Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

“No Bishop,No King,No Nobility”

Since: May 08

The Underworld

#2018 Sep 6, 2009
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you mean that you make sure NOT to use them whenever you don't have any?
Well no...

Sometimes I have to mail something, so I need to get stamps, but I make sure I use them so I don't end up with a collection of them lying about.

Just like sometimes I have to play around with Christian things because I have to participate in family gatherings, but I try not to make a religion out of it.

I don't particularly like mailing letters, but sometimes I have to.

“l'enfer, c'est les autres”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#2019 Sep 6, 2009
It aint necessarily so wrote:
It's a big part of why I left. It's what I wish to avoid. It's what you wannabe patriots wish for.
No, you left because you couldn't handle anything here in the states. Run along now...let Americans tend to American things...you tend to your adopted Mexican things. That's just where you belong BTW.

The Underworld

#2020 Sep 6, 2009
melevy wrote:
Legal meanings do not equal philosophical meanings.
Excellent point.

Legally, a tomato is a vegetable.
Neocons are cowards

Buffalo, NY

#2021 Sep 6, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get it. You never will. Yeshua taught Christians that Father God was loving and patient. Like the prodigal son, Father God is just waiting to have you return, to shine His love on you. Atheists keep referencing the Old Testament as if it is somehow connected to Christians. The Old Testament is the Hebrew's torah, the first five books of Moses. It reflects Hebrew history and laws and beliefs. Even Yeshua was a Hebrew (now Jews) who told the people..."wait...look at this!" Christians reference the Old Testament for prophecy. The Christian Gospel is the New Testament. But people like you play these apples and oranges mind-games, stroking your egos endlessly, mental masturbation.
I will never deny my God, nor would I even think of denying Yeshua. You godless on the other hand, who worship "mankind" and all its dubious "achievements" will deny each other at the drop of a hat. Abuse, betray and abandon each other on a moment's notice.
You don't get it. You never will. I would feel sorry for you but it is such a beautiful Sabbath day in Albuquerque. I have higher thoughts to think.
Your thoughts are by no means higher, just different. There are plenty of reasons are atheists. You are not better than them.

You, like 99% of the people on earth, were born into their religion. You are not better than a buddhist, muslim, or jew. You were simply born to different parents.

Also, not all athests are "Godless" as you call it. I do believe in God, but i find no use for any organized religion. And even thoughI identify myself as Christian, I would never be so POMPOUS as to believe taht my religion is the only way to heaven. That type of thinking is just plain ignorant.

You will likely tell me that Christianity if the only path to heaven, because the bible says so. Again, that is ignorant. If God creates all men, and you MUST be christian to go to heaven, why then would God create non Christians?

Its simple question like that which lead people to be atheist. Im happy you have found a faith that works for you. Howver, i suggest you open you mind a bit and stop being so conceited about your faith.

The Underworld

#2022 Sep 6, 2009
deer three pink wrote:
If, for you, there is no God, there never will be.
I would not go that far.

For me, it's all in how you define it. Some definitions are more reasonable than others. Some are even acceptable.

Even the definition least acceptable to me lies in the realm of possibilities in my mind. However, what god turns out to be, if anything, will affect whether I want to be near it.

If there turns out to be a god, and it turns out to be the kind I would find acceptable in some form or another, then it would not mind that I didn't believe in it.

If it turns out to be the kind that would seek to punish me for not believing, then I wouldn't want to be near it anyways.

Either way I'm fine with it. I really would rather burn in hell than spend eternity with the kind of prick that would banish souls to hell for not being completely obedient. The idea of worshiping that kind of god makes me sick.
deer three pink wrote:
Must we continue to piss all over each other for a clearly subjective difference of opinion. Yes, opinion. Believers note! Opinion = belief if it cannot be objectified. Be comfortable with that.
While I thank you for not directing that completely at atheists, I feel the need to point out that all most of us want is to be left alone to do our own thing, when there are attempts all around us to force religion on us and attack our character simply for not believing.

I think we have a right to stand up sometimes and say "enough!" When a child is being ridiculed and the school is doing nothing to protect them because they're a "godless heathen" I think we have the right to say "enough!" I think when religious groups are trying to add praises of god to our government institutions that have nothing to do with god I think we have every right to say "enough!"
Observer

Dayton, OH

#2023 Sep 6, 2009
Path wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent point.
Scientifically, a tomato is a fruit, since it's seeds are inside.
Legally, the law doesn't give a damn which it is.

