A Proof That God Exists

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#591 Apr 11, 2013
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
By necessity it must be!
;)
Exactly!

If they had proof? They'd not be .... faithful.

:)
Thinking

Bolton, UK

#592 Apr 12, 2013
I hadn't seen it since I was a child.
It clearly went the dippy trippy hippy music route.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good one-- but it doesn't display the units.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#593 Apr 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Infinite" is merely conceptual, and nothing has ever existed or ever will exist that is infinite.
"Infinite" does not exist and has never existed, therefore your post is absolute nonsense in its entirety.
A fundie arguing against God. Hm.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#594 Apr 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a one-hole flute player.
You're a defeated creationist with no proof of god, trying and failing to lie about atheists.

At the end of the day your actual beliefs are ridiculous: You believe that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs and that fossils aren't "real".

Your beliefs override anything you have to say in this forum about science or atheism - you're mentally ill.
Lincoln

United States

#595 Apr 12, 2013
The is no "settled history" :-)
History is an endless argument seeking new information and contrasting viewpoints.

Metaphysical victories are an illusion.
Imhotep

Parrish, FL

#596 Apr 12, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
RPG was the one iconic language I was never exposed to very much.
:)
Have you ever seen actual magnetic core memory? I have--it's pretty cool, wires strung at right-angles, with a little iron ring (magnetic) captured at each junction. Passing moderate current through the two intersecting wires causes the iron ring to rotate, changing which way is north. To read the bit, very weak electrical current determines which way north is.
It's not that fast-- but it was being driven by tubes, so that wasn't a problem.
But it was physically large-- and tedious to assemble, and addressing individual bits require direct wiring to two connections-- two wires per bit is a lot of wires....
... but it never lost data with power outages... it was "static".
:)
I also saw an old drum memory cylinder-- effing huge, but only held a few meg... and access was slow too--the read-head was driven by a worm screw.
Still faster than tape, though.
:)
I never have seen a drum memory cylinder

In college we learned on an IBM 360
source code entered on 9 edge cards these cards were then placed into a card reader which compiled the program for you

, Nasty joke among the students was to misplace a couple cards in the stack one thing out of exact sequence would cause failure!

Then it was off to a host of other IBM computers over the years

Needless to say much is changed since those early days

The power of RPG is extraordinary it's an IBM developed language for IBM computers

IBM green screen will outrun any PC application hands-down. It just doesn't look windows pretty that's all
Imhotep

Parrish, FL

#597 Apr 12, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
RPG was the one iconic language I was never exposed to very much.
:)
Have you ever seen actual magnetic core memory? I have--it's pretty cool, wires strung at right-angles, with a little iron ring (magnetic) captured at each junction. Passing moderate current through the two intersecting wires causes the iron ring to rotate, changing which way is north. To read the bit, very weak electrical current determines which way north is.
It's not that fast-- but it was being driven by tubes, so that wasn't a problem.
But it was physically large-- and tedious to assemble, and addressing individual bits require direct wiring to two connections-- two wires per bit is a lot of wires....
... but it never lost data with power outages... it was "static".
:)
I also saw an old drum memory cylinder-- effing huge, but only held a few meg... and access was slow too--the read-head was driven by a worm screw.
Still faster than tape, though.
:)
Postscript to my previous reply to you

Well I was in college circa 1976 there was no such thing as a PC I've seen the evolution of both the PC and the Internet

IBM Should have pursued OS/2 as it is Mr. Gates became a billionaire with Windows

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#598 Apr 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I hadn't seen it since I was a child.
It clearly went the dippy trippy hippy music route.
<quoted text>
Still was a good film though.

:)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#599 Apr 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a defeated creationist with no proof of god, trying and failing to lie about atheists.
At the end of the day your actual beliefs are ridiculous: You believe that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs and that fossils aren't "real".
Your beliefs override anything you have to say in this forum about science or atheism - you're mentally ill.
Without a doubt Butt Cricket is mentally ill.

And not just the religious bits-- he demonstrates classic mental illness in several different forms.

All of them ugly, and indicative of someone socially unable to function in a normal society.

He did let slip a while back, that he's frequently in either prison or mental hospital (likely a combination of both...)

He's truly a sad specimen of fail.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#600 Apr 12, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I never have seen a drum memory cylinder
In college we learned on an IBM 360
source code entered on 9 edge cards these cards were then placed into a card reader which compiled the program for you
, Nasty joke among the students was to misplace a couple cards in the stack one thing out of exact sequence would cause failure!
Then it was off to a host of other IBM computers over the years
Needless to say much is changed since those early days
The power of RPG is extraordinary it's an IBM developed language for IBM computers
IBM green screen will outrun any PC application hands-down. It just doesn't look windows pretty that's all
I learned computing using punch cards myself-- I used to have several boxes of my programs, just for nostalgia. I don't remember what happened to them, though. Oh well. Used punch cards were common fodder for crafts -- an activity that is now strictly historical...

:)

I got pretty darn good at running those IBM punch-card encoding machines-- I even learned how to "program" macros in them-- you carefully created a special punch-card, wrapped it around a special drum, and inserted that into a special chamber, which enabled several of the macro-keys along the top row. I had 5 or 7 keys programmed-- but I only a couple.

One key would auto-skip after you entered the line numbers-- in fact, I seem to remember I had programmed it for 3 spaces, so multiple-hits would indent as appropriate for nested code.

