The age of atheism: "If God exists, why is anybody unhappy?"

Feb 15, 2014 Full story: Salon 36

"We've been misled by years of monotheism to think there's one answer to everything," says author Peter Watson In 1882, the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche famously declared that "God is Dead."

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 Feb 15, 2014
None of the mythical "gods" ever existed, so how can they be "dead".

Judged:

21

21

20

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2 Mar 24, 2014
"Why is anyone unhappy?"

Well, that's a complex question, and covers an extremely wide scope of human behavior.

But I can certainly see how someone could become depressed, if he was brainwashed from birth to believe in a benevolent magical sky-daddy, only to discover it was all bullsh7t.

Of course, there aren't really any such beings in **religion**, are there?

No-- the majority of gods--**especially** the gods of the bible (and there are many), are neither benevolent nor good.

So, if the aforementioned person would analyze the situation without emotional content, he/she would be **happy** to be rid of such a horrific and needy egomaniac (bible's god).
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#3 Mar 24, 2014
Believing or not believing in God, does not make a person happy, it is the person who believes the Bible is true and tries to obey the Law of Jesus or Christ, that person will be happy. Living for yourself and your desires is fleshly, but living for the God of the Bible, Almighty God Jehovah, as Jesus did and taught his followers to do, that person will be blessed and see life.
John 14:31
John 17:3

Judged:

20

20

19

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4 Mar 24, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
Believing or not believing in God, does not make a person happy, it is the person who believes the Bible is true and tries to obey the Law of Jesus or Christ, that person will be happy.
You lie.

You are quite unhappy-- I can tell.

Your SPAMMING these webs is one clue.

Another, is your failure to PRAY ME TO STOP.

<laughing>

Judged:

20

20

19

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5 Mar 24, 2014
LOL!

I see you STILL cannot refute my statements.

You don't even try, True Christian Witness™.

<laughing even louder>
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6 Mar 24, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
... it is the person who believes the Bible is true and tries to obey the Law of Jesus or Christ, that person will be happy....
Living in accord with the bible makes one a sociopath. Stoning adulterers, stoning children who sass their parents, stoning gays, stoning women who are not virgins on their wedding night, stoning people doing work on the sabbath. You'd have to own a chain of quarries to keep up with the demand for stones. If torturing people to death is your idea of the route to happiness, you are a sociopath.
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#7 Mar 24, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Living in accord with the bible makes one a sociopath. Stoning adulterers, stoning children who sass their parents, stoning gays, stoning women who are not virgins on their wedding night, stoning people doing work on the sabbath. You'd have to own a chain of quarries to keep up with the demand for stones. If torturing people to death is your idea of the route to happiness, you are a sociopath.
This world is not under the Law of Moses, even the Jews are no longer under that law, anyone who is able to read is able to learn the requirements of a true Christian, as Jesus taught.
Jesus was put to death by the Jews, therefore the only way to be acceptable to Jehovah God is to follow the pattern Jesus set, obedience to the Bible principles and dedicating yourself to do God's will on this earth. John 7:21

Yes, under the Law of Moses anyone who was deliberately disobedient was put to death, even today deliberate sinners are removed from the Christian congregation, to keep it clean.
2Peter 2:21

Judged:

20

20

20

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#8 Mar 24, 2014
John 7:21 is incorrect, the Scripture is Matthew 7:21

Judged:

20

20

19

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9 Mar 24, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
<evil dickish quote deleted>
LOL!

I see you STILL cannot refute my statements.

You don't even try, True Christian Witness™.

<laughing even louder>

Are you PRAYING for me to STOP, still?

<laughing>

Your dickgod cannot muster up sufficient MAGIC GOD-GOO?

Is that it?

Maybe if you use some of those old Medieval techniques on yourself, you can muster up enough GOD-GOO to make me stop -- since your god is medieval bullshyt.

Perhaps that would help.

<laughing at you and your dickgod>

Judged:

14

14

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#10 Mar 24, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
<quoted text>
This world is not under the Law of Moses, even the Jews are no longer under that law, anyone who is able to read is able to learn the requirements of a true Christian, as Jesus taught.
Jesus was put to death by the Jews, therefore the only way to be acceptable to Jehovah God is to follow the pattern Jesus set, obedience to the Bible principles and dedicating yourself to do God's will on this earth. John 7:21
Yes, under the Law of Moses anyone who was deliberately disobedient was put to death, even today deliberate sinners are removed from the Christian congregation, to keep it clean.
2Peter 2:21
Jesus respectfully disagrees with you:

Matthew 5:17-20
17 Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfill.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Judged:

12

12

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11 Mar 25, 2014
Oh Noes!

