Americans are abandoning religion in ...

Americans are abandoning religion in droves

There are 90 comments on the Ukiah Blog Live story from Sep 21, 2013, titled Americans are abandoning religion in droves. In it, Ukiah Blog Live reports that:

In the two years leading up to his death this past February, the legal and political philosopher Ronald Dworkin was completing a slim volume with a weighty title.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ukiah Blog Live.

LCNLin

United States

#66 Nov 29, 2013
Einstein rejected the label atheist.

Einstein stated: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one.

You may call me an Agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the Professional Atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth.

I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#67 Nov 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Einstein rejected the label atheist.
Einstein stated: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one.
You may call me an Agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the Professional Atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth.
I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
Dawkins is happy to be called agnostic too. He's 6.9 on his 0 to 7 scale.

Secular, agnostic and atheist are largely irrelevant to us non-believers. They might be useful for theology.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#69 Nov 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Surely it depends what the choice is.

What if someone advocated using black magic to harm others?
Would you respect that choice?
Really? I tend to stick with logical options.
LCNLin

United States

#70 Nov 29, 2013
Imagurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic of the professional historian.
Fanatics seem amusing.
LCNLin

United States

#71 Nov 29, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Dawkins is happy to be called agnostic too. He's 6.9 on his 0 to 7 scale.
Secular, agnostic and atheist are largely irrelevant to us non-believers. They might be useful for theology.
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Evangelical atheists are not to be confused with normal atheists or agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their perogative.

Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'. Often examples of O. C. D>
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#72 Nov 29, 2013
Good news.

But yes, there really is a demented guy on this forum explaining how to hurt others with black magic.
Imagurl wrote:
<quoted text>
John In the Wilderness

San Jose, CA

#73 Nov 29, 2013
Americans are abandoning religion simply because religion is being exposed for being what it is, a myth based system of coping with a predatory universe that primitive humanity understandably feared.

Religion is like whistling when you walk by a graveyard. It doesn't really accomplish anything but distract you from facing the fear of the unknown that you are suppressing and the graveyard is reminding you of.

Since humans have the ability to rationalize to the extreme, and what we believe affects what we perceive, those myths invented to calm down children by our ancestors were reinforced with delusions and mass hallucinations down through the ages to give us the many religions we have today.

To many, even today, these myths of our ancient ancestors are the colored glasses with which they perceive reality.

When you threaten the delusions that people hold you are attacking their survival strategy of looking at the world through the glasses their religion provided them with . When you seek to expose these myths for what they are, in their eyes, you are posing a threat to the their existence.

Religions die hard as we can see by the many wars that have been fought down through the years over who's got the right one.

But all is not lost :)

We have confirmed that the Cosmos is one unified whole!

Life is what it is and it is not the various visions seen through various combinations of colored glasses handed to those who have joined one of the thousands of myth based religions that still exist today.

More and more, the only way religions build their ranks is when people are born into them.

It's impossible today for any reasonably intelligent young person to believe that men are made out of mud, women are made out of a man's ribs and somehow this combination of mud and ribs built the civilization that measures time today with an atomic clock.

People have to be brainwashed today in order to accept the supposedly "common sense" of our ancestors based on the very limited perception of what is that our ancestors had.

The only way this brainwashing being done by religions today can happen is if religious converts have no choice in the matter and no awareness of the alternatives to what a specific religion is offering them.

This is why religions today encourage their flocks to reproduce blindly. It's the only way other than luring people back and forth between each other that any of these religions can get any converts!

Too many vulnerable innocent children are still being born into this madness.

This is the sad reality we need to fix if we want to consider ourselves a civilized planet.

We are literally one organic whole! All of us!

The full implications of this exciting scientific discovery made in the 21st century is uncertain but fearing the unknown rather than examining it is kind of like cursing the darkness instead of lighting a candle.

Religion keeps us in the darkness we curse, science provides us with the candles we need to find our way back to to the reality that religion led us away from.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

#74 Nov 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Evangelical atheists are not to be confused with normal atheists or agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their perogative.
Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'. Often examples of O. C. D>
You would never hear from atheists, if religious people would keep their religion private, out of government, out of Schools, out of science, etc. In other words, STFU.

What are you going to do in 30 years, as the world, particularly western societies, progressively become more non-religious? Knowledge, logic and reason is literally killing your religion. Why else would right wing Christians want to stifle the minds of young children.

