Becoming a parent changed everything.

Posted in the Atheism Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#1 Sep 2, 2014
Sorry I have been away gang. Wifey gave birth via C-section to our happy healthy baby boy. Life sure did change for us. Little man started crying and Wifey reminded me it was my turn to hold him until he went back to sleep. She's exhausted but Hell we both are. Sleep comes few and far between these days but through it all I love it. Life changes from us going on our 5 mile runs daily to now only twice a week while Grandma and Grandpa spoil the little guy at their house. We need to get him to the Philippines once he is bigger so her family can spend time with him. Everyone good?

Wifey and I have been going back and forth on how to present religion to him. She wants him in church every Sunday, I want him not lol. Basically I will not hide my disbelief form him as he is old enough to understand and will let her present her deeply rooted superstitious beliefs to him while I present facts and reason. We've had some mild arguments on this. Time will tell what he gravitates to, that will be his choice at the time which is something I have to reiterate to her lol.

Well take care gang! haven't had time to come on here for a while. Not much has changed I see, believers changing screen names daily lol.

All the best! Let's hope my son gets some sleep so Dad can have some as well!

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2 Sep 3, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sorry I have been away gang. Wifey gave birth via C-section to our happy healthy baby boy. Life sure did change for us. Little man started crying and Wifey reminded me it was my turn to hold him until he went back to sleep. She's exhausted but Hell we both are. Sleep comes few and far between these days but through it all I love it. Life changes from us going on our 5 mile runs daily to now only twice a week while Grandma and Grandpa spoil the little guy at their house. We need to get him to the Philippines once he is bigger so her family can spend time with him. Everyone good?
Wifey and I have been going back and forth on how to present religion to him. She wants him in church every Sunday, I want him not lol. Basically I will not hide my disbelief form him as he is old enough to understand and will let her present her deeply rooted superstitious beliefs to him while I present facts and reason. We've had some mild arguments on this. Time will tell what he gravitates to, that will be his choice at the time which is something I have to reiterate to her lol.
Well take care gang! haven't had time to come on here for a while. Not much has changed I see, believers changing screen names daily lol.
All the best! Let's hope my son gets some sleep so Dad can have some as well!
Congrats on the new addition!

My wife and I are going round and round on the religion thing for our son too (he'll be 10 in a few weeks). I say no but she says yes. He does go to church with his grandparents once in a while, but lately he's been asking to go to religion classes because his friends talk about it. I'm kind of leaning towards letting my wife get her way because I think he's old enough to start to learn the difference between things that are believed simply because it's comforting... although based on nothing more than the 'say so' of others... and things that are believed based on real world evidence. I've been telling him for years that just because someone says something it "true" doesn't make that thing 'true if they can't show you WHY it's true.'. I still don't think he's old enough to fully understand... but he is a very smart kid and I'll be there as the voice of reason
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3 Sep 3, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sorry I have been away gang. Wifey gave birth via C-section to our happy healthy baby boy. Life sure did change for us. Little man started crying and Wifey reminded me it was my turn to hold him until he went back to sleep. She's exhausted but Hell we both are. Sleep comes few and far between these days but through it all I love it. Life changes from us going on our 5 mile runs daily to now only twice a week while Grandma and Grandpa spoil the little guy at their house. We need to get him to the Philippines once he is bigger so her family can spend time with him. Everyone good?
Wifey and I have been going back and forth on how to present religion to him. She wants him in church every Sunday, I want him not lol. Basically I will not hide my disbelief form him as he is old enough to understand and will let her present her deeply rooted superstitious beliefs to him while I present facts and reason. We've had some mild arguments on this. Time will tell what he gravitates to, that will be his choice at the time which is something I have to reiterate to her lol.
Well take care gang! haven't had time to come on here for a while. Not much has changed I see, believers changing screen names daily lol.
All the best! Let's hope my son gets some sleep so Dad can have some as well!
Congratulations. I guess I'm lucky - my wife is Buddhist, and fairly laid back about it. No weekly services means no weekly argument.

