The tyranny of religion and the freed...

The tyranny of religion and the freedom of atheism

There are 177 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jan 15, 2014, titled The tyranny of religion and the freedom of atheism. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

On occasion, the atheist podcast and radio show " Reasonable Doubts " will feature an interview with a high-profile atheist who was formerly a religious activist.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
paps

Pico Rivera, CA

#1 Jan 15, 2014
Yeah there really is freedom in godless China, as it was back in the day in a country formally known as the USSR.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#2 Jan 15, 2014
paps wrote:
Yeah there really is freedom in godless China, as it was back in the day in a country formally known as the USSR.
You're really that much of a clueless and ignorant dumbfuck, aren't you?

Religion is as much an ideology as communism, fascism and Nazism. They all drink from the same toilet and behave in the same way.

Atheism is an absence of religion and an absence of ideology.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3 Jan 16, 2014
No doubt paps prefers the sweet air of freedom redolent in theocracies like Iran and Afghanistan. There was a time when the christian religion was the preeminent force in Europe. We call that time "The Dark Ages".

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Denis Diderot

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#4 Jan 17, 2014
P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You're really that much of a clueless and ignorant dumbfuck, aren't you?
Religion is as much an ideology as communism, fascism and Nazism. They all drink from the same toilet and behave in the same way.
Atheism is an absence of religion and an absence of ideology.
Atheism drinks from the same toilet as the rest as atheists behave in the same way as the rest except their actions aren't based/predicated in theism. Understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#5 Jan 17, 2014
Amused wrote:
No doubt paps prefers the sweet air of freedom redolent in theocracies like Iran and Afghanistan. There was a time when the christian religion was the preeminent force in Europe. We call that time "The Dark Ages".
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
Denis Diderot
So also insinuated the leaders of a country who's men were in space stated they saw no God so the leaders declared that was proof there was no god and insinuated atheism was alive and well to run the country, not a god that was proved to not be seen in outer space. And we know how successful that atheistic run government turned out not be
Life's gonna suck at times whether theism or atheism exists or doesn't exist, just saying.

Since: Nov 12

Salem, MA

#6 Jan 17, 2014
Although religion has been used for tyranny for thousands of years to this very day, it's however nonsense to suggest Atheism means "Freedom"..All atheism deals with is whether or not a god exists. It doesn't strip us of the human condition, or some asshole(s) who want power and control over the masses.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#7 Jan 18, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism drinks from the same toilet as the rest as atheists behave in the same way as the rest except their actions aren't based/predicated in theism. Understand?
Yeah, your post was clear as mud.

Apparently you had nothing to say, and since you don't even know what being an atheist consists of, you could not know how to go about insulting us.

We are simply without the indoctrination that makes you a theist, we are the tea without sugar or lemon, we are the car without decals, we are the garments without labels. We are all we need be, without embellishments.

Your god, your religion, your theism, are all embelishments. Not at all necessary, but they define your sect, designate your club,and mark you one of "them".

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#8 Jan 18, 2014
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, your post was clear as mud.
Apparently you had nothing to say, and since you don't even know what being an atheist consists of, you could not know how to go about insulting us.
We are simply without the indoctrination that makes you a theist, we are the tea without sugar or lemon, we are the car without decals, we are the garments without labels. We are all we need be, without embellishments.
Your god, your religion, your theism, are all embelishments. Not at all necessary, but they define your sect, designate your club,and mark you one of "them".
I do know what a atheist is. They have no belief/reasoning in a deity as purposed by theism. The fact you assumed I didn't know that means you made an *ss of your mentality. Your atheistic mentality. And as stated by another poster, it doesn't take a belief in theism to make one self an *sshole to others as you just did to me. You can be a fine atheist and be an *sshole as you have proven without having a belief in theism. Understand?
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#9 Jan 19, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know what a atheist is. They have no belief/reasoning in a deity as purposed by theism. The fact you assumed I didn't know that means you made an *ss of your mentality. Your atheistic mentality. And as stated by another poster, it doesn't take a belief in theism to make one self an *sshole to others as you just did to me. You can be a fine atheist and be an *sshole as you have proven without having a belief in theism. Understand?
It may be a natural assumption that you don't know what an atheist is. Religionists seem to vary in their opinions (or try to obfuscate, quote, "They have no belief/reasoning in a deity as purposed by theism"!!) but the dictionary seems clear enough...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheism

Most non-believers here are "1",(Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods), we see no good reason for belief in Abrahamic god(s) or any of the god(s) currently defined.
godchecker.com

There is no reason to suppose that the Universe had a creator but if it did, we have no evidence of the entity or force,(much less a reason to call it a 'him' or to worship it).

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#10 Jan 19, 2014
This is spot-on:
Amused wrote:
Denis Diderot
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#11 Jan 19, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, religion doesn't make people better than atheists. All of us should get that, religionist or not..
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-mu...

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#12 Jan 19, 2014
I am christian. I am free to choose my faith, my favourite food, where i want to go, when i want to use my laptop, whether to work or stay lazy, sleep whenever i want.

I am free.

Earth,TX

#13 Jan 19, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The following post is absolute proof that you have no understanding that to be an atheist, one must only be "not theist". The letter "a" before theist means not. Nothing more.

>>>> "No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism drinks from the same toilet as the rest as atheists behave in the same way as the rest except their actions aren't based/predicated in theism. Understand".