Location hidden

#2024 Sep 6, 2009
Path wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent point.
Sorry to enlighten you:

The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit.

“Is that necessary?”

Since: Feb 09

Where I was born

#2025 Sep 6, 2009
deer three pink wrote:
<quoted text>
Exaggerated sense of self importance? You bet. But I think the 'doot' suffers from histrionic personality disorder. If I am right, he (it) will not make it through a four year term. He will not tolerate the lack of positive attention. Sudden, acute myocardial infarction by the end of 2010. Probably in November when all of his buddies get their butts kicked out of Congress. Keep your fingers crossed!
Did you just wish death to the President of the United States? What a vile and pernicious little troll you are. How about I return the favor? Die in a fire.

“Is that necessary?”

Where I was born

#2026 Sep 6, 2009
deer three pink wrote:
<quoted text>
'Doot'! The single belief is that there is no God. Go back to sleep.
No... not single BELIEF, Dolt. Single BELIEF SYSTEM. I realize that the subject matter is well beyond your ability to comprehend, but do try to keep up, will ya?

Location hidden

#2027 Sep 6, 2009
Neocons are cowards wrote:
You will likely tell me that Christianity if the only path to heaven, because the bible says so. Again, that is ignorant. If God creates all men, and you MUST be christian to go to heaven, why then would God create non Christians?
I will likely tell you nothing. I came to Yeshua recently in extremis, needing help, and He was there. I was "born" into the Mormon Church but I have been around a lot since. I won't list all the religions I checked out. Today I do not belong to any congregation or synagogue or organized religion. My relationship with Yeshua is private and personal. I drag no one into it. IMHO, Father God created "non-Christians" because, simply, there are many paths to God. An atheist's "path" is a path to nowhere.
Neocons are cowards wrote:
Its simple question like that which lead people to be atheist. Im happy you have found a faith that works for you. Howver, i suggest you open you mind a bit and stop being so conceited about your faith.
People are led to be atheists because they fall into the trap of worshipping "mankind" and "science." The exhibit to me a desperate lack of self-esteem, which they try to compensate for by massaging their egos and trying to sound intellectual. The outcome of this malady is, of course, they need to attack and snipe at Christians. They are so literal-minded about the government and our Constitution, etc., that they exhibit fixed, concrete thinking, another malady.

I was open enough when I needed Him that I let Him into my life. Surprise...! He was there all along. When I began searching for Him, blessed Yeshua found me. I don't need acceptance, I do not need praise, I do not need intellectual circle-jerks. I do not need to prosetylize (all though I will confess Yeshua if asked). All I need is Him, nothing else.

Wow, what a beautiful Sabbath day in Albuquerque.

“Is that necessary?”

Where I was born

#2028 Sep 6, 2009
John wrote:
Science is not equipped to measure that. I don't believe it.
<quoted text>
Define "inferiority", and science can most definitely measure the level of insecurities in humans. Would you care to recant now? No? Didn't think so. Hypocrites like you will hold onto your delusions like a dog does a bone.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2029 Sep 6, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm proud to have served my country. I didn't run to Canada (or Mexico). You however probably never served. I am guessing but I think you'tre in that God-forsaken country of Mexico because you're on drugs or like cheap putas. Or you're a loser on a pension who couldn't make it in America. Where I stood and fought, you cut and ran.
It's really easy to sit behind a computer in a third-world failed state and criticize the US and its military, isn't it? Big, brave man. When the crooked federales come to shake you down, put their mordido on your ass, don't come crying to the US Embassy or me...we don't need you.
Have a nice day.
Ouch. I must have hit a nerve there.

“Is that necessary?”

Where I was born

#2030 Sep 6, 2009
Psychology wrote:
Interesting?
Who's smarter? Atheists, or satan?
Hell, satan himself even believes in GOD. That's why satan tries to temp people and lead them away from GOD.
Your boogey man doesn't exist either.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2031 Sep 6, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
Run along now...let Americans tend to American things...you tend to your adopted Mexican things. That's just where you belong BTW.
Agreed

“Is that necessary?”