Religion doesn't come up much in our house. The kids, well just the older one, occasionally ask questions, but not often. I try to just answer the precise question asked and not make a big deal out of it. If he wants more info, he will ask another question. Pretty much the same way we handle other topics like sex or autism. I never lie to him, but I never give an overwhelming amount of information in one gulp, either.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#4 Sep 3, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sorry I have been away gang. Wifey gave birth via C-section to our happy healthy baby boy. Life sure did change for us. Little man started crying and Wifey reminded me it was my turn to hold him until he went back to sleep. She's exhausted but Hell we both are. Sleep comes few and far between these days but through it all I love it. Life changes from us going on our 5 mile runs daily to now only twice a week while Grandma and Grandpa spoil the little guy at their house. We need to get him to the Philippines once he is bigger so her family can spend time with him. Everyone good?
Wifey and I have been going back and forth on how to present religion to him. She wants him in church every Sunday, I want him not lol. Basically I will not hide my disbelief form him as he is old enough to understand and will let her present her deeply rooted superstitious beliefs to him while I present facts and reason. We've had some mild arguments on this. Time will tell what he gravitates to, that will be his choice at the time which is something I have to reiterate to her lol.
Well take care gang! haven't had time to come on here for a while. Not much has changed I see, believers changing screen names daily lol.
All the best! Let's hope my son gets some sleep so Dad can have some as well!
Congratulations! Best of luck. When the time comes each of us makes our own decisions, and so will your son. And it may not be what you'd want for him, but you can definitely sway the outcome.

BTW: Onion tea is a proven way to quiet the fussiest little one. It soothes achy tummies (it takes a while for some babies to adjust to those totally unatural formulas) and lets them sleep.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#5 Sep 4, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sorry I have been away gang. Wifey gave birth via C-section to our happy healthy baby boy. Life sure did change for us. Little man started crying and Wifey reminded me it was my turn to hold him until he went back to sleep. She's exhausted but Hell we both are. Sleep comes few and far between these days but through it all I love it. Life changes from us going on our 5 mile runs daily to now only twice a week while Grandma and Grandpa spoil the little guy at their house. We need to get him to the Philippines once he is bigger so her family can spend time with him. Everyone good?
Wifey and I have been going back and forth on how to present religion to him. She wants him in church every Sunday, I want him not lol. Basically I will not hide my disbelief form him as he is old enough to understand and will let her present her deeply rooted superstitious beliefs to him while I present facts and reason. We've had some mild arguments on this. Time will tell what he gravitates to, that will be his choice at the time which is something I have to reiterate to her lol.
Well take care gang! haven't had time to come on here for a while. Not much has changed I see, believers changing screen names daily lol.
All the best! Let's hope my son gets some sleep so Dad can have some as well!
Congratulations. I raised my son, so, I didn't have the same dynamic going on.

I never added religion or deities into the mix.

He's turned out fine without the prod of a god at his back.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6 Sep 5, 2014
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>
...When the time comes each of us makes our own decisions, and so will your son. And it may not be what you'd want for him, but you can definitely sway the outcome.
...
Exactly. Teach your kids how to think and don't worry about trying to teach them what to think. If they know how, they will find the answers that are best for them, which may or may not be the answers that are best for you. If you try to teach them what to think, you always have to worry about them learning how to think for themselves and undoing all the indoctrination.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#7 Sep 13, 2014
Awesome man! Doing likewise with my son. Wifey wants him in church and when he is old enough to understand I think it's great that he will have 2 sides to the whole God story presented to him. He can make his own decision when he's old enough. Right now his biggest concerns are waking us up at night lol :)
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Congrats on the new addition!
My wife and I are going round and round on the religion thing for our son too (he'll be 10 in a few weeks). I say no but she says yes. He does go to church with his grandparents once in a while, but lately he's been asking to go to religion classes because his friends talk about it. I'm kind of leaning towards letting my wife get her way because I think he's old enough to start to learn the difference between things that are believed simply because it's comforting... although based on nothing more than the 'say so' of others... and things that are believed based on real world evidence. I've been telling him for years that just because someone says something it "true" doesn't make that thing 'true if they can't show you WHY it's true.'. I still don't think he's old enough to fully understand... but he is a very smart kid and I'll be there as the voice of reason