The other key auto-skipped to column 60-ish (I forget exactly), punch in an apostrophe (for making a comment) and one space-- all ready for me to comment that line.

In FORTRAN and PL1, my personal rule was every line had a comment, even if seemingly redundant. Excess comments can be ignored.

But missing comments? Can leave a code-snippet illegible, as in "what on EARTH was I thinking when I coded this?"

LMAO!

This was especially true after six weeks... <grin> and you know what I mean, right?

:D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#601 Apr 12, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I never have seen a drum memory cylinder
In college we learned on an IBM 360
source code entered on 9 edge cards these cards were then placed into a card reader which compiled the program for you
, Nasty joke among the students was to misplace a couple cards in the stack one thing out of exact sequence would cause failure!
Then it was off to a host of other IBM computers over the years
Needless to say much is changed since those early days
The power of RPG is extraordinary it's an IBM developed language for IBM computers
IBM green screen will outrun any PC application hands-down. It just doesn't look windows pretty that's all
... dammit...

"But I only >>remember<< a couple [of the macro keys]"

Sorry about that. A "bug" in my comment.

;)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#602 Apr 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If the universe began to exist, it requires a cause.
The universe exists.
No past infinite is possible, so the universe began to exist.
The universe, therefore, requires a cause.
What is the cause? Nobody knows.
If you require a cause for the beginning of the universe, then you must require a cause for your cause.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#603 Apr 12, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Postscript to my previous reply to you
Well I was in college circa 1976 there was no such thing as a PC I've seen the evolution of both the PC and the Internet
IBM Should have pursued OS/2 as it is Mr. Gates became a billionaire with Windows
You were only a couple of years ahead of me-- I graduated HS in 76, and was in college by fall, 76.

I started at a then-called "junior" college, transferring to state school after 1 year.

I did not discover the wonders of computing, apart from some excellent exposure to very primitive machines in math club (back in Junior High, of all things) until I had a couple of years of state college; then on a whim, I took a FORTRAN class as an elective...

... and was immediately hooked.

Since: Feb 13

Tarzana, CA

#604 Apr 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I was merely following your logic. Now you've admitted that your position requires a special exemption. However you will not allow an exception to the axiom that all events have causes. That's two special exemptions for your argument:
1 - ALL things "must" have a cause, EXCEPT my "primal mover".
2 - My "primal mover" does not require matter to exhibit intelligence like everything else that is intelligent.
-------

If the Primal Mover had to be caused into existence He would not be the Primal Mover. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand? Really embarrassing!

Since: Feb 13

Tarzana, CA

#605 Apr 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is simply an incorrect understanding of what the Big Bang theory says. First of all, the 'singularity' is not a thing. Instead, we say there is a singularity because the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite as we go back in time. Because of this, we cannot extend time to before the singularity (the Big Bang) in the basic theory.
Now, when quantum mechanics is included, this does become possible in some cases, but then there is a universe before the Big Bang also. Essentially, quantum effects 'smooth out' the curvature so it doesn't become infinite. But then, this allows a previous, contracting universe or a multi-verse. Either of these possibilities destroy your argument also.
--------

Whether there was another universe prior to the present one does not change a thing in the concept of being caused into existence. The Primal Mover precedes all multi-verses.

Since: Feb 13

Tarzana, CA

#606 Apr 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whenever matter exists, it is in motion. In fact, there is a minimal amount of motion that even exists at absolute zero.
Once again, you fail.
-------

You are too easy at judging others to have failed. That's the first
sign of someone who has failed himself. Study a little Psychology.

Since: Feb 13

Tarzana, CA

#607 Apr 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is actually our strength and the biggest vulnerability of the theists. So few theists actually understand the nature of proof.
-----

How can one prove the incorporeal when you cannot prove the origin of the universe which is made out of matter?

Since: Feb 13

Tarzana, CA

#608 Apr 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, once again, there is a difference between having *no cause* at all and causing itself. We agree that the universe did not cause itself. The issue is whether it had a cause at all.
-----

The possibility was destroyed with the BB theory by George Lemaitre. Therefore the universe was caused because matter could not exist without a beginning. But hey, perhaps Lemaitre was wrong because you know better than he did. Could that be so?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#609 Apr 12, 2013
Shibolet wrote:
<quoted text>
-------
If the Primal Mover had to be caused into existence He would not be the Primal Mover. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand? Really embarrassing!
1) no proof of the existence of this.. ahem... "prime mover"

2) no proof that the "prime mover" >>had<< to be sentient in any way

3) no proof that the universe required a cause to begin with (it could have been an uncaused event-- happens all the time at the quantum level)

4) no argument AT ALL that this "prime mover" had to be identical to your imaginary god. You did not even try on this point...

Since: Feb 13

Tarzana, CA

#610 Apr 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as absolute inertia because there is no such thing as being absolutely at rest. Perhaps you should learn some real science from over the last 100 years.
------

I am sorry Polymath but you are too dense and make no efforts to hide it. I meant that time would not exist in "absolute" inertia if it were possible after matter has been caused into existence. I am well aware that there is no absolute inertia as long as there is matter. Do I have to give a definition of every word I say? That's embarrassing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min NightSerf 16,117
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 min Thinking 20,593
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min thetruth 256,000
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 19 min Thinking 4,669
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 22 min thetruth 3,760
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 30 min thetruth 24,075
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 31 min thetruth 40,639
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 48 min thetruth 245
More from around the web