I don't believe in God, so why is it ...

I don't believe in God, so why is it that I don't want to be labelled an atheist? | Ian Jack

There are 296 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Dec 23, 2011, titled I don't believe in God, so why is it that I don't want to be labelled an atheist? | Ian Jack. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

I don't believe in God, so why is it that I don't want to be labelled an atheist? As a definition, atheism belongs to the same dull category as non-driver or ex-smoker; an inadequate guide to self I don't believe in God, so why is it that I don't want to be labelled an atheist? Christopher Hitchens was famed for his attacks on religion - but ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
High beams

Malang, Indonesia

#1 Dec 23, 2011
Because you are not an atheist. You know there is a God and eventually you will realize that you are lying to yourself about there being no God.

It's so sad to see a person lying to themselves in order to get the false comfort of being able to sin and think they are getting away with it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
JAYCEE

Winnipeg, Canada

#2 Dec 23, 2011
Your an agnostic. You have a right to feel and believe what you want. Its when you preach it to others that you are out of line.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#3 Dec 23, 2011
Atheist - Theism = Belief.

Agnostic - Gnosticism = Knowledge.

An atheist does not know god/s does not exist, we just don't believe god/s exist. In fact as we cannot "know" whether or not god/s exists everyone, believer and non-believer is agnostic.

Believers are also "atheists' to all the gods of religions other than the one you believe in. A christian does not believe in Thor, Mithrus and Horus. A muslim does not believe in Venus, Zeus and Zoraster. Atheists just believe in one less god.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#4 Dec 23, 2011
High beams wrote:
It's so sad to see a person lying to themselves in order to get the false comfort of being able to sin and think they are getting away with it.
This says more about your morality or lack there of than it does about atheists. What sort of scumbag is only good because they believe their imaginary friend will punish them if they are bad?
redneck

Glendale, OR

#5 Dec 24, 2011
Mark wrote:
Atheist - Theism = Belief.
Agnostic - Gnosticism = Knowledge.
An atheist does not know god/s does not exist, we just don't believe god/s exist. In fact as we cannot "know" whether or not god/s exists everyone, believer and non-believer is agnostic.
Believers are also "atheists' to all the gods of religions other than the one you believe in. A christian does not believe in Thor, Mithrus and Horus. A muslim does not believe in Venus, Zeus and Zoraster. Atheists just believe in one less god.
I can say that there is no god until evidence appears to the contrary. The claim is falsifiable. You can believe in any myth like god or santa or Thor but can only claim that you believe. You are the claiment so proof is required by you. Atheism is a poor word. Realist is better.
redneck

Glendale, OR

#6 Dec 24, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
This says more about your morality or lack there of than it does about atheists. What sort of scumbag is only good because they believe their imaginary friend will punish them if they are bad?
Like children during xmas season. The little scumbags.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#8 Dec 24, 2011
FBOMBER wrote:
Aussie Mark doesn't believe vaccines cause autism, that makes him a twit.
Whereas your belief in BS is so complete that it is the only thing you speak.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#9 Dec 24, 2011
redneck wrote:
<quoted text>I can say that there is no god until evidence appears to the contrary. The claim is falsifiable. You can believe in any myth like god or santa or Thor but can only claim that you believe. You are the claiment so proof is required by you. Atheism is a poor word. Realist is better.
I am quite content with referring to myself as an atheist because it states exactly what I don't believe in. I think a lot of this arguement is due to believers not understanding what it means and making retarded statements like "you believe in nothing?" or "whats stopping you from murdering and stealing?". These questions just show how morally deficient these people are and that there own motives for belief in gods is for personal gain, not because its the right thing to do.

Our claim "there is no god" can never be verified, mainly due to the aspects of god/s made by their followers that make it unfalsifiable. For example Christians, by placing their god outside the universe, have made him/she/it untestable so we cannot know it doesn't exist. The best I can claim is that I am 99.9% convinced there are no gods.

Other terms such as realist are not satisfactory because a lack of belief doesn't neccessarily make you believe in reality. Take Bill Maher. On one hand he makes the excellent doco Religulous and on the other he has some unrealistic views on health.
JAYCEE

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Dec 24, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Whereas your belief in BS is so complete that it is the only thing you speak.
So I take it you are an expert in B.S. yourself to pass judgement.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#11 Dec 24, 2011
FBOMBER wrote:
Aussie Mark doesn't believe vaccines cause autism, that makes him a twit.
One doesn't need to believe vaccines cause autism when the objective evidence proves they don't. Belief in the face of strong evidence is called ignorace - something that fbumber is.

Actually I think he knows the truth but admitting it would ruin whatever scam alt med con he sells.
Christian witness

Mannford, OK

#12 Dec 25, 2011
You can get infected from vaccinations, they are not 100% effective.

Many people received Small Pox from that vaccination.
Pastor Richard Dawkins

Great Neck, NY

#14 Dec 25, 2011
God says fools say in their hearts that there is no God.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#15 Dec 25, 2011
Pastor Richard Dawkins wrote:
No, actually it's just something written in your buybull. But then it also says something in Matthew about what happens to people who call other "fools" now doesn't it?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#16 Dec 25, 2011
I found the whole essay quite interesting.

" http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/... ;

And made me long for the days to come, when religion in the USA is as diminished and low-key as it is in Great Briton.

Alas, I probably shall not live that long-- evil is what it is, and religion certainly thrives on and perpetuates more evil than anything else.
redneck

Glendale, OR

#17 Dec 25, 2011
Who says? He spoke to you? You just don't get it.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#18 Dec 25, 2011
Christian witness wrote:
You can get infected from vaccinations
This rarely occurred in the past but does not happen now due to better understanding of immunology. Also the percentage who were infected was minute and usually had a less severe form of disease.
Christian witness wrote:
they are not 100% effective.
This is called the 'nirvana fallacy'. As parachutes are not 100% effective would you jump out of a plane without one?
Christian witness wrote:
Many people received Small Pox from that vaccination.
This is just nonsense. You cannot get smallpox from the vaccination as it was based on cowpox. Get you head out of your bible and read something useful like a science textbook.
Mark

Canberra, Australia

#19 Dec 25, 2011
Here is a puzzle for the believers off god/s:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#21 Dec 25, 2011
Did he set in your living room and tell you that?

“Better Dead than red!”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#22 Dec 26, 2011
When that moment comes and your at deaths door, you WILL believe in god buddy.. Believe THAT!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#23 Dec 26, 2011
starringuandi wrote:
When that moment comes and your at deaths door, you WILL believe in god buddy.. Believe THAT!
So fear is the only argument you've got. Pathetic.

And Pascal's Wager is a stupid argument to begin with. Even if you consider belief is better than non-belief, you still have done nothing about deciding which god is the right one. I bet you spent more time deciding which car to buy than deciding which god to worship.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 56 min Rosco 1,158
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 14 hr Science 1,412
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web