The Atheist God

Oct 7, 2013 Full story: Daily Kos 152

An odd title I know, but maybe not as odd as one might think. I am an Atheist in the purest sense, but I am still in some ways forced to contemplate God, though it may not be my own.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#1 Oct 8, 2013
The atheist god, would be a god who doesn't believe in gods?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2 Oct 8, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
The atheist god, would be a god who doesn't believe in gods?
Without a doubt.

:)

Did you read the editorial bit?

Modestly interesting, if a bit glossed over (for my tastes).

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3 Oct 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Without a doubt.
:)
Did you read the editorial bit?
Modestly interesting, if a bit glossed over (for my tastes).
Yep, I read it, and just couldn't seem to care less what the writer had to say. I see it somewhat differently though. Speculation on the possibilities of the purely asinine's existence, is about as mind numbing as is the reading of the buybull's "begats".

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4 Oct 9, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, I read it, and just couldn't seem to care less what the writer had to say. I see it somewhat differently though. Speculation on the possibilities of the purely asinine's existence, is about as mind numbing as is the reading of the buybull's "begats".
LOL!

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#5 Oct 9, 2013
Who needs a god, though? Not us.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6 Oct 9, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Who needs a god, though? Not us.
:)

"If god did not exist, man would be required to invent it"
~ Voltaire (paraphrased)

There does seem to be within some, a real need for Something Greater.

And for many, they (for whatever reason) do not seem content with the amazing accomplishments of the human species so far.

Nor are they content with the amazing scope of the natural earth (such as the Grand Canyon or Mount Kilimanjaro).

And even the vast infinity of the Visible Universe isn't enough.

I kinda feel sorry for them, though-- the things I just listed? Are more than sufficient for **me** to feel a sense of amazement and wonder.

Here we are, self-aware and self-replicating molecules of protein, and we have come so very far: we invented racial memory (writing) when we weren't born with that. We invented a kind of telepathy (speech) when we weren't born with that. We invented artificial wings, artificial gills, artificial eyes to see far and very small--even artificial brains, to go far beyond what we *were* born with.

And what's even more amazing (to me) is that we haven't even sipped a drop from the ocean that is the Universe and what there can be To Know.

We've only just started-- we aren't even out of the nest, yet.

Who needs magic, anyway?

There's magic in a Stellar Nebula. There's wonder in a drop of pond scum-- a whole 'nother universe of things To Know. There's amazement at the quantum level of reality itself: where cause and effect is tossed out the window, and probability is the rule.

Besides, what has invoking a magic JuJu Beast (god) ever "answered" anyhow?

Seriously? The phrase "god did it" does not answer anything, not really-- and it raises even more questions! An infinity of new questions, in fact.

:)

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#7 Oct 9, 2013
Indeed. One has to wonder about life in other universes-that seems far more certain than any god figure. I've seen UFO's before, Bob. Have you? None of the glowing Martian kind, though. XD

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#8 Oct 9, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Indeed. One has to wonder about life in other universes-that seems far more certain than any god figure. I've seen UFO's before, Bob. Have you? None of the glowing Martian kind, though. XD
Oh, I have seen many an unidentified flying object-- but none were beyond what clever humans could have made.

I strongly suspect humans haven't been visited by extra solar visitors of any sort.

The main proof?

I would think that such visitors would make more of a splash if that was their intent.

If it was their intent to keep hidden? Then any race sophisticated enough to get to Earth in a timely way, could easily remain entirely hidden from the local population.

As result of that? I suspect all UFO's are either human-made things, or else mistaken atmospheric events.
Thinking

UK

#9 Oct 10, 2013
I was at a party where we launched Chinese lanterns and one of those got logged officially as a possible UFO.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I have seen many an unidentified flying object-- but none were beyond what clever humans could have made.
I strongly suspect humans haven't been visited by extra solar visitors of any sort.
The main proof?
I would think that such visitors would make more of a splash if that was their intent.
If it was their intent to keep hidden? Then any race sophisticated enough to get to Earth in a timely way, could easily remain entirely hidden from the local population.
As result of that? I suspect all UFO's are either human-made things, or else mistaken atmospheric events.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10 Oct 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I was at a party where we launched Chinese lanterns and one of those got logged officially as a possible UFO.
<quoted text>
When I was back at OSU, in the late 70's, a couple of my dorm mates decided to see how high they could launch a kite.

