Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3550
Next Last

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1 Aug 27, 2009
Go FLASH!

(read the article if you don't know what I'm talking about)
Publius2

Chico, CA

#2 Aug 27, 2009
Why is it so improtant for atheists to evangelize?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 Aug 27, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
So religion doesn't drive us back to the dark ages. Look at the muslim world. No thanks.

Really, though, it's not so much evangalizing as it is making our presence known, so others don't feel isolated and we can collectively demand our equal rights and a secular government.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#4 Aug 27, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
Why is it so important for christians to evangelize?

What's the matter, can't take the competition?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Carrot_Stick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Aug 27, 2009
I need to join and send them some money. Thanks for the reminder.
Crash

Austin, TX

#6 Aug 27, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
I am an atheist. But you know what? I do not want to be evangelized, I just want to be left the f*ck alone and not have anyone push their false manipulative religion on me or my family.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
john

United States

#7 Aug 27, 2009
Unfortunately, many atheists are antitheists. Foreshadowing where this thread will end up I'll ask a simple question. What position are defending? Disbelief is not belief, and mocking religion/God is usually the response to a simple question. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#8 Aug 27, 2009
john wrote:
Unfortunately, many atheists are antitheists. Foreshadowing where this thread will end up I'll ask a simple question. What position are defending? Disbelief is not belief, and mocking religion/God is usually the response to a simple question. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
That's a simple question; I believe I'll have another drink.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#9 Aug 27, 2009
john wrote:
I believe that man has made 1000's of god over the years.The christian god is just one of them.

I believe the earth tobe billions of years old.

I believe the earth tobe a sphere and that the earth rotates around the sun.

I believe man evolved from lower life forms.

I believe that the number of atheist well keep growing.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Aug 27, 2009
1. Sure that's obvious. However, that's disbelief. 1,000's claimed to be Elvis, but, one was. Maybe if you had something to defend we could discuss further.
2.great
3.fine
4.wonderful
5.so what.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. Science that's repeatable and observable.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#11 Aug 28, 2009
John wrote:
1. Sure that's obvious. However, that's disbelief. 1,000's claimed to be Elvis, but, one was. Maybe if you had something to defend we could discuss further.
2.great
3.fine
4.wonderful
5.so what.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. Science that's repeatable and observable.
Elvis,thats all you got? I know Elvis was real people wrote about him when he was still alive.

What you never observed a fossil?Go to a museum. Science is observable and repeatable.

Let me guess.You don't like the theory of evolution. There are hundreds of theories out there.What other theories do you have a problem with? I find it amusing that the only theory that most people have a problem with is evolution.The scientific method used is the same with all theories.

Evolution is REAL Science 2
John

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Aug 28, 2009
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis,thats all you got? I know Elvis was real people wrote about him when he was still alive.
What you never observed a fossil?Go to a museum. Science is observable and repeatable.
Let me guess.You don't like the theory of evolution. There are hundreds of theories out there.What other theories do you have a problem with? I find it amusing that the only theory that most people have a problem with is evolution.The scientific method used is the same with all theories.
Evolution is REAL Science 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =--7EATUyzXQXX
You don't get it even when I spelled it out for you in advance. What are you defending? I have yet to see an antitheist be able to post a substantive position without attacking someone else's belief system. Worry about something of your own to believe in. When you find your nothing let me know and we will discuss whatever you would like.

Until then nothing is all you got and it's ridiculously pompous in light of the fact to act pompous about it.

Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#13 Aug 28, 2009
John wrote:
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
"Belief," as you're using it here, implies some sort of faith in the unprovable, untestable or otherwise fantastical. Therefore, according to your use of the word, I don't actually believe *anything*. I deal in facts and honest theory.

There are things that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, and things that I suspect to be true or false based on a preponderance of evidence. I do not share your concepts of faith and belief.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Crash

Austin, TX

#14 Aug 28, 2009
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.".........Thomas Paine
infidel

Charleston, SC

#15 Aug 28, 2009
Most atheists do not evangelize. That some do illustrates the enormous range of diversity among us. All that we have in common is that we've given up faith in deities. Some of us regret the necessity to do that and wish they could believe. Some are relived and feel a new sense of intellectual freedom. Some feel anger towards the religious institutions that have wasted so much of our time and distorted our views of reality for so long, and some are at peace with themselves and with the theists around them.

We also have a wide rage of answers to that question, "What do you believe?" I only know my own: I believe that the most important human attribute is simple human kindness and that anger blinds us to truth and prevents us from showing that kindness. I believe that anger is best treated as a psychic injury that heals best when not aggravated, that when it strikes the wisest response is to feel it, acknowledge it, and let it fade like a bruise while we deal with the stimulus of that anger with detachment, free from that anger. I believe that the greatest joys are found in finding love, creating beauty, and exploring the world of ideas and knowledge.

Ask another atheist and you will get entirely different answers. The path to atheism frees us from the kinds of intellectual or philosophical lockstep that would otherwise keep us from attaining escape velocity and going forth to explore the larger universe of ideas, a universe so vast that there is unexplored territory for all who begin that adventure.
john

United States

#16 Aug 28, 2009
Give me the observable and repeatable example that will explain origin. I have yet to say what I believe, purposefully until there is some sort of position antitheists want to defend. You believe in science, logic, ok you don't have a monopoly on that. I'm not being glig when I point out without a dragon to chase you are left with nothing. It's starting already and I guarrantee you the responses that attack God will continue and will not mask the deflection of the nothing. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
Comhradh wrote:
<quoted text>
"Belief," as you're using it here, implies some sort of faith in the unprovable, untestable or otherwise fantastical. Therefore, according to your use of the word, I don't actually believe *anything*. I deal in facts and honest theory.
There are things that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, and things that I suspect to be true or false based on a preponderance of evidence. I do not share your concepts of faith and belief.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#17 Aug 28, 2009
john wrote:
.... You believe in science, logic, ok you don't have a monopoly on that....<quoted text>
apparently we do

since beleivers fail to understand basic science concepts, the scientific method and the rules of logic and even proper debate form

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#18 Aug 28, 2009
john wrote:
Give me the observable and repeatable example that will explain origin. I have yet to say what I believe, purposefully until there is some sort of position antitheists want to defend.
Let's be clear on one thing, johnny, no one really cares what you believe or don't, although it is pretty obvious from the tenor of your posts. I am not obligated to defend or justify my position to you. You believe what you want, and I'll not believe what I want.

Ta ta.
john

United States

#19 Aug 28, 2009
You posted nonsense, not science.
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
apparently we do
since beleivers fail to understand basic science concepts, the scientific method and the rules of logic and even proper debate form
john

United States

#20 Aug 28, 2009
Ok, that is reasonable. Perhaps I'm being unfair because of other threads. There is a difference between atheism and antitheism that usually ends up with attacks from one side or another. In a debate each party needs a position to defend . I can do a pretty good job of questioning science if all I have to do is throw out what ifs and theories that were once axiomatic that are no longer. So, if this isn't the case- wonderful. I doubt it though. I didn't think asking for a position was such a difficult task to fulfill.
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Let's be clear on one thing, johnny, no one really cares what you believe or don't, although it is pretty obvious from the tenor of your posts. I am not obligated to defend or justify my position to you. You believe what you want, and I'll not believe what I want.
Ta ta.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3550
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min Eagle 12 227,363
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min Eman 22,000
Stump a theist with 2 questions 4 hr CunningLinguist 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 6 hr sriKim 120
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Jaimie 68
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 8 hr Patrick 178
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 13 hr Patrick 4,085
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••