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#8 Sep 13, 2014
Sofar Wifey has had him out to church a few times but at this age it doesn't mean anything to him.
I have been thinking about nice ways to answer his questions when he is older as I don't want it to sound like I am insulting his Mom. Good thing I have some time :)
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations. I guess I'm lucky - my wife is Buddhist, and fairly laid back about it. No weekly services means no weekly argument.
Religion doesn't come up much in our house. The kids, well just the older one, occasionally ask questions, but not often. I try to just answer the precise question asked and not make a big deal out of it. If he wants more info, he will ask another question. Pretty much the same way we handle other topics like sex or autism. I never lie to him, but I never give an overwhelming amount of information in one gulp, either.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#9 Sep 13, 2014
I'll have to look into the onion tea thing thanks! As you said he will make his own decision at the time, I actually think it's great for kids to see different sides of a position. Wifey is a believer but not a nutty creationist wackjob so He has that going for him :)
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! Best of luck. When the time comes each of us makes our own decisions, and so will your son. And it may not be what you'd want for him, but you can definitely sway the outcome.
BTW: Onion tea is a proven way to quiet the fussiest little one. It soothes achy tummies (it takes a while for some babies to adjust to those totally unatural formulas) and lets them sleep.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#10 Sep 14, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
I'll have to look into the onion tea thing thanks! As you said he will make his own decision at the time, I actually think it's great for kids to see different sides of a position. Wifey is a believer but not a nutty creationist wackjob so He has that going for him :)
<quoted text>
Boil a cut up onion in 1 quart water, cool and then strain. Refrigerate until needed. Two or three ounces usually quells any upset stomach, and it works like a Thanksgiving dinner does on us. My great gran used this, and she claimed that women have always known that onion makes you sleepy and makes you burp. When there was a little one in my house, so was the onion tea.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#11 Sep 14, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Teach your kids how to think and don't worry about trying to teach them what to think. If they know how, they will find the answers that are best for them, which may or may not be the answers that are best for you. If you try to teach them what to think, you always have to worry about them learning how to think for themselves and undoing all the indoctrination.
With mine, I'm here if they have questions, but as adults they now make their own decisions, and I never make any comment unless they ask. It works well, for all 5 of my boys. it is too often their in-laws who can't just shut up and let the kids live and learn.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#12 Sep 14, 2014
Sounds easy enough and if it helps us get a few more hours of sleep time we will both be ecstatic! Will get some onions at the store next trip. He's a big baby I tease Wifey for thinking She could have had him without a C-section! She really didn't want one because of the scar and the anesthesiologist lady patted her on the back and said, sweetie your child would rather have a mommy with a tiny scar loving him than a dead Mom with no scars. She was a blunt matter of fact woman but that's what Wifey needed as she had shot down everyone else. I admit I couldn't watch as they started making the incision lol! I wimped out and looked at her face. It was amazing though they were done and had her sewn back up in no time, I thought there had to be a mistake. Nope they were done and little man was giving them an earful!:)
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Boil a cut up onion in 1 quart water, cool and then strain. Refrigerate until needed. Two or three ounces usually quells any upset stomach, and it works like a Thanksgiving dinner does on us. My great gran used this, and she claimed that women have always known that onion makes you sleepy and makes you burp. When there was a little one in my house, so was the onion tea.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#13 Sep 15, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Awesome man! Doing likewise with my son. Wifey wants him in church and when he is old enough to understand I think it's great that he will have 2 sides to the whole God story presented to him. He can make his own decision when he's old enough. Right now his biggest concerns are waking us up at night lol :)
<quoted text>
I figure when he's old enough to understand the whole concept of religion, at least he'll be able to make an informed decision... something I had no choice in while I was growing up.