They were at a park, and the winds were quite steady and strong-- typical for mid-western Oklahoma.

They were located at a park, several miles from the local airport, shouldn't be a problem.

Except, the winds were just right, the kite was quite large, and they had thousands of feet of good line... they kept adding more line, and eventually tied it off to a nearby tree.

It was high enough, that it began to interfere with the local airport's flight patterns (mostly single-engine small planes, but still...)

It was a UFO for a short while, until someone finally figured out where it was anchored.

My buddies received a modest fine for interfering with airport traffic. They were warned, if they did it again, the fine would not be a token amount ($50) but could include jail time.

I found the whole thing rather amusing-- a simple wind-driven kite literally stopped traffic at a local (if on the small side) airport.

However, I imagine the pilots that had to divert were less than amused.
Thinking

UK

#11 Oct 10, 2013
Fantastic! At least you didn't shut LAX.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters....

And neither did Larry!
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was back at OSU, in the late 70's, a couple of my dorm mates decided to see how high they could launch a kite.
They were at a park, and the winds were quite steady and strong-- typical for mid-western Oklahoma.
They were located at a park, several miles from the local airport, shouldn't be a problem.
Except, the winds were just right, the kite was quite large, and they had thousands of feet of good line... they kept adding more line, and eventually tied it off to a nearby tree.
It was high enough, that it began to interfere with the local airport's flight patterns (mostly single-engine small planes, but still...)
It was a UFO for a short while, until someone finally figured out where it was anchored.
My buddies received a modest fine for interfering with airport traffic. They were warned, if they did it again, the fine would not be a token amount ($50) but could include jail time.
I found the whole thing rather amusing-- a simple wind-driven kite literally stopped traffic at a local (if on the small side) airport.
However, I imagine the pilots that had to divert were less than amused.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#12 Oct 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Fantastic! At least you didn't shut LAX.
http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters....
And neither did Larry!
<quoted text>
A kite on a 4000' string is a wee bit different from a lunatic in an aluminum lawn chair armed with 300 party balloons.

:)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#13 Oct 10, 2013
f you don't believe I something, you don't talk about it. Perhaps if asked about it you would.
Thinking

UK

#14 Oct 10, 2013
?
Robert Stevens wrote:
f you don't believe I something, you don't talk about it. Perhaps if asked about it you would.
Thinking

UK

#15 Oct 10, 2013
3/4 mile of string must weigh a bit... hope the kite didn't shoot itself.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
A kite on a 4000' string is a wee bit different from a lunatic in an aluminum lawn chair armed with 300 party balloons.
:)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#16 Oct 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
3/4 mile of string must weigh a bit... hope the kite didn't shoot itself.
<quoted text>
I'm guessing--but the airport was about a mile away from the park, and the kite was high enough and close enough to the airport that it was an issue.

The actual ticket read (I saw it) "interference with a municipal airport" (or words to that effect-- it was in the late '70s).

So I'm presuming something long enough to reach the surrounding airspace. It was a large kite, and the string was quite a number of 1000' rolls...

... I don't think 4000' is too much of a stretch.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17 Oct 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
?
<quoted text>
He's jealous-- here we are, having a nice discussion and nothing of it pertains to his delusions.

;)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#18 Oct 10, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
He's jealous-- here we are, having a nice discussion and nothing of it pertains to his delusions.
;)
You have never discussed my God. You assume and assume wrong.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#20 Oct 11, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
f you don't believe I something, you don't talk about it. Perhaps if asked about it you would.
When you can prove the god your cult sent you here to lie about, you will look a lot less ignorant. But maybe you actually want to appear ignorant!?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#21 Oct 11, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You have never discussed my God. You assume and assume wrong.
God is an assumption that you made, and you made wrong. It's wrong because you have no evidence and you know it.

You come to this forum because you doubt your own cult - just like the flaming homosexual who hates gays

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 min 4 Leaf Clover 2,278
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 min Thinking 23,185
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 8 min Thinking 123
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Joe fortuna 232,800
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 13 hr Thinking 28
God' existence 13 hr Thinking 57
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr thetruth 1,442
More from around the web