Where I was born

#2032 Sep 6, 2009
John wrote:
I'm really dense or I just wandered into a forum filled with inarticulate nothings. I bet you have a position to defend on that one.
<quoted text>
You're just dense.

The Underworld

#2033 Sep 6, 2009
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientifically, a tomato is a fruit, since it's seeds are inside.
Legally, the law doesn't give a damn which it is.
No seriously...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden

The law does indeed care; for tax and tariff purposes. They don't care what science and botanists say... it's legally a vegetable. LOL

“Is that necessary?”

Where I was born

#2034 Sep 6, 2009
deer three pink wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you are trying to say so let's make a new word. Let call the word 'nontheist' to describe a person who does not acknowledge God.
There is no need to come up with any new terminology. The term "atheist" covers that already. I do not believe in your sky-daddy, I do not believe in the multiple sky-daddys/mommies that the hindus believe in, I do not believe in the sky-animals that the native Americans believed in, I do not believe in the gods and demigods that the greeks and romans believed in.... and on and on. It means that I am WITHOUT theism. I do not believe in these theistic ideas that are presented by religites, regardless of the breed of religite. See.. we just saved some time and trouble, the word already exists to describe it.
Using that definition there would not, and could not, be nontheism since an 'ism' is a distinctive doctrine. Nontheists would not acknowledge God so there would be no need for them to establish their 'beliefs' on the side of a bus.
As soon as you and your cousins stop trying to legislate using your prospective superstitions (mainly the xstains), once you quit trying to force your myths onto others and insist that they be called fact.. there will be no need for "side of the bus campaigns".
Nontheists would not 'push back' on believers, as do atheists, because nontheists would not, in any way, accept the tenets (that's a good word, tenet) of modern day, commercial religion.
Live and let live, Coolio!
Live and let live, indeed. And do not propose that the rest of the world, especially those of us who are able to think critically and rationally, share your propensity to subscribe to myths, faerie-tales and folk stories as reality.

The Underworld

#2035 Sep 6, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to enlighten you:
The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit.
Sorry, but you can't enlighten the enlightened.

How does this prove the law is more correct than a botanist?

It does not. You only further my point that the legal definition is not the end all be all.

Scientifically, there is no such thing as a vegetable.

“Is that necessary?”

Where I was born

#2036 Sep 6, 2009
WaxBirds wrote:
Does not matter whether we believe or disbelieve.
The facts are that we all get to meet JESUS & GOD one day. Count on it. Or, don't count on it. Still gonna happen.
Doesn't matter whether we believe or disbelieve.

The facts are that we all get to meet The Flying Spaghetti Monster one day. Count on it. Or, don't count on it. Still gonna happen.
Neocons are cowards

Buffalo, NY

#2037 Sep 6, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
I will likely tell you nothing. I came to Yeshua recently in extremis, needing help, and He was there. I was "born" into the Mormon Church but I have been around a lot since. I won't list all the religions I checked out. Today I do not belong to any congregation or synagogue or organized religion. My relationship with Yeshua is private and personal. I drag no one into it. IMHO, Father God created "non-Christians" because, simply, there are many paths to God. An atheist's "path" is a path to nowhere.
<quoted text>
People are led to be atheists because they fall into the trap of worshipping "mankind" and "science." The exhibit to me a desperate lack of self-esteem, which they try to compensate for by massaging their egos and trying to sound intellectual. The outcome of this malady is, of course, they need to attack and snipe at Christians. They are so literal-minded about the government and our Constitution, etc., that they exhibit fixed, concrete thinking, another malady.
I was open enough when I needed Him that I let Him into my life. Surprise...! He was there all along. When I began searching for Him, blessed Yeshua found me. I don't need acceptance, I do not need praise, I do not need intellectual circle-jerks. I do not need to prosetylize (all though I will confess Yeshua if asked). All I need is Him, nothing else.
Wow, what a beautiful Sabbath day in Albuquerque.
So in Sumary, You believe that you are Right, and the rest of God's creation is wrong and doomed to hell?

You truly are lost!

Face facts, The ONLY reason religion exists is so man can come to terms with his own mortality. Yours is no different! Seriously, Get over yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min Eagle 12 231,928
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr rfirma 1,028
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Gillette 5,946
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Pahu 1,422
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 23 hr thetruth 14,445
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism Tue thetruth 25
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Tue Catholic Girl 27

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE