Atheists on the march in America

There are 20 comments on the Aug 26, 2009, TurkishPress.com story titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#2488 Sep 9, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
...Normally I don't do atheist threads, they are thoroughly nasty people, but I might just stick around to chew you up and spit you out. Now what?
No, you just go out of your way to post on a thread with "atheists" in the title to show everybody how hateful and bigoted christians can be. It is this kind of display that is driving people away from religion.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2489 Sep 9, 2009
john wrote:
Atheists are such a small percentage of the population and don't kill in the name of their nothing, but, often because there is no standard they subject themselves to. If you didn't have to fight the inherent moral law so much nonbelievers would likely have killed us off by now. Percentage wise it's not even close between believers and nonbelievers. If you knew you could steal and never get caught would you? Why, why not?
No. Because I am a freethinker, and I look to my conscience, which tells me not to steal. I obey it like you obey the men in dresses that tell you what to do for them.

Besides, there's no forgiveness from my conscience if I betray myself:

“When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”– Emo Philips”

Now get a tissue and wipe yourself off. That was about the 100th position that I have presented in this forum that you have or will evade while crying about nothingness, pussyboy.

You project.

Fennario

#2490 Sep 9, 2009
john wrote:
That went out the window when the ignorance of no position was exposed and you resorted to transparent snark. Thank you it' yet another weakness in nothinking. Where were you when atheists were pointing out they don't organize, congregate or meet? The article begins when south florida atheists held their first meeting....... Alex is watching your ineptitude and cringing. Ready for that Christian forum example yet doctor duck? The stump has proven you wrong on several occassions, not that it matters but it's fun to remind someone with a God complex. I like pig also, but, knowing this you might not use it. Surprise me quack, quack. What position are you defending pre bang, pre bang, pre bang,,,,,,,,,,Stump the doctor and drive him to Mexico! Vote conservative and point at the nothing.
<quoted text>
"Vote conservative and point at the nothing."

Ouch!

You're just hanging there twisting in the wind and shouting threats. LOL.

“ad maiora nati sumus ”

Since: Sep 09

Justice Scalia is an Oxymoron

#2491 Sep 9, 2009
“A man who is convinced of the truth of his religion is indeed never tolerant. At the least, he is to feel pity for the adherent of another religion but usually it does not stop there. The faithful adherent of a religion will try first of all to convince those that believe in another religion and usually he goes on to hatred if he is not successful. However, hatred then leads to persecution when the might of the majority is behind it." Albert Einstein

“ad maiora nati sumus ”

#2492 Sep 9, 2009
Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue. Reported by the News-Sentinel, Fort Wayne, IN, 1993-AUG-16:
"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good...Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."

“ad maiora nati sumus ”

#2493 Sep 9, 2009
Science makes you fly over buildings
Faith makes you fly into buildings

Science makes you believe in reason
Faith makes you believe in terror

Science makes you live for truth
Faith makes you die for god

Vique's Law: A man without a religion is like a fish without a bicycle

“ad maiora nati sumus ”

#2494 Sep 9, 2009
The following is Albert Einstein's answer to question of whether man can be ethical or moral without believing in a god.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.(Albert Einstein, Religion and Science, New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.(Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

“ad maiora nati sumus ”

#2495 Sep 9, 2009
“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction”
-Blaise Paschal

Fennario

#2496 Sep 9, 2009
karl44 wrote:
this is all happening because
the USA is a predominantly christian nation - that is the source of the moral decay - the solution is obvious - the only question is:
will the USA realize the solution before it is too late?
You know my thoughts on that: no. How could it? Look at this forum as a microcosm of the nation. The ones that have been captured are irrevocably lost. They are permanent minions. And without their help, where's the hope? They're worse than dead weight. They function as their own and our enemies.

The resurgence of militant, political Christianity and reactionary uberpatriotism is an ominous sign for America.

What you have is a populace that has lost its ability - the wisdom - to recognize lying, malevolent sociopaths keep such people powerless.

We are surrounded by people who would be vicious dictators if given the chance - Bush, Cheney, Robertson, Dobson, etc. Such sociopaths are opportunists, and they opportunistic infections of an immunodeficient (intellectually and morally) population. In better times, they would kept at bay by the wiser members of society.