Texas GOP - Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)(values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE)(mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

In other words, don't let our kids think, let the parents tell them what they believe, even if it's false.
LCNLin

United States

#75 Nov 29, 2013
Cujo wrote:
<quoted text>
You would never hear from atheists, if religious people would keep their religion private, out of government, out of Schools, out of science, etc. In other words, STFU.
What are you going to do in 30 years, as the world, particularly western societies, progressively become more non-religious? Knowledge, logic and reason is literally killing your religion. Why else would right wing Christians want to stifle the minds of young children.
Texas GOP - Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)(values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE)(mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
In other words, don't let our kids think, let the parents tell them what they believe, even if it's false.
Tea Party Republican followers of atheist Ayn Rand are also pushing this in Texas and the Red States. Look it up!
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#76 Nov 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
To help you out with your OCD on the Atheism forum, L...
http://www.ocfoundation.org/whatisocd.aspx...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/evangelism
I'm just countering your propaganda and attempts to misrepresent the views of non-believers, LCN.

Religion = superstition
Get over it

Location hidden

#77 Nov 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Good news.

But yes, there really is a demented guy on this forum explaining how to hurt others with black magic.
That sounds like he has a personal problem. Certainly nothing Id be concerned about. Let him rant and dwell in his own miserable head.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

#78 Nov 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Tea Party Republican followers of atheist Ayn Rand are also pushing this in Texas and the Red States. Look it up!
Who cares whether Ayn Rand is an atheist. Atheism isn't an ideology, and hers sucks, right along with the tea baggers.
LCNLin

United States

#79 Nov 29, 2013
Cujo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares whether Ayn Rand is an atheist. Atheism isn't an ideology, and hers sucks, right along with the tea baggers.
.....she was on Medicare, only wanted to keep others off.
selfish bytch

“Quite Contrary”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#80 Nov 29, 2013
I don't understand why athiests must hate God. I'm not a fanatic. I hate hypocracy, which is why I left my church at 18. I saw people not living what they had taught me they believed my whole life. Belief isn't a problem. Organized religion often is because they are full of people, and people can wreck anything.
I have no problem hearing others state their beliefs or even try to influence mine. I can choose not to listen or I can tell them their argument is without merit, but I do not lash out at them for being of a different mind. If I think they're crazy, I just keep it to myself.
I do have some rules for picking those out.
If their church requires them to recruit or perform any other tasks to earn spiritual credit, stay away from them or try to make them see that they are being used, but anger is unnecessary.

Location hidden

#81 Nov 29, 2013
NinaRocks wrote:
I don't understand why athiests must hate God. I'm not a fanatic. I hate hypocracy, which is why I left my church at 18. I saw people not living what they had taught me they believed my whole life. Belief isn't a problem. Organized religion often is because they are full of people, and people can wreck anything.
I have no problem hearing others state their beliefs or even try to influence mine. I can choose not to listen or I can tell them their argument is without merit, but I do not lash out at them for being of a different mind. If I think they're crazy, I just keep it to myself.
If their church requires them to recruit or perform any other tasks to earn spiritual credit, stay away from them or try to make them see that they are being used, but anger is unnecessary.
This goes along with what I stated earlier. There will always be fanatics in all genres. I am an atheist and I even enjoy reading or hearing about different religions. It's all about freedom and respect.

Location hidden

#82 Nov 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>1. Atheists love to make fun of those who believe.

2. Atheist get upset when others make fun of their philosophy :-)
How many atheist do you actually know and converse with regularly. I know many and none of us poke fun or make fun of others choices.

Location hidden

#83 Nov 29, 2013
NinaRocks wrote:
We can't hate something we don't believe exists.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

#84 Nov 29, 2013
NinaRocks wrote:
We can't hate something we don't believe in. That being said, this God character in the Bible is an evil prick, to be sure!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#85 Nov 29, 2013
God is getting ready to burst onto the world scene but her religion does not conform to any established religion. It is the word of the living God as found in the OT. Both Muslims and Jews worship this God but not in truth or in righteousness. God will create a new religion called the Truth and it will welcome the righteous of all races, creeds, and colors. The wicked will be cut off by fire and eventually there will be no more war. The entire OT will be fulfilled. God keeps her promises and blessed are all those who have waited for her.
LCNLin

United States

#86 Nov 29, 2013
Imagurl wrote:
<quoted text>
How many atheist do you actually know and converse with regularly. I know many and none of us poke fun or make fun of others choices.
Agreed, many of my friends.

I am talking about the evangelical atheists on thread.
the funny ones, those who make fun of faith,
while not seeing the humor in atheism as a philosophy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min dollarsbill 12,907
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min dollarsbill 247,759
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 33 min thetruth 2,358
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 35 min thetruth 47,900
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 43 min Thinking 60
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr Thinking 30
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Wed macumazahn 20,900
More from around the web