Coming to the realization that it was all a bunch of superstitious crap, while looking around at all the people that could not, or would not, even let themselves question what they were told to believe was pretty hard at the time since I really didn't know anyone else that felt like I did. Deep down I doubt very many of them actually believed in it as much as they claimed to. I would bet that if there wasn't the threat of scorn and humiliation from family, friends and community for NOT believing... that church would have dropped in regular attendance by at least 2/3... and that is just based on my memories of looking around at the people filling the pews every Sunday. Body language really does say a lot. LOL... A good portion of them simply waited until communion time, went up to get it and then went straight out the doors not bothering to hang around for the rest of the service... Unless it was a free coffee and donut day... then they would bolt to the basement early to get their pick of the goodies
Patrick

United States

#14 Sep 15, 2014
Best of good fortune with your son's health and happiness.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#15 Sep 19, 2014
Free donuts and coffee gets the pews filled!:)
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I figure when he's old enough to understand the whole concept of religion, at least he'll be able to make an informed decision... something I had no choice in while I was growing up.
Coming to the realization that it was all a bunch of superstitious crap, while looking around at all the people that could not, or would not, even let themselves question what they were told to believe was pretty hard at the time since I really didn't know anyone else that felt like I did. Deep down I doubt very many of them actually believed in it as much as they claimed to. I would bet that if there wasn't the threat of scorn and humiliation from family, friends and community for NOT believing... that church would have dropped in regular attendance by at least 2/3... and that is just based on my memories of looking around at the people filling the pews every Sunday. Body language really does say a lot. LOL... A good portion of them simply waited until communion time, went up to get it and then went straight out the doors not bothering to hang around for the rest of the service... Unless it was a free coffee and donut day... then they would bolt to the basement early to get their pick of the goodies

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#16 Sep 19, 2014
Thanks. So far so good :) Still need to try that onion tea though.
Patrick wrote:
Best of good fortune with your son's health and happiness.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#17 Sep 20, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sounds easy enough and if it helps us get a few more hours of sleep time we will both be ecstatic! Will get some onions at the store next trip. He's a big baby I tease Wifey for thinking She could have had him without a C-section! She really didn't want one because of the scar and the anesthesiologist lady patted her on the back and said, sweetie your child would rather have a mommy with a tiny scar loving him than a dead Mom with no scars. She was a blunt matter of fact woman but that's what Wifey needed as she had shot down everyone else. I admit I couldn't watch as they started making the incision lol! I wimped out and looked at her face. It was amazing though they were done and had her sewn back up in no time, I thought there had to be a mistake. Nope they were done and little man was giving them an earful!:)
<quoted text>
LOL! Perfect, it sounds as if all proceeded exactly as it should have.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#18 Sep 20, 2014
Thanks! Wifey was so out of it from the epidural when she heard little man crying she was like. " Is that my baby? " I patted her hand and assured her it was. Wish I could have had a little bit of what they gave her! LOL :)
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Perfect, it sounds as if all proceeded exactly as it should have.
Patrick

United States

#19 Sep 20, 2014
Givemeliberty wrote:
Thanks! Wifey was so out of it from the epidural when she heard little man crying she was like. " Is that my baby? " I patted her hand and assured her it was. Wish I could have had a little bit of what they gave her! LOL :)
<quoted text>
........ a very neat story and hope that you continue to share your joys with us!
Professor for many years and enjoy my students.
Reading with a child is a valuable activity.
Cheers !
TheHeadlines

London, UK

#20 Sep 21, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
........ a very neat story and hope that you continue to share your joys with us!
Professor for many years and enjoy my students.
Reading with a child is a valuable activity.
Cheers !
"Creationist Belief That Jesus Rode On The Backs Of Dinosaurs Now Officially Classified As Mental Illness."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Uncle Sam 238,193
News Confessions of a black atheist 16 min Samoan Irish 412
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 24 min thetruth 9,334
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Denisova 18,697
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 4 hr prophecydotorg 7,408
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr ChristineM 2,062
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr Thinking 6,105
More from around the web