Your Turn: With atheism, life has no ...

Your Turn: With atheism, life has no ultimate purpose, meaning

There are 4 comments on the St. Cloud Times story from Aug 11, 2013, titled Your Turn: With atheism, life has no ultimate purpose, meaning. In it, St. Cloud Times reports that:

Like many of you who have driven by the religious-themed billboard on Stearns Country Road 75 recently, I've been encouraged by the Scripture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Cloud Times.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Leicester, UK

#1 Aug 12, 2013
Theists are in a way right to say that if God doesn't exist there is no purpose to life that given to us, however they are wrong to say that the purpose given by God ends all the debate on the meaning of life. One's God given purpose is nothing more then a suggestion, why because there is so many "God given" purposes that one must use their reason to see which - if any - are right and not just use revelations. If we were just to use revelation we wouldn't validate any revelation as all amuse they are true to begin with.

This brings us to the real purpose of life, to find and actualise what the purpose of life OUGHT to be.
I must stress the word ought as meaning can never be given, so when Theists state that Atheism rules out a God given purpose I say "yes, but it doesn't matter we would still have to act as if there isn't a God given purpose in order to find purpose, due to the need to validate revelation before we use it."

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2 Aug 12, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
Theists are in a way right to say that if God doesn't exist there is no purpose to life that given to us,
Purpose is a human construct.

Meaning itself if a human construct. The question of purpose is flawed and a red herring. Many theists simply cannot understand life outside of the context of purpose - part of the mental illness.
LCNlin

United States

#3 Aug 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Purpose is a human construct.
Meaning itself if a human construct. The question of purpose is flawed and a red herring. Many theists simply cannot understand life outside of the context of purpose - part of the mental illness.
You are often correct in your insightful thought on religion.
Manchester United will do well this year do not worry

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4 Aug 12, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
You are often correct in your insightful thought on religion.
Manchester United will do well this year do not worry
When creationist trolls like Lincoln realise that getting their lie-cult across through normal discourse is impossible - they resort to nonsensical spamming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 5 min IB DaMann 80
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min IB DaMann 48,829
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 41 min IB DaMann 23,565
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 49 min IB DaMann 5,713
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Cuddles6778 21,887
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr _Susan_ 258,042
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 11 hr Eagle 12 5
More from around the web