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#14 Jan 19, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>It may be a natural assumption that you don't know what an atheist is. Religionists seem to vary in their opinions (or try to obfuscate, quote, "They have no belief/reasoning in a deity as purposed by theism"!!) but the dictionary seems clear enough...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheism
Most non-believers here are "1",(Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods), we see no good reason for belief in Abrahamic god(s) or any of the god(s) currently defined.
godchecker.com
There is no reason to suppose that the Universe had a creator but if it did, we have no evidence of the entity or force,(much less a reason to call it a 'him' or to worship it).
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Thank you for your post. But the other poster accused me of not knowing what a atheist is. That was his bad. His asking, not accusing, would have been a better option to civility.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#15 Jan 19, 2014
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The following post is absolute proof that you have no understanding that to be an atheist, one must only be "not theist". The letter "a" before theist means not. Nothing more.
>>>> "No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism drinks from the same toilet as the rest as atheists behave in the same way as the rest except their actions aren't based/predicated in theism. Understand".
That reply I originally made was a blanket statement to the other poster that made a blanket statement of theists. You found fault with me saying such yet you found no fault with the other poster doing the same thing. That would make you a prejudicial bigot by definition.
I know what a/an atheist is. The fact that you continue as an immature child having a hissy fit yelling that I don't know in spite of the fact that I do know also makes you an idiot at the least.
Now have another immature childish rant if you wish. I'm sure you will any way.
SHOW ME YOUR SPACE AGE

Olivehurst, CA

#16 Jan 19, 2014
Actually the people who are selling themselves as prostitutes to be with the other side are the children of ATHEISTS

selling themselves to THEISTS

so they can get away from that ATHEIST STENCH.
Amused wrote:
Denis Diderot
SHOW ME YOUR SPACE AGE

Olivehurst, CA

#17 Jan 19, 2014
No doubt you prefer the scintillating smell of a nation the size of a continent simply melting down in front of the entire globe with their daughters selling themselves to get away from Atheist Utopia.

What this boils down to is you need to go get on my Christianic Empire's electronic space age internet and find that Great Atheist Society.

The one that invented a printing press. Oh that's right you had an eighth million years and never invented scratching your name in mud. Theists are the first people to have had any kind of alphabetical writing system at all.

The Christianic civilization that started the industrial age challenges you to find the great Atheist Society and see if it had internal combustion engines, modern chemistry and metallurgy, polymolecular technologies air travel, submarine travel, and an electrical age.

=======
IF YOUR GREAT ATHEIST SOCIETY HAS THEM FIRST then fine.

But see we know: you ADMIT: YOU WERE around an eighth million years and STILL no INDOOR PLUMBING. You had no electrical age no internal combustion engines, polymolecular technologies comparable to today's modern chemistry.
=======
Then - suddenly - here are these theists and we've got full alphabets, counting systems, sub continental sized empires -

where's the Great Atheist Empire leading it all on?
Oh that's right you fully admit because you can't deny it because

theists invented writing down history and you didn't even manage that

We invented it ALL. We actually have a place for sheltered atheists who don't have to compete in the real world of ideas or they'd get Darwinized. It's called Academia.

The Christianic Empire I invented has an Electronic Space Age Internet.

Does your "great atheist society" that is "leading the intellectual way" have it's very on exciting semiconductor electronic space age?

Mine does.

Yours doesn't.
=======
When you FIND the GREAT ATHEIST CIVILIZATION for ME to COMPARE with MINE

it better have some rovers bouncing around on Mars because my 6,000 years of late coming theism obviously invented that.

And your eighth of a million years old atheism obviously, didn't.

So you keep on biting at those ankles,
and we'll get back to checking the data from our rovers all over the Solar System.

LoL. "We dun fount us uh.. new pair uh dime Ya'W!"

What do ya call it?

"Stabbin' bugs with a stick. If some theist ever invents metal working I'm gonna call it silvur wair. Ya'W."

You're a bunch hicks.
EdSed wrote:
This is spot-on:
<quoted text>

Earth,TX

#18 Jan 19, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your post. But the other poster accused me of not knowing what a atheist is. That was his bad. His asking, not accusing, would have been a better option to civility.
So basically you would have me respond as if I were superior to you? You want from me what you are unwilling to give?

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

You really are a clueless ignorant dumbfuck aren't you?

Earth,TX

#19 Jan 19, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
That reply I originally made was a blanket statement to the other poster that made a blanket statement of theists. You found fault with me saying such yet you found no fault with the other poster doing the same thing. That would make you a prejudicial bigot by definition.
I know what a/an atheist is. The fact that you continue as an immature child having a hissy fit yelling that I don't know in spite of the fact that I do know also makes you an idiot at the least.
Now have another immature childish rant if you wish. I'm sure you will any way.
Don't you have another cheek to turn?

Earth,TX

#20 Jan 19, 2014
SHOW ME YOUR SPACE AGE wrote:
Actually the people who are selling themselves as prostitutes to be with the other side are the children of ATHEISTS
selling themselves to THEISTS
so they can get away from that ATHEIST STENCH.
<quoted text>
Ahh, yet another ignorant dumbfuck. Do you really think children who have not been slathered in guilt bent to the whip, are just pining away wanting some pain and angst, for their very own?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Knowledge- 243,461
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr USaWarringIdiotSo... 9,438
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr Brian_G 19,796
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 18 hr thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Sat Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web