I seem to have sprained my wrist somehow.

It **must** be True Christian witness™ and his GOD-GOO.

That *has* to be it-- his god has made me sprain my wrist.

Wow... that's all he's got?

LMAO!

Fortunately for me? I have **two** hands...

... LMAO!

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#12 Mar 26, 2014
Perfect. The godbots just proved that they don't believe in their own bible. My previous post, which consisted almost entirely of a quote from the bible garnered 12 "clueless" icons and 12 "nuts" icons. Even the godbots agree that the bible is nuts.

It doesn't get any better than that.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13 Mar 26, 2014
Amused wrote:
Perfect. The godbots just proved that they don't believe in their own bible. My previous post, which consisted almost entirely of a quote from the bible garnered 12 "clueless" icons and 12 "nuts" icons. Even the godbots agree that the bible is nuts.
It doesn't get any better than that.
Indeed it does not.

<laffin>

Since: Mar 14

Anderson, IN

#14 Mar 27, 2014
I believe in the God of Abraham and follow Jesus Christ. I can be very unhappy sometimes. It is trying to live in a world with people who don't live by God's standards. I don't like hearing people scream profanities. I don't enjoy seeing drunks and drug addicts walking the streets. I hate being bombarded with foul language and all kinds of sexual stimuli. I'm unhappy when I'm trying to find something great to watch on tv but can't find anything to watch.
I can't watch the news and feel happy. There's always some new murder, rape, child molestor, drunk driver, scammer, corrupt politician, etc. I hate the fact that I can be in good health and then pick up a cold, virus, flu, etc. from someone who can't be bothered to cover their mouth when they cough, and/or wash their hands. I'm fine, then go to the grocery store or library, and a day or two later I'm fighting off some sickness, and all because some people are so self involved that they can't be bothered with basic hygiene.
I hate the fact that there are so many different religions. Everybody thinks theirs is the right one. There are nasty miserable people who claim belief in a God. So you look to Atheists as being more enjoyable to be around. Wrong. Atheists are just as bad. They, too, are convinced they are right, and they patronize, if not outright insult and verbally abuse, anyone who expresses belief in a higher power.
So yeah, I believe in God and can still be very unhappy. He (God) hears from me a lot. I can't comprehend why He's let the world become this corrupt without interfering.
What gets me through at the end of every day is that I know He has a plan. He is allowing people to go about their business of life. Mankind is ultimately responsible for their actions. God will someday step in. Jesus will return. Everyone will have to give account for their actions.
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#15 Mar 27, 2014
Iamac wrote:
I believe in the God of Abraham and follow Jesus Christ. I can be very unhappy sometimes. It is trying to live in a world with people who don't live by God's standards. I don't like hearing people scream profanities. I don't enjoy seeing drunks and drug addicts walking the streets. I hate being bombarded with foul language and all kinds of sexual stimuli. I'm unhappy when I'm trying to find something great to watch on tv but can't find anything to watch.
I can't watch the news and feel happy. There's always some new murder, rape, child molestor, drunk driver, scammer, corrupt politician, etc. I hate the fact that I can be in good health and then pick up a cold, virus, flu, etc. from someone who can't be bothered to cover their mouth when they cough, and/or wash their hands. I'm fine, then go to the grocery store or library, and a day or two later I'm fighting off some sickness, and all because some people are so self involved that they can't be bothered with basic hygiene.
I hate the fact that there are so many different religions. Everybody thinks theirs is the right one. There are nasty miserable people who claim belief in a God. So you look to Atheists as being more enjoyable to be around. Wrong. Atheists are just as bad. They, too, are convinced they are right, and they patronize, if not outright insult and verbally abuse, anyone who expresses belief in a higher power.
So yeah, I believe in God and can still be very unhappy. He (God) hears from me a lot. I can't comprehend why He's let the world become this corrupt without interfering.
What gets me through at the end of every day is that I know He has a plan. He is allowing people to go about their business of life. Mankind is ultimately responsible for their actions. God will someday step in. Jesus will return. Everyone will have to give account for their actions.
Everyone is choosing today whether they want life or death, by their obedience or rejection of God's Kingdom government, being preached throughout this earth, it takes a while to be educated in the truth of Scriptures, so now is the time to start your Bible study with Jehovah's witnesses, then you can make that decision based on Bible truth. John 10:1-3

It is not easy to give up this world, and everything that is violent or immoral, the holidays and all false teachings that hold us in bondage to this world, but Jesus said the meek will inherit this earth and live in God's new world of righteousness. Psalm 37
1 John 2:15
1John 3:10

