In Kentucky, a Year in Prison for Ath...

In Kentucky, a Year in Prison for Atheism

There are 8 comments on the Truthdig story from Nov 23, 2012, titled In Kentucky, a Year in Prison for Atheism. In it, Truthdig reports that:

A law in Kentucky requires residents and government officials to affirm the existence of an almighty, protective God via a series of plaques installed outside the state Homeland Security building, with a penalty of up to 12 months in prison for failure to comply.

http://kysecurity.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/cert_petition.pdf

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#1 Nov 23, 2012
Time to change my residence, and move to Kentucky. Maybe after the the state takes on the feeding and care of several hundred thousand inmates/nonbelievers, some sort of light will go on above these damned fools heads.
Sleep soundly Kentuckians, you god fearing loons and the Satanists will have the free world to yourselves. LOL!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2 Nov 23, 2012
I never thought Kentucky was full of that many loons.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3 Nov 23, 2012
“What I do see is an attempt to separate America from its history of perceiving itself as a nation under God.”
Another way to look at 'what he sees' is that atheists are now speaking out and honestly stating our disbelief in god(s), including Abrahamic ones. Superstition, including religion, is simply being undermined by education and science.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
It's that simple (and that puts the 'fear of God' into him!:-)

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#4 Nov 23, 2012
We have a saying here:-

"Only in America"

If they tried something like that here.... well they would not even try.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#5 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
We have a saying here:-
"Only in America"
If they tried something like that here.... well they would not even try.
That's because the US is much more religious than the UK.

Imagine that.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6 Nov 24, 2012
It turns out, though, that the people required to comply--by putting up the plaques--are the stat director of homeland security and his staff, not ordinary citizens. Much ado about nothing, I'm afraid. The plaques only make the state look foolish.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7 Nov 24, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
It turns out, though, that the people required to comply--by putting up the plaques--are the stat director of homeland security and his staff, not ordinary citizens. Much ado about nothing, I'm afraid. The plaques only make the state look foolish.
Well, it does place those people, though I don't much care for them, in a position in which they are forced to break state law in order to comply with federal law, since they are federal offices guess which one they'll follow. It makes the state look full of .... morons, for lack of a nicer word.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#8 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it does place those people, though I don't much care for them, in a position in which they are forced to break state law in order to comply with federal law, since they are federal offices guess which one they'll follow. It makes the state look full of .... morons, for lack of a nicer word.
True. And that awkward position could get pretty hairy. What do they do when the federal courts order the plaques taken down and the state courts and the governor's office demand that they stay up? tis could get interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 38 min woodtick57 10,636
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Paul Porter1 20,497
Is the Christian god good? 2 hr Shizle 3
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 244,720
Atheist believe, they are just hiding!!! 4 hr Richardfs 18
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 6 hr Shizle 7
There is no meaning without God 8 hr Shizle 3
More from around the web