When the density of people who are willing to push back - analogous to killer T-lymphocytes - falls below a critical mass - as it does in AIDS - the population's ability to prevent a politically talented malevolent sociopath from taking control of their lives falls too low, and filth creeps in.

The role of Christianity in all of this is to cripple the intellect and conscience - the faculties that tell a person what is true/real and what is good/right - and to redirect the victim's attention outward to people speaking for god, whether that be a pastor, the President or the Furher.

The conservative Christian enablers just won't take a stand against wrong because they can't recognize or resist the danger. They know no history or philosophy. Just the bible.

And they trust the filth while despising the freethinking people that the filth have taught them to despise, the only ones trying to resist the filth.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2497 Sep 9, 2009
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
But not necessarily the President. Point?
Are you shitting me with this, Charlie?
Obviously this verbal sleight of hand is intended to try to absolve American Christianity of George Bush. Once again, as with Hitler, it's not whether you own up to or try to distance yourself from that biblical student and disciple of Christ, George Bush.
Speaking of verbal sleights of hand, Charlie, it's precious how the US is a Christian nation whenever that suits you, and a secular nation when a Christian embarrassment like Bush shows up. That's why we treat your conclusions as we do: they're borne of sophistry.
Back to Jayzus and America: You had a huge population of American Christians that uncritically voted for Bush because their priests, pastors and ministers told them to do so. Clergy referred to Kerry as "the abortionist," and some priests were threatening excommunication for voting for him.
That's what Jesus can do for a nation: flush it. You've got a huge fraction of America pithed, and zombified: "Less brains, more faith!" The rest of the public cannot live in a democratic society when there are so many easily manipulable people mixed in among them. The rest of us throw our hands up in wonderment how America can't solve a single problem.
Having clergy choose a president is a pretty stupid move, especially with such naďve clergy. Boy were they fooled! And just by seeing a bible in Bush's hands, which you didn’t see or hear about again after November 2004, when the prop was no longer needed, also the time the cowboy hat disappeared.
Despite their horrible judgment in 2000 and 2004, the clergy, these charlatans and societal parasites, were out pushing for Sarah Palin in 2008. LOL. Good call, Father Pedophilus. Stupid is as stupid does.
And you can't see why we don't respect your faith? Or you for choosing it? Or why we want its influence out of our lives. You guys suck at politics, for starters.
Well said!

“ad maiora nati sumus ”

#2498 Sep 9, 2009
<quoted text>
The resurgence of militant, political Christianity and reactionary uberpatriotism is an ominous sign for America.
What you have is a populace that has lost its ability - the wisdom - to recognize lying, malevolent sociopaths keep such people powerless.
We are surrounded by people who would be vicious dictators if given the chance - Bush, Cheney, Robertson, Dobson, etc. Such sociopaths are opportunists, and they opportunistic infections of an immunodeficient (intellectually and morally) population. In better times, they would kept at bay by the wiser members of society.
When the density of people who are willing to push back - analogous to killer T-lymphocytes - falls below a critical mass - as it does in AIDS - the population's ability to prevent a politically talented malevolent sociopath from taking control of their lives falls too low, and filth creeps in.
The role of Christianity in all of this is to cripple the intellect and conscience - the faculties that tell a person what is true/real and what is good/right - and to redirect the victim's attention outward to people speaking for god, whether that be a pastor, the President or the Furher.
The conservative Christian enablers just won't take a stand against wrong because they can't recognize or resist the danger. They know no history or philosophy. Just the bible.
And they trust the filth while despising the freethinking people that the filth have taught them to despise, the only ones trying to resist the filth.
I am reminded of how Hitler was able to persuaded German's Christian community the threat Jews posed to the safety and prosperity of the German nation.In fact, Hitler blamed the Jews for Germany’s defeat in WWI. Had Germany been composed of a large population of Freethinkers or Humanists instead of christian sheeps then his arguments about the Jews would have fallen of deaf ears and perhaps the Holocaust would not have happened.

Fennario

#2499 Sep 9, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the stink of Bush's 8 year rein is on all of you christians
christians supported him, christians own his moral failings.
just the same way you own the moral failings of the bible
this is not an indictment of the individual ( fodder that they are) but rather an assessment of the religion itself.
Christians let parasites ruin America. They listened uncritically to their politically incompetent clergy and obeyed.