Jesus taught this world is in the control of Satan the Devil, and therefore his wicked children are evident by their works. John 8:44

The righteous person who believes in God and wants to be happy, must search and find the spiritual ark of protection in these last days, which is obedience to the Law of Christ.
John 3:36
Jesus is now reigning in heaven as King of Almighty God Jehovah's heavenly Kingdom government, and he will return to this earth, but it will be a sword of execution against all the enemies of God's Kingdom, and all who refuse to enter the spiritual ark of protection.
Revelation 19:11-16
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#16 Mar 27, 2014
There are no such things as gods or fairies

Religion = superstition

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#17 Mar 27, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
"Why is anyone unhappy?"
Well, that's a complex question, and covers an extremely wide scope of human behavior.
But I can certainly see how someone could become depressed, if he was brainwashed from birth to believe in a benevolent magical sky-daddy, only to discover it was all bullsh7t.
Of course, there aren't really any such beings in **religion**, are there?
No-- the majority of gods--**especially** the gods of the bible (and there are many), are neither benevolent nor good.
So, if the aforementioned person would analyze the situation without emotional content, he/she would be **happy** to be rid of such a horrific and needy egomaniac (bible's god).
Even worse, a person who was taught that this skydad hated him for what he could not control(example, sexuality) and that he was going to hell for it.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#18 Mar 27, 2014
Iamac wrote:
I believe in the God of Abraham and follow Jesus Christ. I can be very unhappy sometimes. It is trying to live in a world with people who don't live by God's standards. I don't like hearing people scream profanities. I don't enjoy seeing drunks and drug addicts walking the streets. I hate being bombarded with foul language and all kinds of sexual stimuli. I'm unhappy when I'm trying to find something great to watch on tv but can't find anything to watch.
We should live by God's standards like selling our children to slavery.
Iamac wrote:
I can't watch the news and feel happy. There's always some new murder, rape, child molestor,
The buybull does not ban child molestation. As for murder, the bible is filled with stories in which God kills people for stupid shyt, like one man lifting the Ark.
Iamac wrote:
drunk driver, scammer, corrupt politician,
The Bilical God is the greatest scammer and corrupt politician there is in literature. Completely diabolical. Take for example, the story of the Exodus. According to the bible, God told the Jews to demand that the Pharoah free them while hardening the heart of Pharoah against them.
Iamac wrote:
etc. I hate the fact that I can be in good health and then pick up a cold, virus, flu, etc. from someone who can't be bothered to cover their mouth when they cough, and/or wash their hands. I'm fine, then go to the grocery store or library, and a day or two later I'm fighting off some sickness, and all because some people are so self involved that they can't be bothered with basic hygiene.
Why don't you ask why your "perfect" God allows this to happen.
Iamac wrote:
I hate the fact that there are so many different religions. Everybody thinks theirs is the right one. There are nasty miserable people who claim belief in a God. So you look to Atheists as being more enjoyable to be around. Wrong. Atheists are just as bad. They, too, are convinced they are right, and they patronize, if not outright insult and verbally abuse, anyone who expresses belief in a higher power.
So yeah, I believe in God and can still be very unhappy. He (God) hears from me a lot. I can't comprehend why He's let the world become this corrupt without interfering.
What gets me through at the end of every day is that I know He has a plan. He is allowing people to go about their business of life. Mankind is ultimately responsible for their actions. God will someday step in. Jesus will return. Everyone will have to give account for their actions.
You say that you hate the fact that there are many religions around because you presume without any evidence, that your religion is the true faith and you are intolerant of the faiths of others.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19 Mar 27, 2014
Iamac wrote:
I believe in the God of Abraham and follow Jesus Christ.
I am **soo** sorry for your loss.

Hint: Abraham is 100% fiction-- he never lived as a historical figure. He's pure made-up.

That could be why you are having such trouble...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#20 Mar 27, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone is choosing today whether they want life or death, by their obedience or rejection of God's Kingdom government, being preached throughout this earth, it takes a while to be educated in the truth of Scriptures,
There is no truth in your scriptures, silly-billy!

None.

Not even one word-- except by pure random chance, of course.

Even a busted clock is right 2 times a day-- the trick is guessing when.

As for your scriptures? They are always wrong-- that's the safest stance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven 29 min Mr Duplicity 12
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 32 min ChristineM 1,045
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min ChristineM 228,643
Our world came from nothing? 41 min _Bad Company 743
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 53 min Jaimie 156
Atheists, where do these demons come from? 1 hr Benjamin Frankly 3
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr Patrick 5,940

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE