In Kentucky, a Year in Prison for Atheism

Nov 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

A law in Kentucky requires residents and government officials to affirm the existence of an almighty, protective God via a series of plaques installed outside the state Homeland Security building, with a penalty of up to 12 months in prison for failure to comply.

http://kysecurity.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/cert_petition.pdf

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Time to change my residence, and move to Kentucky. Maybe after the the state takes on the feeding and care of several hundred thousand inmates/nonbelievers, some sort of light will go on above these damned fools heads.
Sleep soundly Kentuckians, you god fearing loons and the Satanists will have the free world to yourselves. LOL!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

I never thought Kentucky was full of that many loons.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

“What I do see is an attempt to separate America from its history of perceiving itself as a nation under God.”
Another way to look at 'what he sees' is that atheists are now speaking out and honestly stating our disbelief in god(s), including Abrahamic ones. Superstition, including religion, is simply being undermined by education and science.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
It's that simple (and that puts the 'fear of God' into him!:-)

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

We have a saying here:-

"Only in America"

If they tried something like that here.... well they would not even try.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
We have a saying here:-
"Only in America"
If they tried something like that here.... well they would not even try.
That's because the US is much more religious than the UK.

Imagine that.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

It turns out, though, that the people required to comply--by putting up the plaques--are the stat director of homeland security and his staff, not ordinary citizens. Much ado about nothing, I'm afraid. The plaques only make the state look foolish.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
It turns out, though, that the people required to comply--by putting up the plaques--are the stat director of homeland security and his staff, not ordinary citizens. Much ado about nothing, I'm afraid. The plaques only make the state look foolish.
Well, it does place those people, though I don't much care for them, in a position in which they are forced to break state law in order to comply with federal law, since they are federal offices guess which one they'll follow. It makes the state look full of .... morons, for lack of a nicer word.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it does place those people, though I don't much care for them, in a position in which they are forced to break state law in order to comply with federal law, since they are federal offices guess which one they'll follow. It makes the state look full of .... morons, for lack of a nicer word.
True. And that awkward position could get pretty hairy. What do they do when the federal courts order the plaques taken down and the state courts and the governor's office demand that they stay up? tis could get interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••