That's why I say that being a liberal and secular American amongst a 50% admixture of Christo-reactionary zombies is like being in business with rain Man as your partner. You're just f*cked. Every good idea is misunderstood, and when you're not watching, he's selling the licensing rights for magic beans.

Fennario

#2500 Sep 9, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the serpent is the only one in the story who tells the truth
god is a liar and a backstabber in that story
an enabler and a dissembler
he knew they would fall
and then he blames their children --- forever
the story most resembles holy masturbation
http://snipurl.com/rpisy [cartoon synopsis of god blaming humanity for his own manufacturer's defect]

Fennario

#2501 Sep 9, 2009
karl44 wrote:
OK!!
let's hook up!!
which sex are you?
I'll bring the drugs.

[I love the order of your comments. LOL]

Fennario

#2502 Sep 9, 2009
Borg3of7 wrote:
Whew! I can't believe I've waded through this topic!!!! As an "Atheist" I would like a demonstration on how "Christian" or "mystic" morals are more refined or generally a better than my morals!!??
You read all of this before commenting. Into a root wad in the Current River with you! Just kidding. Welcome to the thread.

[I just moved from Poplar Bluff, Missouri last month. We had a cabin on the Current in Van Buren from 2003-06 and were the house band at the Mercantile (Tennessee Jed - mostly Grateful Dead covers) from 2001 until it closed around 2004. Maybe you saw us there. Dr. Lereaux and Dr. Samuels are acquaintances of mine. Small world.]
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#2504 Sep 9, 2009
<quoted text>
You know my thoughts on that.....
I think this post should be added to history books - it better explains Hitler's rise to power than anything else I've ever read

Fennario

#2505 Sep 9, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
read up on Madalyn Murray O'Hair, the most hated woman in America, founder of American Atheists.
That's still fascinating, but the most hated woman in America is Sarah Palin , the winner of this year's Iquitarod. What a piece of crap (closely followed by Ann Coulter and Octomom).

Look at all of this disgusting stuff:

GIVING UP: Losing an election, a slutty daughter ans a downer baby would make anybody want to. http://snipurl.com/rlifc

Quitter's World - Weak Excuses Issue: "Really, Why Bother?"
http://snipurl.com/ro161

Sarah Palin 2012 - 2014˝
http://snipurl.com/ro16j

Gallery of Palin Cartoons:
http://snipurl.com/ro1ag
nmweatherman wrote:
could you tone down your squirming and gnashing of teeth? Thank you.
Are the hallucinations back? Have you stopped taking your Abilify again? You seemed to be better controlled until this outburst and rant.

Is this what you mean by toned down?:

Q: What's the difference between Sarah Palin's mouth and her vagina?

A: Only half of the stuff that comes out of her vagina is retarded.

Fennario

#2506 Sep 9, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice! You're almost as nasty as Madalyn. Keep working at it! A little more gnashing of teeth!
Normally I don't do atheist threads, they are thoroughly nasty people, but I might just stick around to chew you up and spit you out. Now what?
Please stay.

Fennario

#2507 Sep 9, 2009
karl44 wrote:
keep the sexual references for your bible pals i am straight
Big set back for Alex.
Bill Smith

Mount Pleasant, SC

#2508 Sep 9, 2009
<quoted text>
Christians let parasites ruin America. They listened uncritically to their politically incompetent clergy and obeyed.
That's why I say that being a liberal and secular American amongst a 50% admixture of Christo-reactionary zombies is like being in business with rain Man as your partner. You're just f*cked. Every good idea is misunderstood, and when you're not watching, he's selling the licensing rights for magic beans.
That is the problem with most atheists. Instead of religion they pick the state to worship. Stateism is the "new" religion and it is just as deadly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min thertruth 238,095
News The Consequences of Atheism 23 min thertruth 1,313
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr thertruth 18,673
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 8 hr Richardfs 9,319
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 9 hr Liam R will return 31
News Confessions of a black atheist 9 hr Peaks 399
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 23 hr thetruth 2,059
More from around the web