to the superintendent. In a destructive cult, the leader claims to have the only and final ruling on all matters.
[6] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT'S LEADER IS A SELF-APPOINTED MESSIANIC PERSON CLAIMING TO HAVE A SPECIAL MISSION IN LIFE. For example, leaders of flying saucer cults claim that beings from outer space have commissioned them to lead people away from Earth, so that only the leaders can save them from impending doom.
[7] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT'S LEADER CENTERS THE VENERATION OF MEMBERS UPON HIMSELF OR HERSELF. Priests, rabbis, ministers, democratic leaders, and other leaders of genuinely altruistic movements focus the veneration of adherents on God or a set of ethical principles. Cult leaders, in contrast, keep the focus of love, devotion, and allegiance on themselves.
[8] A DESTRUCTIVE CULT'S LEADER TENDS TO BE DETERMINED, DOMINEERING, AND CHARISMATIC. Such a leader effectively persuades followers to abandon or alter their families, friends, and careers to follow the cult. The leader then takes control over followers' possessions, money, time, and lives.
OMG!! That's Obama and his cult-like followers! Except they're tying to do this even on those who are not members!
Charlie

#289 Sep 1, 2009
newanarchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do I need to believe in anything but myself?
Because you are so………inadequate!
Charlie

#290 Sep 1, 2009
<quoted text>
Science offers questions that may never be answered and makes you fly into outer space.
Religion offers answers that may never be questioned and makes you fly into buildings.
Not all science makes you fly into outer space, and not all religions make you fly into buildings.

I thought atheists were the rational thinkers here!

“Is that necessary?”

Since: Feb 09

Where I was born

#291 Sep 1, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for illustrating my previous points so nicely. So, this (above) is what is filling the vacuum in your empty?
Faulty premise. There is no "empty" to be filled. All is quite well as is.
The grandiose promises and impossible dreams of "science"?
You're kidding, right? Impossible dreams? You haven't been paying attention have you?
Pillm doctors and malpractice lawsuits, people worshipping hospitals as cathedrals?
Non sequitur
All garbage. Technology? So-called technology is enslaving us and making us dependent on it for meaningless applications. It seperates people instantly into haves and have-nots. connected and not-connected. It seperates and isolates people. Mindless consumerism?
Then, might I suggest you push the power button on your computer and walk away. We wouldn't want you to be a hypocrite, after all. Ooooops, don't look now, it's too late.
Gee, gosh golly a NEW WIDGET! You'd better go get that NEW WIDGET! Empty materialism. Treatments, cures, vaccinations? Feeding the pharmaceutical gods? Looking for magic pills? Who do you worship more, your doctor or your pharmacist?
As I mentioned before, I worship no one.
All emptiness, all going nowhere.
Yeah... no where at all. I mean, there hasn't been a scientific advancement since, well.. since sliced bread. That's the most absurd thing I've ever read, next to the buybull, of course.
I'd feel sorry for you but you know what?
You don't know how?
I feel sorrier for your son.
No reason to. He's quite well adjusted.
You've given him no moral grounding or imperatives.
He was born with his own morals. He knows it's wrong to kill someone, he knows it's wrong to steal, he knows it's wrong to kick puppies.... he didn't need me to teach him that. Evolution already instilled such things in him.
Just your situational ethics. Sad.
Situational ethics?

Situational like, it's ok to kill your own children? Torturing people is just fine, drowning a whole generation of people is great... your juju has no ethics, situational or otherwise.
Charlie

#292 Sep 1, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
What grand, inspiration are you following? I've expressed my centeral idea of life so many times on this thread for you jackasses, it is becoming boring. In short, I believe in the ability of man to find answers to his problems if left alone by the chickin little's dressed in sack-cloth crying the sky is falling and god says we can't do anything about it. I live my life to its fullest as it is the only one I have. I support efforts to help my fellow citizens, even if they believe in ghosts, goblins and sky fairies. I don't need some 6,000 year old book to tell me conduct is right or wrong. I avoid greed, as greed and religion go hand in hand. And I'm lucky to have a faithful wife for 52 years that tells me to shut up occasionally when I'm about to make a fool of myself. This means I respect women for their good sense and feel women make excellent partners in life. Men who are religious reject this equality between men and women and think women were put on earth to be a servant to men. About as stupid as you can get. That means I have taught my kids to respect women, to take responsability for anything they do. If they err,admit it, learn from it and move on. I believe in my country and resent any attempt by anyone to turn it into some theological domping ground, christian or otherwise. Now if you can find fault with that, you sancimonous scumbag, TS.
Ok, Jack, I get it. There is no central idea to your life. You can live with that and that's really all that's important. Nice talking to you.

UNW I am Duc De Puce

“Researching”

-

#293 Sep 1, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I treated my dog the way your supposed god treats his children, theyed put me in jail for animal cruelty.
What kind of idiot spells "you're" wrong?
Clearly somebody like you.
And how do you add an "e" in "they'd"?
Where do you get your sad education from?
And besides, the only way you would treat your dog wrong is by having sexual intercourses with it.
Hehe, we can just imagine your mom catching you and your dog in the bed.
The dog holding a a glass filled with red wine, while you're holding the wine bottle pouring wine in it.
Love music playing in the background.
Candles all over the place.
We are just laughing our heads off right now.

“Is that necessary?”

Since: Feb 09

Where I was born

#294 Sep 1, 2009
Bill Smith wrote:
Atheism, yet another dangerous religion.
Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color and NOT collecting stamps is a hobby.

UNW I am Duc De Puce

“Researching”

-

#295 Sep 1, 2009
<quoted text>
why come here and post taunts?
We found the rest of your posts illiterate to remark to.
We come here to posts my beliefs.
You, on the otherhand, like to correct others' posts.
You and your little tramp friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 min Regolith Based Li... 20,188
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 50 min Joncy David 45,413
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 417
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 9,499
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 278
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 1 hr Reason Personified 188
News Why Kasich's atheist criticisms seem out of touch 3 hr TrapMusic 25
More from around the web